Did Pgi Just Steal From Me?

Store Upgrades

83 replies to this topic

#21 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,975 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:48 AM

Charge twenty people twice and two will pay twice. PGI is really good at customer support after the fact, but that really isn't the point. The point is that the offer and wording could be explained better in game, but they are not.

Any fan of the Deadwood television series will remember that guy in the thoroughfare, "Soap with a guaranteed prize inside!" Yeah.

#22 Wingbreaker

Troubadour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationThe city that care forgot

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:50 AM

I feel like this thread belongs on a clickbait site.

DID PGI JUST STEAL FROM THIS PLAYER? YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE THE INCREDIBLE STORY!

THIS ONE SIMPLE TRICK GOT THIS PLAYER PAINTJOBS! PAUL HATES HIM!

#23 Kenthar

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:51 AM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 06 February 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

Charge twenty people twice and two will pay twice. PGI is really good at customer support after the fact, but that really isn't the point. The point is that the offer and wording could be explained better in game, but they are not.

Any fan of the Deadwood television series will remember that guy in the thoroughfare, "Soap with a guaranteed prize inside!" Yeah.

Exactly.

#24 LordSkippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:04 AM

View PostWingbreaker, on 06 February 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

I feel like this thread belongs on a clickbait site.

DID PGI JUST STEAL FROM THIS PLAYER? YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE THE INCREDIBLE STORY!

THIS ONE SIMPLE TRICK GOT THIS PLAYER PAINTJOBS! PAUL HATES HIM!

YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS SIMPLE WEIRD TRICK TO GET FREE CAMOS!

#25 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:04 AM

Would it help to have a disclaimer popup that says "only onlocks for this chassis." ?

If you have a bunch of variants of the same mech and a few camos unlocked you can switch every time you want. Doing that 10+ times over all your variants of that chassis would be cheaper than single-use.

Imagine you play for Davion and Steiner in alternating 7-day contracts in CW and want to swap camo pattern and colors for each house. If you have the unlocked version, you will save some money down the road.
If you have 5 mechs of that variant then it would be a lot of MC very fast to use one-time-use instead.

#26 Orbit Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 499 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:06 AM

Bigger question is why was your first impulse to get pissed off?

#27 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:10 AM

View PostKenthar, on 06 February 2015 - 10:20 AM, said:

This is money grubbing, PGI.

Of course it is. It's decoration. Decoration is something you pay for. It's more expensive here to do so than in some games...comparable to others.

I'd rather PGI fleece the privilege of a pretty paint job that start selling gold ammo. Just sayin', it's one of the ways they keep the lights on.

#28 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:10 AM

Someone may or may not have said this here already, but I will say it.
Once upon a time, I do believe the UI had the camo patterns named after the 'Mech it would be applied to, like "Stalker Dazzle" and not just "Dazzle", so you would know that it only unlocked it for Stalkers (not that I would buy Dazzle, not my kind of pattern).

It seems silly to remove such a useful piece of information, as not everyone knows everything about this game and has no need to read the lackluster UI (once upon a time I did not know you could press right shift and F11 together to toggle the HUD on and off, which is totally irrelevant but nonetheless not something the UI tells you).

#29 Rashhaverak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 612 posts
  • LocationMajestic Waterfowl Sanctuary

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:51 AM

The answer to the OP's question is no, PGI did not steal from you. If you think that what happened to you is stealing then your ethics are to be questioned, because you are the one at fault in this transaction.

Having said that, it is true that the methodology PGI uses for selling camo patterns is stupid. I've spent an awful lot on MWO. To put it into perspective, I have something near 140 mech bays, and most of them are full. Yet, I refuse to spend a single MC on a camo pattern because I do think they are way overpriced. That doesn't justify claiming that PGI is stealing. However, PGI is leaving a potentially large revenue stream untapped. If they ever do come up with a price scheme that looks reasonable and unlocks a camo for all of the mechs, I have several thousand MC waiting. Until then, I'll be satisfied with painting my mechs using the colors I've unlocked under the standard patterns.

#30 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:57 AM

Kenthar, seriously, contact customer support.

In spite of my griping about various aspects of this game, my experiences with their customer support team have been 100% positive, and they respond in a timely fashion.

#31 Zeriniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:26 PM

Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware.

but seriously, I agree, there should be more explanation of how this works - however on the flip side, it doesn't take long to research it before spending the money on it.

PGI didn't steal from you, it just wasn't a clear situation; you also made assumptions on how the system worked rather than getting confirmation on the way it was actually implemented - not something new, mind you, it has been around for a while.

#32 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:32 PM

PEBKAC

#33 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:37 PM

View PostKenthar, on 06 February 2015 - 10:01 AM, said:

I shouldn't have to message support over something that is fundamentally wrong with the game.

If you have a nice attitude and come to them with it they will help.

If you keep being a **** and acting like they pissed in your Wheaties i wouldn't help either. Everyone makes mistakes and they are rather forgiving at PGI.

*NEWS FLASH* in order to get in touch with a company, most the time, you have to call/email/msg tech support. So i dont know where this sense of entitlement you have came from but they dont owe you anything. They are nice enough to help if you are nice enough to ask...politely.

Like i said...everyone makes mistakes. Send the support ticket with the issue and ask that they change this to another model. This is how things get fixed in this game....so either flop in your mistakes or be a big boy and help make it better.

#34 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

it is indeed problematic, you buy a color, its unlocked for all, you buy a camo, its too -- errr no wait what? . . trapped.

#35 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:45 PM

Yeah sure we've all made mistakes but this wasn't my mistake it was me trusting that they would not screw THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY. Is that too much to ask of a company upon who's forum I am now complaining?

I've bought 3 or 4 different camos for (i think) 7 different chassis. I've only just started grabbing one-shots here and there.

At no time have i felt that PGI was robbing me. So please don't attempt to speak on behalf of the community.

It's PAINT/Camo ffs... not at all important to the mechanics of the game or you enjoyment of it. When you're in your mech, you can't even see the crap.

It's luxury fluff, the PERFECT options for a F2P game to make money on. I definitely prefer they charge what they do for paint & camo instead of increasing the cost of mech bays or mechs or premium time!

Don't like the cost? Don't buy any.

Really not the end of the world.

#36 Stoned Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:56 PM

Yeah sure we've all made mistakes but this wasn't my mistake it was me trusting that they would not screw THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY. Is that too much to ask of a company upon who's forum I am now complaining?

If I had accidentally bought something then I'd of just told support and it would be fine.

I intentionally bought something that for all intents and purposes is not viable for 90% of the community and should not even be available for purchase. At least not in its current state.

The ability to switch camo patterns is literally a database switch and costs them nothing to do. -_-

This is money grubbing, PGI.

Listen. You need to relax. Had you taken the time to jnform yourself of the process of buying pattens this wouldnt have happened. Should it be easier to tell. I think we all all agree yes. But to freak out like they stole your mothers heirloom dia.k d earrings is REDICULOUS. Its not even stealing.

That said i want to explain to you why this price is not moneygrubbing. It costs what, 7 bucks to unlock the premium camo? Like Phranken at 1250 mc. Now you feel they should let you use that for every mech past and future. That is rediculous as well. Now I dont buy unlocks. Only one shots. I dont find the value there. But some people love their atlas ddc and neverwa t tk play anything else. But they DO want to change the camo every week. Thats a good value for them.

The reason they will NEVER sell unlocks on all chassis is because they would be paying to make new skin s for that pattern on new chassis for as long as theyre still i operation. And that is not the way to run a successful business.

However they are a pretty good co.pa y that will fix something like this ONCE. I bought 50 bucks worth of mc when they announced their black friday sale. Except the sale hadnt started ;) so i email support and KINDLY AND POLITELY explained that i was dumb and excited and made a mistake. And they were kind enough to grant me my extra 20% mc.

But heres the kicker. THEY DONT HAVE TO. That EULA you signed? It says you affirm you understand how it works and its nit theirfault if youre confused. I know. I didnt read it either. But its there. And PGI is a pretty decent company for dojng that for you.

But the real message id like to put forth that the people it is meant for will never understand or likely even see. RELAX. Flipping the bleep out never helps. Im talking about in every aspect of life, but definitely here as well. Please just take q5 min to calm down and think rationally before posting or whatever. It will greatly enhance your quality of life. Take it from someone who has raged over the stupidest of things. Youll be a much happier person.

TL:DR : Pgi is pretty cool for fixing thinga they really dont have to. Its easy to be confused by camo. Be polite when attempting to correct a situation. And relax and try not to take things too seriously.

Thanks and see you in my HUD!

#37 PitchBlackYeti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:02 PM

The colors are globally unlocked while camos are chassis-only, how dumb is that. I also fell for it one day and bought some camos on discount only to see they are only available on my Jagermechs. The OP has my full sympathy, the description is non-intuitive and should be fixed.

Edited by PitchBlackYeti, 06 February 2015 - 01:02 PM.

#38 Rhialto

• Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:19 PM

I was lucky enough to find the information before unlocking any... and now that I know I will never unlock any but I'm tempted to the one shot because I usually only keep the variant of a chassis I like the most, it's about to happen, unfortunatly those are not on sale but at 75 it's no big deal as I plan to keep it for a long time. Pretty cool that colors unlock for all though.

I was also waiting for new camos, I thought they would soon double the current offer.

Edited by Rhialto, 06 February 2015 - 01:39 PM.

#39 Darlith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:07 PM

View PostPitchBlackYeti, on 06 February 2015 - 01:02 PM, said:

The colors are globally unlocked while camos are chassis-only, how dumb is that. I also fell for it one day and bought some camos on discount only to see they are only available on my Jagermechs. The OP has my full sympathy, the description is non-intuitive and should be fixed.

It makes sense though. Once they release a color they have no more work needed with it. So paying a one off cost to have it work on every mech ever doesn't effect them either way. Yes they could make even more by making it unlock per chassis, but they are nice with colors.

With camos on the other hand each mech that comes out needs the camo adapted to its geometry. Which means that if the unlock was across the board they are more or less working for free with each new mech that comes out. So the unlocks on camos are for single chassis. Now it could be cheaper sure, I think half its current price would be nice, not a lot more than 3 one shots that way so many more people would find it useful to buy for the flexibility. But I also don't do actuary and related work for a living.

#40 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

TBH, this is the main reason why I don't buy camo unlocks. I'm aware of the behavior, and the UI does a garbage job informing you of this.

I simply would never buy camo under the simple fact it is for one chassis.

There are ways to improve the system... like having the camo be usable on a limited # of chassis (variants are not factored into the count) like 10 or so (like you can have volume sales for 5 chassis, 10, or whatever # you wish)... and that value be occasionally discounted.

That would, you can have persistent growth of the camo unlock, but not overvaluing just one chassis for one unlock. It doesn't even make logical sense to me it purchasable the way it is constituted.

One shot would be OK, but on principle, I don't believe into buying into said system especially if the camo is changed along the line (like many of the redone camos for the dynamic visual hardpoint changes).

Edited by Deathlike, 06 February 2015 - 04:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users