#121 Apnu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:57 PM

View PostAloha, on 29 May 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

Last night in a PUG drop, one LRM player on my team types a simple request: "Hold Locks Please". It's a simple enough request, and not that uncommon. However, another player types "How about getting your own locks?", which leads to the LRM player to respond if the second player would like him to leave the match. The second player responds "Yes, please", and the LRM player complied. We already have one D/C, so now we're down 2 players.

Now I don't play LRMs very often, but I do it once in a while just to mix things up. I no longer remind the team to hold locks precisely due to that attitude towards LRM players. I admit I have seen some bad LRM players who just sit way back waiting for his teams to lock targets for them, but I've also seen good LRM players who are very effective in providing fire support and keeping the enemy pinned with LRMs. I feel that this hostility towards LRM players is unjustified and foolish. I would rather have a bad LRM player than playing the match short one player. At the very least he'll serve as canon fodder and absorb some damage, and maybe even strip off a few points of armor off an enemy.

Honestly, if you dislike LRM as a weapon system, then don't use it, but to tell your own team mate to leave the match is a disservice to your own team.

A like and a kick for you. OP is telling the truth. Player attitudes are the biggest negative in this game. Get over yourselves tryhards.

#122 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:02 PM

View PostApnu, on 29 May 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

A like and a kick for you. OP is telling the truth. Player attitudes are the biggest negative in this game. Get over yourselves tryhards.
AH! Trying to insult someone by calling them a "tryhard" is absolutely laughable.

If you care about winning, you'll "try hard".

If you don't care about winning, when you see me on your team, feel free to disconnect. I don't need some idiot on my team half-ass'ing it because he doesn't mind losing...

Call me a "tryhard" all you want buddy, it don't hurt my feelin's none at all!

#123 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:09 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 29 May 2015 - 03:02 PM, said:

AH! Trying to insult someone by calling them a "tryhard" is absolutely laughable.

If you care about winning, you'll "try hard".

If you don't care about winning, when you see me on your team, feel free to disconnect. I don't need some idiot on my team half-ass'ing it because he doesn't mind losing...

Call me a "tryhard" all you want buddy, it don't hurt my feelin's none at all!

You're either a tryhard or sandbagger. And I'd rather be known as a tryhard than a sandbagger.

#124 masCh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 407 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:18 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 29 May 2015 - 03:02 PM, said:

I don't need some idiot on my team half-ass'ing it because he doesn't mind losing...

Feel free to disconnect.

Yep, because disconnecting is how your team wins. LOL

#125 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:29 PM

View PostmasCh, on 29 May 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

Yep, because disconnecting is how your team wins. LOL
And not "trying hard" has resulted in OH SO MANY wins, right?

RIGHT.... :rolleyes:

#126 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:32 PM

I'm totally fine with LRM guys...I just can't stand the LRM boat with no back up weapons. Just mount one small laser and you'll have no problems with me.

But when you are that guy that powers down or runs to hide because you are out of ammo...Then you get my wrath. Especially since most guys wasted half their 1000rnds on unseen terrain and cover.

So bad is the pure LRM boat induced, intellectual degeneration, that many of these poor guys don't know what to do once they have to actually shoot somebody. They haven't developed simple skills like reading target info, they don't aim for open armor. They fail to consider certain tactical complexities as a light running around like a chicken with no leg armor only requires you shoot them in the legs, or run into the ******* as it mindlessly weaves amongst the building in River City...but no, they shut down and watch the light harassing his team's heavily damaged Assault and only other surviving mech. *smh*

No, I'm fine with LRM mechs...I just can't stand players who become liabilities by using them horribly. The ones who think their are field artillery and separate from the rest of the team, when they should be running at the rear of the pack, not the rear of the map. The guy who asks you to hold locks because, once again, he thinks he is field artillery, when he supposed to be a grenadier engaging and locking targets with the pack, NOT mooching off the blood and steel getting stripped off our mechs while facing off with the enemy.

Nothing worse than seeing a pristine mech at the end of the map, out of LRMs and abandoning his team to try and finish off a close match in their broken and battered mechs. Yeah we are pissed, no we don't care how many kills you got, because we didn't need your help to finish them off in the first place. But if you had one ML, you could have killed their heavily damaged mech instead of spectating my demise. We'd have been better off if you were with the pack contributing your armor, structure and more efficient weapons usage to the fight...instead of stroking your epeen in the rear of the map, anticipating your damage stats.

Edited by CocoaJin, 29 May 2015 - 03:45 PM.

#127 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:37 PM

>However, another player types "How about getting your own locks?", which leads to the LRM player to respond if the second player would like him to leave the match. The second player responds "Yes, please", and the LRM player complied.

so that lrm player was a jerk who forced their own dc request and then fulfilled it

#128 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:43 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 29 May 2015 - 03:37 PM, said:

>However, another player types "How about getting your own locks?", which leads to the LRM player to respond if the second player would like him to leave the match. The second player responds "Yes, please", and the LRM player complied.

so that lrm player was a jerk who forced their own dc request and then fulfilled it
See, had it been me, I'd have stayed in the match and done my best to get the highest damage and most kills, and then at the end of the match rubbed it in the faces of the nay sayers.

BUT, I'm a 'tryharder' so apparently that's the wrong response, right?

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT! :rolleyes:

#129 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:46 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 29 May 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

Nothing worse than seeing a pristine mech at the end of the map, out of LRMs and abandoning his team to try and finish off a close match in their broken and battered mechs. Yeah we are pissed, no we don't care how many kills you got, because we didn't need your help to finish them off in the first place. But if you had one ML, you could have killed their heavily damaged mech instead of spectating my demise. We'd have been better off if you were with the pack contributing your armor, structure and more efficient weapons usage to the fight...instead of stroking your epeen in the rear of the map, anticipating your damage stats.

While I agree with the gist of your comment, I had a similarly "out of ammo" Orion VA (SRMs and AC10, just no room for MLasers without sacrificing things I am not willing to sacrifice). I end up being the last mech standing aginst 4 battered enemy.

My team proceeds to complain about my bad no back up weapon build, and how it cost them the match.

Endscreen? I laid out 1200 dmg, and killed 6 enemy mechs, before running out of ammo. None of my teammates broke 400 damage, and only 2 registered kills, 1 each. And I cost the team the match?

LOL.

I have had similar matches with LRMs, btw. I get the complaint, within reason, and I have i think 2-3 out of 100 mechs without backup weapons (those without, I tend to have pretty copious ammo stores. I have enough ammo on that Orion for a little over 1400 dmg, for example)

But if that LRMboat did 800-1000 dmg, and 4+ kills, I'm sorry, it's the team that failed, not the LRMboat. Obviously if the LRMboat did all of 400 dmg, and 1-2 probably incidental kills, we are tlakign a different story. But it's one reason I tend to prefer to avoid broadstrokes, in most scenarios.

#130 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:48 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 29 May 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

See, had it been me, I'd have stayed in the match and done my best to get the highest damage and most kills, and then at the end of the match rubbed it in the faces of the nay sayers.

BUT, I'm a 'tryharder' so apparently that's the wrong response, right?

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT! :rolleyes:

had it been me i would have thrown a tantrum and then played as usually... while still throwing a tantrum (:

#131 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:49 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 29 May 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

While I agree with the gist of your comment, I had a similarly "out of ammo" Orion VA (SRMs and AC10, just no room for MLasers without sacrificing things I am not willing to sacrifice). I end up being the last mech standing aginst 4 battered enemy.

My team proceeds to complain about my bad no back up weapon build, and how it cost them the match.

Endscreen? I laid out 1200 dmg, and killed 6 enemy mechs, before running out of ammo. None of my teammates broke 400 damage, and only 2 registered kills, 1 each. And I cost the team the match?

LOL.

I have had similar matches with LRMs, btw. I get the complaint, within reason, and I have i think 2-3 out of 100 mechs without backup weapons (those without, I tend to have pretty copious ammo stores. I have enough ammo on that Orion for a little over 1400 dmg, for example)

But if that LRMboat did 800-1000 dmg, and 4+ kills, I'm sorry, it's the team that failed, not the LRMboat. Obviously if the LRMboat did all of 400 dmg, and 1-2 probably incidental kills, we are tlakign a different story. But it's one reason I tend to prefer to avoid broadstrokes, in most scenarios.
Ok questions:

1. Did you start the match with a general, "Hold locks please"?
2. Did you spend the match hiding behind terrain, bitching that no one is holding locks for you?
3. Did you end the match bitching that no one held locks for you?

I think I know the answer to those questions, and I'm fairly certain you are a practitioner of the "4 knowns" as discussed above...

#132 WatDo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 172 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killin' your d00ds

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:49 PM

I can't really speak for everyone but my hostility toward them, if you can call it that, stems from the fact lrms are no-skill weapons (asking others to get your locks just makes that more apparent) and how badly they slow the overall game down.

I hate it when all i do for an entire game is sit behind a rock or get slowly and laughably pelted to death by lrms.

As others have said, they're not good weapons to even begin with. When they work they "work", when the enemy team has ecm, some ams, or some decent cover they're an annoyance at most.

That said i won't actively hate on anyone like that guy you saw and i'll still get locks. I always get locks because it helps the whole team anyway.

#133 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:51 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 29 May 2015 - 03:48 PM, said:

had it been me i would have thrown a tantrum and then played as usually... while still throwing a tantrum (:
Y'know... I feel you brudda!

View PostWatDo, on 29 May 2015 - 03:49 PM, said:

I can't really speak for everyone but my hostility toward them, if you can call it that, stems from the fact lrms are no-skill weapons (asking others to get your locks just makes that more apparent) and how badly they slow the overall game down.

They aren't "no-skill weapons", they are "lesser skill required" weapons.

They CAN be used QUITE skillfully, unfortunately, it's not very common to see them used that way.

#134 Tatula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 683 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:52 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 29 May 2015 - 03:37 PM, said:

>However, another player types "How about getting your own locks?", which leads to the LRM player to respond if the second player would like him to leave the match. The second player responds "Yes, please", and the LRM player complied. so that lrm player was a jerk who forced their own dc request and then fulfilled it

Yep! Both players were behaving childishly IMO. But as many already point out, asking for lock DOES NOT mean the LRM player was planning on staying at the spawn point waiting for the rest of the team to do the work for him. It MAY be what is intended, but it also MAY be just a friendly reminder that "hey, hold locks when you can and I'll send some of my ammo that way".

My original point is that antagonizing your team mates because they may be playing a mech that's against your preference is counter-productive to the team.

#135 Ursh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:52 PM

On my Cataphract 4x brawler, I pack one lrm5 just because it makes people duck.

#136 Eboli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:56 PM

If there is one thing I don't like seeing at the beginning of the game is someone saying "LRM boat here. Please hold locks". It tends to mean that the player wants to sit back and let the other players take the fight up to the enemy while they sit back and noob launch volleys of LRMs at high inefficiency.

I do tend to state "get your own locks" and I won't apologise over it. Luckily enough I don't see too much of this these days as I think most intelligent people either know how to use LRMs or don't use them. Clans seem to be an exception because they still do damage under 180m and are good for cockpit shake barrage.

Cheers
Eboli

#137 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:03 PM

Problems with people giving you the sass over an LRM-centric loadout?

One simple phrase to shut them up. Throw it out there, and they'll either laugh, shake their heads and sigh, or get incensed and quit. Whichever way it goes down, you don't have to listen to them anymore.

#Lurm2Play

#138 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:07 PM

View PostAstrocanis, on 29 May 2015 - 02:16 PM, said:

I usually do. But imagine how much more effective at suppression and distraction I could have been with a lock or two.

People may run away from a large laser or two. They ALWAYS jump at LRMs.

For me, it's not about kills (although I seem to do ok with them), it's about making the enemy targeted worry a lot more about getting his arse blown off than chasing that Jenner (who usually gets the kill).

You're missing the point. The direct fire arc, and the affects of TAG/Artemis mean when you do your own spotting the missiles clump better and bore through CTs. Also when you're going indirect it's much harder to know when your missiles are hitting terrain, or the enemy is about to move behind cover.

Edited by One Medic Army, 29 May 2015 - 04:08 PM.

#139 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:10 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 29 May 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

LOL.

I'm a lot more accepting of ammo dependent, direct fire weapons builds. Generally you are front and center, trading metal and salty glares as part of the team. Plus, direct fire weapons tend to be much more efficient, better direct and just more dependable. And let's not forget...direct fire guys know how to fight.

#140 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:15 PM

View PostAloha, on 29 May 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

Last night in a PUG drop, one LRM player on my team types a simple request: "Hold Locks Please". It's a simple enough request, and not that uncommon. However, another player types "How about getting your own locks?", which leads to the LRM player to respond if the second player would like him to leave the match. The second player responds "Yes, please", and the LRM player complied. We already have one D/C, so now we're down 2 players.

Now I don't play LRMs very often, but I do it once in a while just to mix things up. I no longer remind the team to hold locks precisely due to that attitude towards LRM players. I admit I have seen some bad LRM players who just sit way back waiting for his teams to lock targets for them, but I've also seen good LRM players who are very effective in providing fire support and keeping the enemy pinned with LRMs. I feel that this hostility towards LRM players is unjustified and foolish. I would rather have a bad LRM player than playing the match short one player. At the very least he'll serve as canon fodder and absorb some damage, and maybe even strip off a few points of armor off an enemy.

Honestly, if you dislike LRM as a weapon system, then don't use it, but to tell your own team mate to leave the match is a disservice to your own team.

You know what Novakaine says.....
Screw em.
Knuckle draggin brawlers let em close in and get cored, it's great for us.
Just watch and then kill the mech they been shooting at.
Call it kill stealing I don't care.
They don't appreciate your support so don't beg em.
Novakaine never begs for target locks.
Novakaine gets his own.
Ungrateful knuckle draggin brawler types.
And ya know the funny thing, Novakaine almost always finds himself out front any damn way.
Leading a charge kinda sad huh.
So if they don't want to be a team player screw em.
They need us more than we need them, but are too obtuse to admit it.
Knuckle draggin...........
So play your LRM boat with pride and pack a fist full support weapons, because there always be some git thinking yer a easy target.
It will help you dissuade that dumb notion.
By all mean be sure to lrm those lights mechs, it fun as hell to see the tears fall.
Ah Novakaine loves lrmin lights.
Easy mode my rear exhaust port.
And if ya win the match with multiple kills be sure to type in this for all to see.
This arse kicking was brought to you by a LRM player - Git some!
Last but not least when all else fails remember.......
Posted Image

Edited by Novakaine, 29 May 2015 - 04:16 PM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users