Assault Suggestions?

73 replies to this topic

#21 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:33 PM

Yeah, I'm a LRM user typically. But I like big guns and I cannot lie...you other brothers can't deny...

Nothing wrong with lasers. I have a Jester and it is ALL lasers. But there's something cool about CANNONS. I'm thinking about doing an AC40 build on my K2 at some point, LoL

#22 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:43 PM

The two best LRM assaults are the BLR and the Stalkers plus both do laserblerch very well. The BLR is fast, the Stalker is slow. If you want something that kinda splits the difference but works really well as a tanky little gunbunny, take the Zeus. Speed is life, but it still packs the armor of a Banshee for something smaller than a Victor. Nothing like running 4 LPLs at 75kph.

Edited by Kjudoon, 26 August 2015 - 02:44 PM.

#23 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:05 PM

I 'unno, for missile assualts, I'm rather happy with my Highlanders. Jump jet capacity, gauss or dual ac5s. One build can even dual uac 5, not to mention two to three missile racks on every mech. The highlander is a horrid mess of weaponry.

I like it.

~Leone.

#24 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:03 PM

View PostChados, on 23 August 2015 - 03:56 PM, said:

I'm a Catapult pilot. Decent with the missile Catapults...a laugh a minute with the Jester and K2. When I'm not accidentally shooting my own people in the back by accident, I'm getting focused down in seconds. But I'm determined to learn how to use direct fire weapons amd get in there and brawl. I want to tank, as that's been my favorite role in every game I've played. LRMs are a blast but you can't tank without getting in and mixing it up.

Had a decent match with the Australians in HPG just now where I was doing pretty good til a Direwolf backed me into a corner and I forgot I had jump jets :P

Edited to add that I've mastered the Catapult A1C and fully elited the C1 and C4.

Odd. I really like the K2 and Jester. The Jester got some decent quirks for lasers, and my 2ERLL/4MPL build runs pretty cool on Caustic Valley (per Testing Grounds). That's running at nearly 90 kph, and with JJs. The thing is pretty beast.

If you're wanting to go to an assault, that's tough. My recommendations are KGC or STK. The former for being more brawly and commanding everyone's attention (which can also be bad, if you're not comfy being focused). The latter more for fire support, though the AC/20 Misery is a pretty wild machine. Either can be outfitted with OBSCENE firepower, carries plenty of armor. If you like missiles or sniping, go STK. If you just want to ram yourself down your enemies' throats, get crabby.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you get a TALL assault mech like HGN or AS7. Too easy to hit, too slow to do anything about it. Just my $.02, but the lower silhouette of the two I recommended makes a lot of difference to me. AS7 is both tall AND wide, and it's just a nightmare bullet magnet. Sure, it's a 100-ton mech with a 100-ton mech's armor, but that gets shredded pretty quickly.

If you're looking for a Clan assault, it's the whale. "... SO much room for ACTIVITIES!" Barely bigger than a TBR in the sights, but 1/3 more tonnage to work with for the heaviest of heavy weapons. They're brutal. If you want an assault-class tank, that's the one.

#25 Critta

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:25 AM

If you're a fan of ballistics, you can't go far wrong with the King Crab.

Either dual ac20's with large lasers as backups or quad uac/5 builds are both a lot of fun :)

#26 Chados

• 1,948 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:31 AM

There's a KGC sale on....maybe I can talk Beloved Hubby into a KGC-000....

#27 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:33 AM

Mmmm if you are going to by 100 tons of metal and weapons... Gotta love dat crabbeh patteh.

Snip snip go de claws.

#28 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:46 AM

View PostChados, on 28 August 2015 - 02:31 AM, said:

When it comes to assaults, you can't go wrong with the crab.

#29 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:12 AM

That sets loose my fantasy....how does a female Mechwarrior talk her Hubby into buying her a new fancy....stomping destructive murderous huge deathmachine Robot thingy..... :mellow:

Chados you bad bad girl. ;)

#30 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:02 AM

Sadly, the sale's for the MC price only. If the c-bill price had dropped for the sale as well, I would have bought one already.

#31 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:29 PM

Yeah, the King crab is one I've been thinking about for a while too, but when it came time to try an assualt, I'd already enjoyed the hitboxes of the Banshee trial, so I went that route. King Crabs never seem as tanky as a banshee when I see em, probably because of that huge torso, and the fact they are missile sponges, but one thing I do know is, they can carry even more ballistics than my vaunted BNC-3E.

I would not consider them a poor choice at all.

~Leone.

#32 Nakamura Takeshi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 177 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:26 PM

To be honest I'm loving the Highlander, I am about to Master it right now. I love the extra mobility of jump jets, Gauss rifle, 2 - 3 lasers (LL or ERLL), with some LRM's or SRM's. Yes it's slow and ugly (I don't use the XL's) but it grew on me. Just know your role and play it well (stay in the group).

#33 The Mighty Gible

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:40 PM

It's really damn expensive, but I've had a lot of success with a dual Gauss + dual ERLL KGC-0000 with an XL360 engine. Yeah, it's not front-line tanky, but at anything over 600 meters it can work with cover to be tough enough, and pinpoint alpha striking for all but full damage at 700 meters tends to be pretty effective. You need to be comfy with low&wide arm mounts though.

As for the KGC as a whole, it's a mix of solid firepower with just the right amount of toughness to tank a fair number of hits with a standard engine. Works best if you can avoid being the center of everyone's attention until the right moment. Surprise crab is best crab. Also, while it isn't all that fast, the KGC does have great torso twist quirks so it doesn't feel quite so cumbersome, and it makes it pretty forgiving to torso twist with (although it tanks with its side torsos and not the arms). Honestly, apart from the top speed and sheer size, I usually don't feel much of a difference between it and, say, my Ebon Jaguar, especially since they have a similar hardpoint layout.

For brawling, it has a really solid set of hardpoints, with small but appropriate quirks for them. It carries big guns like no other, but the KGC-0000 in particular can make pretty good use of any variety of laser or missile as well. Also, personal opinion, but I think it is the best looking thing on the battlefield, bar none.

Disadvantages of the 'crab, though: as I mentioned, it won't arm shield, so even while twisting vigorously you'll more or less be spreading damage over your torso only. I've never lost just an arm in the KGC (armor quirks help), but most games where I survive I only have one pincer left because the other came off with the side torso (Gauss+XL version notwithstanding). So, for pure damage soaking abilities, you might want to look elsewhere. Also, it's incredibly vulnerable to missiles and airstrikes, having no ECM and a massive top profile. AMS can mitigate it, but you'll lose valuable tonnage for weaponry. And yes, if your drop is tonnage-restricted and you really need the best tank-for-the-buck, the 'crab's 100 tons are not going to do you any good.

But, if you want to roll with the assaults and blast the biggest possible holes in things, the 'crab will do it in style.

Edited by The Mighty Gible, 28 August 2015 - 06:58 PM.

#34 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:58 PM

View PostNakamura Takeshi, on 28 August 2015 - 03:26 PM, said:

To be honest I'm loving the Highlander, I am about to Master it right now. I love the extra mobility of jump jets, Gauss rifle, 2 - 3 lasers (LL or ERLL), with some LRM's or SRM's. Yes it's slow and ugly (I don't use the XL's) but it grew on me. Just know your role and play it well (stay in the group).

The Highlander is one of the most ignored, and underrated assaults, partly because of the JJ nerf, which it hasn't fully recovered from. However, I love it's loadouts. I hate that it can't really dead side at all.

View PostThe Mighty Gible, on 28 August 2015 - 06:40 PM, said:

It's really damn expensive, but I've had a lot of success with a dual Gauss + dual ERLL KGC-0000 with an XL360 engine. Yeah, it's not front-line tanky, but at anything over 600 meters it can work with cover to be tough enough, and pinpoint alpha striking for all but full damage at 700 meters tends to be pretty effective. You need to be comfy with low&wide arm mounts though.

As for the KGC itself, it's a mix of solid firepower with just the right amount of toughness to tank a fair number of hits with a standard engine. Works best if you can avoid being the center of everyone's attention until the right moment. Surprise crab is best crab. Also, while it isn't all that fast, the KGC does have great torso twist quirks so it doesn't feel quite so cumbersome, and it makes it pretty forgiving to torso twist with (although it tanks with its side torsos and not the arms). Honestly, apart from the top speed and sheer size, I usually don't feel much of a difference between it and, say, my Ebon Jaguar, especially since they have a similar hardpoint layout.

For brawling, it has a really solid set of hardpoints, with small but appropriate quirks for them. It carries big guns like no other, but the KGC-0000 in particular can make pretty good use of any variety of laser or missile as well. Also, personal opinion, but I think it is the best looking thing on the battlefield, bar none.

Disadvantages of the 'crab, though: as I mentioned, it won't arm shield, so even while twisting vigorously you'll more or less be spreading damage over your torso only. I've never lost just an arm in the KGC (armor quirks help), but most games where I survive I only have one pincer left because the other came off with the side torso (Gauss+XL version notwithstanding). So, for pure damage soaking abilities, you might want to look elsewhere. Also, it's incredibly vulnerable to missiles and airstrikes, having no ECM and a massive top profile. AMS can mitigate it, but you'll lose valuable tonnage for weaponry. And yes, if your drop is tonnage-restricted and you really need the best tank-for-the-buck, the 'crab's 100 tons are not going to do you any good.

But, if you want to roll with the assaults and blast the biggest possible holes in things, the 'crab will do it in style.

I ran mine with an XL 340 I had laying around, and used ERPPCs my self, toast as all get out, but like you said, if it's within 600 meters, it's having a very bad day. (actually, considering my aim with ERPPCs, if it's within 800 meters, it's having a very bad day.)

#35 The Mighty Gible

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:07 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 28 August 2015 - 06:58 PM, said:

I ran mine with an XL 340 I had laying around, and used ERPPCs my self, toast as all get out, but like you said, if it's within 600 meters, it's having a very bad day. (actually, considering my aim with ERPPCs, if it's within 800 meters, it's having a very bad day.)

I actually still have to switch them from Ferro to Endo, which'll get me a few more tons, so I might switch to PPCs as well. I mean, they're basically the laser man's ballistics, right?

#36 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:17 PM

My suggestion is very simple:

1: If Team A caps team B's base, Team B can kill all of Team A, and re-cap their base, provided they do it within the 15 minute game time. If they pull it off (which would be tough) it would at least be an opportunity to win and wouldn't break up the momentum of the fight if one team caps.

#37 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:29 PM

View PostThe Mighty Gible, on 28 August 2015 - 07:07 PM, said:

I actually still have to switch them from Ferro to Endo, which'll get me a few more tons, so I might switch to PPCs as well. I mean, they're basically the laser man's ballistics, right?

Pretty much, yeah. One of the most annoying things about the KGC variants, is removing FF. The PPCs are pretty much AC 10s without ammo needs, but hot as all get out. I ran it with ERPPCs before they got their speed buff, so regular PPCs might be worth using instead, since they save you on heat. I do hate their range though.

#38 The Mighty Gible

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:15 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 28 August 2015 - 07:29 PM, said:

I ran it with ERPPCs before they got their speed buff, so regular PPCs might be worth using instead, since they save you on heat. I do hate their range though.

For a Quad UAC/5 'crab, regular PPCs make for a pretty deadly combo at medium ranges. ERPPCs would be a better fit with a gauss build, I think, since gauss rifles produce virtually no heat and can also hit targets at extreme range. For a short-range AC/20 build, wubs or medium lasers coupled with some SRMs probably produce better range synergy, but that would be useless at anything past 400 meters.

At this rate I might end up writing a noob's guide to the King Crab ;)

Edited by The Mighty Gible, 28 August 2015 - 08:15 PM.

#39 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:38 AM

View PostThe Mighty Gible, on 28 August 2015 - 08:15 PM, said:

For a Quad UAC/5 'crab, regular PPCs make for a pretty deadly combo at medium ranges. ERPPCs would be a better fit with a gauss build, I think, since gauss rifles produce virtually no heat and can also hit targets at extreme range. For a short-range AC/20 build, wubs or medium lasers coupled with some SRMs probably produce better range synergy, but that would be useless at anything past 400 meters.

At this rate I might end up writing a noob's guide to the King Crab ;)

Well, here are the builds I used. Consider this, the TL;DR version for your guide, should you write it.

1- 2xGauss Rifle + 2xERPPC

2- 4xAC5 2xAC2 (it's a MEAN build. I always apologize when dropping in it. Since it basically sends my enemies to screenshake central)

3- 2xAC 20+ 4 SRM4s + 4MLs

4- 4xLRM 15s + 3MLs+TAG (we all have that moment when we want to troll around)

5- 1xAC20 + 4xASRM6s + 3ML/MPLs

6- 6xAC2s + 2/3LLs

7- 4x UAC5s (you can add lasers if you want, but I just put the UACs, and packed so much ammo I could destroy half the ammo in my explosion)

I can't say any one of them was ever dull for me. The 2 Gauss one felt very powerful, so after a while I changed that into the 4xAC5+2xAC2 build.

Seismic Sensor, Radar Deprivation, and Target Info Gathering are your best friends. Advanced zoom is a must have on the Gauss builds.

#40 Chados

• 1,948 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:53 AM

IW-

How do you feel about BAP as opposed to Target Info Gathering? I know there is a weight/crit penalty for the BAP but it's ECM-debuff abilities make it a must-carry bit of kit on my missile Catapults.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users