92 replies to this topic

#41 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:27 PM

I always thought the Orion was the worst 75t 'mech. Flashman and Marauder are way better.

#42 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:05 PM

I'd say i like the Timerwolf better for aesthetics but i had some mean Orion builds before i got rid of them. If the Orion could mount a clan XL i think the Orion would win against it hands down. I just don't think it looks as pretty as the Timberwolf.

#43 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:16 PM

Orions rank amongst the rarest mechs seen in game.

I doubt enough people own one to say how good or bad it is.

#44 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:31 PM

View PostElizander, on 25 July 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

The overquirked Orion M can reach around 27 DPS and blow through any timberwolf within 270m, but you'd be better off having a good longrange timberwolf pilot overall rather than a cowering close-range orion that hides for 80% of the match.

Even if what you say is possible, which is unlikely, how does that Orion M get within 270 meters when the Timberwolf is going 90 kph.

Edited by Johnny Z, 25 July 2015 - 10:31 PM.

#45 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:47 PM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 25 July 2015 - 09:16 PM, said:

I have my protector mastered from Pre-quirks/Pre-CW. Don't know how they are now since I haven't touched it since the first Clan invasion pack. But then again, my favorites from back then were Thunderbolt, Griffin, Shadowhawk, Protector and Catapult K-2.

But, I was one of the guys that actually liked the original Thunderbolt and did well with them pre-quirks, so /shrug.... Also, even though I have them mastered, my Timberwolf's have been layered with dust since I pressed the button to master the fugly things.

BTW a Protector with 2PPC's and 2 UAC/5's can be quite lethal.

#46 Averen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:31 AM

View PostDAYLEET, on 25 July 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

Because nomather how bad the CT is you always lose a side torso before anything else even with the quirks. It's worse than a hunchy before the quirkening. My VA however has that BOOM YOU JUST DIED alpha strike but i need to get inside 150m and 100 is ideal, and THAT'S not ideal lol.

I personally go for the M variant when I want to do some orion brawling. Basically keeping the head down until I'm close to the enemy, followed by throwing as much **** as possible at him and hoping he doesn't understand what's going on.

As you might expect, it's not particuarly effective. Fun tho, sometimes you can wreck a few enemies.

Edited by Averen, 26 July 2015 - 12:43 AM.

#47 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:34 AM

Lmao, please tell me this thread is a joke

#48 Averen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:40 AM

Orions are actually pretty bad at short range, since the giant CT is a bullet magnet. And if you're using an XL, the left shoulder is also pretty easy to hit.

I found the only actually reliable build to be a V with 2xUAC2 and 2xLL. It's a nice bit of support firepower and the mechs armor actually counts a bit at mid range. Didn't play it for a while, though.

View PostI Zeratul I, on 25 July 2015 - 09:16 PM, said:

Played orions for a very long time, I can tell you it's pretty bad. They could stand their ground against IS mechs before quirks. At that time the armor actually ment something. But now, the range, DPS and alpha mechs bring to the battlefield will easily kill Orions on every range. Not to mention mobility, a slow orion is extremly vulnerable, but most acceptable weaponry needs smaller engines. Or XLs, which currently can be killed in one or two salvos. Not that a XL350 makes the mech agile.

Edited by Averen, 26 July 2015 - 01:10 AM.

#49 RavensScar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:05 AM

Before Clans dropped, I regularly posted 800-1000 damage in my Orions. Got them as soon as they were out for CB and loved 'em. At that time, 72kph, 15 tons of armour and 50+ firepower was pretty lethal.

Since Clans arrived, a 72kph heavy is a liability, and 50 firepower is a joke. The Orion was never OP, but it used to be very capable in the right hands. Like the Cataphract and Catapult, it simply can't compete with Clan heavies.

#50 Gattsus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:24 AM

I like the Orion as muchs as the TBR, though one is clearly more competitive than the other.

#51 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:17 AM

View PostYokiLin, on 25 July 2015 - 06:03 PM, said:

My God Killer can do a bit over 32 dps, with relatively low heat.

Close range:
Timber Wolf? Nothing.
Dire Wolf? Nothing.
Atlas? Dead in 3 seconds.
Locust? I will cry :D

Hey, Yoki!
Care to share this build?
I'll gladly take it on with my brawler wolf ;)

#52 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:24 AM

View PostRavensScar, on 26 July 2015 - 01:05 AM, said:

Before Clans dropped, I regularly posted 800-1000 damage in my Orions. Got them as soon as they were out for CB and loved 'em. At that time, 72kph, 15 tons of armour and 50+ firepower was pretty lethal.

Since Clans arrived, a 72kph heavy is a liability, and 50 firepower is a joke. The Orion was never OP, but it used to be very capable in the right hands. Like the Cataphract and Catapult, it simply can't compete with Clan heavies.

Pretty much this.

Clans RUIN EVERYTHING!
*Shakes fist in an angry fashion*

#53 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:41 AM

Imagine how bad the Orion would be if it sat in the bottom tier of a tonnage class (60 tons like the Dragon/Quickdraw or 80 tons like the Awesome/Gargoyle). It sits at the sweet spot of 75 tons but still manages to be terrible at everything.

#54 Dashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:09 AM

If it wasn't so ugly i would take the orion, i think it will destroy the timber wolf...because nerfs, everything in a timberwolf is RED, unless you elite it it just moves like a barn.

Also an AC20 is 20 direct damage with no spreading, add some srm6 for critical hits on exposed parts and medium pulses or simply meds to fill the gap on the cooldowns.

Don't know what people find so OP about the timber wolf in it's current state.

#55 Jaspbo1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWoah

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:38 AM

Although the Orion is a way inferior 'mech, in this game and in lore, it can be quite mean with a mean build, I'm running on the M Variant 1 LB10X and 2 LPLs, with an XL mind you.

Playing with one of my unit mates and we managed to chase two Mad Cats and a Vulture from the Basement of HPG with these things, people don't like getting shot by the M's UAC LB10X thing fires like no one's business. And the LPLs are icing on the cake.

Sure it's quite rickety, it's Torso is in dire need of hitbox changes or a complete overhaul, but it's still got a kick to it that few 'mechs have. Great at killing people too.

#56 LORD ORION

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:02 AM

View PostYokiLin, on 25 July 2015 - 06:03 PM, said:

My God Killer can do a bit over 32 dps, with relatively low heat.

Close range:
Timber Wolf? Nothing.
Dire Wolf? Nothing.
Atlas? Dead in 3 seconds.
Locust? I will cry :D

Sorry but that is just wrong... the TBR can do a rediculous crap ton of sustained damage at close range if you build it that way. Then you add in the speed, manuverability and jets...

#57 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:24 AM

View PostLORD ORION, on 26 July 2015 - 04:02 AM, said:

Sorry but that is just wrong... the TBR can do a rediculous crap ton of sustained damage at close range if you build it that way. Then you add in the speed, manuverability and jets...

Yes, this is very true. I find that people often forget that Clan is also great at brawling if built that way. ClanTechTM is just marvelous. TBR-C

But in this particular case, I don't know how well can an overquirked IS Mech fare against and equivalent brawling-spec'ed Clan Mech.

#58 LORD ORION

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:30 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 26 July 2015 - 04:24 AM, said:

Yes, this is very true. I find that people often forget that Clan is also great at brawling if built that way. ClanTechTM is just marvelous. TBR-C

But in this particular case, I don't know how well can an overquirked IS Mech fare against and equivalent brawling-spec'ed Clan Mech.

That's still optimized for 12 man fighting... there are dueling mechs that ere just lethal.

The problem the Orion is going to have is being unable ot get a solid hit on a good TBR pilot, and also being hooked in a knife fight.

I've tried because I love the Orion, but it just doesn't compete with a TBR in short range combat.

Edited by LORD ORION, 26 July 2015 - 04:31 AM.

#59 Dashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:47 AM

I counter with this

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2dfc65d2c23d1ce

#60 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:02 AM

View PostDashen, on 26 July 2015 - 04:47 AM, said:

And now people can see why "Clans can't change engines so our weapons should be lighter" is more often than not a weak argument in their defense.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users