Assault 'mechs Re-Scale Vote (Part 1)

103 replies to this topic

Poll: Assault 'Mechs Re-Scale Vote (3773 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Assault 'Mech do you want to have re-scaled the most?

1. Voted Awesome - 80 Tonnage (2291 votes [35.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.84%

2. Voted Victor - 80 Tonnage (612 votes [9.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.57%

3. Voted Zeus - 80 Tonnage (347 votes [5.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.43%

4. Gargoyle - 80 Tonnage (469 votes [7.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.34%

5. Voted Stalker - 85 Tonnage (514 votes [8.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.04%

6. BattleMaster - 85 Tonnage (335 votes [5.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.24%

7. Warhawk - 85 Tonnage (454 votes [7.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.10%

8. Highlander - 90 Tonnage (226 votes [3.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.54%

9. Voted Banshee - 95 Tonnage (145 votes [2.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.27%

10. Executioner - 95 Tonnage (179 votes [2.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.80%

11. Voted Atlas - 100 Tonnage (444 votes [6.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.95%

12. King Crab - 100 Tonnage (189 votes [2.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.96%

13. Dire Wolf - 100 Tonnage (187 votes [2.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.93%

Vote

#81 Purger of Man

• PipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:10 AM

I really hope Kitfox, Adder, Nova, Catapult and Awesome get the rescaling because it did say top 5 B)

Ps: I would personally prefer the Grasshopper over Catapult because I dread the Gauss Kitty coming back in force :wacko:

Edited by Purger of Man, 05 July 2015 - 09:11 AM.

#82 TinFoilHat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:15 AM

Awesome - for the love of god, this needs it more than anything
Dire Wolf and Warhawk - both could do with their top canopies decreasing more in line with original artwork

#83 Zack Esseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 248 posts
  • LocationRith Essa

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:57 AM

For the sake of game play, the Awesome and the Warhawk need to be rescaled. For the sake of lore, they are all more or less right where they should be save for the Stalker (by they I am talking only of the assaults). I kinda wish that PGI gave a more in-depth description of how they are going to do the rescale. Are they going to do a generic reduce size in all directions by a percentage? Or are they going to fix the scale by adjusting in X/Y/Z individually to make it perform better? Not all mechs need to be fixed height wise, but a lot of them need to be fixed width wise. Would also be nice to have mechs and maps scaled together better. Kinda tired of piloting my Highlander and having it be six stories tall. Pretty sure its only supposed to be about four stories tall.

#84 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:05 PM

Awesome, Victor, Warhawk, Atlas are the outliers in the Assault class. Awesome is a lolbarn, Victor could use slightly thinner legs and a thinner torso, Warhawk is the size of a 100 ton behemoth (Direwhale) and needs significant SOMETHING done to it, and the Atlas suffers from 100-ton power creep. It used to be fine for its' size...sort-of...now it's just a wide punching bag when compared to the KGC and DWF. If the Atlas were thinned out a la tabletop concept art it would be perfect. The arms just need to be SLIGHTLY thinned out, and the torso given a 5%-10% reduction with the lower torso and legs following a 5% reduction.

We need a middle-ground mix of this (maybe the Banshee should get a SLIGHT shrinkage as well, like 3%):
Posted Image

With this:
Posted Image

Note the thinner torso. Yes, it looks generic with the thin torso, but the mech team at PGI is great at what they're doing artistically and I'm sure would be able to keep the current "look" of the Atlas while slightly thinning the torso and overall dimensions out just a touch.

Edited by Pezzer, 05 July 2015 - 12:13 PM.

#85 Dev DarkWing Thynebra

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCyran: Primeval Station

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:49 PM

The awesome!, come on the thing is like a walking wall, also the zeus is a little small.

#86 Zack Esseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 248 posts
  • LocationRith Essa

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:50 PM

The atlas just needs more deffensive related quirks. It should be HUGE, and its arms need to be big to take the hits when it twists about. Dire whale and Mr. Pinches are the DMG dealers, Atlas is the Tank. And it wont get targeted or work as a wall if it is smaller.

#87 Rushmoar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 01:53 PM

With only 5 mechs to chose from, I hope there is another pass at rescaling in the future after this one.

EDIT: the Atlas will never get any smaller. It's 100 tons.

Edited by Rushmoar, 05 July 2015 - 01:59 PM.

#88 AC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:19 PM

The Executioner looks too small for an assault to me. I sometimes mistake it for a lighter mech at quick glances.

#89 Duke Blaine

• PipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 30 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:57 PM

Awesome needs work in width overall and torso.
Stalker seems okay.
Victor needs narrowed heavily in shoulder and I say more narrow legs. Be even better if it looked more like concept.
Zeus, has little ability to outmatch other mechs so I'd keep its size.
Clan mechs, no opinion.

#90 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:27 PM

MY TIME HAS FINALLY COME! And I get to keep my barn mechbay!!

Posted Image

Edited by White Bear 84, 05 July 2015 - 09:28 PM.

#91 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:06 AM

View PostHawk819, on 03 July 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

The Awesome is my first and foremost choice. Plus, I hope they fix the geography on it's loadouts.

Yea, I know what you mean, It is annoying to shoot a PPC thinking it will come out in Greenland only to have the PPC bolt shoot from Italy. Please fix the Geography PGI... while you are at it, you could also look at the Geometry.

#92 Naryck

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:25 AM

i know that it's possible to open game models in some 3d-editors. isn't it possible then find a volume of the model in some units and compare?
i believe stalker is not-so-big just when looking at it from the front, but from the side it's... well, it's another whale... that's why stalkers are not needed to be rescaled - the volume is ok for it's weight.
same thing with awesome - it's thin when looking from the side. if pgi ever change it's profile, i think they will add some volume to the center torso at the back and at the front. and will change side torsos a little - more to be V-like

#93 CW MW Davis

Rookie

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 4 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:53 AM

They should have taken the scale differencies 1:1 from Battletech. And that would meant that the Atlas should be a lot bigger than the available one.

Come on, it is named ATLAS and not DWARF. It should look like Atlas, the greek god who carries the weight of the worlds on its shoulders.

Cant wait to see what a resize will happen. Hopefully in the right direction, or is it gonna be "Mini-Battletech"? ;)

See you on the battlefield

CW_MW_Davis

#94 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:35 AM

View PostCW MW Davis, on 06 July 2015 - 08:53 AM, said:

They should have taken the scale differencies 1:1 from Battletech. And that would meant that the Atlas should be a lot bigger than the available one.

Come on, it is named ATLAS and not DWARF. It should look like Atlas, the greek god who carries the weight of the worlds on its shoulders.

Cant wait to see what a resize will happen. Hopefully in the right direction, or is it gonna be "Mini-Battletech"? ;)

See you on the battlefield

CW_MW_Davis

You've got it backwards. Lore/TT scale would have the Atlas being smaller - much smaller. About 14 meters or so. In MWO it stands around 18 meters, if I recall correctly - that's about one-and-a-half edifice floors taller than it should be per lore. It's HUGE.

Granted, it does feel a lot smaller, in-game. But that's caused entirely by (numerous) other factors. Environmental details, overall map design, and perhaps the biggest contributor, cockpit design. All of these make the 'Mechs in MWO feel a lot smaller than they actually are in-game. But their actual sizes are actually enormous, much bigger than in lore. The only exceptions are some of the light 'Mechs, which are either accurate or undersized.

#95 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:01 PM

make the shoulders on the awesome be part of the dead arms instead of sidetorso. that would be a very good start for things since like the centurion it would have dead hitboxes soaking up only adjacent damage and not main component damage.

after that the scaling you need to do to the awesome would be relatively small

#96 Drogra

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts
  • LocationSLC, Utah

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:50 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 03 July 2015 - 09:14 PM, said:

You know when people have 3D models of the catapult, I really wish they would take the ears off when they do volumetric comparisons. Because they really are light/hollow and it does makes sense. I'd be interested to see that 10% jump to 22%-28%

Aside from the fact that most of the Cat's weapons are in those boxes....

#97 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:06 PM

View PostMazzyplz, on 06 July 2015 - 04:01 PM, said:

make the shoulders on the awesome be part of the dead arms instead of sidetorso. that would be a very good start for things since like the [old] centurion it would have dead hitboxes soaking up only adjacent damage and not main component damage.

after that the scaling you need to do to the awesome would be relatively small

I had to add that bracket in, since the Cent's arms are no longer that present after being blown off. A feature I sorely miss :(

Anyway. As to your suggestion regarding the Awesome itself. ABSOLUTELY. I, and others, have been saying the same thing for years. All you'd have to do to vastly increase the 'Mech's survivability is make those upper sections on the side-torsos count as arm hitboxes. That's it.

Now, I do still it should be remodeled, even with that fix. I like the idea of the Awesome in MWO, but it's one of the ugliest models in the game IMO. A lot of FlyingDebris' concepts are vast improvements over the original BT arts, but some are just plain ugly. Not a good ugly either, but ugly in a boring way - Banshee and Kintaro are two offenders, but none is worse than the Awesome. It looks like a giant FROG.

What's even funnier about the whole matter is, Awesomes in lore are supposed to be one of the toughest 'Mechs the IS has. They're also supposed to be one of the most potent in firepower capacity. Neither is true in MWO. We can blame the model and hitboxes for the first deviation, and the heat mechanics for the second. And the most frustrating thing about that model issue is, if they had simply made the Awesome look a bit more like its original art, it wouldn't be so vulnerable - even without durability quirks, it would become a lot more survivable. The Awesome was never meant to look fat and wide; it was fairly stout, but more than anything it was upright. It looked like a walking tower of PPC death. In MWO, we have a wall instead of a tower :(

#98 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:12 AM

hey guys the new patch made the awesome's ppc "nipples" be a lot smaller this time around so while it currently looks a little worse, it gives pgi the perfect opportunity to rescale the torsos that house them laterally and the ct and shoulders about 20% without losing anything, you can also make the arms closer to the chest and not so diagonal please, it's got worse convergence than a catapult

#99 Draykin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:34 PM

Awesome definitely needs the re-scale, and I'm so glad the community agrees.

As for the others though, I think the Dire Wolf could use a bit of a rescale, and I feel as though the Atlas should be the biggest 'Mech in the game, no question. Doesn't need to be a whole lot bigger, but definitely at least a bit of an increase.

#100 Beo Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 739 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationHalsey, NE

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:36 PM

I voted for the Dire Wolf but really all the 100 tonners need scaling up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users