Is A Kit Fox Really That Bad?

67 replies to this topic

#21 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:55 PM

Some may not need ECM but the Fox has a few styles and ECM is required for one if not more.

Some like to do their own thing running around looking for their own individual shots.

I found one of the strongest uses was to put ECM on it and cover vulnerable Mechs until they could engage the enemy.

I also found that, due to how often lately allies will pack rush opponents and get in my way preventing direct fire shots, I carried 1 LRM so I could shoot over allies without incurring FF.

1 KFX-C Right Arm for ECM and a laser, 1 KFX-S Left Arm for LRM and a Laser, 2 KFX-S sido torsos for MGs. Best Fox I ran to date (not the exact build, the armor torso armor may be different front and back but total is right). There are ways to modify it.
- swap KFX-S legs for 2 more tons.
- swap KFX-S torsos for 3 more tons.
- change LRM20 for LRM15 freeing 1.5 tons.
You can do whatever with extra tonnage.

Clan Lights may not have the uber speed of some IS Lights (Firestarter, Jenner, Locust, Spider, Commando) but they still have the speed of other IS Lights (Raven, UrbanMech, Panther). All 3 of the IS Lights with similar speed have mixed roles but usually with 1+ long range weapon, that is very similar to the Clan Lights, they typically have some kind of mixed weapons including long range. So the Clan Lights are like some IS Lights, they do not play like Mediums.

Edited by Wildstreak, 23 April 2015 - 04:55 PM.

#22 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:59 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 23 April 2015 - 04:55 PM, said:

Clan Lights may not have the uber speed of some IS Lights (Firestarter, Jenner, Locust, Spider, Commando) but they still have the speed of other IS Lights (Raven, UrbanMech, Panther).

well, raven can easily move 140 kmh...

#23 Nean

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:00 PM

View PostKyynele, on 23 April 2015 - 04:47 PM, said:

You almost make it sound like you know what you're talking about, and like I'm some newbie who disses KFX just because the big boys told me it's bad!

Sorry, when you get to a level where you have to carry matches to get a win, a build with a sustained DPS of ~2.2 isn't a winning choice, especially in a slowish, fragile chassis that doesn't even have ECM to hide it. Also, putting the exact same build into an Adder would give you a mech with the same speed, same size, and a sustained DPS of 2.8, thanks to more true double heat sinks in the engine, and space for a couple external ones. Why not use the better chassis for the build? Now, if the build had ECM in it, it would be something an Adder couldn't do better.

Yes, it's very much possible to do well in a bad mech. And a good pilot in a bad mech will likely kill the bad player in a good mech. It doesn't make a bad mech good, though.

When pilots of equal skill meet on the battlefield, my money's on the one with the good mech. That's why - if you want to win - you should either put the ECM in the KFX, or pick a different mech. Nothing wrong in playing casually, though. Carry on.

Well sorry.

I've never needed ecm, and it isn't gonna help if you're gonna be in the middle of the field. Everyone shoots at the ecm mech. Everyone.
And by the way, I've been here since open beta.

#24 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:09 PM

View PostNean, on 23 April 2015 - 05:00 PM, said:

Well sorry.

I've never needed ecm, and it isn't gonna help if you're gonna be in the middle of the field. Everyone shoots at the ecm mech. Everyone.

Yeah, I'm sorry, I took you for a completely new player thanks to your low post count. My bad.

Trying to be sneaky in the middle of the field sort of sounds like doing it wrong, though. :D

#25 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:12 PM

View PostNean, on 23 April 2015 - 05:00 PM, said:

Well sorry.

ECM definitely helps the KFX in the same way it helps the Raven.

It prevents the dorito from appearing above your head when you move out of cover to fire on an enemy flank. Just makes you that much harder to track down, which is paramount in the KFX. You can't fight IS lights. Even if you pack streaks, they eat you alive.

#26 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:13 PM

Most people play the Kitfox wrong and then say its bad, its actually decent, about as good as the lower weight IS mediums. Personally I like them a lot with a large AC and some backup lasers.

#27 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:18 PM

it was my first clan mech, loved it.
just bought the C arm for quad MG, 3 ML setup
what a scrapper! ecm/beagle/ams protect your heavies, steal their kills...roll the enemy

#28 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:34 AM

These forums sometimes look like that "Groundhog Day" movie.

Forum's general opinion summary:
1) Yes Kit Fox sucks.
2) Nope it doesn't if you play it like a medium.
3) Nope, it still sucks.

I personally agree with the 3 points :P

#29 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:02 AM

Aside from carrying ECM, the Kit Fox is also the best Clan Light SRM striker. It can carry 4x SRM6, as well as 2x MG (Adder can't) AND it can jump. Mist Lynx can jump, but doesn't have as many tubes, ammo and armour.

Being jump capable, and having a wide array of hard points, the Kit Fox IS the best clan light mech, overall. Jack of All Trades, Master of a Few. The Adder and Mist Lynx just fill a couple of niches.

#30 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:14 AM

With all of the talk on the forum about how ECM is OP, you are doing a great disservice to your team if you don't take ECM on any mech that can carry it. Pair ECM with the triple AMS and it truly can be a god send for your buddies. The downside is that by doing this, you do limit the available weapons, but as has been previously mentioned, you simply cannot play the Kit like a light. You'll get eaten alive. Also, being a lone sniper in any mech is a death sentence when up against any competent light pilot.

As previously stated, stick with your team, and fire at what they fire at. It's not glamorous, and you won't personally get a lot of kills or do a lot of damage, but if you're in a Kit Fox and have ECM and triple AMS you will definitely benefit the team overall.

#31 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:18 AM

View PostBrizna, on 24 April 2015 - 01:34 AM, said:

These forums sometimes look like that "Groundhog Day" movie.

Forum's general opinion summary:
1) Yes Kit Fox sucks.
2) Nope it doesn't if you play it like a medium.
3) Nope, it still sucks.

I personally agree with the 3 points :P

(I dont care really if you like the mech or not, but its interesting when on comms to grind a question out when someone says a mech is OP, or it sucks)

did you grind out three variants? Did you learn how to play it, or just realize after a dozen battles it didn't fit into how YOU play?

I did, it ranks up there in terms of damage per game and win to loss with my best mechs, it floats around #4-5 in the top five.
Play it smart, its great, often ignored. Clearly its no spider, and its no direwhale either, its a GREAT mech if you understand it, play to its strengths and dont chase after superior light pilots or think you can brawl like a medium. Its a support mech-

I like the thing, and I'm OCD chase the squirrel, I've sold off dozens of mechs that didn't produce cbills/kills/xp...mech bay rent aint cheap!!

Edited by That Dawg, 24 April 2015 - 04:19 AM.

#32 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:23 AM

It's a good utility 'Mech for helping out the team, if you like the feeling of being useful. ECM, AMS are always valuable. It's not a good killer or damage dealer though.

Edited by Tahribator, 24 April 2015 - 04:24 AM.

#33 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:38 AM

https://www.mechspec...mage-club.6356/
good forum for builds, concepts, and screens of kits breaking a thousand damage

#34 Josef Koba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 527 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:53 AM

I love the idea of the Kit Fox with 3 AMS and ECM but, as with most lights and mediums, I've never been successful in it. My buddy and I, when we drop together, will often run mechs that compliment each other. I'll take in the Kit Fox with the aforementioned goodies, and support him. But even with the not-so-recent changes to match rewards for supporting roles, I don't feel like there's enough incentive to try to make a living off the Kit Fox. I never feel like I'm doing enough to support the team. Given that I typically rank near the top in damage in kills piloting my heavies and assaults, I tend to just stick with what I'm passably competent at. That said, I've seen Kit Fox pilots do a heckuva lot to support their team, and if I see one with ECM I usually work to eliminate him from the battlefield. Though I can say the same for the Ravens, Hellbringers, D-DCs, etc...

#35 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:04 AM

View PostNean, on 23 April 2015 - 02:50 PM, said:

Everyone that I have seen in game that I have talked to have said that the kit fox is bad, slow, and generally not worth your time. Is this true for a lot of people?

A kit fox is not really a mech that can carry a match.
A kit fox is only bad when the Team is generally is BAD.

#36 McHoshi

• 1,163 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:22 AM

It completly depends on how u play the little fox. maybe it isn´t a good mech to begin with, but it surely isn´t a bad mech...

#37 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:22 AM

Thje problem is, the KFX is a support mech, yet the game has no real niche for support mechs. A bit sad tbh.

#38 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:36 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 24 April 2015 - 05:22 AM, said:

The problem is, the KFX is a support mech, yet the game has no real niche for support mechs. A bit sad tbh.

This ... 3AMS + ECM Kit Fox may be give your team the win, or all those AMSs be worth nothing, but even if they do matter you'll get nothing from them, the assault mechs that charge because you open them the way to do so will rip the kills and rewards for you.

Kit Fox is a good mech for solo queue or no competitive small teams .... but when you go big groups and higher elo, chances of AMS being useful dramatically drop and Kit Fox usefulness plummets with it, then all that remains in a mech is DPS and Kit Fox isn't the best platform out there for that in its tonnage range, "it is known".

#39 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:20 AM

I wouldn't say the Kitfox is "bad" at all. If your expectation is to run the Kitfox like you would a Firestarter? Yeah, you'll be underwhelmed. Just save yourself the trouble and stick with Firestarters or the Arctic Cheetah when it's out. If you don't care about squeezing into "roles" or any of that jibberish and just want to run a fun little mech that can do almost anything? The Kitfox may surprise you. What other light can run LRM30s, 2ERLL/LPL, 4xStreak/SRMs, or UACs effectively? The Adder is the only other one that can - and it can't carry ECM or jets.

Now that said, the opinion from Mt. Tryhard is that the mech sucks. I'll freely admit that if I were putting on my big boy pants to play competitively, I'd take something else/faster myself. I will also say that even the builds the KFX runs well aren't suited to every game type or playstyle. I normally run 3ERMLs/UAC5 on mine. It tears stuff up in solo drops. But if I try to run that same build in CW matches (which devolve into short-range DPS-fests half the time), the mech is pretty hit or miss. That's what makes the mech fun in my opinion. You can build it around what you want to do with it - which is something the other lights in the game really can't. Most only have a handful (if even that) of viable builds that you can run on them. The Kitfox can do just about anything. It just won't do it with blazing, game-warping speed. And as with any mech, limitations like that tend to polarize opinions about it. Its the way this game has always been and always will be...

#40 Nean

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:39 PM

View PostBanky, on 24 April 2015 - 09:20 AM, said:

I wouldn't say the Kitfox is "bad" at all. If your expectation is to run the Kitfox like you would a Firestarter? Yeah, you'll be underwhelmed. Just save yourself the trouble and stick with Firestarters or the Arctic Cheetah when it's out. If you don't care about squeezing into "roles" or any of that jibberish and just want to run a fun little mech that can do almost anything? The Kitfox may surprise you. What other light can run LRM30s, 2ERLL/LPL, 4xStreak/SRMs, or UACs effectively? The Adder is the only other one that can - and it can't carry ECM or jets.

Now that said, the opinion from Mt. Tryhard is that the mech sucks. I'll freely admit that if I were putting on my big boy pants to play competitively, I'd take something else/faster myself. I will also say that even the builds the KFX runs well aren't suited to every game type or playstyle. I normally run 3ERMLs/UAC5 on mine. It tears stuff up in solo drops. But if I try to run that same build in CW matches (which devolve into short-range DPS-fests half the time), the mech is pretty hit or miss. That's what makes the mech fun in my opinion. You can build it around what you want to do with it - which is something the other lights in the game really can't. Most only have a handful (if even that) of viable builds that you can run on them. The Kitfox can do just about anything. It just won't do it with blazing, game-warping speed. And as with any mech, limitations like that tend to polarize opinions about it. Its the way this game has always been and always will be...

He's right about this.
Most lights can't carry the loadouts this mech can. It can be changed into something similar to a IS medium, and be at least twice as fast as some builds I've seen.
And that is why it's a shame that people think it is stupid.

Edited by Nean, 24 April 2015 - 01:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users