Let's Talk About Ping. At What Point Do You Start Actually Noticing A Difference To Your Gameplay?

475 replies to this topic

#161 Mondeza

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 20 posts
  • Location/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:39 PM

View PostOptimus Poes II, on 16 March 2015 - 04:00 AM, said:

From South Africa, my Ping runs at about 275-300ms. Anything above 300ms for my countrymen and play play become a lagging, jerky, rubber-banding mosh-pit with low to no hit reg. It would seem lag begins to be noticed when you get about 20-30ms above your "normal/average" Ping.

I am From South Africa also......ISP is Axxess (MTN Business I believe). I can get it down to the 233 mark but no lower. The hit reg above 300 is horrible. Added to that often at the start of a match I am walking alone and suddenly I stop as I am inside another mech that wasn't there.

#162 Corrado

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 817 posts
  • Locationfinale emilia, italy

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:04 AM

View PostThrashInc, on 12 March 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

Even at 70ms, I notice definite errors in hit reg, especially with clan ballistics.

i noticed the same. specially using a 4UAC10 whale. looks like it's way less noticeable in a 2UAC10+ERPPC warhawk.
Main reason i went back to 2GAUSS 2CERLPL 4CERML on the whale.

4UAC5 crab has convergence issues but way less hitreg issues.

#163 Gattsus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:27 AM

As many have said, I've noticed 3 regimes.
Below/close 100, everything is kinda spot on.
150-250. The lower it is the better the hit reg, though hitting fast lights starts becoming a problem as you reach 250
250+ may god help you

#164 OMGUTOOL

• PipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:23 PM

bleh...
sydney AUS player here...
before the server move i was playing at 150 to 200ms ping and was realy good.
most of my ac's and laser+ gauss's will hit the target most of the time.
if you look at my stats it reflects this.
but since the server move and my ping going up to 280ms+.
well by by to any balistics.
even ERLL will miss even though the client shows the target is hit.
most of the time i end the game with very low score...
which is realy frustrating.
new clans are on its way and i can't play them.....
spent moollar on the new packs....
but now im thinking whats the point spending real cash in this game when i cant even play now.
so far close to a grand spent in to this game and now....etc etc etc.
if getting an Oceanic server is out of the question.
could we maybe get a high speed tunneling to US servers??

Edited by OMGUTOOL, 29 March 2015 - 11:32 PM.

#165 JustEvil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:30 PM

I'm playing on ~124-130 ms ping from Central Europe and in my experience I can't stand a fair chance against people with ping of ~90 ms or lower. I can't reliably aim at them (just now, I was aiming at Battlemaster left side torso and my damage went to both of his arms), but they can aim at me with great advantage (just now, the same game said Battlemaster was in, I moved a bit forward without exposing myself and I saw laser above my head; in the other match like day ago, Direwolf started shooting at me before I actually exposed myself, there was no UAVs or anything) and their damage is always spot on.

Not to mention some crazy rubber banding when slower mech is magically and constantly warping before mine which is faster and of course slowing me down.

Similiar thing is happening when I'm playing WarThunder on the US server. I can hit the target on my display, but it seems to take no damage. I perma locked server selection to EU only and suddenly my bullets means something more than just a spark fest initiator.

#166 s0hno

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:55 AM

My ping is mostly around 140ms (Germany) - which is not optimal of course, but I got used to it. After a while it's even possible to hit targets at long range with ACs.
However, last week, I had some serious connection issues, which lead to a high jitter (ping varying between 120-220ms), which vastly decreases the experienced quality, since manual adjustment (aiming with a lead to the target) is not possible anymore.
For me, relatively high pings (up to 160ms - any values above will influence the performance negatively) are not as problematic as high jitter values.

Edited by s0hno, 31 March 2015 - 05:07 AM.

#167 Frytrixa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:18 AM

View PostJon Cunningham, on 12 March 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

90-140 ms
140-180ms

90-120 - Ballistic weapons are o.k.
120-160 don't use Ballistics
160+ forget everything - try to predict with lasers

...my exp

Edited by Frytrixa, 31 March 2015 - 08:19 AM.

#168 Looreed

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:04 PM

Same as s0hno. I'm from Germany. With usual ping from 115 - 125 and it was ok for playing. The last few days I had ping that is as triple high as usual and jumping like crazy from 190 to over 300 and back. But it is not the whole time that high. Yesterday I played with nearly normal ping but today I start in the lobby with 200 and more and up to 350. Especially with with short range missiles and AC its impossible to shoot accurate with a ping over 220.

Edited by Deerool, 31 March 2015 - 03:06 PM.

#169 Lunatic_Asylum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 600 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:17 PM

I have been playing with 200-250. I see no problems whatoever.

#170 huskinater

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:20 PM

Normally around 80-100 but every now and then I have jumps up to 300 and some, and then mechs start popping and fidgeting around with weird hit-reg where I can fire at nothing and get hits.

#171 9thDeathscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts
  • LocationDown Under. 260 pinging.

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:23 AM

So Jon Cunningham, plenty of players responded. Whats your course of action, if any?

#172 Pryotra

Rookie

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:47 PM

I personally start to notice around the 140-180 range. I have played many games, across a wide spread of pings. and this is consistent for all but turn based games, where no one feels latency until around 1000 ping.

#173 Arcane Azmadi

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:08 PM

I'm in the Australian "ping never below 250 at lowest" camp and I'm pissed off. 3 years after I bought into this stupid game at the $80 level and it's STILL quite literally unplayable. I've discussed this with other (non-Australian) players and they're shocked that I'm even TRYING to play with this level of lag.

If I didn't know full well that I have an approximately 0% chance of success after all this time, I'd be demanding a refund on my preorder. I really think they could have been a bit more transparent with "btw if you're an Australian you're getting completely gypped". Worst money I've ever wasted on a video game...

And before you ask, no I have NOT still had 3 years of play out of the game. I've spent almost all that time sitting waiting for the game to get worked into a workable state before I spend time on it. 3 years on, I'm still waiting...

Edited by Arcane Azmadi, 02 April 2015 - 04:09 PM.

#174 zaid

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:18 PM

To summarize what I've read in this thread:

>250 ping means all around poor in game experience (hit reg, warping, etc.)

When your ping is significantly lower (~75) than other players, attacking hit reg is negatively affected but damage taken isn't affected as much. Could be a question of high latency players being used to leading other players, and low latency players being confused because they only need to lead high latency players, but don't need to lead low latency players. This is difficult to adjust for because it's not reasonable to know the ping of each player you are up against each round.

#175 BoneInspector

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:40 AM

Around 12 months ago, ping was 250 or so on Telstra ADSL2
Since I moved I am now on Cable but ping jumped to 300-320.

Since the move game has been just about unplayable, reminds me pre HSR fixes as I can shoot to my hearts content thinking I'm hitting mechs but end a round with sub 200 damage.

Pre move I could regularly score 400+.

Now I'm almost limited to LRM only, pity as I've just about stopped playing because of this.

#176 CHH Badkarma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 831 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:53 AM

for the first couple years of playing MWO my ping was a solid 85. Then much as now the main issue with hit reg was when using ppcs (either type). Safe to say then 1 out of 4-5 ppc shoots would not reg.

Now after pgi moving servers or whatever they did not to long ago my ping is a constant 110 about 90% of the time. The other 20% it will randomly be between 200-300. With the 110 ping PPCs reg half the time. literally. I reference ppcs mainly because they are my go to weapon and the most time using it. Hence the meter stick.

My only gripe was the over increase in spotty hit reg. Other than the ping spikes(and the usual clumsy in game feel and uber terrible hit reg) things have been fine

Location, west coast US

#177 s0hno

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:15 AM

View PostArcane Azmadi, on 02 April 2015 - 04:08 PM, said:

I'm in the Australian "ping never below 250 at lowest" camp and I'm pissed off.

I feel with you...
But to be honest, that's what you had to expect, same as I won't expect the ping to go below 100 in Germany. PGI can't beat the laws of physics or reinvent the internet.
The only possible solution would be separated servers for Europe, USA, Asia/Australia - which would lead to other problems or simply lead to the community's collapse.
And, as far as I remember, PGI always said (in beta times) that distributed server systems will only be instantiated, if at all, in a distant future.

Edited by s0hno, 03 April 2015 - 06:17 AM.

#178 9thDeathscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts
  • LocationDown Under. 260 pinging.

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:00 PM

View Posts0hno, on 03 April 2015 - 06:15 AM, said:

I feel with you...
But to be honest, that's what you had to expect, same as I won't expect the ping to go below 100 in Germany. PGI can't beat the laws of physics or reinvent the internet.
The only possible solution would be separated servers for Europe, USA, Asia/Australia - which would lead to other problems or simply lead to the community's collapse.
And, as far as I remember, PGI always said (in beta times) that distributed server systems will only be instantiated, if at all, in a distant future.

Well that's fair comment about the ping and laws of physics. But it doesn't account for the steadily deteriorating game play us Australians and other high ping players have been experiencing for the last year and a half.

Before the clans and the server move etc the high ping didn't really affect game play all that much. But mainly since the server migration things have been steadily getting worse.

Edited by Akulla1980, 03 April 2015 - 06:01 PM.

#179 Timuroslav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 672 posts
  • Location米国のネバダ州のリノで住んでいます。

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:32 AM

Personally, my experience as some one who used to play First person shooters, back in the originally Call of Duty. Red Orchestra and now this game.

I have to say people complaining about 100-150 are full of poop. I consistently play well with any weapon at 80-170 ping.
the only time Iwas like WTFBBQ? IS THIS S@#$? Is when I had a Full Srm6x5 Kintaro Alpha Strike a Griffin who had a ping of maybe 170 and he didn't lose his armor at all despite hitting him on caustic with 80 meters. I was so livid.

The universal rule of Ping is anything 200-270 Ping you start have to adapt your playing style.
270 Ping+ Just play for fun because you will never be competitive.

People are full of !#$% when they say they can notice a difference between 30Ping and 90 Ping. You just can't no human can count that fast nor even see the difference.
If you are seeing a difference, it is probable your frame rate or CPU stuttering.

Also some of these hit Registration issues could be a map issue, considering different maps have different performances.
In my opinion, Caustic Valley is the worst offender of 'Why Hit Reg No Work!?"

Keep in mind. PING is how many times a SERVER prompts your COMPUTER BEFORE your Computer Responds. Distance AND Computer Quality are both variables in this factor.

So pretty much, I feel bad for the Aussies, and I'm confused by the Europeans. Nonetheless they need a server, with how many play this game.

Edited by Timuroslav, 04 April 2015 - 09:37 AM.

#180 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:31 AM

140-180 and I start playing something else, bwcause thats unplayable for me. I can't hit anything at that range and just assume the router has had an emotional breakdown. I usually sit around 50-90-110 ping. Now other people can be around that range and it doesn't screw my game up too badly. But higher than that and we definitely see slingshotting mechs and my ppc/AC10 not registering.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users