68 replies to this topic

#41 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:07 PM

View PostVaudeVillain, on 13 September 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

With the advances in Wine and the DXVK project, it's worth talking about again because when MWO works, it plays well. But, it would be nice if PGI lent a hand because right now the Steam version on Proton and the regular Wine version tends to crash shortly after the Nvidia screen. Every once in a while it goes beyond that and works for a while.

i dont think they can because of their license agreement with ms. they cant support linux in any way. which is a shame. if i could get mwo to run on linux i wouldnt be using windows (to be fair there are still one or two programs i use that also dont work in wine).

#42 Grinster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 101 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:49 AM

View PostJon Gotham, on 18 June 2018 - 02:43 AM, said:

Anyone using this in 2018? I've just got it running via Lutris for the most part, but sadly it does crash every now and again. Is the method in this thread still working?1

I ran it on Linux under Crossover for a just over a year, starting in January 2016. It worked fine with Crossover v15. There were intermitent issues where it stopped responding to keyboard presses, turning my mech into a turrelt!. June 2017 I ran it OK in Crossiover v17 beta. Following a MWO patch in Apil 2017 it generally failed to complete the program load from steam.

I tried a new Crossover v18 beta but MWO fails to install during .Net Framework 4.5.2 install.

wine-devel and winetricks foo may be a better route but that is an effort I do not have cycles for.

#43 DanDlion

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:15 PM

Hi< I came across this today,,, where are we with this? This is awesome please tell me your still working on this!!

#44 Andy1791

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 05:23 AM

I have mwo working in Linux, with wine 5 (mwo-patch apllied),
on a Ryzen3600X / Radeon RX590.
It runs quite well in full hd (most of the time >= 45 fps), but all video settings are set to 'low', and "dx9".

If you are not familiar with this "patching": you have to compile wine by yourself (see winehq for compile instructions...).

winetricks as mentioned by somebody else before (MANY thanks for that work, also the mwo-patch!):
vcrun2010 32+64 bit, dotnet40, d3dx9_43, d3dx11_43,
dinput, directplay, dsound, flash,
msxml3, msxml4, msxml6,
quartz, corefonts

wine configured to "Windows 7", full screen

Have fun.

#45 Angelwolf

Rookie

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 03:56 PM

I got this running under Steam with a (custom) Proton build. Seems to work flawlessly and is very easy to set up - great performance in high settings and resolutions!

First:
1) Install Steam.
2) From inside Steam, from the options at the top left: Steam > Settings.
3) In the settings window > Steam Play. Tick Enable Steam Play for Supported Titles and Enable Steam Play for all other titles.
4) Download and install Mechwarrior Online from inside Steam.

Then:
1) Exit Steam (if running)
2) Open terminal
3) Terminal Commands:
mkdir ~/.steam/root/compatibilitytools.d

wget https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/releases/download/5.2-GE-2/Proton-5.2-GE-2.tar.gz

tar -C ~/.steam/root/compatibilitytools.d -zxvf Proton-5.2-GE-2.tar.gz

Close terminal

Lastly:
1) Start steam and from the Steam Library, right click on Mechwarrior Online and select Properties.
2) Click Set Launch Options and use
%command% -noprompt -anygpu

3) Tick Force the use of a specific Steam Compatibility Tool and select Proton-5.2-GE-2 from the list.

Notes:
This assumes you have Wine, Wine Tricks and DXVK installed. They should be available in the repository/software store for your distro - if you're having trouble, it's probably because you simply haven't installed one or more of these.

Edited by Angelwolf, 16 June 2020 - 04:00 PM.

#46 ThatGuy539

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 372 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:38 PM

View PostAngelwolf, on 16 June 2020 - 03:56 PM, said:

I got this running under Steam with a (custom) Proton build. Seems to work flawlessly and is very easy to set up - great performance in high settings and resolutions!

First:
1) Install Steam.
2) From inside Steam, from the options at the top left: Steam > Settings.
3) In the settings window > Steam Play. Tick Enable Steam Play for Supported Titles and Enable Steam Play for all other titles.
4) Download and install Mechwarrior Online from inside Steam.

Then:
1) Exit Steam (if running)
2) Open terminal
3) Terminal Commands:
mkdir ~/.steam/root/compatibilitytools.d

wget https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/releases/download/5.2-GE-2/Proton-5.2-GE-2.tar.gz

tar -C ~/.steam/root/compatibilitytools.d -zxvf Proton-5.2-GE-2.tar.gz

Close terminal

Lastly:
1) Start steam and from the Steam Library, right click on Mechwarrior Online and select Properties.
2) Click Set Launch Options and use
%command% -noprompt -anygpu

3) Tick Force the use of a specific Steam Compatibility Tool and select Proton-5.2-GE-2 from the list.

Notes:
This assumes you have Wine, Wine Tricks and DXVK installed. They should be available in the repository/software store for your distro - if you're having trouble, it's probably because you simply haven't installed one or more of these.

Awesome!
I just put together a new gaming PC...like today. This time I decided to go with Linux instead of Windows. Screw Bill Gates and Microsoft. However, I've been finding it slow going getting some games to work. Even had thoughts of going back to Windows. But like everything it's just a matter of doing some research....and some time. In this case your info worked great, and just in time too. Been playing MWO with the guys every Friday and Saturday night for the last 7 or 8 years. Really wanted to get this up and running for tomorrow night. :)
Thanks Angelwolf!

#47 kilgor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 346 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 06:45 AM

Here's other intructions to get it working on Steam with Linux now as even the current Experimental version doesn't work with MWO, so you have to use the Proton Glorius Eggroll version.

1. In the Steam application, go to Settings -> Steam Play and check the box to Enable Steam Play for all other titles as this will give you the ability to install MWO.
2. Download the latest Proton Glorious Eggroll edition from
https://github.com/G...custom/releases
3. Extract the .tar file. (using Ubuntu, I just right-click and select Extract Here) As of today, the latest is Proton-6.0-GE-1
4. In Home/.steam/steam create a folder called compatibilitytools.d
5. Copy the extracted folder to Home/.steam/steam/compatibilitytools.d
6. Exit and restart Steam
7. In Steam, right-click Mechwarrior Online and click Properties.
8. Click the Compatibility tab and check the box for Force the use of a Specific Steam play compatibility tool. You should see something Proton-6.0.GE-1 (or whatever version you copied to the compatibilitytools.d folder), so select the latest on you have.
9. Launch Mechwarrior Online and you should be good to go.

This also works with other newer games as well, so is a good resource to try if none of the regular Proton versions work.

Installing Wine Staging on Ubuntu
https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

Edited by kilgor, 24 January 2021 - 07:12 AM.

#48 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 06:54 AM

View Postkilgor, on 24 January 2021 - 06:45 AM, said:

Here's the way to get it working on Steam with Linux now as even the current Experimental version doesn't work with MWO, so you have to use the Proton Glorius Eggroll version.

The patch needed to make MWO work risks breaking other software, since it relies on implementing an obscure bug that MWO can't work without, so I'm honestly surprised its included in a generic build like the GE. Its typically been only included in builds spesific to running MWO to avoid issues with other software.

#49 kilgor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 346 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 11:06 AM

I remember having to find a WINE build that supported MWO outside of Steam, but the previous 5.21 and 6.0 Glorius Egroll versions have both worked fine. I wish PGI would update the engine and include native Linux support, but that's just wishful thinking.

#50 Dr Wubs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:34 PM

What graphics card are you using?

#51 kilgor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 346 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 05:40 AM

I'm using a Geforce 1660 Super.

#52 GoodVindicator

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:34 PM

Im playing on ancient PC and old proton GE version 5.6-GE-2 gives me best FPS.

#53 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 29 March 2021 - 12:30 AM

View Postkilgor, on 24 January 2021 - 06:45 AM, said:

use the Proton Glorius Eggroll version.

That's the winner. I'd long given up on MWO, but I was installing Glorious Eggroll for a different game and saw it listed in the games with specific patches. No issues at all thus far.

#54 GhostlyBosun

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 02:54 AM

MWO has actually been the easiest game for me to get working. Been playing for the last year or so. I use Glorious Egg roll and it seems to just work. FPS seems fine but I am monitor (TV) limited. 3600x, 5700xt. Ubuntu and Solus have both worked. One update killed it on Ubuntu but it was fixed within a week... Can't say the same for Red Dead Online.
If you are on Linux don't be shy about trying it out. My Linux capabilities are pretty much copy and paste so if I can do it, you can.

#55 Corbantu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 11:10 AM

Is this all still relevant? I'm thinking of changing my OS from windows 7 to Linux mint, but trying to get more insight on what games I can keep playing.

#56 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 12:16 AM

View PostCorbantu, on 24 March 2022 - 11:10 AM, said:

Is this all still relevant? I'm thinking of changing my OS from windows 7 to Linux mint, but trying to get more insight on what games I can keep playing.

Yes. MWO works trough Steam after you install Proton GE version for it.

#57 tartan tardigrade

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 01:11 AM

duh !
Am I missing something?
Why are games not in MS, GNU Linux and Apple OS's ?
Are not compilers capable of compiling too both?
Are games companies terrified somebody will lift their code?
So many questions . . .

#58 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 01:27 AM

View Postartybartfart, on 25 March 2022 - 01:11 AM, said:

duh !
Am I missing something?
Why are games not in MS, GNU Linux and Apple OS's ?
Are not compilers capable of compiling too both?
Are games companies terrified somebody will lift their code?
So many questions . . .

Porting is complicated since kernel calls are different and furthermore there are differences in basic things such as whether a filesystem is case sensitive or case insensitive, and interfaces such as common graphics layers have been a very recent development and there still aren't proper common audio layers.

Modern engines such as Unreal Engine and Unity do make crossplatform support much easier nowadays by including these things, and after Steam became available on Linux and Mac multiplatform games HAVE become increasingly common. Roughly half of my Steam games library, maybe more, consists of Linux native games, the rest runs via Proton.

Edited by Gagis, 25 March 2022 - 01:28 AM.

#59 tartan tardigrade

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 03:33 AM

View PostGagis, on 25 March 2022 - 01:27 AM, said:

Porting is complicated since kernel calls are different and furthermore there are differences in basic things such as whether a filesystem is case sensitive or case insensitive, and interfaces such as common graphics layers have been a very recent development and there still aren't proper common audio layers.

Modern engines such as Unreal Engine and Unity do make crossplatform support much easier nowadays by including these things, and after Steam became available on Linux and Mac multiplatform games HAVE become increasingly common. Roughly half of my Steam games library, maybe more, consists of Linux native games, the rest runs via Proton.

Thank you . . . I'm sure it's more complicated than I believe.

#60 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 04:15 AM

Can somebody tell me about the performance under Linux/Win?

I really like working with Linux, but to play on it.. haven't looked into that for years, maybe I should retry?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users