120 replies to this topic

#41 Scoops Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 716 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 01 February 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

Hopefully Kurita will learn from their successes and use it to face their tougher (at the moment) opponents to the north, and if they use the time to build respect from their opponents, and learn to respect them as well, they may find their defense queues filled with their on again/off again foes.

I'm picking this post not as a personal slight, but because it contains mantra I see repeated over and over in this community as if it were common sense.

If the matches this week are any indication, letting davion help defend our border is only accelerating the clan advance, not slowing or repelling it and I don't mind losing their respect as a unit.

we (NKVA) don't like our opponents. We enjoy not liking them. We enjoy it when they don't like us right back. One of the real problems with this community at large is the unchallenged assumption that unless we all hold ourselves to a pseudo-chivalric code of o7s and <S>'s before and after each round and be friends despite the mechanics of this game we're doing it wrong. This whole attitude is wrong to not just us, but very large segments of the online community as well. Let the hate flow just a little without being relentless scolds about it at every turn. A little hate is healthy for a game about 10 factions fighting for supremacy.

#42 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:06 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 01 February 2015 - 03:02 PM, said:

Yeah, the FRR is the prime example of what happens when you're too proud to ask for help, mock those who want to help you, then belittle everyone for not helping you.

#43 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:07 PM

View PostSocop, on 01 February 2015 - 03:05 PM, said:

If the matches this week are any indication, letting davion help defend our border is only accelerating the clan advance, not slowing or repelling it and I don't mind losing their respect as a unit.

Translation: Kurita doesn't want your help.

Got it.

#44 Scoops Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 716 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:10 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 01 February 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

Got it.

I had the decency to read and respond to your post in good faith, but if this is just about getting your jabs in I'll remember not to bother in the future with people here.

#45 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:13 PM

View PostSocop, on 01 February 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

I had the decency to read and respond to your post in good faith, but if this is just about getting your jabs in I'll remember not to bother in the future with people here.

I'm sorry, how else was I supposed to take that?

#46 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:13 PM

I'm picking this post not as a personal slight, but because it contains mantra I see repeated over and over in this community as if it were common sense.

we (NKVA) don't like our opponents. We enjoy not liking them. We enjoy it when they don't like us right back. One of the real problems with this community at large is the unchallenged assumption that unless we all hold ourselves to a pseudo-chivalric code of o7s and &lt;S&gt;'s before and after each round and be friends despite the mechanics of this game we're doing it wrong. This whole attitude is wrong to not just us, but very large segments of the online community as well. Let the hate flow just a little without being relentless scolds about it at every turn. A little hate is healthy for a game about 10 factions fighting for supremacy.

So dont defend queue kurita worlds... got it... REM was suprised to see a marik 10 man defend and win

#47 Scoops Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 716 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:17 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 01 February 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

I'm sorry, how else was I supposed to take that?

That it's OK for people to have different attitudes about playing the game, and we don't need to straightjacket the whole community into one ideology or purge them.

#48 Valar13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 784 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:20 PM

we (NKVA) don't like our opponents. We enjoy not liking them. We enjoy it when they don't like us right back. One of the real problems with this community at large is the unchallenged assumption that unless we all hold ourselves to a pseudo-chivalric code of o7s and <S>'s before and after each round and be friends despite the mechanics of this game we're doing it wrong. This whole attitude is wrong to not just us, but very large segments of the online community as well. Let the hate flow just a little without being relentless scolds about it at every turn. A little hate is healthy for a game about 10 factions fighting for supremacy.

There's a difference between wanting to succeed, playing to win, and taking the color someone wears in a game to be equivalent to a value judgment on that person.

I'm a fairly competitive player and even I still have the perspective that it is at the end of the day *just* a game that everyone is here to enjoy. If there were no competition, no OPFOR, there's no game to be had. I think "hating" someone because you spend 4-8 hours a day shooting them in virtual robots is a bit far.

#49 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:21 PM

View PostSocop, on 01 February 2015 - 03:17 PM, said:

That it's OK for people to have different attitudes about playing the game, and we don't need to straightjacket the whole community into one ideology or purge them.

That's not the part I quoted.

You said that Davion in your defence queue would only accelerate the Clans advance, I took that to read that you feel the same way about Marik. Looks to me that Mycrus got the same message from your post

So should we just report back to the Marik War Council that NKVA has it covered and we should extend our efforts elsewhere?

#50 Valar13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 784 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:22 PM

And if that's actually the stance of NKVA, that everyone not in your unit/faction is garbage and you *hate* them, I'm a little more reserved in the respect I've held for the way you play matches and the people in your unit, for what little that's probably worth to you.

#51 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:23 PM

Human history shows that cooperative cultures win out over antisocial ones. I'm game with testing that here.

What really kills me is how long it took to recognize the Goons 2.0 unit. NKVA is a pretty witty choice for some mwo randoms and you all showed up with a matching schtick, selling the benefits of antisocial behavior and being anti-conformist conformists.

The NKVA thing is funny but the canon bird people was better.

#52 dervishx5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:23 PM

Pfft you're no fun. We all deserve to be in a straight jacket.

#53 Scoops Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 716 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:25 PM

View PostValar13, on 01 February 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

And if that's actually the stance of NKVA, that everyone not in your unit/faction is garbage and you *hate* them, I'm a little more reserved in the respect I've held for the way you play matches and the people in your unit, for what little that's probably worth to you.

No no no, I mean just the people we fight. We enjoy disliking them, we enjoy the rivalry. I apologize if that part wasn't clear. There's no intended malice to it.

Edited by Socop, 01 February 2015 - 03:25 PM.

#54 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:26 PM

View PostSocop, on 01 February 2015 - 03:25 PM, said:

No no no, I mean just the people we fight. We enjoy disliking them, we enjoy the rivalry. I apologize if that part wasn't clear.

It wasn't.

Fair enough, I can respect that.

#55 Valar13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 784 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:27 PM

View PostSocop, on 01 February 2015 - 03:25 PM, said:

No no no, I mean just the people we fight. We enjoy disliking them, we enjoy the rivalry. I apologize if that part wasn't clear. There's no intended malice to it.

I follow you. I certainly enjoy the rivalry as well, but I've gotten to know too many of the people in all of the units the Rangers have faced for it to not be something of a friendly rivalry. Maybe that's naive of me.

#56 Scoops Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 716 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:31 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 01 February 2015 - 03:23 PM, said:

Human history shows that cooperative cultures win out over antisocial ones. I'm game with testing that here.

What really kills me is how long it took to recognize the Goons 2.0 unit. NKVA is a pretty witty choice for some mwo randoms and you all showed up with a matching schtick, selling the benefits of antisocial behavior and being anti-conformist conformists.

The NKVA thing is funny but the canon bird people was better.

If you think we're goons WoL and FLJK have some words they'd like to share with you.

#57 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:33 PM

I miss WoL.

#58 cranect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 460 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:33 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 01 February 2015 - 02:51 PM, said:

The map though tells all the history on the subject that needs said. Csj and cgb are both so deep onto Kurita space it would take King Arthur to pull them back out.

Certainly we can find a King Arthur somewhere. Somebody has to have the name we just need to find him and make him lead the charge.

#59 Prophetic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 750 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:34 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 01 February 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

Don't get me wrong.
Strategically, Kurita is playing a great game, and it's no dissimilar to what Marik did.

Early on, we were getting our brains beat in by Davion, it was demoralizing.

So we took a week off, beat up on our weaker neighbor (Steiner) and this brought morale back up. After that (and the holiday break) we came back and were able to face the still overwhelming numbers of Davion to a standstill (8 days on Wazan, 3 days on Asuncion, rinse/repeat). Then when the time was right, we were able to take back what we lost.

Hopefully Kurita will learn from their successes and use it to face their tougher (at the moment) opponents to the north, and if they use the time to build respect from their opponents, and learn to respect them as well, they may find their defense queues filled with their on again/off again foes.

Big difference is your weaker neighbor was/is Steiner. I'd say our weaker neighbor is Davion which was your top competition.

We were always successful fighting clans while also being clubbed in the back by Davions. The whole while getting called bads by Those with your attitude.

Since the clans were merced up for the easy pug farming things have gotten really bad. It's ok though every other faction will get their chance to back up their talk. The clans are coming.

it is really funny seeing as how we finally turned around and broke Davion. Something I don't think Marik ever did.
Now all we see is everyone asking us to fight clans again.

So are we bads or were we really the only IS faction holding our own for so long?

View PostRoadbeer, on 01 February 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

Got it.

We don't want your help if your going to cry for thank yous every ceasefire.
Everyone knows we need each other and work toward a common goal.

Let's just do it.

Edited by Prophetic, 01 February 2015 - 03:41 PM.

#60 Valar13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 784 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:40 PM

Prophetic, I trust you aren't going to take this the wrong way, but

1. No one ever accused NS of being bads (Or any of your major units that I can think of)
2. You're hammering us at our weakest. We fought on much more even terms when we had our comp folks committed and on the field.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users