Shadow Cat Performance Speculation

70 replies to this topic

#1 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:10 AM

Just for fun, since it seems like we'll be getting access to this guy at some point in the future. As I see it, here are the Pros and Cons:

Pros:

ECM capable. That's a pretty big deal right there, as long as we get the variant that has it.

Shoulder-level arms/high hardpoints. Which means it can crest hills, fire over terrain, etc., making it a feasible long range engagement mech. Mixes well with Clan tech's longer range.

MASC(?) kinda depends on how it gets implemented.

Cons:

Extremely limited hardpoints (5 tops). As we've seen with the Summoner, this is rough for Clan tech, because practically all our weapons are DPS, we need to pack a lot of weapons on to get real killing power. And this poor guy can't. However, it might not be such bad deal here because most, if not all the hardpoints are shoulder high or higher. You can use your speed to stay at a range and engage from a distance. The bigger, longer ranged guns with the slower cycle times aren't going to be as much of a liability as they would in a brawler.

Only 17(ish) tons of pod space, It's going to be a challenge to pack on those big guns, plus ECM, ammo, and any other equipment like a TC. Combine this with limited hard points, it's going to limit your design choices.

Little to no zombie capability. It really seems like this mech was designed through and through to be long range fire support. From the profile to the limited hard points, this mech says keep the enemy at a long range. If you get close, the enemy has a much better chance of chopping off your arms and almost completely negating your combat effectiveness.

Is the ECM alone enough to override all the cons? I know it works pretty well on my Hellbringer and Kitfox. I have to admit, the profile of this mech and high hardpoints combined with the ECM makes me cautiously optimistic. But it also suggests a very specific playstyle will be required to make it work.

So what do you think? Do I sound wildly off the mark? Did I miss anything? Other thoughts?

Edited by 0bsidion, 20 February 2015 - 11:11 AM.

#2 Roadkill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:22 AM

Based on timeline we'll be getting Prime, A, and B. The rest of the variants all come much later.

It's going to suffer from the Mist Lynx hardwired CAP problem, which kind of sucks. CAP is a waste when you're also carrying ECM.

I don't recall hardpoint locations off the top of my head, but it seems like it ought to be possible to re-arrange omnipods to get 1 ballistic, 2 energy, and 2 missile on the chassis at once. That's not a bad setup.

#3 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:25 AM

Another thing to note; PGI said an early reward for buying would be a 4th variant. The ShadowCat doesn't have a 4th timeline variant like the other 3, so we might get a few additional hardpoints.

#4 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:27 AM

It really depends on how well MASC works, and the hotboxes. The capability to run 130pkh in bursts will really help it close distances and escape. The six jumpjets and ECM will help with that even more. If it gets decent hitboxes than at least it should be able to survive pretty well.

Hard to say for the weapons. SRMs + lasers will probably be the best loadout.

Edited by armyunit, 20 February 2015 - 11:30 AM.

#5 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:35 AM

View PostRoadkill, on 20 February 2015 - 11:22 AM, said:

Based on timeline we'll be getting Prime, A, and B. The rest of the variants all come much later.

It's going to suffer from the Mist Lynx hardwired CAP problem, which kind of sucks. CAP is a waste when you're also carrying ECM.

I don't recall hardpoint locations off the top of my head, but it seems like it ought to be possible to re-arrange omnipods to get 1 ballistic, 2 energy, and 2 missile on the chassis at once. That's not a bad setup.

Prime: RT energy, LA energy, RA ballistic
A: RT missile, LA energy, RA energy
B: LA missile & energy, RA missile & energy

#6 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:36 AM

View PostRoadkill, on 20 February 2015 - 11:22 AM, said:

The CAP isnt hardlocked. All variants have one, but its not in the same location, its in the LT on the Prime and A, but in the RT of the B. Everyone will be using the B LT for the ECM

http://www.solaris7....nfo.asp?ID=2405

#7 Wiley Coyote

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:36 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 20 February 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

Another thing to note; PGI said an early reward for buying would be a 4th variant. The ShadowCat doesn't have a 4th timeline variant like the other 3, so we might get a few additional hardpoints.

Where was the early purchase reward mentioned? I haven't purchased any clans mechs but with the Shadowcat coming I may just have to pick it up.

#8 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:39 AM

View PostWiley Coyote, on 20 February 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Where was the early purchase reward mentioned? I haven't purchased any clans mechs but with the Shadowcat coming I may just have to pick it up.

We'll find out for sure in a couple hours, but it was announced in the TownHall along with the pack.

#9 Wiley Coyote

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:41 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 20 February 2015 - 11:39 AM, said:

We'll find out for sure in a couple hours, but it was announced in the TownHall along with the pack.

Thanks, guess I really should watch those.

#10 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:42 AM

I'm worried it won't be able to effectively use a Gauss because of limited ammo. We may once again run into the problem of poor Clan AC implementation. The only effective Clan ballistic is the Gauss Rifle, so if you can't mount it effectively you basically shouldn't be using ballistics at all. We could see some combination of ERLLs/LPLs/ERPPCs.

That said, if it can mount a Gauss effectively, it will be extremely good. 2 Shadow Cat, 2 Timber Wolf drops in CW. Goodbye Inner Sphere.

Edited by Fate 6, 20 February 2015 - 11:45 AM.

#11 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:43 AM

View PostWiley Coyote, on 20 February 2015 - 11:41 AM, said:

Thanks, guess I really should watch those.

This works too:
http://mwomercs.com/...show-notes-219/

• New Early Adopter Program Coming From Tomorrow to Feb 28th Will receive 4th variant for free

Edited by Mcgral18, 20 February 2015 - 11:43 AM.

#12 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:44 AM

I'd imagine it will be a bit like the Clan equivalent of a Blackjack. Big gun like Gauss or AC/20 plus backup lasers.

#13 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:45 AM

Isn't it only 15 tons of free pod space with ECM and full armor? Anyways, it looks like Vindicator tier mech, maybe a little better.

Edited by kapusta11, 20 February 2015 - 11:46 AM.

#14 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:48 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 20 February 2015 - 11:39 AM, said:

When will they release that info today? Just curious and waiting! lol

#15 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:49 AM

View PostCrottykid16, on 20 February 2015 - 11:48 AM, said:

When will they release that info today? Just curious and waiting! lol

Soon™

https://twitter.com/...848995738460160

#16 DivideByZer0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 257 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:51 AM

View PostFate 6, on 20 February 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

I'm worried it won't be able to effectively use a Gauss because of limited ammo. We may once again run into the problem of poor Clan AC implementation. The only effective Clan ballistic is the Gauss Rifle, so if you can't mount it effectively you basically shouldn't be using ballistics at all. We could see some combination of ERLLs/LPLs/ERPPCs.

That said, if it can mount a Gauss effectively, it will be extremely good. 2 Shadow Cat, 2 Timber Wolf drops in CW. Goodbye Inner Sphere.

The gauss variant had 2 or 3 tons of ammo, if I recall and 2 ERML. I'm excited though, I always loved my shadowkitty. Low profile, like the Uller. In MWLL my favorite variant was the LB20X one, it's scrappier than it looks. And clan needs a medium with ECM capability.

#17 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:54 AM

Im expecting most SCats to run 2xLPL + TC1 + heatsinks.

#18 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:54 AM

According to Solaris, it looks like we'll have between 16 and 19 tons of pod space, minus something like 2.3 tons to get to maximum armor if I'm converting to MWO values correctly and assuming we can drop CAP and reclaim MASC tonnage.

Edited by process, 20 February 2015 - 11:55 AM.

#19 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:55 AM

View PostFunky Bacon, on 20 February 2015 - 11:44 AM, said:

I'd imagine it will be a bit like the Clan equivalent of a Blackjack. Big gun like Gauss or AC/20 plus backup lasers.

View Postkapusta11, on 20 February 2015 - 11:45 AM, said:

Isn't it only 15 tons of free pod space with ECM and full armor? Anyways, it looks like Vindicator tier mech, maybe a little better.

The Shadowcat will be much better than those miserable mechs.
Unless PGI decides to give it crappy stats and/or makes MASC bad.

Edited by armyunit, 20 February 2015 - 11:56 AM.

#20 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:57 AM

View PostDivideByZer0, on 20 February 2015 - 11:51 AM, said:

The gauss variant had 2 or 3 tons of ammo, if I recall and 2 ERML. I'm excited though, I always loved my shadowkitty. Low profile, like the Uller. In MWLL my favorite variant was the LB20X one, it's scrappier than it looks. And clan needs a medium with ECM capability.

It....can't fit a LB20x. It can fit a UAC20, but all arm slots are filled.

The Gauss variant has 2 tons of ammo, 2 ERMLs and a AP. So, swap that for a Jesus Box, and either drop a laser and arm armour, or just swap them to ERSLs with an extra ton of ammo.

View Postarmyunit, on 20 February 2015 - 11:55 AM, said:

The Shadowcat will be much better than those miserable mechs.

It will compare to some BJs, but be worse than others in an outright fight. 1X is deadly.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users