Why Do The Forums Log You Off Every Day?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:27 AM

Simple question, looking for a simple answer. There should be an option for us to stay signed in indefinitely. For people who check the forums at around the same hour every day, it's torture to come here, type up a long post, click Post Reply and have it disappear into the void because your login session timed out while you were typing your message.

It's rather asinine. Can this be an option? Please? Pretty? Which cherries on top?

#2 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:09 AM

I thought I heard that there was a timer that lasted for 24 hours that, once it expired, logged users out. Never experienced it myself (as I log myself out whenever I am done) but I guess that is this.

No idea why such a thing is there. And I like your point, and I can see how the auto log-out could be a drag. o:

#3 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:32 AM

I have the same problem. Long posts vanishing and all.

You get this great idea and then the forums log you off and it disappears. Even though it 'autosaves' your post. I HATE IT when that happens :angry:.

/endrant/

Edited by DavidHurricane, 13 April 2015 - 08:32 AM.

#4 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:42 AM

View PostTarogato, on 13 April 2015 - 06:27 AM, said:

Simple question, looking for a simple answer. There should be an option for us to stay signed in indefinitely. For people who check the forums at around the same hour every day, it's torture to come here, type up a long post, click Post Reply and have it disappear into the void because your login session timed out while you were typing your message.

It's rather asinine. Can this be an option? Please? Pretty? Which cherries on top?

I have just given up on 2-3 paragraph help replies and bug reports because of this.....*sigh*

I have sent email into support as well....

#5 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:48 AM

View PostDarthRevis, on 13 April 2015 - 09:42 AM, said:

I have just given up on 2-3 paragraph help replies and bug reports because of this.....*sigh*

I have sent email into support as well....

I try to make a habit of Ctrl+C every post before I click "Reply" ... but it's the one time you forget, it Shirley catches you by surprise.

#6 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:58 AM

Bad software is bad. I noticed that it sometimes happens when I log into my alt account in the MWO client. At other times, it just happens...

#7 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:22 PM

Umm...logout and back in? I mean seriously? Type your password vs losing a long reply.

JIC: Sit down at PC. Logout. Login. Start browsing. If times out and you lose post, you need professional help.

#8 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:21 AM

This is still irritating me every day. Logs me out in the middle of sessions.
http://mwomercs.com/...-hours-of-work/
http://mwomercs.com/...um-auto-logout/
http://mwomercs.com/...22-auto-logout/
http://mwomercs.com/...o-logouteleven/
http://mwomercs.com/...-off-every-day/
http://mwomercs.com/...-re-logging-in/
http://mwomercs.com/...of-the-website/

Posted Image

Edited by Tarogato, 12 September 2015 - 07:22 AM.

#9 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 13 September 2015 - 04:42 AM

IIRC Kyle, their Webadmin is a stickler for security.. which is a good thing as look at how many game sites get hacked when CC info can be obtained. Part of the security is the 24 hour login aspect... We had to convince him to at least give us that. If he had had his way, you would be logging on every time you accidentally close the window.

Just needs to refresh every login I think. That could solve most peoples problem.

#10 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 13 September 2015 - 06:52 AM

View PostWonderSparks, on 13 April 2015 - 08:09 AM, said:

I thought I heard that there was a timer that lasted for 24 hours that, once it expired, logged users out. Never experienced it myself (as I log myself out whenever I am done) but I guess that is this.

No idea why such a thing is there. And I like your point, and I can see how the auto log-out could be a drag. o:

Correct.
The session cookie for the forum is set to last for only 24hours after which is deletes itself.
Posted Image

Edited by Kira_Onime, 13 September 2015 - 06:56 AM.

#11 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:06 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 13 September 2015 - 04:42 AM, said:

IIRC Kyle, their Webadmin is a stickler for security.. which is a good thing as look at how many game sites get hacked when CC info can be obtained. Part of the security is the 24 hour login aspect... We had to convince him to at least give us that. If he had had his way, you would be logging on every time you accidentally close the window.

Just needs to refresh every login I think. That could solve most peoples problem.

What's the difference between having a 24 hour login and a 72 hour login? Because this is still bleepin irritating me.

#12 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:03 AM

If you switch from one device to the next your login is also reset. And once you log on, it doesn't show you in the logged-in user list... and you can see only 5 posts... and so on. The forum architecture is mainly ancient ruins...

#13 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:51 PM

I got logged out twice today. Once around 2pm pst and again around 5pm pst. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#14 Communism

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:38 AM

Logs me out every 20-40 minutes. Apparently having more than 1 tab open is no-go for this forum software.

#15 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:24 PM

View PostTarogato, on 13 April 2015 - 06:27 AM, said:

I am going to throw a Wild Guess from the network perspective.

Maybe they are using a server load balancer for the web site traffic. Basically means there is a network devices is used to distribute the load of the incoming web site traffic to multiple web servers.

However, if the load balancing algorithm was done wrongly as in it doesn't track sessions.
Say initial login was to web server 1 and we go do something and come back..
The server load balancer now throws our session to web server 2 and it forces a relogin because it doesn't have a record you logged in previously. (Usually a problem when network admins think equal load distribution is the best method but not considering that authenticated sessions get broken when it is done that way.)

Anyway.... I could be wrong... But most likely have to do with the mwo website not tracking sessions properly.

Edited by ShinVector, 03 January 2016 - 05:27 PM.

#16 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:20 PM

Just lost another lengthy post with about 30 minutes worth of maths involved due to this FRICKIN' LOGOUT TIMER.

Can we at get a fu***n' warning popup or something that our session is timed out? This is just awful.

Posted Image

Edited by Tarogato, 11 March 2016 - 10:21 PM.

#17 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:49 AM

View PostTarogato, on 11 March 2016 - 10:20 PM, said:

Just lost another lengthy post with about 30 minutes worth of maths involved due to this FRICKIN' LOGOUT TIMER.

Can we at get a fu***n' warning popup or something that our session is timed out? This is just awful.

Do you know what's comical? That even that timer does not work correctly, since sometimes I have been logged out after a few minutes. How typical for PGI ...

I don't know why there can't be "Always stay logged in" option.

#18 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:31 PM

View PostKira Onime, on 13 September 2015 - 06:52 AM, said:

Correct.
The session cookie for the forum is set to last for only 24hours after which is deletes itself.
Posted Image

Because security, martian. I've had long - very long, look at the guides in my signature - posts complete with research references get lost. Literally hours of work one or two times - but I'm willing to put up with it for security. A Popup window, however, would be excellent; we should focus on giving that feedback first, and on complaining of our lost time and effort second: it's less cathartic, perhaps, but more likely to elicit the response we want from the web admin.

Edited by Void Angel, 14 March 2016 - 01:32 PM.

#19 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 09:28 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 14 March 2016 - 01:31 PM, said:

Because security, martian.

What security are you talking about?

#20 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:41 AM

Well it's not a very secure method since my browser will just autofill the account and password when I type the first letter of my email.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users