Displaying Pilot Skill Rating (Psr)

767 replies to this topic

Poll: Displaying PSR (5463 member(s) have cast votes)

What option do you like the best when displaying PSR Tiers?

1. Full disclosure - All players must display their Tier. (1516 votes [27.78%])

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

2. Opt-in - Players can choose to publicly display their Tier. (3350 votes [61.38%])

Percentage of vote: 61.38%

3. Gun Shy - I don't feel my Tier should be displayed publicly, only visible to me. (592 votes [10.85%])

Percentage of vote: 10.85%

Vote

#41 Dinochrome

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 164 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, Ca.

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:33 PM

Hailz All:

I voted for opt-in, that in my humble opinion lets those who want to display their tier level for whatever reason can. On the other tack, I believe those who choose to, should also have the right to not display their tier level. Best of both worlds, and it gives those want to limit info made public some rights.

• 6 posts

Posted Today, 01:09 PM
Something to think about for those that voted opt-in: If it's opt-in, nobody will display it unless it's tier 1 or 2...in which case players will realize that you're probably mid-low tier.

The above statement is double speak. That's what your elected officials specialize in. LOL

#42 Speedy Plysitkos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:34 PM

nobody ? i display my tier, no matter if its 1,2, or 9000.

#43 GMan129

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 194 posts

any word on roughly the population distribution over the tiers? 20% in each, pyramid, std deviation thing, fkn sin wave...

#44 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

View PostKhujjo, on 19 August 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

I would bet it is mostly people thinking they are in T1 or T2 that want to see everyone's Tier. I personally don't care if mine is bad and ppl talk trash to me, but some people do. I will never back something that is only likely to lead to more bullying of people. I vote opt in, if people want to show it cool, if not don't force them. It is hard for some to understand, but some people actually just play the ******* game for fun.

Id like to know which tier make certain thread, which tier always agree or disagree to something etc. It would be a lot more useful than just knowing how good someone is. Im not stupid enough to think im high tier, i dont play meta loadout on meta mech outside of CW and having fun goes first, that means the next 2 match might be on a 6mg kinbgcrab if it puts a smile on my face when i think about doing it. And yes id like to see how the "gitgug" crowd really are doing :D

#45 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:35 PM

View PostKhujjo, on 19 August 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

I would bet it is mostly people thinking they are in T1 or T2 that want to see everyone's Tier. I personally don't care if mine is bad and ppl talk trash to me, but some people do. I will never back something that is only likely to lead to more bullying of people. I vote opt in, if people want to show it cool, if not don't force them. It is hard for some to understand, but some people actually just play the ******* game for fun.

Not really; I voted for full disclosure and I'm fairly certain I'm 4 or 3 tier (i.e. low-high average). I just want transparency to keep things in perspective.

Edited by Death Proof, 19 August 2015 - 12:35 PM.

#46 Diplomat99

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 33 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Happy to see the poll so fast after the patch. That will calm the nerves of many players. Let's see if the trend of today will carry on...

#47 Philadelphia Collins

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 114 posts
  • LocationCookin some dirty burgers

while I wouldn't have chosen this option I still feel that there should be the option to vote for "no one knows what it is ever"

if the score is only available privately what exactly prevents people from putting it in their public forum signature...

#48 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:36 PM

View PostGMan129, on 19 August 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:

any word on roughly the population distribution over the tiers? 20% in each, pyramid, std deviation thing, fkn sin wave...

will be pyramid model, definetly.

#49 quantaca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

View PostJman5, on 19 August 2015 - 12:16 PM, said:

Instead of an opt-in, I would prefer an opt-out. When it's off by default, only the people who care or want to brag will activate it. When you have an opt-out people who don't care will leave it on.

opt out would indeed be better

#50 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Reasons for "Full disclosure":
- You can easily see if sticking to / supporting a team mate is likely to be a good idea or a suicide run.
- If it's not fully disclosed, the "I always get the tier 5 noobs" whining will get unbearable.

Edited by Paigan, 19 August 2015 - 12:38 PM.

#51 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:37 PM

View PostDeath Proof, on 19 August 2015 - 12:35 PM, said:

Not really; I voted for full disclosure and I'm fairly certain I'm 4 or 3 tier (i.e. low-high average). I just want transparency to keep things in perspective.

This, but im sure, optin will win.

#52 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:37 PM

Always for opt-in/opt-out.

I still think the issue about forums and arguments are overblown (if you can't handle the forum now, I doubt this change improves your argument-logic skills when you spew "I am/You are Tier X" types of responses).

Edited by Deathlike, 19 August 2015 - 12:38 PM.

#53 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:40 PM

• Will Tiers be displayed in the game lobby, so we can see the balance between teams?
  • if the matchmaker fails to successfully balance those teams, is there a penalty for dropping? Will there be tiers for every weight class or every chassis, or every variant?
  • I know that I am much better at Mediums than Assaults, the differences is even greater when comparing my performance between Wolverines and Atlases, there is even considerable differnce between my WVR-6K and WVR-7R capabilities. How will these variances be incorporated into my PSR.
  • Will PSRs be viewable on the forums, or only in-game, and if so will they only be viewable in the players profile, or on their forum badge. And if they are displayed on their forum badge, which PSR will be displayed, the highest, or the average?

#54 amenophis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 272 posts

This should be a personal item only and could then be used be the person as something to use as a goal, sense this game does not have very many individual goal's. Ounce you reach a master rank on any mech there is nothing left (as an example). Any exp. after that is a waste and counts for nothing except to pay more money to convert it to gxp. OOPS! I'm drifting into other things so I'll stop here. (Make it a choice.)

Edited by amenophis, 19 August 2015 - 12:45 PM.

#55 kneuen

Rookie

• 8 posts

As a new player, I'd like to see the ranking for my own edification. I like to try new tactics and would like hard numbers to back up my thoughts on whether those tactics are working. There will definitely be those that try to use the pilot ranking skills to "one up" others, which is fine. The pilot score doesn't even reflect the more dramatic effects of things like modules on mechs. For instance, getting advanced zoom makes a significant difference on spotting targets at range. In addition, I can see people artifically deflating their scores simply to get easier opponents. Disregarding someone's opinion on the forums because they are a lower tier is the height of ignorance. At no point will that score reflect the validity of a pilot's opinion. Also, keep in mind that the lower tier players will not be paired against the higher tier players in a public drop. Higher tier=more challenge. Lower tier=less challenging opponents. The vast majority of players will most likely be in tier 3 (if I can use the law of medians here).

That being said, displaying or not displaying your tier is a personal decision and means nothing about their worth as a pilot.

#56 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:41 PM

maybe , if player choose to show it publicly, im for it, that it could be displayed behind name ingame. What do yo think ?

+ forum, ofc.

Edited by Titannium, 19 August 2015 - 12:42 PM.

#57 Raziberry

• PipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:41 PM

Full disclosure!
I'm tired of getting orders barked at me from someone wondering if they any idea what they're talking about.

#58 Baron von Battlemech

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:42 PM

If I am in a good tier, then I pick full disclosure. If I am in a bad tier, then gun shy

#59 P4riah1

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:43 PM

Really? We want to give the toxic jackholes in this community more and better tools and labels to exclude and denigrate other players?
Players in lower tiers will have their opinions ignored or given lesser value.
Players in high tiers will be able to become even more cliquish, elitist, and snobbish. They already do a pretty good job of it, but give them the official hard numbers for it and the e-peen waving will become legendary.
Players not displaying their tier will automatically be assumed to be low tier and trying to hide it.

We've already seen examples of all of these things in this very thread.

Despite having a somewhat better community than most of the super toxic competitive multiplayer games out there, MWO has its share of community conduct problems. All three of the options of this poll will increase that toxicity problem. If I had a choice, my vote would've been for 'don't show anyone anything' like it is now.

#60 Threndor

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:43 PM

My concern is that this will further enable the 'toxic' members of our community (you know the types I am talking about). These types of players already contribute a large amount to some 'not fun' game play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users