74 replies to this topic

#61 Zuri Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 120 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:04 PM

Been running the 2N with an ERLL w/ 4 SRM4s backed by 4 tons of ammo driven by an XL300. Also did two MPL with 4 SRM4s in an XL300. It's an alright 'mech, I guess. Nothing feels like the old splatcannon that was the 3M, short of a Stormcrow.

#62 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:01 AM

View Postgrendeldog, on 13 May 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

So Metamechs has the 2N as a Tier 1 mech for close in work. Their build has 4 SRM-4s with Artemis and 2 ML... with an XL300 engine.

I got all of 98 damage with this build the first time I took it out. Now, granted, it was on Tourmaline on skirmish mode - not exactly a short ranged map (unless on conquest mode in which case a brawl is virtually guaranteed). But I just don't see how you can run a medium class squishiness-level SRM brawler with an XL engine. When I ran the 2N stock I almost always lost first the arms and then both torsos before dying, and thus managed to keep up my damage output almost to the last second. But with an XL that means a death sentence.

So are they just smoking something powerful over at MetaMechs or is there something I'm missing regarding this build?

The XL is probably a typo, as you can fit that build with an STD300: GRF-2N - adjust armour-to-jumpjet ratio according to preference.

If you go XL, you have room for larger lasers and/or launchers.

#63 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:15 AM

View PosteFTy, on 14 May 2015 - 12:01 AM, said:

The XL is probably a typo, as you can fit that build with an STD300: GRF-2N - adjust armour-to-jumpjet ratio according to preference.

You are missing Artemis in that build.

It's a balance between deadlines and staying power. Artemis will increase very significantly your ability to get stuff dead but unless you are willing play TWO (turret warrior on-line) you will have to sport an XL or remove Lasers.
The XL makes you easier to kill on one side but also more manoeuvrable which in theory makes up a bit for the XL vulnerability, it also helps getting stuff dead.
Then there is another matter, what good are you alive but weaponless? This mech has zero zombi ability and while losing a torso retains some weapons you are not really a terrific sight in the battlefield with 2SRM4, provided you still have ammo on you....

That said I've played that mech mostly without Artemis and with a standard engine, so I'm actually in your boat, but I can see how some people might prefer the glass canon approach.

#64 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:32 AM

Oh, I definitely favour XLs in Griffins and Wolverines. Though, to be precise, a STD isn't used so you can zombie. It's there so you can afford to lose ONE side torso and still fight with the other (and the arm, if possible).

But yeah, all my good Griffin and Wolverine builds use XL engines. Also, if I were going to brawl in a griffin, I'd go much higher than XL300... Something like this: GRF-2N

#65 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:54 PM

View PosteFTy, on 14 May 2015 - 02:32 AM, said:

Oh, I definitely favour XLs in Griffins and Wolverines. Though, to be precise, a STD isn't used so you can zombie. It's there so you can afford to lose ONE side torso and still fight with the other (and the arm, if possible).

But yeah, all my good Griffin and Wolverine builds use XL engines. Also, if I were going to brawl in a griffin, I'd go much higher than XL300... Something like this: GRF-2N

Yeah, this build looks like it would be much more XL-friendly due to the higher speed. I'm definitely going to have to check this out.

Is that enough ammo though? I use four or four and a half tons and still run out sometimes.

#66 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:56 AM

You get 22 volleys. Enough for a PUG game if you're careful. If you prefer the more trigger-happy attitude, drop some jump jets or lower the engine rating. Or drop a laser. Probably best to go for XL340 - 1.5 tons lighter, only 3kph slower.

#67 Zuri Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 120 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:53 PM

View PosteFTy, on 14 May 2015 - 12:01 AM, said:

Adjust the ammo around and you have a fine mech, I'd contend that it's straight better than the XL version because it's durable. Enemies go for my left torso when I'm i n the 2N so a STD 300 is a neat surprise to prevent an easy kill. I've had good luck with this build through a variety of games and most always do my part and even a little extra as well.

#68 jebushunter

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:25 AM

they made it for me .-. it is the carrot to get me buying thing's.. i ducking love it *saw the pssing contest started and was overjoyed, this is pure narsasitic post, i love you, forgive me*

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by jebushunter, 19 May 2015 - 02:28 AM.

#69 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:09 PM

View Postgrendeldog, on 13 May 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

So Metamechs has the 2N as a Tier 1 mech for close in work. Their build has 4 SRM-4s with Artemis and 2 ML... with an XL300 engine.

I got all of 98 damage with this build the first time I took it out. Now, granted, it was on Tourmaline on skirmish mode - not exactly a short ranged map (unless on conquest mode in which case a brawl is virtually guaranteed). But I just don't see how you can run a medium class squishiness-level SRM brawler with an XL engine. When I ran the 2N stock I almost always lost first the arms and then both torsos before dying, and thus managed to keep up my damage output almost to the last second. But with an XL that means a death sentence.

So are they just smoking something powerful over at MetaMechs or is there something I'm missing regarding this build?

Never take a SRM mech without seismic. It also takes a bit of time in group q to get used to going in close and learn the best places for it. The clan versions at least have some range with their cERMLAS

#70 Locutos

• PipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 28 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:44 AM

Does Anyone know why this GRF-2N has different Armor and Structur values for LT and RT ?
its 26/52 for RT and 27/54 for LT
other GRF all have 26/52 for RT and LT (plus Quirks)

#71 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:54 AM

It's likely just a coding error. I remember something similar happened with my Vulcans; they got 1 or 2 extra armour on a torso and it was corrected in the next patch.

Note that if/when they correct the error it'll have an 'invalid loadout' and the extra points of armour will have to be removed before you can play a match with the mech (or you can just build it with correct armour now, but an extra 2 armour covering the ECM doesn't hurt).

#72 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:29 AM

View PostLocutos, on 05 January 2019 - 12:44 AM, said:

Does Anyone know why this GRF-2N has different Armor and Structur values for LT and RT ?
its 26/52 for RT and 27/54 for LT
other GRF all have 26/52 for RT and LT (plus Quirks)

been poorly patched for a very, very long time.

Cant say much more on that TBH.

#73 Locutos

• PipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 28 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:25 AM

So the Qualitycheck is done by people not doing doing proper work.

ok, i should take my 3 points extra as long as its in.

#74 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:58 AM

Probably to protect the ECM, not the worse thing if your using a Light Engine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users