• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 04:56 AM

View Postartybartfart, on 25 March 2022 - 01:11 AM, said:

duh !
Am I missing something?
Why are games not in MS, GNU Linux and Apple OS's ?
Are not compilers capable of compiling too both?
Are games companies terrified somebody will lift their code?
So many questions . . .

1. probibly

2. because cross compiling is its own can of worms, you must also either choose apis available to all platforms or write abstraction code to merge a bunch of different interfaces into a similar set of calls (usually with heavy use of preprocessor directives). a big problem is microsoft because almost every api they create was intended from the ground up to be a windows only thing. the lockout is real. in the olden days it was amazing what you could do with just sdl, opengl (or vulkan) and a couple other multiplatform libraries. in the day of rent an engine, the game engines actually support as many platforms as possible out of the box, but not all game companies want to pay for linux support because employees who know linux well are expensive (and the same goes with apple oses which are unix based).

3. gcc is. visual studio, maybe, idk. i prefer gcc so i dont have to deal with visual studio's crap. i think it can cross compile to windows, et all, provided there is support for the libraries you are using. the c++ version of my game engine can compile for either just fine. but im not using any proprietary or single platform libs.

4. yea probibly. they also have to defend their copywrites. in pgi's case the ip is owned by microsoft, and part of the arrangement to make games for the ip, pgi had to do windows only. this is more a legal department matter than a programming matter. i think pgi managed to convince ms to let mw5 be ported to consoles other than xbox, but ms platforms got priority. the mechwarrior franchise is really a thorn in my side keeping me from doing the hard switch to linux. most of my other games are in fact supported by linux. the big problem is everything i need has to work on the same distro/kernel version.

Edited by LordNothing, 25 March 2022 - 05:15 AM.

#62 Dread Priestess Shakira

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 March 2022 - 01:40 PM

My friend runs MWO on the PopOS! Distro of Linux. I imagine Drauger OS would be another good candidate, but have not tried it. He also use Wine, DXVK, and I believe Crossover of not more. The only consistent issue being Solaris City really hurts his frame rate (he always complains on that map despite t e a 3060 GPU lol). I'm not doing this first hand myself, but this post from earlier sounds like a legit step by step setup for at least the distro mentioned, if not Pop OS which I want to say is Debian based, but I can't recall.

First:
1) Install Steam.
2) From inside Steam, from the options at the top left: Steam > Settings.
3) In the settings window > Steam Play. Tick Enable Steam Play for Supported Titles and Enable Steam Play for all other titles.
4) Download and install Mechwarrior Online from inside Steam.

Then:
1) Exit Steam (if running)
2) Open terminal
3) Terminal Commands:
mkdir ~/.steam/root/compatibilitytools.d

wget https://github.com/G...5.2-GE-2.tar.gz

tar -C ~/.steam/root/compatibilitytools.d -zxvf Proton-5.2-GE-2.tar.gz

Close terminal

Lastly:
1) Start steam and from the Steam Library, right click on Mechwarrior Online and select Properties.
2) Click Set Launch Options and use
%command% -noprompt -anygpu

3) Tick Force the use of a specific Steam Compatibility Tool and select Proton-5.2-GE-2 from the list.

Notes:
This assumes you have Wine, Wine Tricks and DXVK installed. They should be available in the repository/software store for your distro - if you're having trouble, it's probably because you simply haven't installed one or more of these.

#63 tartan tardigrade

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 01:32 AM

Okay . . . Okay
so I am now running MWO through steam using proton compatibility tools and the game is now running with faster fps than it was under windows. At this rate I may have to delete my windows partition (for games) and give the space over to my linux partition. I haven't run any benchmarks yet but I think its running cooler too, my old GTX 1050 Ti Mobile seems to spin my fans up less.

#64 Goedmaker

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 March 2022 - 10:50 AM

View Postartybartfart, on 30 March 2022 - 01:32 AM, said:

Okay . . . Okay
so I am now running MWO through steam using proton compatibility tools and the game is now running with faster fps than it was under windows. At this rate I may have to delete my windows partition (for games) and give the space over to my linux partition. I haven't run any benchmarks yet but I think its running cooler too, my old GTX 1050 Ti Mobile seems to spin my fans up less.

I have been playing MWO for about a year now on Linux (Ubuntu) and haven't had much issue. And I think I've been noticing the same thing as you, some games that I used to play on Windows seem to run better on Linux even through Proton/WINE. I can't test it myself since I uninstalled Windows but I know some people have done tests recently that showed Linux giving better performance than Windows in some games.

#65 Corbantu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 08:01 AM

I switched to Linux, game doesn't work anymore :-(

Keep getting an unexpected error popup and the game crashes. That's if I can even get into the game, a lot of times I cannot even get pass the launch window.

Anyone familiar with these issues?

Edited by Corbantu, 12 April 2022 - 08:02 AM.

#66 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 09:14 PM

View PostCorbantu, on 12 April 2022 - 08:01 AM, said:

I switched to Linux, game doesn't work anymore :-(

Keep getting an unexpected error popup and the game crashes. That's if I can even get into the game, a lot of times I cannot even get pass the launch window.

Anyone familiar with these issues?

Sounds like you need a version of wine or proton patched for MWO support. Proton GE has it: https://github.com/G...roton-ge-custom

MWO relies upon a version of some C++ library, boost maybe?, that has a bug in some function. If that bug is not found, MWO crashes. You need an implementation broken in the right way to make it work. Mainline versions of compatibility tools obviously can't include it just to make one game work.

Edited by Gagis, 12 April 2022 - 09:15 PM.

#67 Corbantu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 06:50 AM

View PostGagis, on 12 April 2022 - 09:14 PM, said:

Sounds like you need a version of wine or proton patched for MWO support. Proton GE has it: https://github.com/G...roton-ge-custom

MWO relies upon a version of some C++ library, boost maybe?, that has a bug in some function. If that bug is not found, MWO crashes. You need an implementation broken in the right way to make it work. Mainline versions of compatibility tools obviously can't include it just to make one game work.

Unfortunately I won't be able to tell you if any of that worked, my solution was to just re-install Windows.

Funny thing is, every other game worked except this one and this is the one game I wanted to play.

#68 KaptinOrk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 08:13 AM

I'm running MWO on Steam in Linux, specifically Lubuntu 20.04 LTS. It's running in compatibility mode in Steam using a version Proton Glorious Eggroll (GE), I can look when I get home from work. It runs perfectly on my low/mid tier machine, I stay between 50-60 FPS on lower settings unless I'm getting spammed with RACs or LRMs.

#69 OldGrayDonkey

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 93 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 August 2022 - 03:08 PM

Just thought I'd drop my configuration since most are discussing Steam and Proton. It was crashing randomly on the regular runners and then found this thread.

I use Steam to keep it up to date, but from there I run MWO through Lutris. I used the "lutris-GE-Proton7-24-x86_64" runner with the MWOClient.exe as the program and it came right up, following the hint from KaptinOrk that the 'GE' might be the key, and it appears it was.

Now if only I knew how to play Posted Image

Edited by OldGrayDonkey, 17 August 2022 - 03:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users