#81 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:06 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 05 January 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

It's improved because they have no choice.

Transverse was their escape card. They even tried to silence all their critics. It blew up so fast, and so hard, Niko was finally fired, and Bryan hasn't been seen in forever. Russ seems to have replaced Paul, finally, and many of the bandaids fixes were removed.

Don't pretend even for an instance that all this would have happened had transverse succeeded. They'd be working on closing this game down, and moving the entire company to their new game if the entire internet hadn't thrown a fit.

Well, I don't have to pretend since that claim is all conjecture. Since Transverse (expectedly) imploded, there's only what we have now and no way to validate any alternative timelines of events. I suspect only an egotistical narcissist would ever have believed Transverse would have succeeded what with the likes of Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous out there, but I do not believe Transverse was busy writing MWO's epitaph.

#82 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:07 PM

"Hostage IP"...

Oh man, the rhetoric is strong. Let's throw the word "exploit" in there a few times. Look at all us poor victims, not even knowing how badly we're being abused!

#83 RG Notch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:08 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 05 January 2015 - 12:05 PM, said:

Their hostage IP has become a ball and chain attached to PGI, and if they don't fix it, they'll go down with it.

Karma.

It is awesome isn't. All their time of claiming to care about the IP all the while simply cashing in on 30 years of nostalgia comes back to bite them in the ass. I guess they found that cashing in on this IP wasn't as easy as just copying WoT and using mechs. I guess all their "experience" making grade Z console hunting and fishing games didn't prepare them for this.

#84 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:09 PM

View Postcdlord, on 05 January 2015 - 12:06 PM, said:

Well, I don't have to pretend since that claim is all conjecture. Since Transverse (expectedly) imploded, there's only what we have now and no way to validate any alternative timelines of events. I suspect only an egotistical narcissist would ever have believed Transverse would have succeeded what with the likes of Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous out there, but I do not believe Transverse was busy writing MWO's epitaph.

I take it you didn't listen to the town hall they did before they unleashed transverse, where Russ said that MWO isn't their financial future, and companies need to make more than a single game to survive in today's market.

Because he did say that, and they did ban me and many others for talking about their game and company on third party sites. They did a lot of bad things, actually, and it was apparent they thought for real transverse would work out.

Did you also know that it was being worked on since december 2013? They hired a lot of people, who I assume have now been let go.

#85 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:13 PM

View PostIllya Arkhipova, on 05 January 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

hmmm...most titles are about 60 bucks when released.........

Have yet to pay that for a mech. Are you comparing prices for when they are on sale, or have been out for some time? Because Mechs go on sale, too.

Just saying let's keep it apples to apples, and all. Hyperbole can be fun, but seldom actually makes a compelling argument (unless, apparently you are the American voter.)

Im sorry.
Mechs*
Take for instance the King Crab.
All 3 variants.
3 mechs.

12,045 MC
A new player needs to spend 100 dollars just to get these three mechs.
Not excessive?
(I'm aware it's more little upwards of $50, regardless.)

Edited by Burktross, 05 January 2015 - 12:14 PM.

#86 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:13 PM

View PostHeffay, on 05 January 2015 - 12:07 PM, said:

"Hostage IP"...

Oh man, the rhetoric is strong. Let's throw the word "exploit" in there a few times. Look at all us poor victims, not even knowing how badly we're being abused!

While normally I'd troll you quite hard, in 2015, there's really no need, as you've been reduced to clown status in the community, and should MWO go down, you, NGNG, and every other uber white knight will sink with it.

It's really in your best interest to become a helpful contributor to the community, Heffay. You know, redeeming yourself. Turning over a new leaf. All that good stuff.

I'll be over here enjoying the CW saga. Maybe they'll fix the game, maybe they won't. This is the one time in 3 years I'm not sure of what's actually gonna happen.

#87 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:15 PM

View PostRG Notch, on 05 January 2015 - 12:08 PM, said:

It is awesome isn't. All their time of claiming to care about the IP all the while simply cashing in on 30 years of nostalgia comes back to bite them in the ass. I guess they found that cashing in on this IP wasn't as easy as just copying WoT and using mechs. I guess all their "experience" making grade Z console hunting and fishing games didn't prepare them for this.

At this point, they have to make this work.
If MWO fails, these guys aren't gonna find work in the industry again.

It's ok to fail at making a garbage bin fishing game that no one ever plays.

Mechwarrior was actually a major IP. Folks actually know this game exists.

View PostIllya Arkhipova, on 05 January 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

hmmm...most titles are about 60 bucks when released.........

Have yet to pay that for a mech.

We can see your clan pack icon.

#88 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:15 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 05 January 2015 - 12:09 PM, said:

I take it you didn't listen to the town hall they did before they unleashed transverse, where Russ said that MWO isn't their financial future, and companies need to make more than a single game to survive in today's market.

Because he did say that, and they did ban me and many others for talking about their game and company on third party sites. They did a lot of bad things, actually, and it was apparent they thought for real transverse would work out.

Did you also know that it was being worked on since december 2013? They hired a lot of people, who I assume have now been let go.

I don't know of any successful companies that put all their eggs in one basket TBH. I never expected MWO to be a company's entire sole financial future. That's just stupid. But to extrapolate that to mean MWO was to be shut down (therefore leaving Transverse as their only game) is equally stupid.

I want PGI to develop more games, lessons learned in one can have synergy in others. Obviously this would be a one-way street for a time, but things would eventually even out. Anyone expecting MWO to last forever are kidding themselves, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect 5-10 years out of it.

#89 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:18 PM

View Postcdlord, on 05 January 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

I don't know of any successful companies that put all their eggs in one basket TBH. I never expected MWO to be a company's entire sole financial future. That's just stupid. But to extrapolate that to mean MWO was to be shut down (therefore leaving Transverse as their only game) is equally stupid.

I want PGI to develop more games, lessons learned in one can have synergy in others. Obviously this would be a one-way street for a time, but things would eventually even out. Anyone expecting MWO to last forever are kidding themselves, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect 5-10 years out of it.

You can listen to the pre-transverse hubris on youtube, man. Also look up transverse on the reddits, or the internet in general.

Draw your own conclusions from all of it.

#90 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:19 PM

View Postcdlord, on 05 January 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

I don't know of any successful companies that put all their eggs in one basket TBH.

MOST game companies, when they start, put their eggs in one basket.

The huge successful game companies, while they may have multiple large projects underway at once now, started out by making ONE awesome game. Not a bunch of mediocre ones.

#91 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:21 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 05 January 2015 - 12:18 PM, said:

You can listen to the pre-transverse hubris on youtube, man. Also look up transverse on the reddits, or the internet in general.

Draw your own conclusions from all of it.

I already have and they are in direct conflict with your conclusions. Since you seem entitled to spout it, so am I.

View PostRoland, on 05 January 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

The huge successful game companies, while they may have multiple large projects underway at once now, started out by making ONE awesome game. Not a bunch of mediocre ones.

MWO is one awesome game. I'm sorry you cannot see that. PGI is allowed to stretch their legs, it's been a while.

#92 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:23 PM

View PostRoland, on 05 January 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

They most certainly didn't start by copying what was at the time the newest, hottest thing, only to express they wanted to drop it to advance to space crowdfund- I mean the new-newest, hottest thing when the money started drying up, and the bad press got too bad.

If MWO had been a finished, functional, working game, and the community wasn't at war with the developer (said developer banning people for talking about them on third party forums), then no one would have hated on their second game.

But that wasn't our position at the time. Everybody's gotta sit down, take a deep breath, and accept reality. There really are no more excuses, no more saturday morning cartoon plots to silence critics, and no more space game escape cards.

A lot of people will, like always, come to PGI's aid. This is stupid, and one of many reasons we ended up in such a bad spot to begin with. MWO needs to be fixed. It needs to be completed. Years of bandaids and lack of forethought must be dealt with, and that shining robot shooter core that is so very good must be surrounded by just as good a framework.

If this doesn't happen, MWO is DEAD. All the money, time, and hard work everybody put into the title will simply cease to exist. We need a good steam release, and lots of good things we can point to when the entire internet reminds us of how bad this game was, about the P2W 'early access totally serious guys' clan release, transverse, IGP, delays, lies, position changes, islands, Niko's quarterly firestorms, and more.

Do you all understand?

Edited by Vassago Rain, 05 January 2015 - 12:28 PM.

#93 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:23 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 05 January 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

While normally I'd troll you quite hard, in 2015, there's really no need, as you've been reduced to clown status in the community, and should MWO go down, you, NGNG, and every other uber white knight will sink with it.

I'll throw that down with every other prediction you've gotten wrong on this game, including the countless predictions of the demise of MWO you gave in 2014.

Poor Vassago... the more MWO succeeds, the more you become irrelevant. You wanted to be the canary that sung the impending doom of MWO and to save countless customers from spending money on the game that you predicted was doomed to fail. So wrong. So very, very wrong. No wonder you're so bitter.

#94 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:24 PM

View Postcdlord, on 05 January 2015 - 12:21 PM, said:

MWO is one awesome game. I'm sorry you cannot see that. PGI is allowed to stretch their legs, it's been a while.

When Transverse was announced, PGI had not even fully implemented the core features which they had promised back prior to closed beta.

Hell, Community Warfare isn't even completed TODAY.

#95 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:28 PM

View PostRoland, on 05 January 2015 - 12:24 PM, said:

When Transverse was announced, PGI had not even fully implemented the core features which they had promised back prior to closed beta.

Hell, Community Warfare isn't even completed TODAY.

Ah, still referencing the days when IGP was still pulling the financial strings.

Let it go man. New year, PGI is on track (and ahead in some respects). They don't deserve your pessimism now. Speak with your wallet, that's your prerogative, but on these forums, I and many others will be here to counter it.

#96 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:29 PM

View Postcdlord, on 05 January 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

Ah, still referencing the days when IGP was still pulling the financial strings.

Let it go man. New year, PGI is on track (and ahead in some respects). They don't deserve your pessimism now. Speak with your wallet, that's your prerogative, but on these forums, I and many others will be here to counter it.

IGP were totally responsible for transverse, guys.

View PostHeffay, on 05 January 2015 - 12:23 PM, said:

I'll throw that down with every other prediction you've gotten wrong on this game, including the countless predictions of the demise of MWO you gave in 2014.

Poor Vassago... the more MWO succeeds, the more you become irrelevant. You wanted to be the canary that sung the impending doom of MWO and to save countless customers from spending money on the game that you predicted was doomed to fail. So wrong. So very, very wrong. No wonder you're so bitter.

Yeah, man. I'm so wrong so often that everybody knows me, and other developers ask me for input on how to properly develop their games.

Pass me the bong, bro.

#97 Illya Ghost Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 500 posts
  • LocationTaking your planets, eating your cookies.

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:30 PM

View PostBurktross, on 05 January 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

Im sorry.
Mechs*
Take for instance the King Crab.
All 3 variants.
3 mechs.

12,045 MC
A new player needs to spend 100 dollars just to get these three mechs.
Not excessive?
(I'm aware it's more little upwards of $50, regardless.)

I'm sorry I was unaware you HAD to pay money for those.

Also, 100 bucks gets you 24000 mc. A smart person who was too impatient to simply buy them with cbills, would spend 56.90$ and buy 12000 mc plus 1250 more, unless he actually needed that extra 12000 mc for something. SO ....trying to bury reality under exaggeration?

the reality is, for 36$ you can buy the most expensive "exclusive" mech in the game, and since none of those exclusives actually win the internet, they are a luxury, not a necessity.

Edited by Illya Arkhipova, 05 January 2015 - 12:44 PM.

#98 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:31 PM

View Postcdlord, on 05 January 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

He can't let it go. It's part of his personality. Grumpy cats will always be grumpy cats.

There's always someone like that at every party, who complains about everything all the time loudly to anyone who will listen. We have a few around here. Some are posting quite actively in this thread! They are to be pitied, not lashed out at.

#99 Kyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

View PostVassago Rain, on 05 January 2015 - 11:51 AM, said:

Excuses are pretty worthless.

No one cares that IGP was bad at their job. I worked with GW resellers who were really bad at their job, too. Did that somehow limit me to only poor outrider deep strikes? Haha, no.

It's the same with PGI.

Perhaps if they'd done their best, then we'd not be in this position, regardless of IGP, Niko, or what have you. Maybe we'd not have some 10 worthless maps that can't be ported to CW. There might have been a plan - a design document, if you will - that guided them over the years, rather than every quarter being something new to sell more robots.

Perhaps, maybe, but, if. None of that matters now.

They fix it, or they don't. There are no more get ouf of jail free cards, and no one left for them to throw under the bus. Work on the game, make it good, or get slaughtered on steam. I see 500 dollar devoted tags in the CW section who are very critical of this game, while only 3 months ago, they'd be white knighting ultra hard.

Reality's finally set in for everybody.

PGI designed and implemented the game according to the publisher's priorities. The focus on quarterly revenue was obvious, and the reason for that focus is obvious (IGP's collapse in a morass of bad debt). How exactly IGP spent all that money is a mystery, but there we have it.

To a large extent I am more than willing to forgive and forget the past mistakes. What matters now is how PGI goes forward -- they have are now fully in control of both the Horizontal, and the Vertical. ;-)

#100 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

View PostIllya Arkhipova, on 05 January 2015 - 12:30 PM, said:

I'm sorry I was unaware you HAD to pay money for those.

Didn't you know? You can't play this F2P game without buying those 3 mechs! ;)

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users