131 replies to this topic

#41 Atomic Weapon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 28 May 2015 - 11:19 AM, said:

And it is Big Slow and tough as nails. Its just that the Dire Wolf is the new tough on the block, If i could swap around my Hard points I could become MechZilla. But I can't so I use what I have and hit hard till you drop or I do.

"If you win its cause you're a better pilot not a better Mech."
"Well there's you mistake. Its supposed to be hard for an Atlas to go toe to toe with a Dire. I have no interest in giving my mech perks to level the playing field."

I think we all understood you the first time.

1. very hard to go against the dire wolf
2. I have no interest in giving my mech perks to level the playing field

Go ahead will give you the last word then move on, so the community can be heard.

#42 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:36 AM

View PostAtomic Weapon, on 28 May 2015 - 11:28 AM, said:

"If you win its cause you're a better pilot not a better Mech."
"Well there's you mistake. Its supposed to be hard for an Atlas to go toe to toe with a Dire. I have no interest in giving my mech perks to level the playing field."

I think we all understood you the first time.

1. very hard to go against the dire wolf
2. I have no interest in giving my mech perks to level the playing field

Go ahead will give you the last word then move on, so the community can be heard.

The playing field is fairly level if you take the fight on the right terms. If you are just trying to out damage it, the dire wolf wins at all ranges. In brawling range the Atlas wins by spreading damage and shouting the Direwolf in the face....repeatedly. Never get into a ranged gunfight with a Direwolf. Of course, I find it's a bad idea to get into a ranged gunfight with anything in an Atlas.

#43 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:43 AM

The playing field is fairly level if you take the fight on the right terms.

Not really.

Even if your Atlas is completely undamaged and youre <270m with a direwolf youre going to lose 1v1. Unless the Dire Wolf pilot is really really bad.

In brawling range the Atlas wins by spreading damage and shouting the Direwolf in the face....repeatedly

No. You simply will not win against a properly built ballistic Direwolf. Best you can do is core it out and hurt it badly. But it will obliterate you in return.

#44 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:45 AM

View PostKhobai, on 28 May 2015 - 11:43 AM, said:

Not really.

Even if your Atlas is completely undamaged and youre &lt;270m with a direwolf youre going to lose 1v1. Unless the Dire Wolf pilot is really really bad.

No. You simply will not win against a properly built ballistic Direwolf. Best you can do is core it out and hurt it badly. But it will obliterate you in return.

You are right. I never kill them.

#45 Atomic Weapon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:48 AM

View PostBilbo, on 28 May 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

The playing field is fairly level if you take the fight on the right terms. If you are just trying to out damage it, the dire wolf wins at all ranges. In brawling range the Atlas wins by spreading damage and shouting the Direwolf in the face....repeatedly. Never get into a ranged gunfight with a Direwolf. Of course, I find it's a bad idea to get into a ranged gunfight with anything in an Atlas.

They did a good job on changing the Orion and giving it better armor, the developers did an awesome job on that. I rather pilot the Orion then a Atlas as it moves quicker and is not a big target, practically dishes out the same damage. Orion seems to absorb more damage then the Atlas..

#46 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:49 AM

You are right. I never kill them.

Im sure you have killed them. But they were either bad pilots, bad builds, or they were damaged.

But in a 1v1 fight between an undamaged Atlas and an undamaged Direwolf, with pilot skill being equal, I would bet on the Direwolf every single time.

I mean who wouldnt? The Atlas has so many bad traits compared to the Direwolf... anyone who thinks an Atlas is an equal match for a Direwolf at any range is delusional. Atlases are BAAAAADDD. I have more games played in my Atlases than any other mech so I know exactly how bad they are.

Edited by Khobai, 28 May 2015 - 11:52 AM.

#47 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:51 AM

View PostAtomic Weapon, on 28 May 2015 - 11:48 AM, said:

They did a good job on changing the Orion and giving it better armor, the developers did an awesome job on that. I rather pilot the Orion then a Atlas as it moves quicker and is not a big target, practically dishes out the same damage. Orion seems to absorb more damage then the Atlas..

Your kidding me right? I enjoy playing My Orion as well, but it can in no way absorb damage like an Atlas.

#48 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:53 AM

Aside from armor buffs, make sure it can bend low enough to shoot those leg-humping Firestarters and Ravens.

#49 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:58 AM

Your kidding me right? I enjoy playing My Orion as well, but it can in no way absorb damage like an Atlas.

Yeah but absorbing damage isnt how you win MWO. Avoiding damage is how you win MWO. And the Orion is better at avoiding damage than the Atlas. The Orion is a better mech IMO.

Assaults are basically glass turrets. They pack lots of firepower (except the Atlas) but they cant really take hits very well because their large hit locations counterintuitively cancel out the fact they have more armor. Having more armor doesnt do you any good unless you can spread the damage out which assaults have difficulty doing. Heavies are much better at spreading damage across their body which is why heavies are the preferred weight class. Also theres the fact that assaults like the Atlas are too damn slow to get out of bad situations...

Basically assaults are less survivable heavies with more firepower. And then theres the Atlas which is just a less survivable heavy thats outgunned by a Stormcrow.

Edited by Khobai, 28 May 2015 - 12:06 PM.

#50 Atomic Weapon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:01 PM

View PostBilbo, on 28 May 2015 - 11:51 AM, said:

I know it's harder to take out my AC 20 on my Orion then my Atlas. Even torso twisting I lose my cannons quicker on my Atlas then my Orion, perhaps it's the way the damage spreads.

#51 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:06 PM

Ok. Go ahead and make it better. I won't complain.

#52 Atomic Weapon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:18 PM

View PostKhobai, on 28 May 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

Yeah but absorbing damage isnt how you win MWO. Avoiding damage is how you win MWO.

Unless you have a good team you will take damage. This thing is designed as a punching bag as it moves and looks like a punching bag but does not take punches. That's why a lot of people play missile boats with the Atlas.

Posted Image

Edited by Atomic Weapon, 28 May 2015 - 12:31 PM.

#53 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:20 PM

i dont know, the atlas for me has been hit or miss since they redid the hitboxes on it. it seems like someone can just look at you and your ac20 falls off now. id really prefer to widen the CT, shrink the STs and add armor to the arms to encourage rolling damage. the STs are where your hurt comes from and loosing either side cripples you.

just giving the atlas the zues treatment and slapping silly amounts of armor all over it encourages face tanking like a noob.

#54 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:24 PM

View PostKh0rn, on 27 May 2015 - 01:31 PM, said:

Yes the Atlas does need help. It does not have its fear inducing factor any more. No where near the kind of tank it should have. A firestarter can mess up a atlas. As it is the Atlas really could do with a buff mainly in armor quirks.

What flawed logic. All weekend long I ran past enemy Assaults in my Nova and cored them from behind, I did not have any fear of them because they were already engaged elsewhere. They failed to realize on my first alpha that I was behind them, and my second destroyed them utterly. My Favorites were all the meta'd up Stalkers.

I do not stand in front of Atlases when engaging them either.

#55 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:27 PM

i also should point out that the atlas ddc could use some more module slots. it seems outdated to have so few.

#56 Christof Romulus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 898 posts
  • LocationAS7-D(F), GRF-1N(P)

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:32 PM

Hooray, buff the Atlas!

And not with friggan quirks damn it.

Raise all hardpoints JUST SLIGHTLY (CT weapons move up to the upper X's, arm weapons use the TOP of the arm first, and give that AC 20 a slight lift and center).

The Atlas, even without great hardpoint scaling (of which it has nearly none of), could move up a tier if its weapon hard points just all moved slightly up and inward.

#57 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:32 PM

View PostKhobai, on 28 May 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

Yeah but absorbing damage isnt how you win MWO. Avoiding damage is how you win MWO. And the Orion is better at avoiding damage than the Atlas. The Orion is a better mech IMO.

Assaults are basically glass turrets. They pack lots of firepower (except the Atlas) but they cant really take hits very well because their large hit locations counterintuitively cancel out the fact they have more armor. Having more armor doesnt do you any good unless you can spread the damage out which assaults have difficulty doing. Heavies are much better at spreading damage across their body which is why heavies are the preferred weight class. Also theres the fact that assaults like the Atlas are too damn slow to get out of bad situations...

Basically assaults are less survivable heavies with more firepower. And then theres the Atlas which is just a less survivable heavy thats outgunned by a Stormcrow.

You aren't putting a big enough engine in it then.

YOU CAN compete with firepower by installing an XLengine. Is it advisable? Not really. If you have less than a STD 300 in your Atlas you are doing it wrong.

You can remove 40ish points of armor from your legs to give you several tons of extra Whatever. At that you still have 42-46pts or armor in the legs.

Endosteel is your friend.

#58 Atomic Weapon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:41 PM

View PostFuggles, on 28 May 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

i also should point out that the atlas ddc could use some more module slots. it seems outdated to have so few.

You are correct about outdated, they are ramping up on the new mechs and the Atlas is one of the ones that need to be updated.

Posted Image

#59 Kassatsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:44 PM

I see about 4-5 times the number of Dire Wolves as I do Atlases. The sheer number of smaller, lighter and faster ECM mechs being able to put it where it's needed most isn't helping either.

I wouldn't mind seeing the hardpoints raised a bit (The ballistic one in particular should be part of the torso itself, not an awkward hip implant), and some minor quirks added (no face tank armor quirks please) to increase its survivability. Honestly I'd also be ok with an ECM range increase on the Atlas. That way, you can cover 200 meters instead of 180!

I don't even remember what mine has on it anymore, but I very quickly realized my original build was WAY too slow after clans came out and upgraded to I believe a 350 standard engine, while barely managing to keep the AC20, 3xSRM4 and whatever lasers I had in it (I believe it was 2 large, but I can't remember). Ammo isn't an issue in it, despite having only about 3 tons of AC20 ammo because no matter how smart I play, I'm always dead before I can even use that much.

I also wouldn't mind seeing all Atlas variants ECM-capable, as well as having no fewer than four weapon module slots and maybe 1-2 more mech module slots each.

Edited by Kassatsu, 28 May 2015 - 12:44 PM.

#60 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:46 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...73ed6d46240b27b

Firepower is 77.8
Speed is 57kph.
Has Mid-Long poke and in your face brawl.

Front faced armor for more face time.

If you can't succeed like this you should be ashamed.

Edited by Lugh, 28 May 2015 - 12:48 PM.

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users