Forum Moderation

42 replies to this topic

#41 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:58 AM

"have you ever seen other game forums from this one? (I'd like to ask because I'd like to hear if you have before continuing my explanation)"

Sure. I've been gaming for over 15 years. Everything from MWL (Neuromancer) to DDO. I've been a MW league admin myself. So I understand how it works and the games people play with it.

This is different for me because of the recent GamerGate-SJW and Redit CEO drama. I am here to play a game, not be politically indoctrinated, or censored when I push back against being politically indoctrinated. Why any company would want to stick their toe in that water is beyond me. Keep the politics out of our gaming.

Edited by Fenrisulvyn, 03 September 2015 - 10:58 AM.

#42 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:28 AM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 03 September 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

Sure. I've been gaming for over 15 years. Everything from MWL (Neuromancer) to DDO. I've been a MW league admin myself. So I understand how it works and the games people play with it.

This is different for me because of the recent GamerGate-SJW and Redit CEO drama. I am here to play a game, not be politically indoctrinated, or censored when I push back against being politically indoctrinated. Why any company would want to stick their toe in that water is beyond me. Keep the politics out of our gaming.

Think of it moreover as to the "Why" of it. Why was that thread made? Because someone decided to. But did we know it was going to be political? No, we didn't. We didn't ask for it, others did, and so it happened.

And if you're here to play a game, play it! This however, is not playing a game, this, in general, is the discussion of the game, that other thread where you were suppressed was based on lore, and on other topics that were not made to be touched on, were not about the game.

The forums are made for constructive talk, not the other, and is should be easily understandable.

Yes, there is a off-topic area for such things, but regardless, it violates the CoC and is thus removed.

And going back to before, not everyone is perfect.

#43 John Wolf

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 347 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:56 AM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 03 September 2015 - 09:36 AM, said:

Thanks John. I contacted Tina about it in May and got a response last week. Russ knows too but has not responded. I think the nicest way I can put it is that, while I understand the need to stick up for your people, the response I received did not address my concerns and felt like boilerplate.

And that's fine. People can have a reasonable disagreement. But I hope you understand that can't enable what I consider abusive moderation by supporting PGI financially. I was a new player and a paying customer. I don't know how $100 a month figures into your business model, it may even be considered negligible by you guys. But you've lost me. And over something relatively silly - forum moderation of a political thread.

I think its something you might want to look at more closely, as I am not the only one, just the most stubborn ;)

Clear Fields

Fenris, We take great care in making sure all of the moderators handle themselves properly and that nobody is being mistreated. And I am sorry if you have been in the past. However, if you've already escalated to Tina and gotten a response keep that conversation in PMs where it can be addressed by the people who have influence in that area.

I have personally had complaints come through the report system about how I may have mishandled a situation according to someone's point of view (was likely the poster), and I set those to staff so they can review as necessary. Infact I had one particular moderation that I can recall reversed, and when I was spoken to about it I agreed that I had moderated too harshly due to a misconception of the post. After the reversal by the GM and subsequent GM contact to the player, I also contacted the player to apologize even though I was not required, nor asked to. I did so because it was the right thing to do, and that's all I have tried to do on the forums as a volunteer moderator. The right thing.

Road to hell and all that.. but we put one foot in front of the other just like everyone else.

We're here to help.

John

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users