#41 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:28 AM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 13 July 2015 - 10:47 PM, said:

Save for the Timberwolf and Maddog. Those mechs have a good stride.

Timber Wolf has the Cataphract's stride.

Truth be told I haven't been watching the mad dog walk so I'm not sure Though it does most likely recycle another chicken walker's animation.

#42 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:37 AM

View PostTennex, on 14 July 2015 - 05:11 AM, said:

the hunchback isn't significantly taller than any of the 45 tonners, but its a pretty tight mech

Posted Image

Your pixel count is counting horizontal/forward ratios for depth in the form of 3D Space Consumption, aka volume.

Spoiler

Overall pixel density and volume, the Hunchback has more as it rightfully should. It is pretty tight (and I like it for that reason), and the bulk makes up for its lack of height. But as I mentioned in my post, it wasn't at all surprising that any 'mech coming out for the clans is taller than the Hunchback. (Nova should've been shorter though).

(Edit. I'm stealing your graph btw. Who do I give credit to?) (Edit 2: N/m, helps to read the name. Thanks Tarogato for that graph and thanks to you for bringing it to me Tennex.)

Edited by Koniving, 14 July 2015 - 05:44 AM.

#43 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:08 AM

View PostKoniving, on 14 July 2015 - 05:37 AM, said:

Your pixel count is counting horizontal/forward ratios for depth in the form of 3D Space Consumption, aka volume.

Spoiler

Overall pixel density and volume, the Hunchback has more as it rightfully should. It is pretty tight (and I like it for that reason), and the bulk makes up for its lack of height. But as I mentioned in my post, it wasn't at all surprising that any 'mech coming out for the clans is taller than the Hunchback. (Nova should've been shorter though).

(Edit. I'm stealing your graph btw. Who do I give credit to?) (Edit 2: N/m, helps to read the name. Thanks Tarogato for that graph and thanks to you for bringing it to me Tennex.)

The Nova SHOULD be shorter, but it also shouldn't have hips and the ability to torso twist... The Nova's legs are supposed to attach at the same point as the shoulders. Making it a very short and compact mech indeed.

I think it was kind of a necessary evil that it wound up larger. A mech that you couldn't torso twist at all with would be hilariously awful in this game. The same should technically he true of the King Crab, and IIRC, the Locust.

The only way they might have gotten around that, would to be to make the.... Well.... This is tough to describe... It's the mechs torso, but it kind of hangs down on the original, making the torso and cockpit area look like the head of a bird of prey. If it pivoted where it attached to the rest of the chassis, it would give it more usability than no twist at all. Make it a motion like turning your head, rather than twisting your torso. But its range of movement would be limited, and it would probably require a pile of new coding.

Posted Image

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 14 July 2015 - 06:16 AM.

#44 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:55 AM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 14 July 2015 - 06:08 AM, said:

The Nova SHOULD be shorter, but it also shouldn't have hips and the ability to torso twist... The Nova's legs are supposed to attach at the same point as the shoulders. Making it a very short and compact mech indeed.

I think it was kind of a necessary evil that it wound up larger. A mech that you couldn't torso twist at all with would be hilariously awful in this game. The same should technically he true of the King Crab, and IIRC, the Locust.

The only way they might have gotten around that, would to be to make the.... Well.... This is tough to describe... It's the mechs torso, but it kind of hangs down on the original, making the torso and cockpit area look like the head of a bird of prey. If it pivoted where it attached to the rest of the chassis, it would give it more usability than no twist at all. Make it a motion like turning your head, rather than twisting your torso. But its range of movement would be limited, and it would probably require a pile of new coding.

I agree. :D

In a well designed game the lack of torso twist would make it a somewhat different experience, though with lower arm actuators and enough arm range (and the visual nature high visibility of the 'Mech's cockpit) it wouldn't be an issue. And without lower arm actuators, having a firing arc forward and backward (arm/flip) would basically make the disadvantage of no torso twist almost mute.
But for that, well.... :rolleyes: It doesn't need to be said.

(edit: Visual nature wasn't very clear; was referring to the open visibility from the cockpit.)

Edited by Koniving, 14 July 2015 - 06:57 AM.

#45 sCOREscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 859 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:57 AM

Posted Image

Ready? Yes yes yes....ready ready ready !!!! :D

#46 Cranky Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 114 posts
  • LocationHarem of French Poodles

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:59 AM

looking forward to this...hope these mech lives up to the hype.

Please bring back the SPINNING DEATH EBON JAGUAR.....

side note......Atlas also needs 16 Weapon Hardpoint....bring back the KING OF THE BATTLE FIELD.

#47 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:00 AM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 14 July 2015 - 03:25 AM, said:

Hypeception!

Have some Hypeception for your hypeceptions hypeception.

Posted Image

#48 I L L

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:07 AM

Countdown to the countdown, what is this ESPN?

#49 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:45 AM

Makes me sad that i won't be home when it's released... Oh well, at least I took 4 days off from work to play with it : p

#50 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:52 AM

View PostCranky Puppy, on 14 July 2015 - 06:59 AM, said:

looking forward to this...hope these mech lives up to the hype.

Please bring back the SPINNING DEATH EBON JAGUAR.....

side note......Atlas also needs 16 Weapon Hardpoint....bring back the KING OF THE BATTLE FIELD.

The Break Dancing Cauldron Born never got fixed :P They SAID it did, but I still break down all poppin' fresh and fly every time I die.

View PostxDisturbedx, on 14 July 2015 - 07:07 AM, said:

Countdown to the countdown, what is this ESPN?

I imagine the countdown to countdowns will go away once everyone is accustomed to the fact that they have countdowns. It's a nice heqds up right now, when it's still not a given that it will be q thing. This is only the 3rd relewse to have one. I suspect after R2 is donezthe countdown to countdowns will go away.

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 14 July 2015 - 07:45 AM, said:

Makes me sad that i won't be home when it's released... Oh well, at least I took 4 days off from work to play with it : p

Same here XD I took vacation for both halves of Wave III.... Not sure if I should take vacation for IICs yet or not... Got a while to ponder that one.

#51 Templar Dane

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:11 AM

I just saw this. At first I did not realize this was the countdown for the countdown, and thought it was the countdown and that the countdown was 2 days, yesterday.

I R sad now.

#52 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:29 AM

View PostTennex, on 14 July 2015 - 05:16 AM, said:

Its a real shame. They've animated mechs really well before

Posted Image

The body of the mech swings and transfers some of the movement from the legs. The 'ankle' joint bends to so that the feet stay parallel to the ground. The toes curl during the recovery phase. The 'knees' actually articulate being completely stiff. And the foot plants flat on the ground instead, of the heels hitting the ground first.

Can't believe I forgot about the Catapult; that's been my favorite walking animation in the game, partly due to it being the best animation in the game. I'm glad you brought it up. Awesome gif by the way.
Russ has said before that the earlier animations look better because they had more time then. I guess could translate into saying something about their current situation, where quantity>quality.

#53 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:29 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 13 July 2015 - 03:39 PM, said:

Hello MechWarriors!

Are you ready for the Shadow Cat and Arctic Cheetah countdown??
Begins this Wednesday!

Watch today's Instagram post!

Posted Image

I'm loving the preview

#54 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 777 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:54 AM

https://instagram.co...chwarrioronline

First time Ive visited Instagram..

Edited by ExoForce, 14 July 2015 - 08:56 AM.

#55 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:57 AM

The Shadowcat is what gets me through work every day. Almost there!

#56 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:05 AM

Video of a video for the countdown to the countdown.

Delivery method aside, I like the look of the Shadowcat and am eager to give it a go in-game. Won't have nearly the firepower of the Jaguar, but the MASC and jump jets should give it excellent mobility for hit and run. Some of the maps like Mining Facility, HPG and Viridian Bog will be fun with its mix of jump jets, ECM and high mounts for ballistics/energy.

Part of me is sad that you won't be able to energy boat it fully, but the rest of me is actually glad for it. Laser vomit gets old fast.

#57 Zaldier

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:16 AM

Me wants the Cheetah preview :)

#58 Thumper3

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 281 posts
  • LocationTemplar Headquarters

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:29 AM

View Postarmyunit, on 13 July 2015 - 07:03 PM, said:

Yup, they posted some WIP animations of the Shadowcat on their Instagram account:

https://instagram.com/p/4H4leKDPkr/
https://instagram.com/p/4H5tdPDPm6/

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a way for a company to have a central location for all it's information and release previews so that customers didn't have to sign up for, manage, check, and use multiple accounts and services many of which they choose to avoid on purpose?

Oh

Wait....there is......... :rolleyes:

#59 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:45 AM

Please don't make videos by filming a PC monitor.
It's not so hard to download fraps and hit a button.

Also please don't post videos on the moronic instagram where there isn't even a video control.
Somewhere the dumbing down of "generation facebook" should really stop.

Both these points make a VERY, VERY unprofessional impression (and that is the kind, diplomatic phrasing).

#60 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:48 AM

View PostPaigan, on 14 July 2015 - 10:45 AM, said:

Please don't make videos by filming a PC monitor.
It's not so hard to download fraps and hit a button.

Also please don't post videos on the moronic instagram where there isn't even a video control.
Somewhere the dumbing down of "generation facebook" should really stop.

Both these points make a VERY, VERY unprofessional impression (and that is the kind, diplomatic phrasing).

Its just instagram. Its an informal sneak peak. These informal things are easy to do. And are things we would not otherwise see if they had to put in the effort of booting up fraps and editing video etc.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users