199 replies to this topic

#41 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:30 PM

View PostJagdFlanker, on 22 February 2015 - 01:55 PM, said:

that being said with the units busy in CW i'm enjoying PUG dropping more than ever

'

So you like the shallow end of the pool, got it.

#42 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:41 PM

View PostJagdFlanker, on 22 February 2015 - 01:55 PM, said:

it's new players disgusted with CW? i have most of the clan mechs + a lot of the IS ones, i'v played 200+ games since new years and not one of them have been CW

i learned quick - CW isn't for PUGs. if you drop as a PUG expect to get beaten to a pulp, and be surprised if you do pull off a win

that being said with the units busy in CW i'm enjoying PUG dropping more than ever

CW is the best thing that's happened for the public solo and group queues. Details here.

#43 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:51 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 22 February 2015 - 02:30 PM, said:

If someone thinks a game mode is fun, they'll play it. If they think it's not fun, they won't. According to Russ in the last Town Hall notes (Question 16), 13.5% of MWO players play CW and the rest play in the public solo and group queues. Most importantly, he says that number is enough to sustain CW and he doesn't consider the CW population to be "low". That's great news for everybody.

CW isn't the deep end. It's an entirely different pool -and because of how CW works, that's how it should be.

#44 krash27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 582 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:31 PM

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 22 February 2015 - 11:28 AM, said:

clans are not OP, you are bad at this game and need to learn to play better. It's a poor craftsman as blames his tools.

You should read what you quoted before accusing someone of saying clans are OP. He clearly states clans are not OP and you proceed to degrade him as if he said clans were OP.
Reading comprehension goes a long way.

#45 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:52 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 22 February 2015 - 02:30 PM, said:

'

i play to kill the other team. i don't play to jump through hoops that involve shooting this thing and that thing and another thing to disable some jumbo spaceship killing gauss rifle that never existed in lore, running down or defending 'kill channels' that are identical every game. when i did play CW i was always one of the last to die, and i lost interest in playing a 20-30min battle when i knew exactly how the battle was going to turn out halfway though the match but i had to keep playing anyways, win or lose

if i was in a unit, i'd love CW. but i ain't, so i don't

#46 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:01 PM

View PostHARDKOR, on 22 February 2015 - 08:35 AM, said:

Cheer up dude, grasshopper might be the IS Timberwolf.

not unless it has the hitboxes like the spider used to have and the Firecheater has now.

#47 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:06 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 22 February 2015 - 04:01 PM, said:

... not unless it has the hitboxes like the spider still has and the Firecheater has now.

Fixed that for you. Despite what anyone thinks and how much the Spider might have gotten toppled as a top light mech, its hitboxes are still obnoxious.

#48 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:21 PM

View PostLeeroy Mechkins, on 22 February 2015 - 02:29 AM, said:

All the new players usually go to the IS factions simply because they cannot afford clan mechs or don't have them.

More importantly, most of those new players try to PUG.

Seriously. Newbie + PUG + CW = feeding yourself face-first into a wood chipper.

And yes, because Clantech (why, since supposedly IS = Clan) is priced higher it means fewer F2P types go Clan. And people who drop MC into the game tend to invest more into learning it.

Sorta the RL equivalent of tabletop, where a base Clan pilot equal to a veteran IS one in piloting and gunnery skills, and even a green Clan pilot is "regular" IS equivalent.

#49 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:23 PM

View PostNovawrecker, on 22 February 2015 - 05:06 PM, said:

Fixed that for you. Despite what anyone thinks and how much the Spider might have gotten toppled as a top light mech, its hitboxes are still obnoxious.

true, it lost ground because of hardpoints.

View Postwanderer, on 22 February 2015 - 05:21 PM, said:

More importantly, most of those new players try to PUG.

Seriously. Newbie + PUG + CW = feeding yourself face-first into a wood chipper.

And yes, because Clantech (why, since supposedly IS = Clan) is priced higher it means fewer F2P types go Clan. And people who drop MC into the game tend to invest more into learning it.

Sorta the RL equivalent of tabletop, where a base Clan pilot equal to a veteran IS one in piloting and gunnery skills, and even a green Clan pilot is "regular" IS equivalent.

That's feet first. it's more agonizing. face first it's over too quickly.

<insert video from Fargo here>

Edited by Kjudoon, 22 February 2015 - 05:23 PM.

#50 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:24 PM

View PostDoctorDetroit, on 22 February 2015 - 09:37 AM, said:

This is the reason PvE is being discussed (hopefully worked on too) right now. Get training against AI before jumping into the deep end. I myself wouldn't mind the occasional comp stomp either.

If you think PvE ever trained anyone for PvP, you've been horridly decieved. PvE tends to actually dull you for PvP, because bots are never unpredictable enough or able to match a real human well enough to simulate actual opponents.

If anything, it'll make them WORSE going into CW.

#51 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:25 PM

View Postwanderer, on 22 February 2015 - 05:24 PM, said:

If you think PvE ever trained anyone for PvP, you've been horridly decieved. PvE tends to actually dull you for PvP, because bots are never unpredictable enough or able to match a real human well enough to simulate actual opponents.

If anything, it'll make them WORSE going into CW.

Once you go PvE, you never return, see?

;)

I know if they had PvE co-op mode, I'd never play PvP again.

#52 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

View PostJagdFlanker, on 22 February 2015 - 03:52 PM, said:

i play to kill the other team. i don't play to jump through hoops that involve shooting this thing and that thing and another thing to disable some jumbo spaceship killing gauss rifle that never existed in lore, running down or defending 'kill channels' that are identical every game. when i did play CW i was always one of the last to die, and i lost interest in playing a 20-30min battle when i knew exactly how the battle was going to turn out halfway though the match but i had to keep playing anyways, win or lose

if i was in a unit, i'd love CW. but i ain't, so i don't

Hit the K key until it no longer works, banzai rush with the fourth 'Mech.

Voila. You're out of the match and no longer have to play. Have a quick public queue match. Or more, if it turns out the CW queue is terribad.

Oh, and I'm in no unit whatsoever. I just make lots of friends in Liao and we go kill things- regardless of which unit I tag along with. Drop, find Liao unit dropping or faction group, get on TS, voila. We CWing now and we have fun.

And incidentally, Liao? We generally prefer to kill everyone rather than light rushes. Drop on by if endless rushes leave a bad taste in your mouth.

#53 DaFrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • 421 posts
  • Locationmontreal

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:32 PM

View Postwanderer, on 22 February 2015 - 05:28 PM, said:

Hit the K key until it no longer works, banzai rush with the fourth 'Mech.

Voila. You're out of the match and no longer have to play. Have a quick public queue match. Or more, if it turns out the CW queue is terribad.

Oh, and I'm in no unit whatsoever. I just make lots of friends in Liao and we go kill things- regardless of which unit I tag along with. Drop, find Liao unit dropping or faction group, get on TS, voila. We CWing now and we have fun.

And incidentally, Liao? We generally prefer to kill everyone rather than light rushes. Drop on by if endless rushes leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I'll add to that, repeat.Go into another CW match, if you're pugged IS and you face an elite 12 man clan. eject and banzai. Eventually PGI will fix matchmaker to take EXPERTISE into account. There were 4 tiers in BT, green, regular, veteran and elite. That should be implemented in CW, otherwise it has no value whatsoever and will remain a phantasm.

#54 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:05 PM

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 22 February 2015 - 11:28 AM, said:

clans are not OP, you are bad at this game and need to learn to play better. It's a poor craftsman as blames his tools.

did you see the part where I said 'it isn't because clans are OP'?

I mean seriously the post was only one line long

CW as a game mode is awful. I like the drop deck concept but other than that there's nothing redeemable there; it's everything that was bad about the old long range/pinpoint meta, multiplied by a thousand

#55 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:22 PM

View PostAssaultPig, on 22 February 2015 - 08:05 PM, said:

CW as a game mode is awful. I like the drop deck concept but other than that there's nothing redeemable there; it's everything that was bad about the old long range/pinpoint meta, multiplied by a thousand

If you think that CW revolves around all long range builds.

...well I found your problem, range is nice but most fighting is actually happening up close and personal if you know what you are doing.

I'm going to guess you are one of those that thinks its a good idea to square up and shoot from outside the gate.

#56 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:01 AM

Damn, really didn't think I'd see people advocating repeated suicide when confronted with a 12 man against PUGS.

I've won them before, and only been playing actively again for a couple weeks. Yeah, it's rare, but you can make a good friend or two in those PUG groups. You can try to steer new players from the the foul fate that many new players have; dropping into CW for their first matches (some using CW IMMEDIATELY after downloading the game) by giving them helpful advice, and being a good person to them.

Yeah, plenty of them won't even speak your language. Plenty of them won't give a rat's ass about ANYTHING you have to say; they'll run in, overheat, and die. There is nothing you can do about that.

But there exists at least ONE person in each PUG drop that is material for improvement. I'm sure of that. Maybe they're shy and won't initiate conversation. Maybe they're confused at ALL THE BUTTONS OMG.

What sort of an example does such behavior show new players to the game? "The game is broken, so I won't play it, but I WILL sit in front of my PC and press K"

Of course, you can explain to them that the team will most likely lose, and all you can do is learn something out of it and do some damage to clan scum. There is a large difference between that and saying "lol we lose, suicide guys" immediately after dropping in.

The VOIP seems to be well-implemented, but often only a single person will be using it. Oftentimes someone older (at least over 25, heh) and likely to be trying hard for a win, and possibly interested in lore type stuff. However, when they attempt to give commands to a pug team, it doesn't always go so well. You've got to let that person know that at least ONE other fellow has his back in a proper manner. You can help him lead; two voices giving good advice is stronger to a new player than a single one.

Boys, we've got to groom people to play CW and not hate it. Faults that lie with development are of little import to us; all we can do about that is be vocal to PGI, who seems to listen. The other 95 percent of the time you aren't posting walls of text on the forums but instead playing MWO, should be at least partially spent on being hospitable, fun, and inviting to newer players.

This has been a boredom-fueled walloftext from the third shift.

#57 Icthelion

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:07 AM

Let me put my experience... or rather inexperience out there. I have tried community warfare 4 times now. I love the concept and the actual clan vs Inner sphere conflict and I love the combat drops. This is the reality of it though... my first mech is where the fun is at. For about 2 minutes. After that its wait for your mech to drop into a turkey shoot. I drop and there are 2 or 4 heavies right there farming the spawn point.

That has been the case each time. Maybe its PUG vs. Organized group. Maybe its clan tech vs. inner sphere tech. Maybe maybe maybe. What is a certainty is that is the game experience each time, so I will just leave community warfare be. There is no fun there.

#58 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:22 AM

View PostIcthelion, on 23 February 2015 - 12:07 AM, said:

Let me put my experience... or rather inexperience out there. I have tried community warfare 4 times now. I love the concept and the actual clan vs Inner sphere conflict and I love the combat drops. This is the reality of it though... my first mech is where the fun is at. For about 2 minutes. After that its wait for your mech to drop into a turkey shoot. I drop and there are 2 or 4 heavies right there farming the spawn point.

That has been the case each time. Maybe its PUG vs. Organized group. Maybe its clan tech vs. inner sphere tech. Maybe maybe maybe. What is a certainty is that is the game experience each time, so I will just leave community warfare be. There is no fun there.

If you were getting farmed on the second drop, something is seriously wrong, or you hit mech fail bingo and got a top end team on the other side.

#59 SWANN

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:06 AM

View PostNovawrecker, on 22 February 2015 - 10:09 AM, said:

The problem with this concept is that (and I do not mean to sound harsh as it is not my intention), regardless if you're in a unit or not, if one is a soloist or likes to group, this game is a team base game (especially in CW). They're going to have to learn how to play alongside in one way or another whether they like it or not. And now that this game has its own VoIP, there really isn't any legit excuse. Granted, I know it's not 100% perfect, but if people come to this game thinking it's a DS Pokemon where they can solo it all, pardon, but they playing the wrong game.

Sadly. many ignore the tutorial as well. I have to agree that it should be a necessary thing to go through.

the obvious flip side to that is without them the CW population will wither and die. Most people will just opt out rather than play a game that doesn't cater to their needs. This is the reality and I think it's both naive and short sighted to simply tell them to "get with the program or get out" because the result more often than not will be them checking out, very few people are going to take this game that seriously.

Edited by SWANN, 23 February 2015 - 01:09 AM.

#60 Icthelion

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:33 AM

View PostYokaiko, on 23 February 2015 - 12:22 AM, said:

If you were getting farmed on the second drop, something is seriously wrong, or you hit mech fail bingo and got a top end team on the other side.

Something is seriously wrong, no doubt about it. Mech fail bingo hit me 4 times in a row though on different days. Im on a staycation so I might try a couple more games since I put the Kurita banner up, but Im not going to hold my breath.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users