Machine Gun Users,post Here.

61 replies to this topic

#41 GLaDOSauR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 142 posts
  • LocationEating your cake while you're not looking.

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:50 AM

The other day I was running the trial spider with the 4 machineguns. It was 0/11 on mining collective; me the last one alive. I turn the corner into a group of enemies! Targeting the nearest hellbringer i decide to go down with honor. I stand still, spraying him with machine guns, and he stands still blasting me with...whatever it was he had. Then...he keels over dead. I, amazed at still being alive, rush a nearby locust and pin him against a wall. Unable to escape he to falls to my onslaught! Giddy with success I begin circling a direwolf. Until I get stuck on a nearby barrel. With one of my arms gone at this point I begin a mad dash towards a dragon. Which legged and killed me.

What would I have been able to accomplish in a Piranha? http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Piranha

#42 Octopot

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:21 PM

dakka dakka dakka..miss that sound, haven't played in over a year+, o gawd I kno this is gonna suck when you havent played even for a few days off...ugh

#43 htsmithium

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:03 PM

love my kitfox c with 3 mpls and 4 mgs,

#44 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:01 PM

Just a question for MG enthusiasts, how many do you have to bring to make its impact felt during a match?
Like, if I'm bringing 2 that's not really going to make a splash, right?

#45 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:28 PM

One is completely pointless.

Two can have some effect, when combined with certain other weapon systems. LBX/10 + 2xMG + 3xSRM-6 on the CN9-AH, for example, is a moderately powerful build in the second half of a match.

Three is where you begin to see some real effect, but it still only does this with certain other weapons. That is to say, it remains more of an auxiliary support to your main weapons than it becomes a primary element. Triple MG combines well with pulse laser builds, as both lasers and machine guns are hitscan weapons, in spite of the MG tracer animation. I Mastered the DRG-5N using a 3xMG + 2xLPL build, and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Four seems to be where the MG passes the watershed into true viability. Can be considered a primary weapon system, but still needs at least one other weapon to support it. This is the only reason the SDR-5K has always been a successful Mech. Try the BNC-3E with four machine guns, a couple of LPLs, some MLs, and a huge XL engine. Play smart and you will wreck, guaranteed.

Six machine guns are just deadly. The BJ-A (stock build) is absolutely one of the easiest 'Mechs in which to get good scores. Any 'Mech that has six ballistic hardpoints won't have a ton of other hardpoitns, so at this point you're using so many of your 'Mech's hardpoints that any other weapons you add on become a backup for the MGs, and rightfully so.

TL;DR
In MWO, you need either three or four MGs for them start becoming a true threat to your targets.

Edited by Bloodweaver, 10 June 2015 - 02:29 PM.

#46 Tylerchu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 253 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:14 PM

View PostHusker Dude, on 10 June 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

Just a question for MG enthusiasts, how many do you have to bring to make its impact felt during a match?
Like, if I'm bringing 2 that's not really going to make a splash, right?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b212713ca4d5fdd
Add whatever engine floats your boat. Then add MG ammo.
Early and early-mid game, you're really just skimming armor with the LPLas. Nothing too fun. Mid-game is when you really shine. I got somewhere around 30 component destructions one game by focusing on unarmored spots. It absolutely shreds internals; if it has less than 15 armor it isn't safe.
-
In response to your question, cram as many as you can if you have a comfortable amount of armor-stripping weapons.

#47 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:44 AM

Cool, thanks guys.

A long while back I'd outfitted my Dragon 1N with 2 MGs, 2 SSRM and 2 ERLL, with a maxed out XL engine.
It was okay, I pretty much held back and sniped with the lasers but still had the speed to engage damaged mechs who were already being attacked by other teammates. The MG/SSRM combo was pretty good against faster/weaker mechs, but this was still a role-playing build and not something that could necessarily hit the front lines.
When quirks came along I revised to take advantage of the AC5 benefits (for however much longer those last), but kind of wanted to run another MG mech.
I do actually have a 5N, and dislike the UAC (even with the jam chance quirk, it happens far too often for my comfort), I may try again with LPLs instead of ERLL with this.

I know the JM would be a much better vessel for this plan, but I still haven't bought/trained that chassis.

#48 Tylerchu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 253 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:37 PM

View PostHusker Dude, on 12 June 2015 - 09:44 AM, said:

Cool, thanks guys.

A long while back I'd outfitted my Dragon 1N with 2 MGs, 2 SSRM and 2 ERLL, with a maxed out XL engine.
It was okay, I pretty much held back and sniped with the lasers but still had the speed to engage damaged mechs who were already being attacked by other teammates. The MG/SSRM combo was pretty good against faster/weaker mechs, but this was still a role-playing build and not something that could necessarily hit the front lines.
When quirks came along I revised to take advantage of the AC5 benefits (for however much longer those last), but kind of wanted to run another MG mech.
I do actually have a 5N, and dislike the UAC (even with the jam chance quirk, it happens far too often for my comfort), I may try again with LPLs instead of ERLL with this.

I know the JM would be a much better vessel for this plan, but I still haven't bought/trained that chassis.

You wanna go to smurfy and post a build for us to look at? Makes it easier to imagine what you're talking about.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab

#49 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 11:33 AM

This is the build (or close to it) I used to have:

DRG-1N

Armor and ammo disbursement might have been slightly different.
It was decent for a vulture, but not viable on its own, I think.

#50 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:29 AM

Has anyone tried this lovely, demented KGC-000 build?

EDIT: remember to adjust armor values. I just clicked the "Max Armor" button, and shaved two points off the head, and legs.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 05 July 2015 - 09:30 AM.

#51 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:46 AM

Anyone try the triple machine gun build in the Centurion AH?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a215b2b2a46760a

It looks like fun, I've been thinking of putting it together.

#52 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:05 AM

View PostDanth Reduviid, on 05 July 2015 - 10:46 AM, said:

Yep :) It's actually my favorite -AH build. I perform better with AC/20 + 3xSRM-2, but the 3xMG + 3xSRM-6 is just amazingly fun. Just remember to frontload your armor since you won't be twisting much due to the MGs requiring face-time. It's a vulture supreme, end of match kill-securer extraordinaire. Play it with a bit of patience and you can wreck faces like nobody's business.

Edited by Bloodweaver, 05 July 2015 - 11:07 AM.

#53 RedDevil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 702 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:50 AM

View PostRepasy, on 17 May 2015 - 12:59 PM, said:

All I'll say is this: Don't remove the machine guns from your Timber Wolves. They'll be a whole lot more dependable after Tuesday update! ;)

What's going on with MG's in Tuesday's update?

#54 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:35 PM

View PostDanth Reduviid, on 05 July 2015 - 10:46 AM, said:

Holy crap, I tried a similar loadout tonight due to this, it's definitely a lot of fun.

#55 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:33 AM

View Postreddevil, on 05 July 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

What's going on with MG's in Tuesday's update?

Check the timestamp man, lol. Anyways, if I remember correctly, that was when they rolled out the laser nerfs to the TBR and SCR. They've rolled back slightly on those nerfs recently.

#56 Speedy Plysitkos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:23 AM

R63 3x mg, ML+LL+MPL.

this combo is most deadly on my urbie.

#57 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:41 PM

View PostTitannium, on 13 July 2015 - 01:23 AM, said:

R63 3x mg, ML+LL+MPL.

this combo is most deadly on my urbie.

I like the quad-MG R60. Poke a bit with the LL for the initial stand-off phase, then go to town with lasers and quad MGs once brawling starts.

My personal best is 5 kills, 3 assists, in a 467-damage match (that we lost... 5 kills in an Urbie and we lost... Gotta love PUGging).

Edited by stjobe, 16 July 2015 - 01:43 PM.

#58 Lsq78

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:53 PM

Get ready for the 7MG 1 LPL scat. It's definitely coming.

#59 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:04 PM

View Poststjobe, on 16 July 2015 - 01:41 PM, said:

I like the quad-MG R60.

I prefer 2xLL+4xMG+XL180 or 2xMPL+4xMG+STD180 for some brawling action.

#60 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:09 PM

View PostKmieciu, on 16 July 2015 - 11:04 PM, said:

I prefer 2xLL+4xMG+XL180

Do you run without armour or without ammo?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users