Where Are The Wolves...?

225 replies to this topic

#61 Crackzilla

• Pip
  • The Spear
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:58 AM

I jumped ship to Steiner for multiple reasons (Steiner specifically because some friends were there), but the biggest motivating factor to change to IS for me was just how much easier it all is. For less than half the cost of a Timber Wolf, I can get a TDR-9S fully kitted out in what is arguably a better configuration than any non-elited Timber Wolf can manage. It's far cheaper to get supporting mechs too - I already have a WVR-6K and TBT-7M from the time before Clan mechs were around, and because my Stormcrow isn't elited either, my Wolverine ends up doing a better job at the same thing as it.

So for someone who hasn't thrown a ton of real life money into buying up all the Clan mechs, the IS side is just worlds easier to get set up for. If you want to grind out Clan mechs, it's going to take a *long* time to generate all the C-Bills for them.

On top of this, Clan Wolf just has no competitive teams anymore. -GK- jumped ship to Kurita, and all that's left are casual units and lore units getting stomped by competitive tryhard teams. That's really not any fun. Definitely not worth grinding up t he roughly 20 mil I'd need to buy a TImber Wolf and all the Omni pods/weapons for it. I doubt i'd have kept playing long if I spent so long just to get one mech, only to see it wiped out in seconds every time I play it because I don't have the time to practice enough to get on the level of comp teams.

So far as I see, the only real turn-around will happen when Wolf inevitably gets a faction bonus to attract the roaming mercs.

Edit: As for a reset... who cares? If the Wolf OZ is reduced to just the Rock for a few months, it doesn't change that much. Just cut through whatever clans are in your way when you decide to start playing again.

Edited by Crackzilla, 14 January 2015 - 10:59 AM.

#62 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:53 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 14 January 2015 - 10:40 AM, said:

You are the one who claimed that Russ made that statement in that town hall meeting, so the burden of proof is on you to demonstrate that this is in fact the case - that is, the onus is on you to support your own claim. -_-

Likewise, the burden of proof with regard to the Twitter-related claim (which is easier & quicker to prove... or, from my perspective as the skeptic (and as ultimately turned out to be the case), disprove) is on Gyrok (who initially made the claim) & Alexander Steel (who supported the claim).
The onus is on them to support their own claim(s) - which they can't, because said tweet from Russ (e.g. a statement made by him on Twitter indicating that the map would NOT be reset) doesn't exist. :rolleyes:

View PostKain Thul, on 14 January 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

Start at 29:45. He says no reset planned, but that he would leave it up to the players.

At the same time, anyone that is counting on a reset should listen--straight from the horse's mouth it still isn't guaranteed or planned.

I believe you have your answer Sturm.

#63 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:55 AM

View PostCrackzilla, on 14 January 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

I jumped ship to Steiner for multiple reasons (Steiner specifically because some friends were there), but the biggest motivating factor to change to IS for me was just how much easier it all is. For less than half the cost of a Timber Wolf, I can get a TDR-9S fully kitted out in what is arguably a better configuration than any non-elited Timber Wolf can manage. It's far cheaper to get supporting mechs too - I already have a WVR-6K and TBT-7M from the time before Clan mechs were around, and because my Stormcrow isn't elited either, my Wolverine ends up doing a better job at the same thing as it.

So for someone who hasn't thrown a ton of real life money into buying up all the Clan mechs, the IS side is just worlds easier to get set up for. If you want to grind out Clan mechs, it's going to take a *long* time to generate all the C-Bills for them.

On top of this, Clan Wolf just has no competitive teams anymore. -GK- jumped ship to Kurita, and all that's left are casual units and lore units getting stomped by competitive tryhard teams. That's really not any fun. Definitely not worth grinding up t he roughly 20 mil I'd need to buy a TImber Wolf and all the Omni pods/weapons for it. I doubt i'd have kept playing long if I spent so long just to get one mech, only to see it wiped out in seconds every time I play it because I don't have the time to practice enough to get on the level of comp teams.

So far as I see, the only real turn-around will happen when Wolf inevitably gets a faction bonus to attract the roaming mercs.

Edit: As for a reset... who cares? If the Wolf OZ is reduced to just the Rock for a few months, it doesn't change that much. Just cut through whatever clans are in your way when you decide to start playing again.

I would agree that is our biggest fundamental issue with the clans is the huge price difference when it comes to C-bills with no actual benefit for going clan when not only is it cheaper to get going with IS mechs but they get a number of bonuses that makes their builds viable.

Clan mechs really suffer from having to get elite on them to get the most out of the bonuses to make any build for them more viable. Most even meta builds for clan mechs run hot and requires a lot of heat management to play and there isn't anything Clan wise that can come close when it comes to heat efficiency that some of the IS mechs can do which can non-stop alpha. It's stupid how much the Devs favor the innersphere when it comes to balancing but in CW it's quite apparent which side has the advantage right now.

#64 TKSax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:58 AM

View PostChocowolf, on 14 January 2015 - 11:55 AM, said:

It's stupid how much the Devs favor the innersphere when it comes to balancing but in CW it's quite apparent which side has the advantage right now.

Yes is sure is obvious when the Clans have the best 3 or 4 mechs in the game...

#65 Alexander Steel

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:58 AM

It's stupid how much the Devs favor the innersphere when it comes to balancing but in CW it's quite apparent which side has the advantage right now.

That would be the clans. 3 of the top 5 factions in world's taken are clans. 2 of the top 3 are clans. The 4 worst performing factions are all IS.

In fact the ONLY clan that is doing badly in CW is Wolf. :(

#66 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:03 PM

View PostAlexander Steel, on 14 January 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

That would be the clans. 3 of the top 5 factions in world's taken are clans. 2 of the top 3 are clans. The 4 worst performing factions are all IS.

Neither side has any clear, outright "advantage" in 'mechs at this point. Both sides have their popular and unpopular chassis.

#67 Nayonac

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 81 posts
  • LocationKorriban

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:13 PM

Here is the current state of defense for wolf

Posted Image

#68 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:17 PM

Someone is using my drop deck.....

How things change. I remember when CW was in the first week when we were having to drop to defend CJF and CSJ because they had no one and now its us with zero players.

#69 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:22 PM

View PostTKSax, on 14 January 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

Yes is sure is obvious when the Clans have the best 3 or 4 mechs in the game...

I would argue that point as them being the "best" but to each their own I guess still doesn't change the sheer cost differences between IS mechs and Clan and which are easier to get into to play which was the point of my post.

It's quite a significant problem for our sibkos and cadets many not having many clan mechs to choose from and quite often having to field trial mechs to complete the drop decks.

#70 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:37 PM

View PostGyrok, on 13 January 2015 - 09:05 PM, said:

Not good enough, we had plenty of players before...where are they?

Tired of Thunderbolt 9S ERPPC Spam.

Tired of massive stomp.
Tired of playing CW non-stop since a few week.

And also working.^^

Give me a Urbanmech IIC and I'll gladly come back in CW.

#71 TKSax

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:37 PM

View PostChocowolf, on 14 January 2015 - 12:22 PM, said:

I would argue that point as them being the "best" but to each their own I guess still doesn't change the sheer cost differences between IS mechs and Clan and which are easier to get into to play which was the point of my post.

It's quite a significant problem for our sibkos and cadets many not having many clan mechs to choose from and quite often having to field trial mechs to complete the drop decks.

The TW, Crow, and Dire are better than any mech in the Innersphere in the same weight class, The Thunderbolts are close to the TW, and probably equal to the HBR, but the HBR as ECM... Crab is close to the dire, and is lights are great.

I agree with you on the cost, and it seems like the only decent trial mech are the StormCrow and possibly the adder. In I do think the clans could use more mechs for more diversity, but of course they would still have a high cost. Maybe some Champion Builds of Clan mechs would make it easier on new clan members to join in CW without such a high cost of entry.

#72 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:43 PM

think there should be a reset once the CW is totally out of the beta and also it should reset all unit contrats so that units permanently pledged have a chance to choose new without having to pay the downside.

Beta would mean testing, but many people don't test they just play.

#73 Fox Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 375 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North / The Wolfs Den

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:47 PM

Is that mercs fighting for clans like MS or CI fo CGB or actual Clan Units.

#74 Alexander Steel

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:50 PM

It doesn't matter. The way CW works is if mercs are winning the battles, your faction is still winning the battles. If mercs are the key to winning CW then 3 out of 4 clans are using that key.

Edited by Alexander Steel, 14 January 2015 - 12:50 PM.

#75 Fox Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 375 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North / The Wolfs Den

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:54 PM

Cant do badly when ur not playing. When we played, we were the closest to Terra and the top Clan along with CGB but they had 2 huge Merc units.

View PostAlexander Steel, on 14 January 2015 - 12:50 PM, said:

It doesn't matter. The way CW works is if mercs are winning the battles, your faction is still winning the battles. If mercs are the key to winning CW then 3 out of 4 clans are using that key.

Ah ok so it is Mercs, thx.

#76 Sparrow Ward

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:01 PM

https://twitter.com/...454084421931008

#77 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:05 PM

View PostSparrowWard, on 14 January 2015 - 01:01 PM, said:

Continuing to defer to the players is nice (and politically savvy) but I wonder if it will be as simple as a forum poll? I know in the past they have said polls aren't the end-all-be-all since not all players visit here but they still did polls recently for IS 'mechs to be released.

#78 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:06 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 14 January 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

so that units permanently pledged have a chance to choose new without having to pay the downside.

I think that generally an unit that chose permanent loyalty to a faction are not going to change it :P

#79 Alexander Steel

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:09 PM

Cant do badly when ur not playing. When we played, we were the closest to Terra and the top Clan along with CGB but they had 2 huge Merc units.

The number of planets taken do not support this. At Wolf's best they had 1/2 the worlds taken of Ghost Bear. The only reason they were ever closer is because they started closer before people could take world's and that advantage ended. Wolf has always been one of the 2 worst clans, and has fallen to clearly the worst.

I just don't get where the wolf chest bumping comes from. It's not supported by any facts. :lol:

#80 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:11 PM

View PostTKSax, on 14 January 2015 - 12:37 PM, said:

The TW, Crow, and Dire are better than any mech in the Innersphere in the same weight class, The Thunderbolts are close to the TW, and probably equal to the HBR, but the HBR as ECM... Crab is close to the dire, and is lights are great.

I agree with you on the cost, and it seems like the only decent trial mech are the StormCrow and possibly the adder. In I do think the clans could use more mechs for more diversity, but of course they would still have a high cost. Maybe some Champion Builds of Clan mechs would make it easier on new clan members to join in CW without such a high cost of entry.

Neg...

The DW is not better than the KGC, in fact, if you had eyes at all, the KGC pretty much outclasses the DW across the board.

The TW is debatable. Many IS mechs do some crazy things with quirks for considerably less tonnage.

The Stormcrow boats energy better than IS mechs, but some IS mechs boat SRMs or do ballistics significantly better than the SCR. Also, do not forget the SCR has no JJs.

View PostAlexander Steel, on 14 January 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

The number of planets taken do not support this. At Wolf's best they had 1/2 the worlds taken of Ghost Bear. The only reason they were ever closer is because they started closer before people could take world's and that advantage ended. Wolf has always been one of the 2 worst clans, and has fallen to clearly the worst.

I just don't get where the wolf chest bumping comes from. It's not supported by any facts. :lol:

We ceded 3 worlds to Ghost Bear early...

If you go by total planets controlled, at one point wolf held as many as 7 more planets than GB...regardless of what total worlds taken you go by. You can subtract 3 from GB and add 3 to Wolf totals to get the appropriate numbers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users