20517 replies to this topic

#19681 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 24 September 2018 - 06:18 AM

Classic BattleTech artwork is awful and at the same time amazing. It hasn't aged well, but it also is an interesting snapshot into the time period in which it was designed.

Regardless of how the mech art has aged, they are still iconic and at the same time amd often easily recognizable even after Alex puts his own unique touch on it.

#19682 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 24 September 2018 - 07:08 AM

I had great experiences with MW2, but the Phantom (and Pouncer, to a lesser extent) are not the best candidates for being brought to MWO.

If you think about MWO's "Timeline" and what will happen once MW:5 comes out, I think it's time we look at the monthly mech additions as precious resources. We need mechs added that at least do a couple of the following:

1. Add a chassis that is sparsely populated at its weight class (hello 25 tons!)
2. Add a chassis with good payload options
3. Add something that could fit in a 3025 or 3050 timeline that can be ported to HBS' BattleTech or MW:5 (future expansion).

Once MW:5 comes out, I really, REALLY doubt we'll see monthly mech releases. So we need these last 6-12 releases to be at least good.

#19683 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:26 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 September 2018 - 05:48 PM, said:

Yes, just showing some of the optional weapons that the modeler insists on gluing on like fleas.

I also like the pistol grip medium laser. I don't mind the arm vambrace style lasers either, but I always feel like mechs need hands when they are light recon/raiders for picking up supplies, etc.

Good work on those hands and the laser.

#19684 Josh Seles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:00 PM

View PostMarauder3D, on 24 September 2018 - 07:08 AM, said:

I had great experiences with MW2, but the Phantom (and Pouncer, to a lesser extent) are not the best candidates for being brought to MWO.

If you think about MWO's "Timeline" and what will happen once MW:5 comes out, I think it's time we look at the monthly mech additions as precious resources. We need mechs added that at least do a couple of the following:

1. Add a chassis that is sparsely populated at its weight class (hello 25 tons!)
3. Add something that could fit in a 3025 or 3050 timeline that can be ported to HBS' BattleTech or MW:5 (future expansion).

Once MW:5 comes out, I really, REALLY doubt we'll see monthly mech releases. So we need these last 6-12 releases to be at least good.

That leads right into the only 2 mechs I actually wouldn't mind seeing introduced into MWO:
The Fire Falcon and Sagittaire.

#19685 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:15 AM

A shame, but basically only the Phantom-C would pose any significant threat, and only at point blank range with massed uER.

#19686 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:23 AM

Well some have been advocating this for a while but there's not always a consensus on what's good, etc. There's also the issue of a strong chassis being borked on implementation. Still I'll go along with this.

6 IS mechs and 6 Clan mechs. Which ones does everyone pick?
IS
1. Dragonfire
2. Anvil/Lancelot
3. Lynx
4. Saggitaire
5. Gunslinger
6. Nexus/Brigand

Clan
1. Black Python
2. Fire Falcon
3. Warhammer IIC/Phoenix Hawk IIc
4. Grizzly
5. Horned Owl
6. Mongrel (Known mostly as the Grendal)

I think these picks would do nicely for both sides.

#19687 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:36 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 25 September 2018 - 09:23 AM, said:

Well some have been advocating this for a while but there's not always a consensus on what's good, etc. There's also the issue of a strong chassis being borked on implementation. Still I'll go along with this.

6 IS mechs and 6 Clan mechs. Which ones does everyone pick?
IS
1. Dragonfire
2. Anvil/Lancelot
3. Lynx
4. Saggitaire
5. Gunslinger
6. Nexus/Brigand

Clan
1. Black Python
2. Fire Falcon
3. Warhammer IIC/Phoenix Hawk IIc
4. Grizzly
5. Horned Owl
6. Mongrel (Known mostly as the Grendal)

I think these picks would do nicely for both sides.

For IS:
1- Wasp
2- Raptor
3- Men Shen
4- Argus
5- Crusader
6- Gunslinger
7- Saggitaire
8- Pillager

For Clan:
1- Fire Moth
2- Fire Falcon
3- Hellhound
4- Rifleman IIC
5- Warhammer IIC
6- Turkina
7- Stone Rhino
8- Bane

[/MWO]

#19688 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:39 AM

Oh, there are a lot of IS Mechs I want. My current top 5:
  • Lynx
  • Lancelot
  • Excalibur
  • Falconer
  • Brigand

When it comes to Clan Mechs I only want two:
  • Stooping Hawk
  • Crimson Langur

#19689 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:59 AM

I was trying to keep in the 6 to 12 mechs Marauder was talking about but there are so many good choices still left.
1. Men Shen
2. Falconer
3. Raptor
4. Flashman
5. Raijin

To name a few

#19690 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:24 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 25 September 2018 - 09:59 AM, said:

I was trying to keep in the 6 to 12 mechs Marauder was talking about but there are so many good choices still left.
1. Men Shen
2. Falconer
3. Raptor
4. Flashman
5. Raijin

To name a few

So my top 6 IS is pretty biased:
1. Wasp (20 tons)
2. Crusader (65 tons)
3. Ostroc/Sol (60 tons, very similar Artwork)
4. Marauder II (100 tons)
5. Longbow (85 tons)
6. Men Shen (55 Ton IS Omni)

Top 6 Clan:

1. Firemoth (20 Tons, speed issues)
2. Fire Falcon (25 Tons)
3. Warhammer IIC (80 Ton BattleMech)
4. Black Python (75 Ton Clan BattleMech)
5. Rifleman IIC (65 Ton Clan BattleMech)
6. Turkina (95 Tons)

For clans, I prefer the Omnis over the BattleMechs generally, but I'd take any of those. However, I kind of doubt PGI will do those. Mostly because I like them. :P

#19691 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:50 AM

View PostMarauder3D, on 25 September 2018 - 10:24 AM, said:

So my top 6 IS is pretty biased:
1. Wasp (20 tons)
2. Crusader (65 tons)
3. Ostroc/Sol (60 tons, very similar Artwork)
4. Marauder II (100 tons)
5. Longbow (85 tons)
6. Men Shen (55 Ton IS Omni)

Top 6 Clan:

1. Firemoth (20 Tons, speed issues)
2. Fire Falcon (25 Tons)
3. Warhammer IIC (80 Ton BattleMech)
4. Black Python (75 Ton Clan BattleMech)
5. Rifleman IIC (65 Ton Clan BattleMech)
6. Turkina (95 Tons)

For clans, I prefer the Omnis over the BattleMechs generally, but I'd take any of those. However, I kind of doubt PGI will do those. Mostly because I like them. Posted Image

You sir, have a very good taste.

#19692 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 25 September 2018 - 01:05 PM

Hmm, theoretical 6-12 mech releases of high value that the game needs and/or would be valuable for HBS Battletech and/or MW5? . . . If we're going to make the choices really count, then I personally think we need to flesh out a lot of the lighter tonnage brackets that are sorely lacking in MWO; and this starvation translates directly over into HBS Battletech's already existent and MW5's impending starvation in the same brackets. Here are my picks:

Top 6 IS choices:
1. Wasp - 20 ton jumper with broad diversity in variants. Perfect pick for the weight class . . . let alone classic heritage.
2. Mongoose - 25 ton energy boat with unique appearance, high base speed, and diversity in variants (very little -if any- hardpoint fudging is needed just to differentiate variants). It also provides a direct opposite choice to the missile-heavy Commando.
3. Nexus or Brigand - 25 tonners for the starved bracket, both provide solid choices and solid variants for what the bracket needs. Both jump, both have ECM . . . and while the Nexus eeks out a slight edge with an AMS variant and higher speed, the Brigand has an edge in firepower and variety in variants.
4. Clint - 40 ton trooper mech which is sorely needed. Sadly the greatest diversity in variants also requires new tech . . . but there is reasonable diversity already; and the new tech in later variants piggy-backs existing variants in most ways (but we could also really use LACs and Plasma Rifles . . . just saying).
5. Crusader - 65 ton jack of all trades with excellent variety among variants. Gives direct contrast to the dedicated Ballistic Boat Jager, Missile Boat Catapult, and -typically- Energy Boating Thunderbolt. The classic heritage of the mech is also sorely needed in MWO.
6. Thug - 80 ton extremely unique design, SLDF roots, ECM variant (possibly multiple if the many C3 variants see a swap to ECM), potential jumping variants (hero and/or PGI created variants), and plenty of wiggle room for PGI to tinker with unique MWO variants.

Close Runner Up - Longbow 85 tons - Needs some new tech, but with LAC's we'd have an 85 ton dedicated ballistic platform in the 13NAIS, something lacking in the bracket, and a lot of variants use tech not in MWO. Also the strong heritage with reasonable differentiation in variants make it desirable. PGI could easily "fudge" new "P" variants to mimic some of the unique variants that use new tech.

Top 6 Clans Choices:
1. Firemoth - 20 tonner, speed is no longer an issue as per PGI's own words . . . they just need to grow a pair and do it. This mech is sorely needed for both heritage and diversity in omnipods.
2. Commando IIC - Sorely needed clan Battlemech in 25 ton bracket. LOTS of room for PGI to create variants to fill in role gaps that the base Commando IIC and Mist Lynx fail to fill. Locust IIC was considered . . . but it mimics the Mist Lynx too much in speed profile and hardpoint configurations.
3. Horned Owl/Peregrine - 35 ton Clan Battlemech answer to the Wolfhound. Gives the Clans a solid 35 ton trooper type mech that provides a direct opposite option to the Jenner IIC's raw speed.
4. Griffin IIC - 40 ton Clan Battlemech trooper. Better jack-of-all-trades potential in the tonnage bracket vs. Arctic Wolf or Viper. Clans also need a solid 40 ton Battlemech option with more variety than the given Arctic Wolf variants.
5. Grendel/Mongrel - 45 ton Clan Omnimech cavalry unit. Strikes a middle ground to the over-engined Ice Ferret or MASC dependent Shadow Cat, while still sporting great omnipod variety.
6. Shadow Hawk IIC - 45 ton Clan Trooper. Some variants require new tech (AP Gauss and Plasma Cannons, please), but there's still plenty of solid variants in the chassis. Also, stock use of STD engine means MWO Mech Lab upgrades provide great potential to exploit the available tonnage from a likely lower engine cap. Also, clans have no 45 ton Battlemech option.

Edited by Sereglach, 25 September 2018 - 01:23 PM.

#19693 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 September 2018 - 03:54 PM

You are going to have to elaborate on the Pouncer not being a good candidate. People complain that it is essentially a "jumping adder" but I don't understand what the issue is. It's stock variants are mostly solid builds to begin with and having an "adder-style" mech would be a great addition that I can already imagine many uses for.

#19694 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 25 September 2018 - 03:59 PM

Relevant:

Posted Image

Edited by FupDup, 25 September 2018 - 07:36 PM.

#19695 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:28 PM

Well, after maxing the armor, the Pouncer is going to have 14 tons to play with. Nothing to sneeze at, and some of the configs are decent.

However, I don’t think anyone will debate that in MWO, jump jets suck. So taking an Adder, and hardwiring in 5 jump jets, really doesn’t objectively make it any better. And, to state the obvious, we already have one Adder. If we are only getting a finite amount more clan releases before Mw5 drops, I’d like it to be a bit more unique.

#19696 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:33 PM

View PostMarauder3D, on 25 September 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

Well, after maxing the armor, the Pouncer is going to have 14 tons to play with. Nothing to sneeze at, and some of the configs are decent.

However, I don’t think anyone will debate that in MWO, jump jets suck. So taking an Adder, and hardwiring in 5 jump jets, really doesn’t objectively make it any better. And, to state the obvious, we already have one Adder. If we are only getting a finite amount more clan releases before Mw5 drops, I’d like it to be a bit more unique.

Medium-class JJs are actually quite good. It's just heavy and assault JJs that truly suck popsickles.

As for armor it looks like it'll actually be 14.5 tons, not 15.5 like I wrote above. I must have calculated that wrong somehow, now I have to re-upload it in a few minutes...

EDIT: Fixed the above spreadsheet now.

Edited by FupDup, 25 September 2018 - 07:36 PM.

#19697 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:47 PM

Alright, let’s call it 14.5 ton payload, which is way better than a Viper. So that is a plus.

However, a unique chassis would be the 20 ton Firemoth or 25 ton Fire Falcon. I stand by the fact that is just a fat Adder spending 2.5 tons on jump jets.

#19698 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:48 PM

View PostMarauder3D, on 25 September 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

Medium class JJ are very solid. Especially for a 40 ton mech, which will get the most benefit. Lightest weight in class means it will fly very, very well. It might look like an Adder, but I've always said that the Pouncer shares more design queues with the Nova, at 10 tons lighter, when you look at how it's constructed as far as hardwired equipment and pods go. Additional hardwired DHS and jump jets, and with many, many energy hardpoint omnipods.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 25 September 2018 - 07:49 PM.

#19699 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 26 September 2018 - 02:06 AM

Is it just me, or does the name Pouncer sound more like the name of a kitten you just picked up from the pound, and less like a Battlemech :).

Looking at it in Sarna it seems pretty solid. It does remind me a lot of an Adder though.

It would be a fine enough mech to add to MWO.

#19700 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 September 2018 - 03:35 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 26 September 2018 - 02:06 AM, said:

Is it just me, or does the name Pouncer sound more like the name of a kitten you just picked up from the pound, and less like a Battlemech Posted Image.

Looking at it in Sarna it seems pretty solid. It does remind me a lot of an Adder though.

It would be a fine enough mech to add to MWO.

I would prefer to see the Coyotl in MWO instead of the Pouncer...

55 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 55 guests, 0 anonymous users