Really Organizing our House

103 replies to this topic

#1 Ito Ogami

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:15 AM

Howdy all,

Folks let me be the first to say Bravo Zulu to those members that have formed up into lances and companies.

No names are needed to be called out, you know who you are.

But, let me also be the first one to say that we need to do more.

Hm, who am I?

Well, I am just a member from the past who most of you do not know.

But, as a member of this great house let me be the first to say, we need to be better prepared for the furture than we have been in the present.

I for one have only seen very few members forming up and preparing for the future of the game.

Too much talk and no action means loses in the end.

We need to organize first into lances, then companys, battalions, regiments and lastly into Districts. We need to start thinking of the future and stop thinking of personal ambitions.

No one knows what this game will become, but one thing is certain, we "House Marik" will be at war with other House's (and yes the clans).

I have a vision, in the near furture invaders will be coming from the outer rims with the intent of destroying what we have.

So we need core leadership, we need Commanders that are willing to take the helm and be recognized for their actions.

Do I think that we need a House Leader at this time, a Captain General?

No, of course not, only a fool would ever want to lead where there is nothing to lead.

We need members who see what is coming and prepare for it.

We need members to organize and look to the whole and stop looking to the part.

Those that look for personal ambitions are the ones that will make our House lose everything.

Our House is more than one member and we must see that.

So, why not we have a sit down and talk, it is better than not saying a word.

#2 Vincent J Magnum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 131 posts
  • LocationRegulus

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:49 AM

View PostIto Ogami, on 01 July 2012 - 02:15 AM, said:

Howdy all,

Folks let me be the first to say Bravo Zulu to those members that have formed up into lances and companies.

Hm, who am I?

But, as a member of this great house let me be the first to say, we need to be better prepared for the furture than we have been in the present.

I for one have only seen very few members forming up and preparing for the future of the game.

We need to organize first into lances, then companys, battalions, regiments and lastly into Districts. We need to start thinking of the future and stop thinking of personal ambitions.

No one knows what this game will become, but one thing is certain, we "House Marik" will be at war with other House's (and yes the clans).

I have a vision, in the near furture invaders will be coming from the outer rims with the intent of destroying what we have.

So we need core leadership, we need Commanders that are willing to take the helm and be recognized for their actions.

No, of course not, only a fool would ever want to lead where there is nothing to lead.

Those that look for personal ambitions are the ones that will make our House lose everything.

Couldnt have said it better myself Ito ;)

#3 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:40 AM

The way I figure it, we'll have a few different types of folks in the FWL, leading to a few different types of organizational structures.

Seems that firstly we have the folks that are from MBPT and the like. I don't know much about that stuff, only that they seem like they know what they are doing, and that they are fiercely independent, and feel like if anyone should be running ****, it should be them. Maybe they're right; they're the only ones that actually HAVE done anything like this in a BT game before.

Then we have the MW3/4 or MWLL folks. I'm one of them. Maybe they've been in clans/units before, maybe not. They've got some experience, and perhaps more relevant piloting skill than others. Maybe not. Seems like they want to make smallish units with the intention of being laid-back fighting groups with a focus on combat; not role-play or organization beyond combat.

Then we're going to have the guys that are new to BT, or only casually played MW4...or god forbid, the MechAssault games. More than likely, the most thought they have put into the matter is selecting the nifty looking purple eagle (although this group is more likely to hang with steiner/davion as they're more recognizable from the mainstream games). They probably aren't looking to people to fight with right now. They may be the least skills, or they may be extremely talented. Major wild-cards here. Regardless, they probably won't be good lance material. I'd rather have a veteran of MBPT or MW2/3/4/LL any day watching my 6.

The point I'm trying to make is, you guys that are looking for large-scale organization like this are going to have to work with others that are looking for the same thing. There are going to be a lot of dudes that just aren't into it, either from a desire for independence (the YOU CANT TELL ME WHAT TO DO YOU ARENT MY MOM factor, or hopefully more of a Eh, I'll pass factor), or from lack of knowledge. Good luck to you guys, seems like you'll need it. Hell, we'll all need it fighting for the free worlds, seems as though we're outnumbered by the mary-sue davions more than 2 to 1, and close to the same with steiner and kurita.

#4 Moose13

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:09 AM

Are we a House divided?

#5 Lightdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:19 AM

im in the free worlds league for the tech, nothing more nothing less, i enjoy playing a support role and free worlds league throughout the battletech timeline has created some of the best support designs for combined arms tactics (archer variants, apollo, trebuchet,orion,stalker,hammer, i think you get the idea im a missile *****)

#6 MC Hammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 185 posts
  • LocationTN/GA

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:44 AM

http://housemarik.enjin.com

#7 Kenyon

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

The times that people play is a pretty big factor also. Being organized is great but matters little if Your Company plays at different times.

Kenyon

#8 The Justicar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

The main reason this isn't being done by us (the enjin site admins) or RMA or some other group is there is a bit of uncertainty with exactly how player organization will be supported in-game.

Specifically, this:

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 07 December 2011 - 04:00 PM, said:

Loyalty Points and Ranks

Loyalty Points are used to determine how devoted you have been to a particular faction. The more loyal you are, the greater the reward. LPs are earned by engaging in activities that further the goals of a particular faction.

For Example: Killing an enemy faction player would earn 1 LP.

Loyalty Points decay over time if a player is not active. Participating in negative actions can also decrease LPs.

Faction Players

As a Faction Player, loyalty points are earned by playing and winning matches. As the player accumulates loyalty points, they will gain a military faction rank at pre-determined loyalty point totals. If a player loses LPs by decay or negative actions, they will be demoted.

Gaining ranks earns special privileges and items, including membership to special units, unit skins, and bonuses to C-Bills and XP. These are all non-permanent and subject to the player maintaining a certain rank level. At the highest possible levels, players can begin to influence their faction by controlling which planets are targeted in territory conquest.

Mercenary Corp Players

As a Mercenary Corporation, all members’ earned loyalty points go to the Merc Corp. The Merc Corp must have a minimum amount of loyalty points with a faction before they are able to engage in planetary combat on behalf of that faction. Loyalty points also determine the type and level of contract a Merc Corp is permitted to bid on. These loyalty point restrictions mean that a Merc Corp’s membership, must remain active in order to maintain the required level of LPs.

Ranks are created within a Merc Corp by the Merc Corp leader. The naming of the ranks is entirely up to the Merc Corp leader who can assign Merc Corp level permissions to each rank.

It talks an awful lot about ranks, meaning the game will likely handle the majority of faction organization. We probably won't have any control over organization past the lance level, company at the absolute most (unlikely). This, in my opinion, is why nobody has gotten serious about organization.

Take a peek around the faction boards, we're not the only ones not getting serious about it.

I'm not saying you can't make your own company of a couple lances and just drop together, but will you be able to make your own company in-game? Will we be able to use custom tags in-game? Its already stated that our in-game handle will be our forum handle.

There's a lot of unknowns right now that I don't expect to see resolved until the Founder's group gets into beta and/or the NDA is lifted. Once these questions have been resolved we'll see player organization taken to the fullest extent possible.

Also, like Sandersson said, there is bound to be a huge influx of players who have A) never played mechwarrior, B) don't care AT ALL about lore/factions/rp, and C) just want to blow up robots and be a massive troll in a free game. We're going to have to deal with this, and PG knows that. This is probably why PG will make the game do the majority of organization - to minimize the clash between people who want an old-school command structure and the people who just want to play and damn taking orders from other players. Things in the gaming world have changed drastically, and speaking as someone in school for a BS in game design, I think this is the only way PG can make this game work, especially being F2P.

Edited by The Justicar, 01 July 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#9 Bearcut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • 261 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

Thanks Justicar, very informative post.
Helped me quite a bit as I'm browsing around looking for a faction

#10 Ito Ogami

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

View PostMoose13, on 01 July 2012 - 06:09 AM, said:

Are we a House divided?

Howdy,

Our House is not divided, we have always had many opinions I think that's what makes us who we are.

#11 Ito Ogami

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

http://housemarik.enjin.com

Howdy,

Bravo Zulu to you guys for making this site and say we need more sites like yours not less.

Folks need to see the other House's and see how well they are preparing for the game. They are getting to know each other while we wait and sit around. We need to get to know each other better and creating sites like this is a great way.

The main reason this isn't being done by us (the enjin site admins) or RMA or some other group is there is a bit of uncertainty with exactly how player organization will be supported in-game

The Justicar, I agree with you we do not know, but we need more interest and not less. We can not wait for the game to dictate who we are. Let them have the command sturcture let them decide what that will be. But let us form who we are as a House.

We need to get to know each other. No, I do not mean the "where are you in RL" topic no, I mean who we are. More sites would help and more interest here would really help. One way to get this done is for people to talk more here.

Out of the six Great Houses we show the least amount of interest. We have the least replies with 2721 while House Davion has the most with 6455. We need to be more organized than this.

New players will be coming here soon and folks always flock to where the most lights are lit and right now Marik's lights are very dim. But it has not always been so.

In the beginning of this site before it came to light that the game was not going to be controlled by the players, Marik showed a whole lot of interest. But when folks realized that their personal ambitions would not be sated here they moved off.

There has to be more to this game than just personal ambitions. This is a community based game and we need to be a community. Only way that can happen is if we show more interest.

Again, this is my personal opinion.

#12 Nehrul

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLooking for a new command

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

I have to agree with Ito,

When we talk about getting organized, picking a House Leader, or even House Leadership is not the point. On many occasions it is the RCO that are actually running the day-to-day operations, and that has always been the Strength in House Marik's command structure, that our Field Commanders have worked closely together to make quick decisions because they all knew each other and had open lines of communication.

If we we can get the people who are interested in leading talking with each other, and organizing how they are going to work together, then we have already given our House a head-start once the game goes live.

#13 GHQCommander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

View PostIto Ogami, on 01 July 2012 - 02:15 AM, said:

Howdy all,

Hm, who am I?

Dude, you are smoking some crazy stuff. I bet your Mech cockpit is so cloudy, you shoot your own team mates!

Look forward to blowing you all up. You'll be so busy talking crap and "getting organised" you'll forget to get good at the game ^_^

Edited by GHQCommander, 01 July 2012 - 04:56 PM.

#14 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

Guys with Pink eagle on their flag trying to organize

#15 Moose13

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

View PostBluey, on 01 July 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

Look what the cat cough up, a blue fuzzball. Eat lead Steiner scum.

#16 The Justicar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

See what I mean? We already have trolls. And we're not even out of the first phase of closed beta.

Have your super high skill cap, GHQ. I've played high-end competitively in twitch shooters but while you're blitzing and instantly dying and having a heart attack due to your rage, I'll be chilling with my lancemates having a grand old time ignoring your childish banter.

By the way Bluey, there are specially-made contact lenses that may be able to help you with your colorblindess. However, I don't think there's any kind of treatment for being Steiner other than a salvo of Marik LRMs which can have nasty side-effects. YMMV, but I'd be happy to send you a trial batch.

Cheers.
<S>

Edited by The Justicar, 01 July 2012 - 05:12 PM.

#17 GHQCommander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

An eagle?

You *****...it's a Pigeon.

#18 Ito Ogami

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

Howdy all,

First of all trolls will be trolls and you must never feed them because that is the only way they grow. So ignor them like a mushroom and let them fester in their own droppings.

#19 Ito Ogami

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

View PostGHQCommander, on 01 July 2012 - 04:54 PM, said:

Dude, you are smoking some crazy stuff. I bet your Mech cockpit is so cloudy, you shoot your own team mates!

Look forward to blowing you all up. You'll be so busy talking crap and "getting organised" you'll forget to get good at the game ^_^

Howdy,

No, I do not smoke anything, I find smoking anything leads to ruined lungs and who really wants that. Hell, I onyl drink a few drinks a week and that is with friends.

So do you smoke anything or drink anything?

Please do tell would love to hear from you again.

#20 Ito Ogami

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

Howdy,

How interesting, you see pink? Hm, medication can probably aide you to see better colors. Oh wait, you were trying to be humorous, great joke. ^_^

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users