Letting Omnimechs Remove Jump-Jets & Non-Dhs Locked Equipment!

69 replies to this topic

#41 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:44 PM

So how would this affect the the quad Guass Dwolf lack of ammo. There are some almost OP builds on a few of the other good to superior Clan mechs that could be tweaked to upgrade reg lasers to pulse and or carry some extra heatsinks. Also the original Jump jet lock was to keep the timber wolf from having dual torso mount guass with plenty of ammo. If you want unlocked you will need to play IS mechs and take the extra tonnage and XL kaboom tax.

Each side has its own pluses and drawbacks, and both sides have plenty of mediocre to just bad variants. Omni pods on clan mechs make mediocre to great lines a ton easier and more fun to master. An IS line may really be bad with the possible exception of one variant, but some of the clan variants can really stink no matter how you adjust it. Seems balanced to me.

Any adjustment will need to be in adjusting individual mechs. If the mech is bad, do not drive it (applies to both clan and IS)

#42 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:48 PM

View PostChuck YeaGurr, on 24 March 2015 - 09:44 PM, said:

So how would this affect the the quad Guass Dwolf lack of ammo. There are some almost OP builds on a few of the other good to superior Clan mechs that could be tweaked to upgrade reg lasers to pulse and or carry some extra heatsinks. Also the original Jump jet lock was to keep the timber wolf from having dual torso mount guass with plenty of ammo. If you want unlocked you will need to play IS mechs and take the extra tonnage and XL kaboom tax.

Each side has its own pluses and drawbacks, and both sides have plenty of mediocre to just bad variants. Omni pods on clan mechs make mediocre to great lines a ton easier and more fun to master. An IS line may really be bad with the possible exception of one variant, but some of the clan variants can really stink no matter how you adjust it. Seems balanced to me.

Any adjustment will need to be in adjusting individual mechs. If the mech is bad, do not drive it (applies to both clan and IS)

well this Change will only affect those Omni-mechs that where created around JumpJets(MLX NVA SMN)
and would not change those Omni-Mechs with them Welded onto a single Variants Chass(KFX-S TBR-S DWF-S)

to recap
(all Omnis that are Built around JJs will have them unlocked)
(all Omnis with only 1JJ Variant would have those JJs Locked)
Edit-this

Edited by Andi Nagasia, 25 March 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#43 Anakha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 172 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

Would love to see this change implemented. It would definitely help balance the weaker clan chassis.

#44 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:01 PM

View PostAnakha, on 26 March 2015 - 09:26 AM, said:

Would love to see this change implemented. It would definitely help balance the weaker clan chassis.

i agree

#45 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:44 PM

I'm extremely disappointed in the Mist Lynx

Edited by Xetelian, 31 March 2015 - 06:45 PM.

#46 Adamski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:14 PM

I think the easiest way to explain it is only the PRIME variants/modules can remove the JJ and other non DHS fixed equipment.

I would include the DHS, except the DWF would become too strong with the ability to remove its locked DHS. (But the WHK needs to free up slots in its ST)

That removable equipment would also open up the way to unlocking Endo & Ferro upgrade for all Clan mechs as they would need some of those crit slots for the upgrades.

#47 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:45 PM

Based on my Mechlab experience with MWO and past MechWarrior games the only way for Clan mechs to be fairly balanced is to allow the same Mechlab equipment switches/changes for them all. You could apply the same style of checks that mechs with Ferro Fibrous Armor and Endo Steel get with the critical slots being pre-set, as opposed to the Inner Sphere's dynamic critical slotting, and achieve perfectly balanced Clan mechs.

Then you could effectively balance Clan vs Inner Sphere instead of balancing to control the few Clan mechs that come with Endo and FF and basically pitching the rest into the garbage bin.

#48 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:50 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 31 March 2015 - 07:45 PM, said:

Based on my Mechlab experience with MWO and past MechWarrior games the only way for Clan mechs to be fairly balanced is to allow the same Mechlab equipment switches/changes for them all. You could apply the same style of checks that mechs with Ferro Fibrous Armor and Endo Steel get with the critical slots being pre-set, as opposed to the Inner Sphere's dynamic critical slotting, and achieve perfectly balanced Clan mechs.

Then you could effectively balance Clan vs Inner Sphere instead of balancing to control the few Clan mechs that come with Endo and FF and basically pitching the rest into the garbage bin.

i would agree, and its not like Unlocking these things would throw balance out,
a NVA with Endo loses 7Crits and gains 2.5 Tons, with its JJ removed thats another 2.5 tons,
their arnt many players who would take the Nova over the StormCrow even if the NVA has 21free Tons,
as the SCR could go faster and has better hitboxes, but i would still like the option to customize my NVA,
its a player Choice thing and i should have the Choice to Choose, just look at IS customization,

#49 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:56 PM

View PostAdamski, on 31 March 2015 - 07:14 PM, said:

I think the easiest way to explain it is only the PRIME variants/modules can remove the JJ and other non DHS fixed equipment.

I would include the DHS, except the DWF would become too strong with the ability to remove its locked DHS. (But the WHK needs to free up slots in its ST)

That removable equipment would also open up the way to unlocking Endo & Ferro upgrade for all Clan mechs as they would need some of those crit slots for the upgrades.

this change will simply make Clan(Omni) JJ mechs more viable,
that is those Omni mechs that were built around JJs (MLX NVA SMN),
and wouldnt change the Locked nature of S-Variants(KFX-S TBR-S DWF-S),

#50 Anakha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 172 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:04 PM

[color=#959595]Quirks are just not getting it done at all, two quirk passes now and its just not helping. They just aren't giving any quirks that effect combat performance enough. We need ES and removable JJ's for all clan mechs to balance them.[/color]

#51 RAM

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,019 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:57 PM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 24 January 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

im sorry i just cant agree with that,
mainly because i feel Endo, Ferro, and Locked DHS, are a main part of Clan Balance,
first Omni's shouldn't be able to change their Structure and Armor because they are Omni's,
second the Locked DHS take away some space to limit your placement selection,
both i feel help balance Clan Omni Mechs to Battle Mechs,

that said i can understand your position and can respect your opinion,
i just dont agree with unlocking everything, i dont think it is the right choice,

View PostRAM, on 22 January 2015 - 08:38 PM, said:

Why not just unlock all equipment? Fixed Engines, Endo & Ferro is bad enough.

We only disagree on Heat Sinks - leaving engines, structure and armour fixed is fine.

Unlocking everything would probably not be the right choice, but not unlocking ALL equipment would be equally wrong.

RAM
ELH

#52 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:20 PM

this was once again a question for TownHall but was dodged once again,

#53 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:39 PM

I would agree that some pods could have the JJ removed, but not as an option. If you want an option get an IS mech. This would only open the door for shared tech.

#54 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:40 PM

View PostChuck YeaGurr, on 16 April 2015 - 08:39 PM, said:

I would agree that some pods could have the JJ removed, but not as an option. If you want an option get an IS mech. This would only open the door for shared tech.

why not? why shouldnt a Nova or Summoner be able to remove its JJ?
we arnt talking about S-Variants being able to remove their JJ, just JJ mechs,

and you cant use Lore as a reason why they should be locked,
if so Lore wise IS(BattleMechs) shouldnt be able to change Engines or Upgrades ether,
please remember this is a MechWarrior Game, and some Lore Systems just cant work,
Edit- this

Edited by Andi Nagasia, 16 April 2015 - 08:48 PM.

#55 Anakha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:49 PM

I had posed this question during the Town Hall but NGNG decided to edit the questions i submitted and not ask it to Russ. Pretty dirty on their part.

#56 Kuritaclan

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:05 AM

View PostAnakha, on 16 April 2015 - 09:49 PM, said:

I had posed this question during the Town Hall but NGNG decided to edit the questions i submitted and not ask it to Russ. Pretty dirty on their part.

glad to here it was question queue - not amused that it wasn't worth a talk about.

#57 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:18 AM

just make more omnipods available.

#58 Frostiken

• 1,156 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:41 AM

Really a more ideal solution would be to make jumpjets not almost totally useless.

#59 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:34 AM

Either we follow lore or we dont.

Play to the rules or else everything is on the chopping board.

The benefits of pods is balanced by engines and certain equipment being fixed.

quirks and weapons have been the main tools for balance. Lets keep it that way and not make things more complex

I have seen many people do well with mist, ferret, gargles. That means they are viable if used properly.

Break lore and the game is then no different from any other game. A MIST is not a Mist if suddenly its torso is bristling with weapons.

#60 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:41 AM

I agree with the concept, but as a long time DM/GM I cannot back you up. When I run a game I run it My way. I will listen to teh players suggestions but the final decision is mine.

When I play at someone else's table, I will suggest what works for me, but I let the guy running the game run his game.

No different here. I say what I don't like, but let PGI run their game.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users