81 replies to this topic

#1 Mcchuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 838 posts
  • LocationYour core

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:49 PM

I am curious as to where I actually stand skill-wise. A lot of games have percentile rankings, or in-game ranks based on player performance, but as far as I am aware, MWO has no actual official way to see how you compare to the whole player base.

Right now I'm sitting at a 1.92 k/d with a 553/480 win-loss ratio. I usually sit around 2.0 k/d but my numbers are currently recovering from a couple recent and disastrous build experiments that pulled them down. Grinding new clan mechs to elite status also didn't help, but at least I'm done with that for a while. I also understand that because of the way the matchmaker works, the better you are the crappier teammates you get paired with and vice versa, and this drives your win/loss ratio close to 1/1 no matter if you are good or terrible.

So a normally 1.9-2.0 k/d: Good, bad, in the middle? What stats do top-tier players have? Is there a place to check out leaderboards and my individual standing?

#2 Mcchuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 838 posts
  • LocationYour core

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:52 PM

Really? A few hours and still no reply from anyone? I figured such an active forum community would have SOMETHING to say at least. Not even an obligatory #learntoplay troll post? Hell has officially frozen over...

#3 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:57 PM

I'm not sure how you would compare true skill in the game, but it isn't your k/d or w/l ratio.

#4 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:04 PM

Right now you stand in my shadow. Is it cold?

#5 Mcchuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 838 posts
  • LocationYour core

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:10 PM

View PostAmsro, on 08 April 2015 - 04:57 PM, said:

I'm not sure how you would compare true skill in the game, but it isn't your k/d or w/l ratio.

Really? In pure pug matches I would think those things would be good indicators. How do you win a game of MWO? You either capture an objective (which very rarely happens) or you destroy the enemy team. Therefore, wouldn't killing more enemies than times you are killed help your team and therefore boost your w/l ratio above 1/1? That's my take on it. Either that or extremely good spotting/narcing/team coordination, but those circumstances are considerably less common.

View PostXetelian, on 08 April 2015 - 05:04 PM, said:

Right now you stand in my shadow. Is it cold?

'Bout time! Haha. However, announce thy k/d, and if yours is truly bigger than mine I shall bow in deference and ask for your instruction, sensei.

#6 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:13 PM

Doesnt sound like you are in ELO hell just wait.

Just keep killing mechs, you will know when you arrive.

#7 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:17 PM

The problem with KD or WL as an indicator is it is skewed by grinding experience in under equipped mechs you only got because you had to so you could master tier the variant you really wanted. A lot of people just slug thru sub par rather than sink money into upgrading a mech that will only get played thru basic maybe elite.
Guilty (just a little)

Edited by Tractor Joe, 08 April 2015 - 05:18 PM.

#8 Mcchuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 838 posts
  • LocationYour core

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:24 PM

View PostTractor Joe, on 08 April 2015 - 05:17 PM, said:

The problem with KD or WL as an indicator is it is skewed by grinding experience in under equipped mechs you only got because you had to so you could master tier the variant you really wanted. A lot of people just slug thru sub par rather than sink money into upgrading a mech that will only get played thru basic maybe elite.
Guilty (just a little)

Yes, but wouldn't a good player compensate somewhat for bad mechs with skill? Isn't most everyone grinding mechs, and therefore subjected to the same pressures? Every time I grind or run a bad build I come back and hover at around 2.0 when I go back to using my favored elited mechs...

#9 Mcchuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 838 posts
  • LocationYour core

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:27 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 08 April 2015 - 05:13 PM, said:

Doesnt sound like you are in ELO hell just wait.

Just keep killing mechs, you will know when you arrive.

I'm a 3-year vet, and I already carry almost every game, so I think I'm there already. I know I'm not bad, in terms of being able to crush most other pugs in an even fight. I want to know HOW good, compared to the elites, which I don't think I am quite yet. I want to know what I need to be shooting for to be one.

Edited by Mcchuggernaut, 08 April 2015 - 05:28 PM.

#10 WeatherWitch

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:30 PM

I agree, k/d r is too easily boosted by people hanging back in pug matches so they can wade into the fight at the en in a fresh mech and grab a bunch of kills. Also w/l is heavily dependant on how your team does, even the best couldn't repeatedly carry 11 bad players.

#11 N0MAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:32 PM

KDRis easy to manipulate. eg..
Stand at the back of the pack constantly cycle thru targets, find a heavily damage target race in kill it, return to back of pack..great way to lift your KDR...there are other easy ways to milk kills.

#12 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:32 PM

View PostMcchuggernaut, on 08 April 2015 - 05:27 PM, said:

I'm a 3-year vet, and I already carry almost every game, so I think I'm there already. I know I'm not bad, in terms of being able to crush most other pugs in an even fight. I want to know HOW good, compared to the elites, which I don't think I am quite yet. I want to know what I need to be shooting for to be one.

Find some of the comp guys and go to their practice?

Ive heard some of the comp guys are only average in a solo duel but murderous as a unit. Prolly different skill sets that what normaly works in Puglania.

#13 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:33 PM

View PostMcchuggernaut, on 08 April 2015 - 02:49 PM, said:

Is there a place to check out leaderboards and my individual standing?

No, because that would hurt people's feelings and lead to bullying. And then grown men would tell other grown men that they're dumb because they have a low KDR and everyone would feel bad and the forums would collapse.

Or so I'm told.

View PostInspectorG, on 08 April 2015 - 05:32 PM, said:

Find some of the comp guys and go to their practice?

Ive heard some of the comp guys are only average in a solo duel but murderous as a unit. Prolly different skill sets that what normaly works in Puglania.

This guy knows what's up.

#14 Mcchuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 838 posts
  • LocationYour core

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:34 PM

View PostWeatherdoG, on 08 April 2015 - 05:30 PM, said:

Also w/l is heavily dependant on how your team does, even the best couldn't repeatedly carry 11 bad players.

Yes, very true. I try to compensate for a rolled team by picking my target as I die. If I am about to get swarmed and know it I don't run. I pick the most damaged enemy I can find and try to take him with me to at least come out of a losing game 1/1 instead of 1/0, and If I got one or two enemies beforehand and did a lot of damage all the better.

#15 Mcchuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 838 posts
  • LocationYour core

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:38 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 08 April 2015 - 05:32 PM, said:

Oh, great teamwork is most certainly the easiest way to win and survive for sure. I was more talking about my individual pilot skill. It's pretty well known that teamwork is OP and beats individual skill any day, but a team of individually skilled pilots using teamwork is the most devastating opponent to face.

#16 Throat Punch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 874 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNC, Terra

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:39 PM

Maybe its just me, but this whole post reeks of "Look at me guys, I'm so good, I carry every match, look at me, tell me how good I know I am!"

Posted Image

But, like I said, maybe it's just me...

#17 Mcchuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 838 posts
  • LocationYour core

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:41 PM

View PostN0MAD, on 08 April 2015 - 05:32 PM, said:

KDRis easy to manipulate. eg..
Stand at the back of the pack constantly cycle thru targets, find a heavily damage target race in kill it, return to back of pack..great way to lift your KDR...there are other easy ways to milk kills.

But...aren't you SUPPOSED to focus and take out individual mechs quickly while taking minimal damage in return? You don't have to be an ass and hide in the back all game to do that. You can stay right on the front lines and achieve the same result while actually helping your team, which will result in more wins which will in turn result in more kills cleaning up a defeated enemy.

#18 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:45 PM

Just think of it like this. Your skill level is above 50% of the total players if you have more than 1:1 WLR. Probably not entirely accurate but it helps me sleep better at night, so what the heck.

Edited by El Bandito, 08 April 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#19 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:49 PM

View PostMcchuggernaut, on 08 April 2015 - 05:38 PM, said:

Oh, great teamwork is most certainly the easiest way to win and survive for sure. I was more talking about my individual pilot skill. It's pretty well known that teamwork is OP and beats individual skill any day, but a team of individually skilled pilots using teamwork is the most devastating opponent to face.

Yeah but comp level 'team play' is a whole different animal.

Sounds like you want Solaris 1 vs 1 deathmatch.

Until we get that i dont think there is a metric for measureing how good you are as an individual.

Though good comp players would recognize decent skill, presumably. You impress them, you are likely good. If they think you are so-so...they will let you know and why.

#20 Mcchuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 838 posts
  • LocationYour core

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:51 PM

View PostMors Draco, on 08 April 2015 - 05:39 PM, said:

Maybe its just me, but this whole post reeks of "Look at me guys, I'm so good, I carry every match, look at me, tell me how good I know I am!"

Aaaaannnnnddddd this is why people are so hesitant to state their stats and ask their peers about where they think you stand overall. You get accused of bragging. Or ridiculed if they aren't good. I was pretty sure someone would do that, but the potential knowledge I could gain from other answers I felt was worth the hating of some haters.

Edited by Mcchuggernaut, 08 April 2015 - 05:54 PM.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users