News

68 replies to this topic

#21 Farnsworthiness

• PipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:07 AM

I just wanted to echo what Taynak has put forward. I've had very good luck running MWO in Linux on a daily basis. Currently running Gnome in Ubuntu 15.04 and the latest beta of Codeweavers. Had some glitching in Fedora, but overall, Ubuntu has been very good to me. Works great for Steam too.

#22 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:00 AM

Thanks, will look into this. Having alternatives is always good. Being forced to upgrade to 10 is not something I'm happy with.

#23 Farnsworthiness

• PipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:00 PM

The forced upgrade to 10 is what pushed me back to Linux. Super happy and not going back to Windows any time soon.

#24 Ericthecmh

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:40 PM

Just wanted to throw in a thank you for the post. I was really surprised to find how easy it was to get MWO running perfectly on my Arch install.

I actually didn't have to any additional steps. I just opened the CrossTie file, installed, ran the patcher (it was already 32 bit even though I'm on a 64 bit system), and started running the game! Didn't have to mess with wine configuration at all.

I'm also actually able to get it running on my discrete graphics card (I have a NVidia optimus setup, intel + nvidia 960M using closed source drivers). I installed bumblebee and the primus backend. It works flawlessly.

Thank you!

#25 Starjack

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:41 PM

After reading the thread, and after a lot of pressure from my friends to come back, I picked up the trial Crossover Office. I followed the instructions in the first post (excepting the "force 32-bit" section), and MWO works. It plays about the same as it does on Windows. I decided to pay for CXOffice in order to give a little back to the community and because I can use it for a lot of other things. Then I went and spent money on the Archer package. That was an expensive afternoon.

Running OpenSuse Tumbleweed, kernel 4.6.0-1-default #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed May 25 07:44:54 UTC 2016 (d89346f) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Now, the important question - anyone got fire control working under Linux yet? I need my AC/2 dakka!

#26 Daflibble

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:28 AM

Thanks for the good information.
I've messed about with MWO and wine before resulting in much frustration and little game time.

I might just rebuild a Linux box again to see if I can get this working. It would be fun, as main reason I don't use Linux more (other than I get paid to support windows platform devices) is the games I want to play just don't work well enough on it.

#27 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:31 AM

Interesting.

What is the performance like on Linux vs Windows?

I assume there is a performance cost in running a native Windows app under a Linux/WINE environment?

#28 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:48 PM

Good job OP. I'm looking to buy new gaming machine next year and knowing I'm not stuck to use windows for mwo rocks.
Posted Image

#29 Hellraiser2k1

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:52 AM

it works on my xps 13 arch linux notebook but 15 fps and when the match has finished loading it has already started for 30 seconds.

ok it has a core i5 with onboard graphics.

Edited by Hellraiser2k1, 12 November 2016 - 08:53 AM.

#30 a gaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:46 PM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but this post really should be stickied.

#31 QuaxDerBruchpilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 319 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:46 AM

SInce this thread is only half a year old, I think I might find some help here: I tried to install MWO as described by the OP, but when selecting the pacakge in Crossover, crossover tells me

<Die Installationsdatei 'steam://install/342200' kann nicht gelesen werden.>, which translates to
<the installation file 'steam://install/342200' cannot be read>

Does this mean running MWO on linux works only when you bought the game over steam?

I put the link into the browser directly, and steam told me "MWO is not available on your current platform".

Has anyone experienced this problem, too?

#32 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:13 PM

View PostQuaxDerBruchpilot, on 03 July 2017 - 07:46 AM, said:

SInce this thread is only half a year old, I think I might find some help here: I tried to install MWO as described by the OP, but when selecting the pacakge in Crossover, crossover tells me

<Die Installationsdatei 'steam://install/342200' kann nicht gelesen werden.>, which translates to
<the installation file 'steam://install/342200' cannot be read>

Does this mean running MWO on linux works only when you bought the game over steam?

I put the link into the browser directly, and steam told me "MWO is not available on your current platform".

Has anyone experienced this problem, too?

The Crossover installer works for me, so long as it's the old launcher. The new 'portal' doesn't work for me, and as Steam uses the latest build, it's probably using the Portal. I've also only used the standalone install file, outside of Steam.

#33 QuaxDerBruchpilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 319 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:45 AM

Dakaface, how did you "just use the standalone install file"? I don't intend to use steam anyway, however when opening the MWO install file from Codeweavers Homepage, it automatically is looking for the steam file ... resulting in said error message.

#34 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:49 AM

I have an installation of MWO installed on top of clean 32 bit wine-staging from the standalone installer and the old launcher works just fine. Portal worked during early Skill Tree Public Test, but has crashed due to insufficient memory since.

Only relevant overrides are mscoree and msxml set to native. I suspect the game would also work on 64bit but I haven't bothered to go trough the hassle of transferring my installation to a 64bit prefix yet.

There is absolutely no reason to jump trough extra hoops with additional tools, since current version of MWO runs on top of clean wine with just dotnet from the installer and possibly msxml from winetricks.

#35 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:00 AM

View PostQuaxDerBruchpilot, on 26 July 2017 - 03:45 AM, said:

Dakaface, how did you "just use the standalone install file"? I don't intend to use steam anyway, however when opening the MWO install file from Codeweavers Homepage, it automatically is looking for the steam file ... resulting in said error message.

Don't install it from the website. Open the program Crossover, and click Install Windows Software. Then type Mech, and pick Mechwarrior Online. It should give you an option to choose your installer after you pick MWO from the list. The options listed are Steam, download the launcher from the web, or pick a local file or folder to install from. Pick download from the web, or manually download the original launcher here, and pick it as the local file to use.

#36 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:43 AM

Anyone using this in 2018? I've just got it running via Lutris for the most part, but sadly it does crash every now and again. Is the method in this thread still working?1

#37 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 06 September 2018 - 12:29 PM

View PostJon Gotham, on 18 June 2018 - 02:43 AM, said:

Anyone using this in 2018? I've just got it running via Lutris for the most part, but sadly it does crash every now and again. Is the method in this thread still working?1

Sadly, not. Ever since the old launcher was retired and PGI moved exclusively to the Portal, I've not been able to get MWO working. Both Lutris, PlayOnLinux, and Crossover have failed me. Trying to run MWO through Steam's new Proton compatibility layer got me the closest - the game would launch the login screen, but it'd lock up once the cinematics finished.

#38 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:04 PM

I got in via Lutris, couldn't remember now the specifics it ran but not very well...

#39 Phyrce

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:25 PM

Good to see an alternative, though i think Proton through steam play when it matures will be even easier than this set up process.

EDIT: Holy necro, just realized this is three years old.

Edited by Phyrce, 06 September 2018 - 02:26 PM.

#40 VaudeVillain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:49 PM

With the advances in Wine and the DXVK project, it's worth talking about again because when MWO works, it plays well. But, it would be nice if PGI lent a hand because right now the Steam version on Proton and the regular Wine version tends to crash shortly after the Nvidia screen. Every once in a while it goes beyond that and works for a while.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users