Assault 'mechs Re-Scale Vote (Part 1)

103 replies to this topic

Poll: Assault 'Mechs Re-Scale Vote (3773 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Assault 'Mech do you want to have re-scaled the most?

1. Voted Awesome - 80 Tonnage (2291 votes [35.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.84%

2. Voted Victor - 80 Tonnage (612 votes [9.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.57%

3. Voted Zeus - 80 Tonnage (347 votes [5.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.43%

4. Gargoyle - 80 Tonnage (469 votes [7.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.34%

5. Voted Stalker - 85 Tonnage (514 votes [8.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.04%

6. BattleMaster - 85 Tonnage (335 votes [5.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.24%

7. Warhawk - 85 Tonnage (454 votes [7.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.10%

8. Highlander - 90 Tonnage (226 votes [3.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.54%

9. Voted Banshee - 95 Tonnage (145 votes [2.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.27%

10. Executioner - 95 Tonnage (179 votes [2.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.80%

11. Voted Atlas - 100 Tonnage (444 votes [6.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.95%

12. King Crab - 100 Tonnage (189 votes [2.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.96%

13. Dire Wolf - 100 Tonnage (187 votes [2.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.93%

Vote

#61 Ironhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:34 AM

IMHO, Zeus should be bigger, Stalker perhaps (though it would be preferable to reduce the Catapult instead), Atlas bigger, yet Battlemaster is too big for its tonnage and should be smaller. Since everybody said Awesome already, I will not add anything obvious here... ;)

But wait a minute, PGI. Isn't there a way in a 3D software to calculate a weight factor based on shape volume instead of going this subjective route with us, with known risks of unhappy crowds in the end? Just sayin'...

IH

#62 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:50 AM

Two leading Mechs are good choices.

#63 Fleeb the Mad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:35 AM

Yes!

Yessss!

Vote for the precious. Awesome needs love.

#64 GOLFisNOTaSPORT

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:56 AM

The Awesome is meant to be a wide 'Mech. It could stand to lose a slight bit of height, but otherwise it's fine. The Stalker could use a bit of bulking up, but it's not bad, either. And the Battlemaster is supposed to be a tall one.

The Zeus definitely needs help, though. It's supposed to be a fairly sizable 80-tonner. The Commonwealth's unofficial motto is 'bigger is better.'

The Victor is a bit tall and a bit wide. It could use a little redoing, but it's not *too* bad. Same with the Gargoyle, and the Gargoyle also has the Vindicator's problem of looking too soft with so many curves. It should be more angular. And the Atlas, while it's not meant to tower over absolutely *everything* (the Banshee comes to mind) should be taller than most others. As such it probably needs about another meter in height.

What I really think needs fixing, though, is the King Crab. It has the Nova's problem: too tall and too narrow. It's all out of proportion. It just looks...wrong.

#65 Gumon Choji

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:03 AM

Dire, king and Stalker must be bigger. The awesome is a barn. I love them but they are a barn. A walking barn. The quirks make it nice but it needs a paint scheme of red with a giant X and a black top. Like the barn it is.

#66 aleksandrGRC

• Pip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:30 AM

while awesome is top of the list
the mauler, i figured would have the almost same silohette as the awesome.
i wonder how thats going to work out.

#67 Sagedabluemage

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:55 AM

Awesome <----- needs it aka thin it out take it to weght watchers or something

but in terms of scale and stuff take a look at the Atlas in most games The atlas would look down at many other of the mechs from like the Timberwolf to even things like the Summoner and junk it was an imposing sight. Everyone had to look up to one literlly..
So maybe if we start with using the Atlas as a reference point for scale of the other mechs since it seems to be in a good place in terms of size and junk that might make it easier.

i would link videos and stuff from other games and sarna but im terrible at linking D:

then again that would also mean a rescale of all of the buildings as well since the atlas is supposed to be about what 12 meters tall in table top since he is 2 lvls tall with each lvl being 6m sooooo its really all discrentional at this point.

I think i just confused myself O.o

but if i remember correctly mech sizes range from 6m to 18m tall so yeah its so derp round about XD and the ones that are like 18m and junk are 3legged behemoths of the sort and over 100 tons like 125t, 150t range soo yeah woo woo.

yep i just confused myself again o.O

#68 Valar13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 784 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:42 AM

View PostGrimReality, on 03 July 2015 - 04:19 PM, said:

Would this be the appropriate time & place to request that the Stalker's knees be reversed to the more traditional (albeit more awkward looking) human-knee bend, rather than the current chicken walker legs?

This along with increasing its size and/or decreasing the Catapult's size to better differentiate the two.

That's the way the Stalker is supposed to be...

#69 ShinobiHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:46 AM

View Postmultisoul, on 03 July 2015 - 09:38 PM, said:

this entire voting is obsolete!
ppl vote to have the mech rescaled /OP that they play most
rescaling has to be according Lore and game balance
not always lighter means smaller, espetially if talk about 5 tons, there are also other factors like steep climbing, acceleration, speed, total armor etc.
and as i see it also the developers take in account date of release of their mechs making newer=better

I voted Warhawk. I don't believe I've ever taken one in an actual match before and have no intentions of buying one. But it's sad to see one standing next to a Direwolf and having to look twice to tell the difference...

#70 tredmeister

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 112 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:16 PM

View PostStalaggtIKE, on 03 July 2015 - 03:57 PM, said:

The Awesome is too tall and wide... the Zeus and Stalker are too small.

View PostMatthew Ace, on 04 July 2015 - 03:05 AM, said:

I'm pretty curious how will the Awesome look when scaled to a size that's closer to a Zeus. Any volunteers?

Awesome is already shorter than Zeus, but looks like it should weigh 10 tons more because of it's bulk.
Spoiler

View Poststealthraccoon, on 03 July 2015 - 09:42 PM, said:

Awesome can remain wide as a barn, if only it were shorter - say as tall as a current 50 tonner.

View PostGOLFisNOTaSPORT, on 04 July 2015 - 08:56 AM, said:

The Awesome is meant to be a wide 'Mech. It could stand to lose a slight bit of height, but otherwise it's fine...

The MWO Awesome model is just way too wide. Here is a comparison with previous versions.
Spoiler

View PostSagedabluemage, on 04 July 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

Awesome <----- needs it aka thin it out take it to weght watchers or something...

Sadly, a simple re-scale of the model will probably not help much, as it will just be really short.
It would take a re-model to thin the chassis out, and I don't see that happening... :(
Spoiler

Edited by tredmeister, 04 July 2015 - 12:25 PM.

#71 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:26 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 03 July 2015 - 09:14 PM, said:

You know when people have 3D models of the catapult, I really wish they would take the ears off when they do volumetric comparisons. Because they really are light/hollow and it does makes sense. I'd be interested to see that 10% jump to 22%-28%

Why would they take the ears off? The Stalker has light/hollow arms as well - 10 tubes each, as opposed to the Catapult's 15. And dual 6-tube launchers in the torso, as well. The comparison is good as-is.

Edited by Bloodweaver, 04 July 2015 - 01:27 PM.

#72 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:26 PM

View PostShaneoftheDead, on 03 July 2015 - 03:01 PM, said:

The Awesome is not as bad as it used to be. I'd rather see the Atlas be just a little larger.

If the Alas should be larger, it need something to compensate for being a bigger target, like big bonuses to structure and armor. So until that happens I voted the stalker instead as third choice.

#73 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:29 PM

View PostSagedabluemage, on 04 July 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

but in terms of scale and stuff take a look at the Atlas in most games The atlas would look down at many other of the mechs from like the Timberwolf to even things like the Summoner and junk it was an imposing sight. Everyone had to look up to one literlly..

The Atlas was always meant to be imposing, but not because of its height. Banshees were taller, and I believe Summoners were more or less on the same level.

#74 Spadio

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMD

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:33 PM

The Stalker is currently held up more by its quirks than its size. Additionally, its weight is in its length not in the forward profile it presents.

Edited by Spadio, 04 July 2015 - 01:35 PM.

#75 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:32 PM

View Posttredmeister, on 04 July 2015 - 12:16 PM, said:

Sadly, a simple re-scale of the model will probably not help much, as it will just be really short.
It would take a re-model to thin the chassis out, and I don't see that happening... :(

Posted Image

I love it!

#76 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:37 PM

View Posttredmeister, on 04 July 2015 - 12:16 PM, said:

Spoiler

But thankfully, scaling 3D models is a 3-vector affair =)

#77 Garou Wolfs Haven

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Indiana

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:54 PM

The Awesome is supposed to be awesomely huge and menacing, maybe the torso should be slimed, at the waist to give it a slightly more V shape. I seem to remember it looking that way in earlier artwork but in this game it just looks fat to me. None the less, while it is lighter than an Atlas it is supposed to look huge and menacing from the cockpit of the Atlas. The same goes for the Mauler once it's introduced.

Till the Stalker and the Dire Wolf was introduced to the board game, the Atlas was supposed to be the biggest and baddest thing on the board but the Awesome was right there with it. Which also means that the Stalker is way too thin.

#78 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:52 PM

i love the awesome, making it smaller would make me unstoppable :) !

dos look like a hug f***ing block though. it looks like its from minecraft!

just fix the leg sizes on the king crab. i get legged so many times, and i put on 70 armor in there

Edited by Windscape, 04 July 2015 - 10:58 PM.

#79 fousek69

• PipPip
  • The Messenger
  • 22 posts
  • LocationShangri La

Posted 05 July 2015 - 01:58 AM

awesome

#80 Zomboyd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Australia...

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:40 AM

while I love that this is getting looked at I feel ALL mechs should be getting rescaled to something more appropriate to their weigh class an how they have been described in lore.

Edited by Zomboyd, 05 July 2015 - 02:40 AM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users