Hbk Vs Cn9 Who's Better

86 replies to this topic

#61 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:14 AM

The AH has a very good SRM-4 fire rate even w/o an additional module. You can alpha the AC20/3 SRM-4 with relatively low heat.

Despite the shield arm I've always found HBKs harder to kill, so they win in the survival department. I think you should grab a CN9-AH and a HBK-GI and see what you like better!

#62 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:58 AM

I had more fun using the Centurions than the Hunchback.. Centurion was my first Medium weight 'mech and even though it's bigger than the Hunchback.. it felt like the Hunchback was easier for the enemy to strip down because they had a general idea of what part to shoot first.

#63 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:09 AM

At medium and long ranges the Hunchback wins. At close range the Centurion outshines mechs much heavier than it, let alone a Hunchie that is easier to disarm than most.

#64 Precentor Ward

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:45 AM

View PostBanky, on 03 April 2015 - 04:03 PM, said:

For my 2 cents, I'm the minority in that the CN9-AL is hands down my favorite 50 tonner. The LL perks allow for some very nice and well-rounded standard engine builds. The mech was already kind of a beast before if you went with a straight ML/SRM6/standard template. Now with a pair of LLs it's alpine proofed...

I too am in the minority, the AL is my favorite medium by far. I run this build here, which has done the trick nicely. Chuck on an adv zoom and LLcooldown and you have a winner. Seriously good mech.

As for the actual topic at hand I have played both and they are really both excellent mechs.. If I had to go with one I would say CN9 for nostalgia and also the CN9-AL.

#65 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:41 PM

I put them about equal, or too close to call.

That being said, I much prefer the Hunchback, especially my 4P.

Roasting a mech with a 45 point Death Star blast never gets old.

#66 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:32 PM

Started running the AL again. 2 LLAS in the arm, 2 MLAS in the torso and 2 SRM4s with an STD275 engine. The burn time of the LLAS is fantastic and with the heat quirk it's nice and cool when making sustained longer range attacks. What's great is despite my bright red color scheme on a match in Alpine I was virtually invisible so long as I stood next to at least 2 other mechs.

#67 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:00 PM

Which one do you think is easier for a new player to slip into? I got the trebuchet but I made a total mess out of it and just sold it and I want to use a bigger mech than a light and IS mediums seem the best play to start, I just don't know which.

Edited by Deimos Alpha, 03 May 2015 - 02:10 PM.

#68 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:18 PM

View PostDeimos Alpha, on 03 May 2015 - 02:00 PM, said:

Which one do you think is easier for a new player to slip into? I got the trebuchet but I made a total mess out of it and just sold it and I want to use a bigger mech than a light and IS mediums seem the best play to start, I just don't know which.

Personally, I think the Hunchback is the easier mech to use out of the two. The Centurion is nice, but the hunchback tends to have a smaller frame and batter hard point locations. You also have a hunchback for just about any play style. You don't have a shield arm to work with, so you don't have to survive by twisting your torso to try and avert damage as much (it's still nice to do, even with the Hunchback). The Hunchback also has that rather crazy twist range as well.

Overall, either mech should be a good starter mech, but I feel the Hunchback is a better choice for a starter player.

#69 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:30 PM

View PostTesunie, on 03 May 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

Personally, I think the Hunchback is the easier mech to use out of the two. The Centurion is nice, but the hunchback tends to have a smaller frame and batter hard point locations. You also have a hunchback for just about any play style. You don't have a shield arm to work with, so you don't have to survive by twisting your torso to try and avert damage as much (it's still nice to do, even with the Hunchback). The Hunchback also has that rather crazy twist range as well.

Overall, either mech should be a good starter mech, but I feel the Hunchback is a better choice for a starter player.

#70 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:41 PM

View PostDeimos Alpha, on 03 May 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

That will depends upon what you think your play style might be. I personally love my 4J, but not everyone likes LRMs.

Right now the 4P is probably going to be most "meta", as Lasers seem to be the big thing right now. If you like getting in close, the AC20 version can be nice.

Is there any particular style or trial mech you liked how it played? Can't really make a suggestion without knowing what you like to play.

#71 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:50 PM

View PostTesunie, on 03 May 2015 - 03:41 PM, said:

That will depends upon what you think your play style might be. I personally love my 4J, but not everyone likes LRMs.

Right now the 4P is probably going to be most "meta", as Lasers seem to be the big thing right now. If you like getting in close, the AC20 version can be nice.

Is there any particular style or trial mech you liked how it played? Can't really make a suggestion without knowing what you like to play.

The most practice I've had is with an Adder that has x4 c-srm 6+artemis which I use for hit and run strikes.

Edited by Deimos Alpha, 03 May 2015 - 03:56 PM.

#72 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:04 PM

View PostDeimos Alpha, on 03 May 2015 - 03:50 PM, said:

The most practice I've had is with a Adder that has x4 c-srm 6+artemis which I use for hit and run strikes.

Sounds as though if you liked those SRMs, the Hunchback 4SP could be a good ride for you. Has 2 missile hard points and 5 energy hard points. Is a flexible enough mech for either SRMs or LRMs, with plenty of lasers to give a good punch as well. I don't have any builds for SRMs to share, but my 4SP is set up for LRMs.

Depending upon if you wish to spend real money in this game, the Hunchback champion has a decent builds to start with (it's a pre-modified 4P). If you get the Hunchback mastery pack, you'd get a standard variant (I don't know which oneIt's the 4SP), the Champoin 4P and the hero Hunchback Gridiron (which has 30% boost to C-bills earned). I personally just save up and buy mechs with C-bills, but I just wish to present the option as it is there. (It would cost you the $30 pack of MC to purchase it.)

Too bad the Hunchback 4P isn't in the trial rotation right now. If it was, I'd recommend you take it for a spin and decide for yourself, before spending c-bills on it.

Don't forget to check out Smurfy Mechlab before you buy! It's a very handy website to have bookmarked... This can help you create a build before you buy. If you do create a build on there before hand, and want advise, just message me or post here. I'll give any advise I can.

Edited by Tesunie, 03 May 2015 - 04:07 PM.

#73 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:23 PM

That's great thanks :) Not got the money both irl and ingame atm but I nearly have the credits for one, I don't mind long range missiles, I think I just spammed them when I used them with trial mechs at the beginning and I wasn't very successful, but now I know I should pick my shots better.

Edited by Deimos Alpha, 03 May 2015 - 04:33 PM.

#74 Setun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 172 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:27 PM

I will put my vote in for the Hunchbacks every time. With the exception of the 4H (AC 10 one) all of the variants of the HBK are just powerful as hell. Grid Iron in particular can chip away at any Centurion before they get to optimal range.

#75 Setun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 172 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:49 PM

View PostTesunie, on 03 May 2015 - 04:04 PM, said:

Sounds as though if you liked those SRMs, the Hunchback 4SP could be a good ride for you. Has 2 missile hard points and 5 energy hard points. Is a flexible enough mech for either SRMs or LRMs, with plenty of lasers to give a good punch as well. I don't have any builds for SRMs to share, but my 4SP is set up for LRMs.

Depending upon if you wish to spend real money in this game, the Hunchback champion has a decent builds to start with (it's a pre-modified 4P). If you get the Hunchback mastery pack, you'd get a standard variant (I don't know which oneIt's the 4SP), the Champoin 4P and the hero Hunchback Gridiron (which has 30% boost to C-bills earned). I personally just save up and buy mechs with C-bills, but I just wish to present the option as it is there. (It would cost you the $30 pack of MC to purchase it.)

Too bad the Hunchback 4P isn't in the trial rotation right now. If it was, I'd recommend you take it for a spin and decide for yourself, before spending c-bills on it.

Don't forget to check out Smurfy Mechlab before you buy! It's a very handy website to have bookmarked... This can help you create a build before you buy. If you do create a build on there before hand, and want advise, just message me or post here. I'll give any advise I can.

I use this to great effect on my 4SP:
STD 255 Engine + 2 Dbl Heat Sinks
x4 small lasers (in arms)
x1 medium laser (head)
x2 SRM 6 + artemis (5 tons ammo) [put on chain fire for best effect]
Endo Steel / Artemis / Dbl Heat Sink upgrades
SRM6 range + cooldown modules

With chain fire on the SRMs the heat they generate over time is very manageable, plus you're slinging an SRM6 every second on an enemy. It's absurb how quickly you're able to blast components off enemies just with the SRMs going constantly. Throw in the lasers when things get really close and anyone running an XL engine is going to have a bad time.

#76 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:54 PM

I have both 'mechs and personally I choose the Hunchback-4J over the Centurion cn9-D build.

#77 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:41 AM

I don't get this mech the 4SP, it's soooo slow yet has medium lasers, I'm never in effective range to use them and get killed often for less than 100 damage, I usually do around 200 on average with my sml adder, just not sure what to do this with mech.

Edited by Deimos Alpha, 04 May 2015 - 06:42 AM.

#78 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:26 PM

View PostDeimos Alpha, on 04 May 2015 - 06:41 AM, said:

I don't get this mech the 4SP, it's soooo slow yet has medium lasers, I'm never in effective range to use them and get killed often for less than 100 damage, I usually do around 200 on average with my sml adder, just not sure what to do this with mech.

Read your PM, but just to say it, you probably need a larger engine in the mech. A 250 should be good for the job. If range is your issue, look at the Large Laser build I sent your way. It might be more helpful for you.

#79 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:38 PM

HBK has better variants, but Cent seems to absorb damage better.

#80 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:21 PM

View PostHavyek, on 04 May 2015 - 05:38 PM, said:

HBK has better variants, but Cent seems to absorb damage better.

To absorb more damage in a hunchback without losing your firepower, you really have to know what your doing. In centurion flailing your arms around pretty much does the job.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users