Kintaros Worth It?

14 replies to this topic

#1 RedlineHunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGPS said I'm here, but I think I'm over there...

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:32 PM

So,

I am wondering what people think of the Kintaro line. I tried serching the forums but found a lot of old post going back and fourth whether or not it is good or not. On top of that, I do not see many on the battlefield. This mech seems to have been completely forgotten about, how come?

Any good builds to use for the three variants?

Thanks!

#2 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

They can be SRM brawlers with impressive firepower, but they're also very fragile. Their side and center torsos have more surface area than the SHD, GRF and WVR so they tend to soak more damage. It's one of those 'Mechs that are screwed by their scaling/design. Their quirks did little to make them attractive.

That's why most of the Kintaros out there are using LRM5 builds, they can utilize their impressive firepower and avoid dying so easily by removing themselves from the frontlines. Basically if you buy Kintaros, expect 18/GB to be the only consistently good performing 'Mechs out of the bunch.

If you're into SRM brawling GRF is a much better choice with JJs.

Edited by Tahribator, 01 March 2015 - 04:01 PM.

#3 Hastur Azargo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 226 posts
  • LocationGloriana class battleship "Red Tear"

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:28 PM

An energy/missile medium without jumpjets is pretty much limited to LRM support, because SRM brawling is really hampered on mechs without JJs. There are some enthusiasts of drive-by SRM-ing but it's certainly not as easy as brawling with JJs. Rest is like 'Bator said, bad geometry (humanoid, and large at that) plus bad quirks, so you either play Kintaro because you have a soft spot for it, or you go for better options. :(

#4 Sonny Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 445 posts
  • LocationThe Motion Lounge

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:46 PM

I would say yes they are a good chassis. particularly LRM fire support. That said the lack of JJ's can be a hindrance.
I have had good service out of the KTO-18
4 LRM 5's with 6 1/2 tons of ammo
2 Med. Lasers
Std 275 engine
Endo steel and double heat sinks

&

KT0-19
2 LRM 10's 4 1/2 tons ammo
1 SRM 4 1 ton ammo
3 Med. Lasers
269 STD engine
Endo Steel
Ferro-Fibrous armor
Double Heat Sinks

Kintaro's are relatively cheap to buy and have some nice quirks.

All in all you could do a lot worse.

#5 Hastur Azargo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 226 posts
  • LocationGloriana class battleship "Red Tear"

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:41 PM

Actually, I'll go ahead and share my builds, because a Kurita pilot should love and pilot Kintaros. :)

GOLDEN BOY, an SRM/MPL striker. Yes, it's not a playmaker, yes it only shines when your enemies expose themselves while engaging someone else, but when that happens, welp, they're gonna lose more than they hoped to gain by diving your Daishi. BIGGU ARRPHA STRRAIKU, MADAFAKA! :lol:

KTO-18 Annoy-o-tron! Slightly hot, but unless the enemies successfully dodge the rest of your team and dive you, they're gonna suffer your direct and indirect poking for the entire duration of the match. An advanced zoom module helps. Also, lock your door at nights. People tend to hate you more than even hexa-LRM5 Mad Dogs. :wub:

KTO-18, a more traditional light-hunter streakboat. Although many hot-heads like to recklessly run around in it, this is a guard dog mech, intended to munch on unsuspecting lights that came to munch on your unsuspecting whales. Don't take this mech into a 50%+ assault queue, just wait for a release day of another Badder, Bad Lynx or Badther, roll it out and watch them having to deal with it. B)

KTO-19, a more dedicated SRM striker, fast and deadly due to quirks, but risky thanks to XL Engine. Once again, you'll have to be careful, and you'll depend on your team's ability to make favorable engagements, but when the conditions are right, your enemies will wish you were on their team. :o

KTO-20, a second-line zapper with streaks for backup. As all close fire support, stay right behind your heavies and help them engage. No reckless running around like with strikers, just paint them with lazors and shower them with streaks (when not under enemy ECM). A pretty comfy setup thanks to its not so horrible quirks. careful though, excessive zapping may cause dizziness and nausea... :wacko:

KTO-20, a pre-quirk alternative with LURMZ. A relic from old days of LURMAGEDDON II and III. Still deadly today, because effective LRM support is not limited to pressing one button, and if you have skillz, then enemies will be surprised by the amount of missiles this non-Stalker has managed to put into them. :P

P.S. Well, Kintaro is not horrible. It's challenging, but if you're up for the fun it can give you with the challenges it offers, then it's gonna be worth it, but only you can decide if it's what you want. ;)

#6 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:04 AM

I used to love my Kintaros, but an IS 55 tonner with no JJ is simply a gimped design.

Better to run Griffins.

#7 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:09 PM

They are the best LRM medium platform in the game. Sadly that is all they are good at with their poor torso twisting and poor hit boxes.
Here are the only builds I use on my KTO's, both have done 1000dmg. I do use the LRM5 more like a skirmisher since LRM5s tend to hit CTs.
KTO-18 LRM5's
Zombie KTO-20

Edited by mogs01gt, 02 March 2015 - 01:09 PM.

#8 RottenPelicanHoof

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:17 PM

Can be lotsa fun.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=BOd4ZE98m6o

#9 Pasiasty

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 16 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:54 PM

View PostAzargo, on 01 March 2015 - 05:41 PM, said:

Actually, I'll go ahead and share my builds, because a Kurita pilot should love and pilot Kintaros. :)

KTO-19, a more dedicated SRM striker, fast and deadly due to quirks, but risky thanks to XL Engine. Once again, you'll have to be careful, and you'll depend on your team's ability to make favorable engagements, but when the conditions are right, your enemies will wish you were on their team. :o

Sorry but in my opinion medium srm brawler with an XL engine is a dead brawler. After some adjustments i manage to put there std engine with enough firepower :)

KTO-19

#10 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:38 AM

View PostPasiasty, on 02 March 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

Sorry but in my opinion medium srm brawler with an XL engine is a dead brawler. After some adjustments i manage to put there std engine with enough firepower :)

KTO-19

WVR-7K does it better, with jump jets and superior hardpoint locations.

#11 Michal R

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 428 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:51 AM

Kintaro i very good SRM brawler. Becouse you use it on STD :)
Even with quirks I use only SRM. And it works very well.
I know that you can use great GRF and Wolvi, but Kintaro have SRM points on center, you can fight when you are zombi :)

#12 percolated1

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 64 posts
  • LocationUpper left coast of the USA

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:24 AM

KTO-18 with 5x5 tubes is one of the meanest lurm boats in the game, but weak in close even if you spring for MPLs. Plenty of tonnage for ammo, BAP, and a big XL engine. I like lots of ammo in this one, something like KTO-18.

KTO-GB can also boat lurms effectively and boasts an extra energy hardpoint, but it has a smaller engine capacity and a concomitant tendency to run hotter, making the GB more liable to get overrun early in a drop.

KTO-19's success as a SRM4 boat is wholly predicated on your ability to sneak around in a very tall medium. You can't use jump jets and the side torsos are wide and easy to hit close-in. Only KTO I've used that never seems to manage to run out of ammo before croaking. I run it something like KTO-19.

KTO-20 is actually a good striker platform to fit with a big XL and mid-range weapons. I suggest LRM5s with artemis and a bunch of pulse lasers with a pulse laser range module, with the aim of playing in that 200-400m zone. A la KTO-20.

One tip to keep in mind no matter which variant: CT launcher will delay a bit every time you uncork unless you remember to press "/" to open your launcher doors sometime during the drop.

Edited by percolated1, 06 March 2015 - 06:11 PM.

#13 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:25 PM

My favorite murder machine KTO 18(C)

Not the easiest mech to learn but well worth it.

This is probably one of the least appreciated mechs in the game, It takes a lot of punishment and can dish it.
In the new reality of Lrm Boating this is probably the best IS there is.

At the end of the vid I show the player results and back in the mechlab the mech details, not far off of a stock build.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 22 April 2015 - 06:53 PM.

#14 RedlineHunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGPS said I'm here, but I think I'm over there...

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:00 PM

It has been a little while, but all the feed back was great. Im still itching to get into them. Thanks for the vid Tractor Joe. I did get the Griffins and find them great, but a bit too fragile (might just be my playstyle). Thinking my next med will be the Kintaros.

#15 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:34 PM

View PostRedlineHunter, on 22 April 2015 - 09:00 PM, said:

It has been a little while, but all the feed back was great. Im still itching to get into them. Thanks for the vid Tractor Joe. I did get the Griffins and find them great, but a bit too fragile (might just be my playstyle). Thinking my next med will be the Kintaros.

I wish a mod would sticky this because the chassis has to be one of the most under appreciated mechs available, not sure if they did a rework on the hitboxes but I run a Griffin, Shadowhawk and a Hunchback and none take as much punishment with an xl engine as the KTO.
Anybody doubts that they need to watch the vid and count how many times the Direwhale tagged me with the multiple ACs or how many LL the Crab was swinging.
It might not have JJs but it climbs like a beast, it has great yaw and pitch and as you see when I dodge lurms it maneuvers real smooth but real quick.

I posted a thread in General Discussion, that has some complaints people have with them but also a lot of love for the KTO, Jaeger Gonzo is the KTO King.
Check his scoreboards.
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4340320

Thats this mechs potential

Edited by Tractor Joe, 24 April 2015 - 07:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users