Everything you never wanted to know about Joysticks

324 replies to this topic

#81 GreenHell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationGrandmas House

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

I have to stick with my old Logitech Extreme 3D PRO
I recently took it apart and cleaned out a dirty servo, so now it runs better than ever.
(turning to the right was starting to get sluggish.....)

Edit: HOWEVER!!!
If I could get my Steel Battalion VT controller to work with custom drivers, I'd be all in on that.

Edited by GreenHell, 18 December 2011 - 10:36 AM.

#82 Vile Joker

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:41 PM

Ugh... It sucks that I'm going to have to take out a small loan to be able to get everything that I want for this game. The new PC rig and now that nice little Logitech G940 and then the TrackIR rig to go in with it (if it's compatible).

One question about the TrackIR, if you use that system with something like a tri-monitor set-up (eyefinity type stuff), will it still rotate the view on all of the screens to move the panoramic view? Or is the TrackIR best used for a single monitor set-up?

#83 phalanx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationBenjamin District

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:51 PM

One of the first things I am buying this summer is a new joystick.
(Maybe sooner if I get in the Beta).

#84 Silent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:16 PM

View PostVile Joker, on 18 December 2011 - 12:41 PM, said:

One question about the TrackIR, if you use that system with something like a tri-monitor set-up (eyefinity type stuff), will it still rotate the view on all of the screens to move the panoramic view? Or is the TrackIR best used for a single monitor set-up?

Yes, it does that just fine.

#85 REDSLATE

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:42 PM

View Postmacfarlane, on 13 December 2011 - 12:15 AM, said:

I'm currently pondering the Logitech G940 set up with the playseat chair. I'm just curious how well made the gear is. I recall I used to get pretty rough on that stuff back in the day and I'd assume I'd get just as wound up now. lol Any one have any feed back on this set up?

View Postmacfarlane, on 16 December 2011 - 09:47 PM, said:

This time around I really want to to go with some sort of office style computer chair set up that I can add bases to for the throttle on one side and joystick on the other.

I'd noted this chair...

http://www.playseat....-executive.html

I hope its ok to add a link to a post? Anyhow I'm wondering if anyone has any feed back on chairs? With this chair I was thinking I'd still have room for my keyboard and mouse which I could easily reach with the joystick and throttle where they were. Since we do have some months away I wanted to investigate every option. ^_^

I haven't used a flight chair by Playseat, though I do own a Playseat Evolution.

I purchased it primarily because I wanted a sturdy platform to hold a Force-Feedback Wheel as the default plastic "desk mounts" are not secure. I did a lot of research before purchasing this product, and I managed to get a great deal on it. The Playseat Evolution does an excellent job of securing both the wheel and foot pedals to the frame. I can throw the wheel around to achieve tight turns and stomp on the gas or brakes. The frame ensures that the device stays put regardless of the amount of force being applied. The chair is pretty comfortable too. It feels like an authentic race seat (which it is not), but it also provides cushion and support. It is made of a synthetic leather material (which is very nice) and the stitching and artwork are top-notch.

The office chair you are looking at (in the link) has wheels on it. This may not be the best choice if you plan on using foot pedals. You may come to find yourself sliding slightly backwards each time you use the pedals (depending upon their stiffness). Playseat does offer a chair designed specifically for flight simulators, though it doesn't mount the pedals to the frame either. Regardless, it seems much better suited for mounting a joystick and throttle as the "arms" appear to be much sturdier.

Hope this input helps!

Edited by REDSLATE, 18 December 2011 - 10:45 PM.

#86 Vile Joker

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:10 PM

View PostSilent, on 18 December 2011 - 06:16 PM, said:

Yes, it does that just fine.

Oh that is SOOOO going to be how I have my "cockpit" set up. Switch the scene on the monitors to the cockpit of a MAD-5D and we're golden.

Thanks for the video. I must have overlooked that one somehow.

#87 Black Dragon EnDrakus

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:59 AM

i never could get the hang of torso twisting *get's shot dead* but i liked useing the mouse with unlocked reticle to aim in MW3, it was always way more precise, and i could track targets faster that way then i could trying to aim my entire mech at something.

#88 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:01 AM

View Postmacfarlane, on 16 December 2011 - 09:47 PM, said:

Now to figure out which set up to go with, I'll do more reading up since we have time. This time around I really want to to go with some sort of office style computer chair set up that I can add bases to for the throttle on one side and joystick on the other.

I'd noted this chair...

http://www.playseat....-executive.html

I hope its ok to add a link to a post? Anyhow I'm wondering if anyone has any feed back on chairs? With this chair I was thinking I'd still have room for my keyboard and mouse which I could easily reach with the joystick and throttle where they were. Since we do have some months away I wanted to investigate every option. ^_^

Well, you have to evaluate what best fits your needs/wants.

- Do you intend to use rudder pedals? (Swiveling office chairs on wheels do not work so well for rudder pedal use).
- Do you want the chair to swivel?
- Do you want the chair to roll around?
- Do you want the seat to recline?

If you intend to go with a twisting stick (ala Saitek X52 / X52Pro) and not use rudder pedals, here is something you might look into:

http://www.getyourmo...-gaming-chairs/
http://www.getyourmobo.com/
http://www.getyourmobo.com/photos/

They aren't selling a chair, but rather a way to adapt a typical offic chair. The first time I ever saw their stuff mentioned was over on SimHQ. Back then, I don't think they had the removable keyboard tray... just the arm rests. The interesting thing (that doesn't appear to be well featured on their site these days) was that the arm rests fold. The mouse pad platform, and it's counterpart on the other arm, folds back over the arm rest for a more compact arrangement (if desired) when you are not using it. It would probably be easy enough to adapt that setup to hold a Saitek X52 (and perhaps even a smaller footprint keyboard between the Throttle and Stick). You might even be able to fit a keyboard that has a touchpad, or trackball mouse, to round out your controller needs.

Playseats are nice, but you may have noticed that they are not cheap. As someone else pointed out, if you do intend to use rudder pedals, they do make a version that does not swivel or roll. But then, if you are going to use rudder pedals, you might want to look into picking up a car seat and adapting it. ( You will be well on your way to making a full blown 'pit !!! )

#89 Canned_Dman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:49 AM

I need to dust off my Thrustmaster Top Gun and see if it still works!
Reality is they I will probably pop the big bucks for one of the new systems once I get started playing so I really will want to hear what people have to say about using rudders and something like that Cougar pack. That looks pretty bad azz!

#90 Iron Horse

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationIjima, Xinyang; Benjamin Military District, DC (IRL: Inglewood, CA)

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:32 AM

I'm leaning towards the Saitek X45 at the moment, due to its relatively low-cost (for a matched joystick and throttle control), plus enough extra buttons and hats to set up practically whatever I might need.

Posted Image
But this granddaddy sure would be sweet too:
Posted Image
I've heard some complaints about the x45 based on durability and button-placement, but am wondering if all of the bells and whistles of the x52 might be a little bit of overkill for MWO. I've also used the MS Sidewinder, and found it to be adequate, but no major improvement (mostly just way too hard to use the tiny throttle on the base), so I'm looking to get a separate throttle control.
Posted Image
I normally play on gamepad with a few keyboard commands, and find that I can do just about all the running and gunning I need just fine with that setup, although it does get annoying having to keep a giant keyboard next to me while I play. I was hoping someone with a little more practical experience in 'mech games might be able to give me a bit more perspective before I make my purchase.

I apologize if this has already been covered in a previous thread, but I couldn't seem to find any previous posts specifically about joysticks. Thanks in advance, and good hunting!

#91 Scientiam

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:15 AM

The saitek combat joysticks with programmable buttons are more than adequate back in the day the thrustmater or logictec joysticks were very common and flight rudder pedal inputs were uses for torso twist. Both saitek and logictec now have a great line of wirless standalone or combination combat fight sims inputs. They can get real pricey though. But at the end of the day it is all about the feel of the system. I knew guys who liked a very simple joystick and would rather use keyboard for the commands. Others likes 2 mulitibuttoned joysticks with rudder pedals.

#92 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:30 AM

View PostIron Horse, on 28 December 2011 - 01:32 AM, said:

I'm leaning towards the Saitek X45 at the moment, due to its relatively low-cost (for a matched joystick and throttle control), plus enough extra buttons and hats to set up practically whatever I might need.

Posted Image
But this granddaddy sure would be sweet too:
Posted Image
I've heard some complaints about the x45 based on durability and button-placement, but am wondering if all of the bells and whistles of the x52 might be a little bit of overkill for MWO. I've also used the MS Sidewinder, and found it to be adequate, but no major improvement (mostly just way too hard to use the tiny throttle on the base), so I'm looking to get a separate throttle control.
Posted Image
I normally play on gamepad with a few keyboard commands, and find that I can do just about all the running and gunning I need just fine with that setup, although it does get annoying having to keep a giant keyboard next to me while I play. I was hoping someone with a little more practical experience in 'mech games might be able to give me a bit more perspective before I make my purchase.

I apologize if this has already been covered in a previous thread, but I couldn't seem to find any previous posts specifically about joysticks. Thanks in advance, and good hunting!

My dear old dad had the X45 and it is great.

I have the X52 and it is better.

Is MWO going to require the functional difference between them? No, probably not; but that's hard to say until we get the game, obviously.

But I will say this; the sprung FIRE cover on the top button on the X52 is far cooler than the non-sprung 'just lift it up' cover on the '45.

Also the X52 has more lights. and they can change colour.
Sweet.

#93 Pilot Revant

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:46 AM

X52, cause this beast has a excellent feature.

Its damn comfortable to hold.

#94 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:56 AM

View PostPilot_Revant, on 28 December 2011 - 02:46 AM, said:

X52, cause this beast has a excellent feature.

Its damn comfortable to hold.

This is also true.

#95 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:36 AM

Anyone know if MWO will be easily played with keyboard and mouse?

#96 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:01 AM

Probably just as easy as a joystick Vix (:) do you Like all your own posts?). What you may see is that it somewhat easier to aim with the mouse, but somewhat easier to control/pilot with a joystick. Who knows at this point though. PGI will make either one viable, don't worry.

And for those looking for joysticks, don't forget that PGI will be announcing a partnership of some sort with a peripheral manufacturer, they said that in the last Q&A. May or may not be with it to hold off. :)

Edited by Dihm, 28 December 2011 - 07:01 AM.

#97 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:36 AM

View PostDihm, on 28 December 2011 - 07:01 AM, said:

( :) do you Like all your own posts?).

Most of them yeah :) seems silly that you get to vote on your own posts, but as long as I can...

#98 Tannhauser Gate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:19 AM

Id definitely hold off on buying input devices until we know more. Im sure it will be playable with kb and mouse, and all the typical sticks and pads. Its the special hardware that Im interested in seeing for this game. I already have 3 sticks, might go for a hotas, but Im not buying anything new until I see what PGI has planned for special peripherals.

#99 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:45 AM

Logitech extreme 3d pro there not bad priced and they function well and last a long time with rough game play.Plus you can use them on PC or mac.

http://www.google.co...44245607265283#

#100 Shadowstarr

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 57 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:09 AM

depending on your os you may have less then great result form the saitek programming software on win 7. I got the x 45 and it works and all but i can't get the mapping to work right. (seems to read different buttons then i am attempting to map to the stick..) but yeah it works pretty good.

I've been looking for awhile as well may just pick up a 3d pro just to have. Really hoping MW:O manages to convince/ partner with someone to offer a superior option.

Really i don't much like it (x45) cause i got so damn spoiled by my 1st generation sidewinder forcefeedback pro. You know the one with the jet engine like roaring *** exahust fan on the base. But damn is still a solid stick all these years later, damn shame I can use it on anything newer then win XP (no gameport support anymore). Tried an adapter to convert to usb and it kinda worked, but without the forcefeed back software its... well, it a rather limp stick.. <bows head in shame>

-SS

Edited by Shadowstarr, 28 December 2011 - 09:11 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users