83 replies to this topic

#61 Kilo 40

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:32 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 06 February 2015 - 08:49 PM, said:

they said that due to my having been helped in the past I wouldnt get another one.

I think they say that just so it doesn't get abused.

#62 Abisha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:45 AM

View PostZippitt, on 06 February 2015 - 06:06 PM, said:

In the OPs defense, while there was a bit too much rage I am annoyed with it too. I just did the same thing, but I am too lazy to even bother sending anything to PGI, I just don't care enough about the game atm. This sort of thing just makes me even more apathetic. Just changing the tool tip or putting one there wouldn't take much. It would save players and pgi time, I bet they have already spent more time making corrections then it would have been to code a tool tip.

you are very correct in this.

#63 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:36 AM

OP. This happens to a lot of people myself included.
The pricing is just downright wrong, and the UI does not inform you at all. I made exactly the same mistake.

#64 Vandul

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:42 AM

Caveat Emptor ya nuggets. Do your research before buying. Its really not that difficult.

#65 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:21 AM

View PostVandul, on 07 February 2015 - 06:42 AM, said:

Caveat Emptor ya nuggets. Do your research before buying. Its really not that difficult.

Nope. Shouldn't have to trawl through forums to find something out, just like we shouldnt have to trawl through 3rd party sites to design and save mech loadouts. It's the game lacking information.
You don't want the game to progress? Ok as it is right? No need for pgi to do anything? ok.

#66 Zeriniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:24 AM

View PostAxeface, on 07 February 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

Nope. Shouldn't have to trawl through forums to find something out, just like we shouldnt have to trawl through 3rd party sites to design and save mech loadouts. It's the game lacking information.
You don't want the game to progress? Ok as it is right? No need for pgi to do anything? ok.

Of course the game should improve, and something should be done about it.
But people throwing temper tantrums is ridiculous. If I'm going to spend real money on something, I'm going to do some basic level research.

#67 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:36 AM

It's ridiculous that they haven't changed this text yet. It should take 10 minutes to do so, max.

#68 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:36 AM

View PostZeriniel, on 07 February 2015 - 07:24 AM, said:

Of course the game should improve, and something should be done about it.
But people throwing temper tantrums is ridiculous. If I'm going to spend real money on something, I'm going to do some basic level research.

This is one of those times an apology is made in the next update and they fix it.

#69 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:03 AM

For your convience

View PostOvion, on 02 February 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

How Camo and Colours work:
Camo Specs
Camo Patterns come in 3 flavours - Unlock, One-Shot and Unique.
Unlocks are a permament unlock for that Chasis. You can change the pattern and colours as often as you like.
They are pricey though, running you either 750 MC for a 'standard' pattern and 1250 MC for a 'premium' pattern.

One-Shot camos are one-use patterns. You can change the Colours as often as you like, but if you change the pattern, you lose the One-Shot.
They're great if you don't intend to change the pattern around.
The bonus of this is they cost 1/10th that of an Unlock, at 75MC a 'standard' pattern and 125MC a 'premium' pattern.

Unique patterns are limited to Heroes and Unique Geometry mechs.
You can change the Colours as much as you like, but can never change the Camo Spec.
Additionally, certain colour panels may be locked on Unique patterns.

So if you only want to do 3 mechs, and leave them at that single pattern forever, then One-Shots are the way to go for you!
You can even have 3 different patterns if you want.

There have been Camo sales in the past (normally 50% off), so you could always wait for one of those, but I generally recommend one-shots.
If it's on sale and there's 2 Camo's you'll regularly want on one chasis (or 5+ mechs you want it on), then go unlock.
Example -
I have bought One-Shot Camo Specs for each of my 3 Spiders, 3 Catapults, and one Cicada (Phranken), 1 for my 4th (Urbie)Spider (Sherman), and 1 for my Dire Wolf B (Snowfall).
That's 9 mechs with Camo, for less than the cost of 1 unlock.
I'm considering buying one-shots for a couple more of my mechs, like my Jaegers, new Cicada and Ravens.
I don't really want to change any of these, mostly because the others are sort of pants on those mechs (in my opinion) so it works out MASSIVELY cheaper.

I've also bought the Phranken Unlock for my locusts when it was on sale, as I have 5 of them and at that point it cost the same as getting the One-Shots.
I also want Hotrod and standard on my locusts at a whim, so this works out better.
I'm just waiting for Hotrod to be on sale on Locusts, then I'll buy the unlock.

While I understand that Camo can be seen as expensive, and it can seem annoying or cash grabby for it to be per chasis, please understand that each Camo Spec must be made specially for each chasis, taking time and money and there is a reason they've done it this way.

Colours
Colours come in 3 flavours - Basic, Standard and Premium.
All colours are a universale unlock - purchase once, and that colour is permamantly available for all your mechs.
Basic Colours are the 5 free colours in the game.
You get Basic Green by default, and the remaining 4 are available for 1.25million C-Bills each.
They're actually not bad, I think the Red is nicer than most of the Premium Reds too.
Especially good as a Block colour, or highlight.
As modeled by the lovely Locust below:
Spoiler

Standard Colours are generally, just a straight shade really.
These cost 500MC and come in a wide range.

Premimum Colours are either more desirable (i.e. - pure black and white), or specifically linked to particular Premium Camos (i.e. - the colours that are 'meant' to go with the scheme).
These cost 1000MC and come in a wide range of slightly nicer shades.

Ultimately, I recommend never buying any colours apart from Basic, unless it's 50% off.
Additionally, Camo shades are a fantastic range of matte Standard colours, so 250MC on sale.
I've got 1/3 to half of the Camo colours and tend to buy more each time they go on sale.

Also, to help you understand why it's done this way:

View PostOvion, on 03 February 2015 - 02:51 AM, said:

Each camo needs making individually for every mech.
This is the Bitmaps for 3 mechs (Catapult, Spider, Locust), just for Phranken:
Spoiler
There's 49 sets of Phranken, that all had to be made specifically for each mech.
And there's 22 Camo Specs currently.

That's a lot of work that they need paying for, to make a profit, to keep the game going, or they won't bother.

So do what I do.
Buy one shots for most mechs.

Wait for Half Price Sales for mechs you really like, have 5+ of, or want multiple camos on a regular basis.

The only Camo Unlocks I have are the Package ones and Phranken + Hotrod for my Locusts (I have 7 and switch between both regularly, might even buy another unlock for them next spec sale).
Everything else is One Shots.
For what it's worth, I've gone through the Camo's in this sale and the only one I want for my Locusts isn't in it. :(

Maybe next time.

#70 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:14 AM

View PostOvion, on 07 February 2015 - 08:03 AM, said:

For your convience

Also, to help you understand why it's done this way:For what it's worth, I've gone through the Camo's in this sale and the only one I want for my Locusts isn't in it. :(

Maybe next time.

This wall of text doesnt change that the camo "unlock" should say "chassis unlock".

Unlock suggests just that, that the camo is unlocked, not just for the chassis.

Edited by Johnny Z, 07 February 2015 - 08:14 AM.

#71 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:50 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 07 February 2015 - 08:14 AM, said:

This wall of text doesnt change that the camo "unlock" should say "chassis unlock".

Unlock suggests just that, that the camo is unlocked, not just for the chassis.
They could, but this has been a thing for a long time, and it's still reasonably clear.

Honestly, the info is all available anyway and the first time I looked at buying cosmetic stuff for MWO, I made damn sure I knew what I was buying.

Which is why I didn't get any Camo Unlocks until I they were on sale for my Locusts, that at the time I had 5 of and wanted Normal, Phranken and Hotrod on interchangeably, everything else is One-Shots, for honestly, a perfectly reasonable price. (One of the few things that are at a reasonable non-sale price).

That's why I made my guide to paints and camos, to get it in one place, to put in threads like this (and its own guides thread), to help consolidate that infomation and include handy tips, to help people who don't look hard, or didn't look in the first place.

That said, I wouldn't entirely mind the option of buying all Camo Unlocks, either per mech, or per camo in a bundle for half price.
This would have an early-bird bonus of including all subsequent camos/mechs in it.

At the moment that'd be what...
Chasis Camo Bundle - 16,000MC for all unlocks currently = 8,000MC for all on one mech.
Or all-camo would be 36,750MC for all Basic unlocks, then 61,250MC for all Premium, so 18,375MC and 30,625MC respectively.

Could even go one further, with All Camo for All Mechs at half price again, so
the Chasis Bundle for every mech would be 392,000MC, at half price 196,000MC.

Fudge those numbers a bit call it:
8,000MC to unlock all Camo Specs on a mech. (Roughly US$32)
18,000MC to unlock a single Basic Camo Spec for all mechs. (Roughly US$72)
30,000MC to unlock a single Premium Camo Spec for all mechs. (Roughly US$120)
195,000MC to unlock all Camo Specs for all mechs. (The low, low price of US$780)
Alternatively buy the full price One Shots you'd want for every mech in the game for roughly 10,000-20,000MC as is.

It's entirely possible I'd buy the all camo specs for my Locusts.
Not sure anyone would ever buy an Unlock All pack. xD

#72 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:52 AM

View PostOvion, on 07 February 2015 - 08:50 AM, said:

They could, but this has been a thing for a long time, and it's still reasonably clear.

Honestly, the info is all available anyway and the first time I looked at buying cosmetic stuff for MWO, I made damn sure I knew what I was buying.

Which is why I didn't get any Camo Unlocks until I they were on sale for my Locusts, that at the time I had 5 of and wanted Normal, Phranken and Hotrod on interchangeably, everything else is One-Shots, for honestly, a perfectly reasonable price. (One of the few things that are at a reasonable non-sale price).

That's why I made my guide to paints and camos, to get it in one place, to put in threads like this (and its own guides thread), to help consolidate that infomation and include handy tips, to help people who don't look hard, or didn't look in the first place.

That said, I wouldn't entirely mind the option of buying all Camo Unlocks, either per mech, or per camo in a bundle for half price.
This would have an early-bird bonus of including all subsequent camos/mechs in it.

At the moment that'd be what...
Chasis Camo Bundle - 16,000MC for all unlocks currently = 8,000MC for all on one mech.
Or all-camo would be 36,750MC for all Basic unlocks, then 61,250MC for all Premium, so 18,375MC and 30,625MC respectively.

Could even go one further, with All Camo for All Mechs at half price again, so
the Chasis Bundle for every mech would be 392,000MC, at half price 196,000MC.

Fudge those numbers a bit call it:
8,000MC to unlock all Camo Specs on a mech. (Roughly US$32)
18,000MC to unlock a single Basic Camo Spec for all mechs. (Roughly US$72)
30,000MC to unlock a single Premium Camo Spec for all mechs. (Roughly US$120)
195,000MC to unlock all Camo Specs for all mechs. (The low, low price of US$780)
Alternatively buy the full price One Shots you'd want for every mech in the game for roughly 10,000-20,000MC as is.

It's entirely possible I'd buy the all camo specs for my Locusts.
Not sure anyone would ever buy an Unlock All pack. xD

Its not clear at all and I'll wager it is fixed fairly soon. :) im so sure mostly because i think the company making this game is better than that.

Edited by Johnny Z, 07 February 2015 - 08:55 AM.

#73 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:53 AM

View PostKenthar, on 06 February 2015 - 10:05 AM, said:

If only 5% of us who actually realize this is mathematically ridiculous message support they won't even notice this.

Do you own 11 summoners? because you haven't gotten your money's worth until you do.

The idea is that it's for when you constantly switch camos on a mech.

#74 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:01 AM

View PostAxeface, on 07 February 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

Agreed. Amazing how deceptive half-truths in marketing practices are now acceptable as part of the "hard-core" mode in this game. I assume these same people would just "sack up" and move on if they got swindled based on carefully worded half-truth marketing statements... right...

#75 Stoned Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:43 PM

View PostKenthar, on 06 February 2015 - 09:56 AM, said:

So I finally decided to get my 'Mechs a unified camo pattern and colors.

I already own several colors that I've bought at different times and obviously I can use them on any 'Mech. Even between IS and Clan.

Imagine my surprise though when I bought my first "Unlockable" pattern only to find out that I cannot use it on ANY OTHER CHASSIE. 0_0

I just payed TEN TIMES THE PRICE of a "One Shot" of the same pattern for only THREE CHASSIES.

I don't want my mc back I want an apology and I want this pattern on all of my mechs.

There is no UI explanation of this idiot tax, this is theft, plain and simple.

If its an idiot tax, and they got you... well guess you were in the right tax bracket.

Edited by MechWarrior1402911, 12 February 2015 - 05:45 PM.

#76 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:14 PM

View PostCTsai, on 06 February 2015 - 10:20 AM, said:

In the mean time, please enjoy this quality piece of entertainment, Remastered

I prefer the Buffalax'd version. Lower quality, though. https://www.facebook...143646175693542

I can't find it on YouTube anymore, but plenty of places still mirror it, it seems.

#77 Lindonius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:57 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 07 February 2015 - 08:52 AM, said:

Its not clear at all and I'll wager it is fixed fairly soon. :) im so sure mostly because i think the company making this game is better than that.

I think you're on an island there bud.

#78 F4T 4L

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:23 AM

View PostKenthar, on 06 February 2015 - 10:20 AM, said:

Yeah sure we've all made mistakes but this wasn't my mistake it was me trusting that they would not screw THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY. Is that too much to ask of a company upon who's forum I am now complaining?

If I had accidentally bought something then I'd of just told support and it would be fine.

I intentionally bought something that for all intents and purposes is not viable for 90% of the community and should not even be available for purchase. At least not in its current state.

The ability to switch camo patterns is literally a database switch and costs them nothing to do. -_-

This is money grubbing, PGI.

At this point it's abundantly clear that you spend the bulk of your free time hiding under bridges, one eye on the road for billy goats.

QQ moar.

1/10.

Edited by F4T 4L, 13 February 2015 - 01:24 AM.

#79 Abisha

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:33 AM

can you guys stop trolling outside my Topic? thank you. :angry:

#80 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:56 AM

View PostKenthar, on 06 February 2015 - 10:05 AM, said:

If only 5% of us who actually realize this is mathematically ridiculous message support they won't even notice this.

Do you own 11 summoners? because you haven't gotten your money's worth until you do.

That is not quite true, the one shot camos are literally one use, so if you change to a different camo you will have to buy it again if you want to go back, whereas the unlocks will allow you to swap back to that camo forever on that Chassis type.

Its still terrible value and i will never buy one though.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users