Decrease In Quality Of Mechs Being Released

376 replies to this topic

#181 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:55 AM

I dont think the game is dying or anything but if they are going to try to keep at this pace of mech release they also need to make sure they can meet the needs of the higher pace.

New mechs being released dont have access to many skins. these unfinished skins pile up and in every cycle they get added at a later and later date.

The quality of animations have gone down significantly especially when it comes to chicken walkers. chicken walkers just require more time to animate, but ample time isnt being set aside do actually do them properly.

Despite the problems with the previously mentioned areas, it would be unfair to say PGI didnt improve in at least some aspects.
The dynamic geometry on the clan mechs are very good. Especially the timerwolf/summoner/hellbringer. Every weapon equiped looks good and like it should be there. Instead of looking like random barrels jutting out of a slab like some older dynamic geo looks. its very clear that they got Alex onboard with actually concepting and designing the pieces to the dynamic geometry. and he is doing a great job. Only exception is the nova and centurion custom geo looks terrible

#182 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:34 AM

View PostTennex, on 16 March 2015 - 03:55 AM, said:

I dont think the game is dying or anything but if they are going to try to keep at this pace of mech release they also need to make sure they can meet the needs of the higher pace.

New mechs being released dont have access to many skins. these unfinished skins pile up and in every cycle they get added at a later and later date.

The quality of animations have gone down significantly especially when it comes to chicken walkers. chicken walkers just require more time to animate, but ample time isnt being set aside do actually do them properly.

Despite the problems with the previously mentioned areas, it would be unfair to say PGI didnt improve in at least some aspects.
The dynamic geometry on the clan mechs are very good. Especially the timerwolf/summoner/hellbringer. Every weapon equiped looks good and like it should be there. Instead of looking like random barrels jutting out of a slab like some older dynamic geo looks. its very clear that they got Alex onboard with actually concepting and designing the pieces to the dynamic geometry. and he is doing a great job. Only exception is the nova and centurion custom geo looks terrible

Pretty much any fisted mechs with a lot of hard point in the arms look terrible--especially Mist Lynx. IMO, PGI should just remove the fists from Nova and the Lynx and put the energy hardpoints there. More aesthetically pleasing, and helps the arm durability too.

Edited by El Bandito, 16 March 2015 - 04:36 AM.

#183 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:56 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 16 March 2015 - 04:34 AM, said:

Pretty much any fisted mechs with a lot of hard point in the arms look terrible--especially Mist Lynx. IMO, PGI should just remove the fists from Nova and the Lynx and put the energy hardpoints there. More aesthetically pleasing, and helps the arm durability too.

The "cuffs" really bother me especially if there is 1 or no arm wep equipted. It doesnt really need to be there at all unless if maybe 5 or more lasers are equipted

#184 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:27 AM

View Postjayg20769, on 15 March 2015 - 11:58 PM, said:

One more thing that I don't think anybody mentioned was something I dearly missed from MW:3 and I think was sort of implemented in MW:4

Cockpit sway/lean (especially lean)

When I pilot any mech, especially the newer ones, the jittery motion of the cockpit feels like 2 bit gif cycling over and over, with no gravity to it. MW:4 was slightly guilty of this too, but that's probably attributed to the lack of detailed cockpits/ low fov.

MW:3 however, had extremely fluid swaying that felt very in time with the stomping of the feet. Not to mention that most people ITT agree that it also had most of everything that people are demanding to be improved.'

But the lack of lean is probably the most detaching feeling I get, especially when piloting small fast mechs. I remember slapping the biggest engine in a firefly in MW:3 and when I turned at full speed, the whole mech leaned into the corner, but only as much as I turned in. It wasn't an on/off kind of deal, but it gradually increased the lean angle, which was also dependant on the speed of the mech. At low speed, you would just see the ankles rotate.

However in MW:O, it feels like I'm on a roller coaster taking a flat curve.

Funny thing is, if you pop your 3PV camera you can see that the small fast 'mechs DO lean when they turn - and they lean quite significantly (I'd say a good 10-15 degrees). All 'mechs also bounce and sway a LOT as they move.

In the cockpit though, there's zero bounce, zero sway, zero lean. It's like we're perfectly gyro-stabilized while going 150 over uneven terrain, jumping and zig-zaging.

#185 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:32 AM

View Poststjobe, on 16 March 2015 - 10:27 AM, said:

Funny thing is, if you pop your 3PV camera you can see that the small fast 'mechs DO lean when they turn - and they lean quite significantly (I'd say a good 10-15 degrees). All 'mechs also bounce and sway a LOT as they move.

In the cockpit though, there's zero bounce, zero sway, zero lean. It's like we're perfectly gyro-stabilized while going 150 over uneven terrain, jumping and zig-zaging.

Even the King crab leans into a turn.

#186 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:53 AM

View PostMirumoto Izanami, on 16 March 2015 - 10:32 AM, said:

I'll take your word for it, I've never dropped in the two I own.

I bet that cockpit is still rock solid no matter what maneuvers you do though ;)

#187 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:56 AM

View Poststjobe, on 16 March 2015 - 10:53 AM, said:

I'll take your word for it, I've never dropped in the two I own.

I bet that cockpit is still rock solid no matter what maneuvers you do though ;)

Indeed. A little on the cramped side, viewing wise. You should drop in it though.

#188 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:58 AM

View PostMirumoto Izanami, on 16 March 2015 - 10:32 AM, said:

Actually, i'm pretty sure majority of the mechs lean (at least to some extent). I noticed it with my Centurion.
Since i really enjoy looking at my mech in 3rd person (i never fight in it, cause that's dumb, just at the start of the match to look around the team composition) and i did notice that when running and turning to the side it does lean towards the side, but not much.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 16 March 2015 - 10:58 AM.

#189 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:14 AM

View PostMirumoto Izanami, on 16 March 2015 - 10:56 AM, said:

You should drop in it though.

One of the benefits of being middle-aged is that you have had the time to get to know some of your limits - one of mine is that I'm a lousy heavy/assault pilot; too slow for me. I get bored, which makes me impatient, which makes me invariably push on and blunder into a situation I can't get that darned 100-ton junk of plodding metal out of :)

Give me a light or fast medium though, and I can play as aggressively as I like and get away with it more often than not :)

#190 Clint Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 567 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:55 AM

The Grasshoppers size seems fine, I guess we'll see when it comes out tomorrow.

The Adder desperately needs feet animations

The Maddog's left foot is glitched too.

It's a little weird for shooting, but I like that the Summoner keeps his hands up while running, I wish all Mechs had a "Sprinting" animation, it would make them more dynamic, could be reasoned out that they need to use their arms for stabilization, could be an interesting negative for mechs without full arms would not benefit from the "sprint"

#191 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:51 PM

View PostTimelordwho, on 15 March 2015 - 08:44 PM, said:

Cents are durable as **** compared to hunchies though. they just soak hits and keep on ticking.
Hunch is more condensed, but the cent has that beautiful, beautiful shield.

#192 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:03 PM

I mean do these really need to be there? When you've got 1 ballistic or like 1 laser equipt.

It just looks so bad

Posted Image

#193 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:11 PM

View PostTennex, on 16 March 2015 - 02:03 PM, said:

I mean do these really need to be there? When you've got 1 ballistic or like 1 laser equipt.

It just looks so bad

Posted Image

What... you don't like Legomechs dynamic hardpoint visuals?

#194 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:24 AM

View PostThe Mechromancer, on 14 March 2015 - 04:56 PM, said:

Hey, how do you manage to have such a larger signature?

#195 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:28 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 14 March 2015 - 08:40 PM, said:

MW4 models are just mostly bad......like that Summoner in your post....just hideous.

Indeed. The models themselves are not better than the MW3's models, but the animations are actually good.

Edited by Odanan, 17 March 2015 - 03:28 AM.

#196 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:32 AM

View PostOdanan, on 17 March 2015 - 03:28 AM, said:

Indeed. The models themselves are not better than the MW3's models, but the animations are actually good.

Exactly. There's a difference between model design and animation. Only one is really relevant to this discussion, and model design won't change...

#197 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:24 PM

Something else to add to that list:

Posted Image

#198 Lulz Kev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:37 PM

Sad face.

Unique weapons, good idea in theory very poorly executed.

#199 Xaiier

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:52 PM

What a wonderful collection of derp OP. Wish PGI would take a look at these.

#200 Virgil Greyson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 277 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:21 PM

Maybe funding is tight.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users