239 replies to this topic

#201 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:48 AM

I want to know what the devs think of it and other PGI staff?

#202 F lan Ker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArctic Circle

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:58 AM

S!

I have watched these VLogs and now there was something about something that interested me in particular: the cockpits. I find them non-functional and with strange layout, useless buttons and groupings. Yes, this is a sci-fi game but bear with me. Trying to explain my stand.

First of all the cockpits are OK regarding windows and all that. What bothers me most are the unused screens, totally random buttons and whatnot sprinkled all over the place. Even in the fluff or novels or whatever you might call them there is an indication of the cockpit layout being grouped and clear. This is in line with the experience I have with military jetss for over 18 years now. The cockpit is laid out so that the most important items for the pilot are in front of him, like displays, armament/jettison, landing gear and such while other less used system consoles are on the sides. Of course grouped by systems like comms, ECS, sensors and so forth.

Now to the MWO. The cockpits could be a lot more immersive if the layout was more militaristic and had a clear pattern. A more "realistic" look so to say. Mechs would anyway share a lot of that logic as they are machines of war and made for efficiency. Even some might dislike Hawken it had better looking cockpits, not commenting on the walking TV sets :P

In short the cockpits could look more functional and realistic, having proper grouping of items that look like indicators and such, not generic textures as now. Just my .02€

#203 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:35 AM

Greetings all,

Good to see the Dev. VLog's start up again.

Now this being the first time we've seen Tina, and may be her first time conducting a recorded interview, it's passable.
- But the format and fluidity does need some work, especially with somewhat camera shy personalities.
(if time permits, a run through of the questions with the interviewee's, and knowing the subjects of the questions.)
- PGI may find that if the interviews are conducted around a setting of a couch and side chair it may put the whole interview at a bit more relaxed state. But you still need conduct a run through for the camera man and director as well as the script coordinator. (if someone needs a sip of water, the camera should not be on them at that time.)

Good to hear some background from the designers and artists, and use of images to enhance the points. More images and animations can't hurt as the Dev.'s discuss those topics.
~ (may want to look at having a monitor present showing the images, that all can refer to and comment on. If those images are added post recording, fine, but that may show some lack of prep.)

Reference the design of the 'Mech cockpits;
There's been many discussions over the past years about design, layout, use, non working items, and function of the controls. We have a new artist (Lisa) stepping in and offering her takes on how things should now be designed. She has many past design issues to deal with and quite a few changes may be needed to bring the 'Mech designs to a set standard.
- As mentioned, systematic lay out of like controls, labels for there operation and use, building in items that may 'at some time' serve a function, controls built with reference to Lore and tech abilities of these machines.
(Example: if it's referenced that BattleMechs could move ammo between locations and had a 'dump ammo' feature, we need to see that control or pad present and labeled.)
- Alex did mention that he now needs to 'keep the cockpit in mind' as he's designs his creations, something we've seen in the latest 'Mech offerings. And the orthos views of the sample imaged cockpit were great, those should be included somewhere in the game.

Good restart of these Vlogs, and to Tina, don't be put down by the comments, you've jumped into it, now make your own.

9erRed

#204 CLANBOY FFI

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 64 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for the Video, by the way Lisa, your my kinda lady.

#205 Redshirt enraged

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 128 posts
  • Locationhere / there / everywhere

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:07 AM

So,,,i watched the Vlog...and my first thought was... Isn´t child work forbidden?

Maybe it´s just me and to be rude isnt my intention here and i would have no problem with the clumsy presentation.

But the lack of information is the thing that hurt me pretty much here. :(

But at the end it´s good to see a life sign and the fact the dev vlog isn´t gone.

So i guess/hope it will be better next time.;)

Edited by Redshirt enraged, 31 May 2015 - 11:18 AM.

#206 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:15 AM

I finally got around to watching this. Here are my thoughts and feedback:

1) I like the old format better. Not only does it lend itself to transcripts more easily, but it's also more structured.
2) Everyone came across as nervous or timid. That's natural, but it might have been less so if the old format was utilized.
3) Tina doesn't know the Black Knight? :blink:
4) Really missing a transcript for this. I don't have time to watch the whole video typically, complete with its ums and uhs, so the transcript is very helpful to me. I can skim through it and collect the important bits of info that I need, and then watch the video later as time permits.

Edit:
5) When will some of the Challenges and Giveaways include those cool shirts, mugs, toys, and awesome looking arcade console??? :lol:

Edited by Nightmare1, 31 May 2015 - 11:16 AM.

#207 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:18 AM

View PostTom Sawyer, on 28 May 2015 - 10:53 AM, said:

Tina as a pinup nose art?

Make it so!

Seriously? Way to degrade and objectify her. Nevermind the bang up job she's doing.

#208 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:31 AM

View PostBeren Valari, on 30 May 2015 - 01:39 AM, said:

I just seems like they've never hung out before. So awkward talking to eachother and camera shy to boot.

In a way its nice to see however. That they're shy and that this is unpolished means it should at least be more authentic and less official covering only scripted talking points.

We are after all interviewing people who are not paid actors. You can clearly see that Alex has a lot of the design concepts in his head and articulates through his artwork. With Tina she's a great writer and it shows.

On another note: Question for Lisa - Do you or can anyone answer when we will have actually usable cockpit displays?

#209 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:10 PM

View PostUminix, on 29 May 2015 - 07:19 AM, said:

Maybe you aren't aware, but as a community manager, some of us would like to see you taking a more active role in the community, come talk to us, see how we are doing , how we feel about the progress of MW:O

I dunno, I just hear the title "Community Manager" and I, among others, think that means you are going to be more visible and active within our community.

You're asking this person who until recently stepped into this role to manage a rather large and predominately jaded community that is full of rude, epeen, trollish members. (Sexist too) give her the benefit of working at it. She's already done wonders in this role. She is still ONE person.

#210 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:45 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 31 May 2015 - 11:20 AM, said:

[redacted]

My point exactly. The fact that you had to post that just proves my point. It's disgusting and has no place in this forum. Grow up.

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 01 June 2015 - 04:51 PM.
Unconstructive quote

#211 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 01:06 PM

View PostSevronis, on 29 May 2015 - 07:41 PM, said:

Also, since when did complimenting a woman become taboo? Are you not a real man for doing so? Sure, depending on what you say and how you say it, you could come off as a creep. So basically the lesson here is:

Tell a woman you want to tie her down and get freaky (what I actually heard some dude say in a bar before) is fine, but tell a woman she's cute and suddenly you're a creep.

When its unwanted, unwarranted, and not complimentary and the receiver doesn't think its a compliment. It boils down to respect. Mutual respect. Would you say these things to Tina or any other woman to her face? You can tell a person they are cute, face to face in a bar.
Telling your community manager who's done a great job so far that she's "cute" needs to be a pinup for mech nose art, or snickering at the word "bang" in association with her; is down right disgusting and disrespectful of her position and her work thus far.

Whats more I do believe its a violation of this community's Code of Conduct.

Grow up and be better people to other people.

Edited by rolly, 31 May 2015 - 01:08 PM.

#212 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:35 PM

I would like a T-Shirt please.

#213 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:34 PM

View PostKilo 40, on 28 May 2015 - 08:54 PM, said:

after watching that video...damn do I feel old....

but I still enjoyed it.

From the first DevLog this was my feeling.

I mean no insult to anyone in PGI here - it's awesome that they're all doing this, and being successful with it, at such a young age... But I think nearly all of them are young enough to be my children. I felt so horribly old watching it, and always do when I watch them.

Really, I'm jealous, though. I've been in the work force for longer than most of them have even been alive, and I'm still doing a crappy job I hate. They're doing a job that clearly inspires them, that they (at least appear to) love. That's freaking awesome.

I'm going to go and be old now.

Edited by Wintersdark, 31 May 2015 - 06:34 PM.

#214 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:48 PM

View PostSevronis, on 29 May 2015 - 07:41 PM, said:

Also, since when did complimenting a woman become taboo? Are you not a real man for doing so? Sure, depending on what you say and how you say it, you could come off as a creep. So basically the lesson here is:

Tell a woman you want to tie her down and get freaky (what I actually heard some dude say in a bar before) is fine, but tell a woman she's cute and suddenly you're a creep.

Taboo? No. Inappropriate for the situation, yes. Consider: Most people want to be valued for who they are, and what they do first and foremost. You're basically minimizing what they're doing and who they are, and saying that the most important part is if they're attractive or not.

Compliments are only actually complimentary when they're relevant, appropriate for the situation and from someone you know. Random inappropriate compliments from strangers are creepy.

Comments about someone's physical attractiveness, when that's not in any way the issue at hand, imply that you don't really care about them, as real human beings, and what they're doing. You're just brushing everything aside except for how attractive you think they are. Whether that is your actual intent or not doesn't matter, that's what it conveys.

See:

#215 Primetimex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 353 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:02 PM

Great effort but it was for the most part, a very awkward 3-way conversation - not unlike someone's not entirely comfortable with the idea and conversation topic at hand.

What I got most out of it and sticks in my mind was: "that cockpit draws a lot of jokes, doesn't it".... :)

#216 Kaiyne DeWolvinsbaine

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:03 PM

Interesting. Seems a lot of people are doing the rounds about attractive women in media... this case the Community Manager and the 3D concept artist. *shakes head* All sorts of comments will happen, hopefully most will be honest attempts at a joke. Some of course won't be. Yes both ladies are very attractive and Tina's voice is adorable. I must say however that conversation about the compliments is a derail of the conversation about the Dev Vlog. If an admin or Tina herself say something to someone that is when we should respond. Remember Trolls only get fed if you pay attention to them.

On a completely different note. I so want to see the Deimos.

Shame some of my personally loved mechs are later in the time line. And a shame the Warhammer had to be removed. Though I must admit that the Hellbringer reminds me of it a bit.

The Marauder was another fav of mine.
As well as the Behemoth.

Any ways If I ever get done with my blender model of the Deimos I may get it into the Cryengine ( I have the subscription to it through Steam.) have a showcase. But that is a couple months away. ( not a lot of free time to actually work on it and learn the programs *chuckles*)

"Give me a fully fitted Deimos, and the gates pf Heaven and Hell will shake and fall to the ground long before I take the first steps upon that celestial battle field."
Kaiyne De'Wolvinsbaine
Warmaster of House De'Wolvinsbaine
Clan Wolf

#217 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:39 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 28 May 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

2 a month would be fantastic. I was thinking that PGI could also do like 3 minute clips once a week, either for one specific staff member a week, or maybe even each staffer releases one every week. They don't need to be anything complicated. Could be as simple as seeing Lisa do 3 minutes of cockpit work. Russ staring at screens for 3 minutes ... Or alex trying to do some mech art. 3 minutes, nothing longer. Once a week, either one staffer at a time, or each doing their own 3 minute clip. Doesn't need to be sneak-peak oriented, could be something like "this is what I'm working on this Tuesday."

I think it's a MDD, but I'm not sure.
What is a MDD?

Anyway keep up the good work PGI's Art department there's something I can't complain about the awesome looks of the mechs and their cockpits.

And To Tina, Lisa and Alex: Don't worry it will only get better from here the 'Camera shyeness' and same for the rest of PGI soon to be on Camera.

View Postrolly, on 31 May 2015 - 11:31 AM, said:

On another note: Question for Lisa - Do you or can anyone answer when we will have actually usable cockpit displays?
indeed those boring displays are getting bland we need something to put in them Targetingcomputer/Command console status?, Ecm/Active probe status? Engine status? i mean even a joke would be better than Auto-Detect (off)

Edited by KursedVixen, 01 June 2015 - 08:46 AM.

#218 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:36 AM

Well, one thing this thread has taught me is that there are some creepers on this board. I like the off-the-cuff interview style of vlog, but like others have said: rehearse it a couple times. Maybe show more teasers of what's coming? But I like getting to know the people who are making this game.

#219 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:03 AM

View Postrolly, on 31 May 2015 - 12:45 PM, said:

My point exactly. The fact that you had to post that just proves my point. It's disgusting and has no place in this forum. Grow up.

Oh look upon this white horseman!
Looking down on us from his moral high ground.

How about you stop getting offended for other people and pretend to represent their interests?
I'm sure, if it actually bothered Tina or Lisa or... Alex :wub:, they'd make it clear that such comments aren't welcome and everybody would stop.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 01 June 2015 - 10:04 AM.

#220 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:07 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 01 June 2015 - 08:39 AM, said:

What is a MDD?

Mad Dog. Turns out I might be wrong, and it's possibly the Ebon Jaguar (Cauldron Born)

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 01 June 2015 - 10:03 AM, said:

Oh look upon this white horseman!
Looking down on us from his moral high ground.

How about you stop getting offended for other people and pretend to represent their interests?
I'm sure, if it actually bothered Tina or Lisa or... Alex :wub:, they'd make it clear that such comments aren't welcome and everybody would stop.

I was hoping people here would have the decency to stop themselves. Instead of operating like children, having to be told that what they are doing is wrong, and need to stop.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 01 June 2015 - 10:08 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users