Lasers! Lasers Everywhere!

84 replies to this topic

#1 Wild Kadabra

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:26 PM

It was bad enough, very very bad when clan had laser vomit meta, now IS seems to have laser vomit meta too with only TDRs and Stalkers with large lasers in CW, why not simply remove all other mechs that are not SCRs, TBRs, HBRs, Stalkers and Thunderbolts!!! Also remove all laser heat may as well! Lets turn this into a full light show rave party!

#2 Molossian Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:28 PM

This is a well thought out post and will not under any circumstances attract all kinds of shitposting.

It was bad enough, very very bad when clan had laser vomit meta, now IS seems to have laser vomit meta too...

How dare they?

They must be dastardly!

Edited by Molossian Dog, 28 April 2015 - 03:28 PM.

#3 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:28 PM

Not having played a CW match in several weeks, I cannot vouch for these being the ONLY 'Mechs and weapons in use within CW.

But I am sure that your experience most certainly dictates the entirety of CW. :rolleyes:

#4 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:31 PM

cw needs some very serious rework

ballistic needs buff, stalkers need a nerf on laser quirks

imo

#5 Tincan Nightmare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:41 PM

Well I can relate with the OP, recently had a match during the Tukayid event where I got stuck being 1 of about 3 or 4 pugs stuck in the middile of 2 premades. The match was on Hellbore Springs during a counter attack, where the clan players camped out their drop zone and both teams hid behind rocks poking with lasers. My team was almost entirely T-bolts and Stalkers while the clans were Hellbringers, Scrows, and Timbers. This went on for 16 minutes with the score at that point still being 0 to 0! Totally bored, I tried to rush an enemy mech that had moved off to the side by itself, but got focused down and killed. Got tons of crap sent my way after that, mockery from the enemy team and insults from my team about losing the match, and honestly I could care less. The match was the most boring I had ever experienced in MWO, and if this is the top level of play in MWO its no wonder no one touches CW unless there is an event running.

#6 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:10 PM

Here's my solution:
  • PGI should keep making tiny adjustments every two months or so. After almost 3 years of balancing the game, we're almost there.
  • We need a new mechanic to adjust quirks and prevent boating. Ghost heat is no longer enough. We'll call it GHOST QUIRKS.
  • I've looked at the pulse lasers in my Excel sheet and the numbers don't increase in a linear progression. We need to normalize pulse lasers again.
  • Nerf MGs. Don't know why, but I feel like they've got something to do with this.
  • We need to deal with the most problematic laser boats in the game. I'm talking, of course, about the Nova. From my calculations, it's overpowered and must be nerfed again.
  • PGI has to release some new mechs that can compete with the current laser boats. Maybe the next mech pack can have a 100 ton assault mech with 8 shoulder mounted ballistic hardpoints and ECM.
  • We should sell some Laser Shield modules for 6 million c-bills a pop.
  • We have to buff ballistics on certain mechs to make them a viable choice. Give the Summoner D-variant's legs +1% MG range each. (Remember, it stacks for a total of 12% if combined with side torsos)

#7 The Flying Gecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 372 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:13 PM

No he's right.

You bring Stalkers, Thunderbolts and Ravens - You win.

The other I.S. mechs don't even come close.

#8 Kodiak Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 935 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:32 PM

I have to agree with my sibkin current meta is nothing but a crutch, and we need a wider range of viable chassis and weapons to help level it off.

I had a similar experience earlier Tincan Nightmare, on grim portico where a 12 man crutch team came in with all TDR STKs and sat spawn camping us, was sad and pathetic really considering my team was literally 100% pugs and most of them where using the trial mechs :\

anyway bottom line is, clan or i.S the current meta is nothing but a crutch for anyone playing CW or normal queues unit or no unit, and I am sick and tired of seeing meta in most aspects of this game. clans needs some AC balance passes and I.S need quirk balance passes. :\

#9 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:41 PM

View PostMolossian Dog, on 28 April 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

They must be dastardly!

Posted Image

#10 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:57 PM

So... You want the only 'Sphere mechs that have even the most infitessimal chance of competing with the MadCat and StormCrow nerfed?

Even with the preported god like untouchable firepower most clanners seem to think the 'sphere suddenly has, the better mechs still lie in the clan touman. The 'Sphere is completely one dimensional in what it brings to the table. It is most competitive with medium to long range direct laser fire - and that's it. IS forces aren't mobile. They reward careful defensive play. The clans reward aggressiveness.

In my experience, a decent aggressive push from a flock of MadCats will shatter a nest of Stalkers - yet most Clan groups I see insist on trying to out-trade instead, which is insanity. Few mechs outside a DireWolf out trade a Stalker, yet all mechs out maneuver them.

Soon, the clans may very well have viable lighter mechs, and we might start seeing some diversity in Clan drop decks. Keep that in mind also when thinking of future balance.

This is all IMHO, of course. I only have my own unit's experience to speak of.

#11 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:00 PM

it's not even about stalker itself, 6 lasers, ok
but when the game rewards taking 12 stalkers with 6 lasers each... there is something wrong with that mode

#12 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:03 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 28 April 2015 - 05:00 PM, said:

it's not even about stalker itself, 6 lasers, ok
but when the game rewards taking 12 stalkers with 6 lasers each... there is something wrong with that mode

It could be worse-- what about the King Crab Crew on B33f's videos? :P

#13 Serpieri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:14 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 28 April 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

cw needs some very serious rework

ballistic needs buff, stalkers need a nerf on laser quirks

imo

CW isn't the only thing that needs serious rework.

#14 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:18 PM

stalkers need a nerf on laser quirks

stalker/thunderbolt need quirk nerfs. but also clan lasers need range nerfs too.

this long-range laser lightshow crap has to go. the ranges on these weapons needs to be reduced.

Ideally we should have a balanced mix of long-range and brawling... and right now we dont have that.

Edited by Khobai, 28 April 2015 - 05:21 PM.

#15 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:18 PM

it's the worst game mode imo

skirmish and conquest both are pretty versatile, cw (and it's light version - assault) is way too straightforward and prone to ridiculous meta like assault rushes, 20+ minute laser duels at 1 km range etc

#16 Wild Kadabra

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:57 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 28 April 2015 - 04:57 PM, said:

So... You want the only 'Sphere mechs that have even the most infitessimal chance of competing with the MadCat and StormCrow nerfed?

Even with the preported god like untouchable firepower most clanners seem to think the 'sphere suddenly has, the better mechs still lie in the clan touman. The 'Sphere is completely one dimensional in what it brings to the table. It is most competitive with medium to long range direct laser fire - and that's it. IS forces aren't mobile. They reward careful defensive play. The clans reward aggressiveness.

In my experience, a decent aggressive push from a flock of MadCats will shatter a nest of Stalkers - yet most Clan groups I see insist on trying to out-trade instead, which is insanity. Few mechs outside a DireWolf out trade a Stalker, yet all mechs out maneuver them.

Soon, the clans may very well have viable lighter mechs, and we might start seeing some diversity in Clan drop decks. Keep that in mind also when thinking of future balance.

This is all IMHO, of course. I only have my own unit's experience to speak of.

You are missing the point, it is not about nerfing the viability of IS meta, its not Q.Qing about IS having good mechs that can compete with Clan mechs, its that the laser meta overall, both for IS and Clan is wrong and does not make for a very good game. With a few exceptions in lore most mechs, even assaults dont usually carry more than 2 or 3 large lasers, and those who do must fire them sparringly.

Now i realize MWO is not exactly lore friendly, but regardless, mechs boating lasers do not make for a very interesting game, the point is lasers should be nerfed, maybe have their heat overall increased, and make other weapons more viable mainly ACs, to make for a far more intersting game with some diversity

Ideally we could get a game where you need balanced teams with your backline snipers and LRM support, and front line brawlers to win and not just IMAFIREMAHLAXXOR rushes.

Edited by Wild Kadabra, 28 April 2015 - 05:58 PM.

#17 BearFlag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 374 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:11 PM

I've already devised a counter to all these lasers. Take an Urbie, strip off his armor and replace it with disco ball mirrors. Oooooooo, pretty....

#18 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:13 PM

What would you rather be getting shot by ? :)

#19 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:17 PM

The view from my cockpit--

Posted Image

Edited by RoboPatton, 28 April 2015 - 06:18 PM.

#20 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:19 PM

This is what happens when you ask for PPCs and ACs to get nerfed.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users