#21 Atomic Weapon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:06 AM

View PostSir Wulfrick, on 27 May 2015 - 04:12 PM, said:

In addition to the above:

4. Horribly low slung weapon hard points on the arms.

5. A low mounted gun rack.

6. Low mounted centre torso energy hard point (on the D variant)

7. Horrible hill climbing characteristics.

8. A very small number of hard points for the tonnage.

I took my Atlas D for a spin during the founders event. Getting 5-700 damage was perfectly possible but compared to more recent assault mechs it was very much hard mode. I was shocked at how far the power creep has come since the venerable old Atlas made it début.

Those claiming the Atlas doesn't need any buffs - go play something like the Banshee pulse laser build, the Stalker 4N or the Direwolf 3 x UAC5 + 2 x UAC-10 builds. You'll feel sorry, literally sorry, for any Atlas pilot you face, no matter how good they are at torso twisting. The Atlas has been left badly behind in terms of effectiveness and hence needs a buff.

I totally agree and I do think that we need to speak out. The Orion mech is basically a little version of the Atlas.

If you played this game for a long time you realize the Atlas Mech is not a true warrior on the battlefield, no one fears this mech anymore. It doesn't hold up on damage, this makes it have to be designed just for a missile boat.

Designers please consider a buffing the armor on the Atlas, or given it highpoint weapons. Design a new Atlas come up with a different story line, or perhaps something that would help. Hopefully the community can be heard.

#22 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:13 AM

Long time Atlas User. It needs no Buffs. Just willingness on the pilot's part to get in the thick of it and show no mercy.

#23 Atomic Weapon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:17 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 28 May 2015 - 10:13 AM, said:

Long time Atlas User. It needs no Buffs. Just willingness on the pilot's part to get in the thick of it and show no mercy.

I have $20 my dire wolf vs your atlas.

#24 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:19 AM

View PostAtomic Weapon, on 28 May 2015 - 10:17 AM, said:

I have $20 my dire wolf vs your atlas.

Thats nice. If you win its cause you're a better pilot not a better Mech.

#25 Atomic Weapon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:22 AM

Come on just look at what I can do in a direwolf, no way I can pull this off with an atlas..

https://youtu.be/_2laaLHjOB0?t=26

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 28 May 2015 - 10:19 AM, said:

Thats nice. If you win its cause you're a better pilot not a better Mech.

I won't make this about me, we will just listen to the community.

#26 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:25 AM

View PostAtomic Weapon, on 28 May 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

You've won me over. I am willing to let the community decide to make my Atlas better.

#27 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:25 AM

View PostAtomic Weapon, on 28 May 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

Come on just look at what I can do in a direwolf, no way I can pull this off with an atlas..

https://youtu.be/_2laaLHjOB0?t=26

Sorry what did you do? I mean besides edit together several sweet looking clips.

View PostBilbo, on 28 May 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

You've won me over. I am willing to let the community decide to make my Atlas better.

I'm not. My Atlas is just the way I like it.

#28 Kh0rn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:29 AM

It is also due too how the Atlas is modeled its side torsos where made larger then by cannon and its arms are reduced too being smaller. Allowing for weapons too hit the torsos with much easier effect. they need too revert the change look at the MW3 video its arms are larger but its side torsos are slimmer.

Edited by Kh0rn, 28 May 2015 - 10:31 AM.

#29 Atomic Weapon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:36 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 28 May 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

Sorry what did you do? I mean besides edit together several sweet looking clips.

I'm not. My Atlas is just the way I like it.

I time frame the youtube video clip at the point I was in my direwolf, so you can see how much firepower the direwolf can put out versus the Atlas, ignore the rest of the clips. It's very hard for an atlas to go against the dire wolf straight on when the direwolf has more firepower and the atlases armor is not well built. Again, yes I will say the Atlas does need a buff to the armor or more firepower to be a fierce warrior on the battlefield.

#30 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:37 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image
I don't know about you, but our Atlas is much more Burly than TT, and I like it.

Posted Image
But this also looks nice and burly.

#31 Atomic Weapon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:44 AM

View PostBilbo, on 28 May 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

Sometimes the emotions can take the best of us, but the majority votes will actually outweigh the few. Hopefully we can really see if there's a need to make changes and therefore perhaps could be heard so future changes to the Atlas could be done if necessary.

#32 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:48 AM

View PostAtomic Weapon, on 28 May 2015 - 10:36 AM, said:

I time frame the youtube video clip at the point I was in my direwolf, so you can see how much firepower the direwolf can put out versus the Atlas, ignore the rest of the clips. It's very hard for an atlas to go against the dire wolf straight on when the direwolf has more firepower and the atlases armor is not well built. Again, yes I will say the Atlas does need a buff to the armor or more firepower to be a fierce warrior on the battlefield.

Well there's you mistake. Its supposed to be hard for an Atlas to go toe to toe with a Dire. I have no interest in giving my mech perks to level the playing field. I took weeks learning how to overcome the limits I have to beat Dire Wolfs.

#33 Atomic Weapon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:54 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 28 May 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

Well there's you mistake. Its supposed to be hard for an Atlas to go toe to toe with a Dire. I have no interest in giving my mech perks to level the playing field. I took weeks learning how to overcome the limits I have to beat Dire Wolfs.

Do you care to share your loadout? I bet you it's close to this build.

Posted Image

#34 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:55 AM

View PostAtomic Weapon, on 28 May 2015 - 10:44 AM, said:

Sometimes the emotions can take the best of us, but the majority votes will actually outweigh the few. Hopefully we can really see if there's a need to make changes and therefore perhaps could be heard so future changes to the Atlas could be done if necessary.

Just a heads up.

Joe is a dyed in the wool carry harder guy. The nice part, is he is sincere...he likes being the underdog and wants to have to battle uphill. He actually practices what he preaches.

The downside? He's pretty much not the guy to talk to about actually balancing the game. And Jesus blinding him on the road to Damascus wouldn't change his PoV, one bit. So the fact that Power Creep from Clans, better modeling and Quirks matter not to his opinion.

As for the Atlas? There are two Inner Sphere Assault Mechs, that are basically famous for their toughness and tankiness. The Awesome, and the Atlas. Both of which are blessed with concept art that made them look good...and cursed by those looks being at the expense of good hitboxes. And because of how FPS work, that is a pretty big curse, as I find torsoing Atlases in my lil Hunchback that Could, great sport, and ridiculously easy. (As long as he doesn't have a lot of friends to focus fire me into oblivion, naturally, lol).

The Atlas, IMO, doesn't need offensive quirks. It has a pretty jack of all trades loadout, in a typical "generalist" design. It doe need and deserve heavy defensive quirks, to keep up with the ridiculous quirk creep out there. My Zeus, much as I love it, should NOT be tankier and more durable than an Atlas. I don't really agree with buffing twist rates, etc, because the Atlas is supposed to be big, slow ugly, and tough as nails. Buff the Structure, Buff the Armor, particularly of the STs. Maybe a bit to the CT. IMO, just as the Clan DWF is supposed to be the most ridiculously overgunned mech, the Atlas should be the most armored and toughest. It just fits the character and flavor of the mech. I pushed for it before, and I continue to believe it.

Just my 2 cts!

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 28 May 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

Yes, Joe, but this game is about more than just you. It's a multiplayer PvP game. Whether you like it or not, relative balance is how they are supposed to work. Most people are not masochists.

#35 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:02 AM

View PostAtomic Weapon, on 28 May 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

Do you care to share your loadout? I bet you it's close to this build.

Posted Image

Yes it is.
Of course its slower, but has more armor than the Orion.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 28 May 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

Just a heads up.

Joe is a dyed in the wool carry harder guy. The nice part, is he is sincere...he likes being the underdog and wants to have to battle uphill. He actually practices what he preaches.

The downside? He's pretty much not the guy to talk to about actually balancing the game. And Jesus blinding him on the road to Damascus wouldn't change his PoV, one bit. So the fact that Power Creep from Clans, better modeling and Quirks matter not to his opinion.

As for the Atlas? There are two Inner Sphere Assault Mechs, that are basically famous for their toughness and tankiness. The Awesome, and the Atlas. Both of which are blessed with concept art that made them look good...and cursed by those looks being at the expense of good hitboxes. And because of how FPS work, that is a pretty big curse, as I find torsoing Atlases in my lil Hunchback that Could, great sport, and ridiculously easy. (As long as he doesn't have a lot of friends to focus fire me into oblivion, naturally, lol).

The Atlas, IMO, doesn't need offensive quirks. It has a pretty jack of all trades loadout, in a typical "generalist" design. It doe need and deserve heavy defensive quirks, to keep up with the ridiculous quirk creep out there. My Zeus, much as I love it, should NOT be tankier and more durable than an Atlas. I don't really agree with buffing twist rates, etc, because the Atlas is supposed to be big, slow ugly, and tough as nails. Buff the Structure, Buff the Armor, particularly of the STs. Maybe a bit to the CT. IMO, just as the Clan DWF is supposed to be the most ridiculously overgunned mech, the Atlas should be the most armored and toughest. It just fits the character and flavor of the mech. I pushed for it before, and I continue to believe it.

Just my 2 cts!

Yes, Joe, but this game is about more than just you. It's a multiplayer PvP game. Whether you like it or not, relative balance is how they are supposed to work. Most people are not masochists.
Thanks for the kind words. And I know it is about more than me. But If I like how it is. I must say so, or PGI will not consider players like me at all. And that would be a shame.

PS I don't see how that's a downside! B) <----LOL dark glasses!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 28 May 2015 - 11:04 AM.

#36 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:05 AM

For the D and DD-C swap a missile and ballistics slot so those Atlases can make use of BOTH Ballistic slots for large bore guns.

Both the KCC and Direwolf have their Ballistics spread across the chassis (while having many more, although size restricted) and it shows in their power output immensely.

#37 Moldur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:07 AM

I like my atlas. I like the fact that people aren't afraid. They don't fear me until I'm about to destroy their mech. Joke is on them.

#38 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:09 AM

The only buff the Atlas needs IMO is to have its arm structure quirks changed to side torso armor quirks. The AC/20 side torso is way too easy to destroy and that constitutes half the Atlas' firepower. Moving the arm structure quirks to side torso armor will give the AC/20 the protection it needs.

The Direwolf needs some changes too IMO. Direwolf B side torsos need 5% ballistic cooldown reduction each (-10% for both). The direwolf should also get a +5% max speed buff on one of its non-ballistic side torsos. That would at least give the direwolf the option of moving slightly faster if it gives up one of its ballistic side torsos. No mech should be forced to go 54kph, thats atrocious.

Edited by Khobai, 28 May 2015 - 11:18 AM.

#39 Atomic Weapon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:10 AM

'Atlas is supposed to be big, slow ugly, and tough as nails. Buff the Structure, Buff the Armor, particularly of the STs. Maybe a bit to the CT. IMO, just as the Clan DWF is supposed to be the most ridiculously overgunned mech, the Atlas should be the most armored and toughest. It just fits the character and flavor of the mech. I pushed for it before, and I continue to believe it."

You are totally correct.

We've hit the nail on the head, we just need somebody to listen.

#40 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:19 AM

View PostAtomic Weapon, on 28 May 2015 - 11:10 AM, said:

'Atlas is supposed to be big, slow ugly, and tough as nails. Buff the Structure, Buff the Armor, particularly of the STs. Maybe a bit to the CT. IMO, just as the Clan DWF is supposed to be the most ridiculously overgunned mech, the Atlas should be the most armored and toughest. It just fits the character and flavor of the mech. I pushed for it before, and I continue to believe it."

You are totally correct.

We've hit the nail on the head, we just need somebody to listen.

And it is Big Slow and tough as nails. Its just that the Dire Wolf is the new tough on the block, If i could swap around my Hard points I could become MechZilla. But I can't so I use what I have and hit hard till you drop or I do.

22 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 22 guests, 0 anonymous users