Ecm Overkill

133 replies to this topic

#1 Weeny Machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:20 AM

I have had matches now where most of the time my radar didn't show anything or only now and then when a blip appears when an ecm mech gets too close to a BAP.

Light scout mechs (which don't have ECM) get attacked before they see the enemy which also defies the role of a scout mech.

Also a whole weapon system is basically brought down (I add that despite I dislike how LRMs are implemented in this game but anyway).

Anyway the amount of ECM is getting ridiciulous - and the next wave of ECM mechs isn't even released yet.

The bubble should shield a small aread and not nearly a whole team clustering loosely around an ECM mech...not that this is necessary anymore considering the amount of ECM mechs fielded.

#2 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:25 AM

I didn't mind it when it was one or two ECM mechs per match, but I agree that now it's a bit much. Refining the ECM behavior is now worthwhile when it's 6+ per side. Might as well make guardian only work for the mech it's on - that would be a start.

#3 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:28 AM

This is such a known quantified problem that dates back to day one of ECM release.... what happens when all the mechs have ECM. ECM as it exists is here to stay. its been basically unchanged for years. The only changes have been to other systems to help balance things out.

#4 Nori Silverrage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 332 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:36 AM

While I don't disagree that there could be some changes to ECM...

I laugh heartily because you are likely seeing the result of Timber/Crow nerfs. Namely more Hellbringers.

On a serious note. It would be nice if certain lights could equip a single target ECM, meaning they wouldn't show up, but it doesn't cover teammates. That way you could have designated scout mechs.

#5 Mirkk Defwode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 748 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:38 AM

View PostTombstoner, on 21 May 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

This is such a known quantified problem that dates back to day one of ECM release.... what happens when all the mechs have ECM. ECM as it exists is here to stay. its been basically unchanged for years. The only changes have been to other systems to help balance things out.

Sadly those other changes haven't balanced anything - right now the implementation of ECM negates all Missile weapons that have any reliance on a lock-on mechanic. Even with BAP if you have two ECM bubbles overlapping on your target you become unable to lock of LRMs or SSRMs.

#6 Templar Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:40 AM

The newer maps haven't been very friendly to LRMs as well. 100 story cover every few yards....

#7 Romeo Deluxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 449 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:46 AM

ECM helps survival against LRM's but it does not stop LRM's from being used. If it stops you, then it's a L2P issue for you.

#8 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:46 AM

As far as LRMs go.... They are fine if you build your mech right... My Founder's Carapult pulls a minimum of 700 damage per match, unless I get extremely unlucky. BAP, and TAG are a must for all lock-on missile-equipped mechs.

ECM is fine... I actually miss the olden days when ECM created a tiny universe of pain. Removing the triangles from the HUD, and Radar of the afflicted enemy team :P When a Raven could devour a lance, because cries for help were promptly followed by, 'where are you?'

Lol, but, that was a bit much... Fun, but a bit much.

#9 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:47 AM

ECM shouldn't shield anybody except the mech equipped with it, and additionally it should only slow missile locks down rather than preventing them.

#10 SolutionCat

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:55 AM

View PostRomeo Deluxe, on 21 May 2015 - 08:46 AM, said:

ECM helps survival against LRM's but it does not stop LRM's from being used. If it stops you, then it's a L2P issue for you.

This is pretty accurate, LRMs can be dumfired at a target. They will arch up and drop on the location/distance you shot them, enemy mech is 500 meters the lrms will land in that spot. I surprised the hell out of some people with that one last night during cw.

#11 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:01 AM

If ECM only covers the unit it mounts, then everyone will drive ECM 'Mechs exclusivity, and Teh Devs will be oblivious to it for about 4 months …

I could say something fancy about cycle-time penalty(s) for all weapons on a ECM 'Mech, but why: 15 Heat for ECM, period.

#12 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:06 AM

Remove indirect fire from LRMs except when assisted by TAG or NARC.

Fix ECM so that it only works as described in the TT rules. In MWO terms, it would only counter Artemis and Narc, and that's it. LRMs would otherwise be unaffected by ECM.

Problem solved.

#13 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:08 AM

View PostRoadkill, on 21 May 2015 - 09:06 AM, said:

Remove indirect fire from LRMs except when assisted by TAG or NARC.

Fix ECM so that it only works as described in the TT rules. In MWO terms, it would only counter Artemis and Narc, and that's it. LRMs would otherwise be unaffected by ECM.

Problem solved.

Game, set, match.

Would give scouts a purpose again.

#14 ChapeL

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:12 AM

I made a suggestion about this percieved problem

http://mwomercs.com/...w-narc-feature/

Tell me what you think

#15 Mosadoff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 103 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:15 AM

People leveling Hellbringers because of TBR nerf, also new ecm phract just being released.

I guess this is now a part of meta.

#16 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:35 AM

I have but two points to make.

Firstly, identifying and killing the enemy ECM carriers should be top priority.

Secondly, scouts should not be nonchalantly prancing like Little Red Riding Hood in the forest:

View PostBush Hopper, on 21 May 2015 - 08:20 AM, said:

Light scout mechs (which don't have ECM) get attacked before they see the enemy which also defies the role of a scout mech.

#17 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:38 AM

View PostDino Might, on 21 May 2015 - 08:25 AM, said:

I didn't mind it when it was one or two ECM mechs per match, but I agree that now it's a bit much. Refining the ECM behavior is now worthwhile when it's 6+ per side. Might as well make guardian only work for the mech it's on - that would be a start.

Or
ECM effect is for carrying mech.
Mechs within 80m of ECM mech are invisible like they are now
Mechs 81m to 180m lock on times for LRMs/Streaks is lengthened by 25%.

#18 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:47 AM

You can thank PGI and their latest round of quirks for this one...Not that it killed my TBR but its not fun anymore. No where near as fun as my HBR or WHK's.

My new CW decks are HBR, HBR, HBR, KTF.

Have fun finding me!

Long burn lasers = no fun. No fun = death for a game.

#19 Romeo Deluxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 449 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:57 AM

View PostMystere, on 21 May 2015 - 09:35 AM, said:

I have but two points to make.

Firstly, identifying and killing the enemy ECM carriers should be top priority.

Secondly, scouts should not be nonchalantly prancing like Little Red Riding Hood Rambo in the forest:

fixed :)

#20 Artifact

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:57 AM

I posted a satire thread about nerfing HBRs yesterday. It was only mostly satire. It is also intended as a prediction.

You will see serious 'NERF HBR!!!!' posts cropping up in 2-4 weeks. the release of the new clan mechs will stop it for a while, but when people realize that HBRs can laser vomit just as well as TBRs /and/ they have better mounts /and/ they have ECM, the nerf cries will come.

It's like predicting the sun will rise.

Oh, and then you'll see more threads that boil down to 'TBRs are still OP, ALONG WITH HBRS!!!' Then PGI will nerf the torso twist speed and range (like they should have to begin with) of the Twolf and Stormcrow while not undoing the other nerfs.

It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic and sad. PLEASE, someone buy the IP so that we can have a real Battletech game?

Edited by Artifact, 21 May 2015 - 10:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users