#81 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:38 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 06 September 2015 - 01:07 PM, said:

No offense, but that's got to be the single worst suggestion I've ever heard here on these forums. Take an already dwindling player population and slash it even further. Brilliant. Might as well just shut the game down completely in that event.

Kinda like adding PvE to a PvP game.

Limiting Unit sizes?

Choosing what Units you drop against?

Going backward years and limiting the number of people you can drop with?

Adding more drop filters to extend wait times more.

None of these horrible idea will further slash the playerbase?

No, the worse thing happening to this game is the solo player mentality forcing a group and team focused game modes to be solo only game with a option to play with others, but only up to the amount that non group players tell you.

Non team focused players are the worse thing that can happen to a team focused game and the DEVs listening to them.

#82 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:50 PM

View PostCathy, on 06 September 2015 - 01:38 PM, said:

if you noticed I winked at the end

As to PvE in this game, the new project that PGI has fingers in names forgotten, by the bunch that did shadow run, is going to be PvE so I doubt that this platform will have a real PvE mode.

The writing is on the wall for this title there isn't enough of a player base for two games of this franchise, and many here will flock to the new game, for varying reasons.

You mean the Battletech game helmed by Jordan Weisman of Harebrained Schemes, with the kickstarter planned for the month of October, and not to be released until the first quarter of 2017?

Also Catalyst Game Labs will be a part of that venture, they'll be the ones providing the rules and all that, PGI is just giving them their MWO art assets.

You know something, you're right about one thing though, there will in all likelihood be a mass exodus from MWO to the new game, and frankly I'll be among them, MWO is stale and boring as hell right now, and I think it needs a good slap across the face to wake up.

This new game will hopefully do just that.

#83 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:54 PM

View PostcSand, on 06 September 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

I'll be honest I always thought the game would have been better if it just took place in the wars between the IS houses and didn't have the clans... but I don't mind the clams now they're here either

pretty much how I feel, still the new title is set around 3026, so many anti clan will I guess be off to play that, when, if, it get's off the ground

Edited by Cathy, 06 September 2015 - 01:54 PM.

#84 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:03 PM

View PostCathy, on 06 September 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

pretty much how I feel, still the new title is set around 3026, so many anti clan will I guess be off to play that, when, if, it get's off the ground

I have no doubt it'll get off the ground, what with the entire fan base of CGL behind it, since CGL worked very closely with HBS on their Shadowrun Returns series, it's a sure thing, the only question is how many extra features will they be able to add to the game when the month-long kickstarter campaign is over.

I'm hoping they get enough to add in options for Company-sized units, as well as AeroTech, Tanks and other Vehicles... Maybe even Dropships.

#85 Crixus316

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:19 PM

View PostYellonet, on 06 September 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

Clan mechs have a place in the game, but currently the top clan mechs are unquestionably the best mechs in every class.
That is not balance.
I only want an option to exclude myself from playing with or against clan mechs, because for several reasons explained above I think that would make a more fun game for me.

What you want is a IS only queue, because your belief that Clans are OP. What's next. A IS queue without Thunderbolts, Stalker 4Ns, Dragon1N, etc. If your losing to a Timberwolf, you will most likely lose to a TBolt.

Good players learn from their losses, and become better players. Bad players expect PGI to hold their hand and make an easy mode for them.

View PostYellonet, on 06 September 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

I do not want to change anything for those that want to play with clan mechs.

Your idea affects everyone by creating longer queue times.

#86 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:03 PM

View PostMr Bigglesworth, on 06 September 2015 - 02:19 PM, said:

What you want is a IS only queue, because your belief that Clans are OP. What's next. A IS queue without Thunderbolts, Stalker 4Ns, Dragon1N, etc. If your losing to a Timberwolf, you will most likely lose to a TBolt.

Good players learn from their losses, and become better players. Bad players expect PGI to hold their hand and make an easy mode for them.

Your idea affects everyone by creating longer queue times.

Umm... I hate to say it, but Clan mechs are OP. They can hit you harder, and at further ranges compared to IS mechs.

There are god-damn few IS mechs that can laser puke as good as the Clan mechs can. The TBolt being one of them.

So, you're saying, if you were a new player, and you came in with some trial mech, lets say a Raven, and you got picked apart by a Clan mech from outside your effective range, you wouldn't throw your hands up and say "Screw this shite", and immediately uninstall the game?

I don't know where you get your delusions laser brain.

If the proper IS vs Clan balance mechanism actually worked in this game, i.e. 12 v 10, then maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion. But, it doesn't, therefore, we are.

You have to look at this idea from all angles, not just the "CLAM OP" one.

Now, you clearly did not go back and look at the first post I made in this thread, so I will summarize for you.

A player completes the new "Academy" tutorial, let's say that by this time PGI has expanded it somewhat and gives the player a 3-mech gift of their choice, lets say they pick a Jenner. A pretty good mech from what I've seen of them. The game could then recommend that the player choose a set of filter options. "North American Server, Skirmish Mode, IS Only" for example.

Yes, this is a very limited filter set, BUT, it would allow the player to have a much better shot at a fair game, than if they were thrown to the wolves, ended up in, oh, I don't know, Assault mode against a 12-man Clanner ROFLSTOMPER.

That player, if they were in an IS Only queue, yes, would inevitably run into a laser vomit Bolt, but, they would hopefully be with other mechs of similar build methodology to be able to fight fairly against said Bolt.

Now, let's go back to the 12-man Clanner ROFLSTOMPERs... That Jenner, with no skills invested in it, would be absolute cannon fodder against, oh, let's say a Dual-Guass Whale. The Jenner gets taken out within seconds of even SEEING the enemy.

That player is likely to throw up his arms in disgust, swear a string at the TV (if they are a younger player, this may also lead to the parent getting involved, and that's a whole other can of worms), and, if they're old enough to think coherently about game balance, wonder why a game company would allow a new player to come up against a mech that he has absolutely zero chance against, and they may likely uninstall the game and find something else.

That's money PGI just lost because of the balance/skill gap.

That's not good business sense.

If you can't see my point now, completely hypothetical it may be is beside the point, then eventually, if MWO does get onto Steam, this particular event will at some point, play out, and more than once... And then word will get out, more people will leave the game, etc etc...

I don't think I should have to explain where this will eventually end, do I?

Edited by Alan Davion, 06 September 2015 - 03:07 PM.

#87 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:29 PM

What you want is a IS only queue, because your belief that Clans are OP.
Yes.

What's next. A IS queue without Thunderbolts, Stalker 4Ns, Dragon1N, etc.
No.

If your losing to a Timberwolf, you will most likely lose to a TBolt.
Yes, I always lose against some mechs, but never against some other mechs, now I want to remove every mech I lose against so that I always win.... are you saying that will not work? :o :o :rolleyes:

Yes...?

The thing that you apparently do not understand is that I, and possibly many others, would like to play mechwarrior where the pilot is by far the most important factor in winning. As it is now, certain mechs are so powerful that a mediocre pilot can do very well against very good pilots in lesser mechs. If you can admit that the top clan mechs are better than the top IS mechs it logically follows that the team with most good clan mechs will have an advantage.

#88 Crixus316

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:31 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 06 September 2015 - 03:03 PM, said:

Umm... I hate to say it, but Clan mechs are OP. They can hit you harder, and at further ranges compared to IS mechs.

There are god-damn few IS mechs that can laser puke as good as the Clan mechs can. The TBolt being one of them.

So, you're saying, if you were a new player, and you came in with some trial mech, lets say a Raven, and you got picked apart by a Clan mech from outside your effective range, you wouldn't throw your hands up and say "Screw this shite", and immediately uninstall the game?

I don't know where you get your delusions laser brain.

If the proper IS vs Clan balance mechanism actually worked in this game, i.e. 12 v 10, then maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion. But, it doesn't, therefore, we are.

You have to look at this idea from all angles, not just the "CLAM OP" one.

Now, you clearly did not go back and look at the first post I made in this thread, so I will summarize for you.

A player completes the new "Academy" tutorial, let's say that by this time PGI has expanded it somewhat and gives the player a 3-mech gift of their choice, lets say they pick a Jenner. A pretty good mech from what I've seen of them. The game could then recommend that the player choose a set of filter options. "North American Server, Skirmish Mode, IS Only" for example.

Yes, this is a very limited filter set, BUT, it would allow the player to have a much better shot at a fair game, than if they were thrown to the wolves, ended up in, oh, I don't know, Assault mode against a 12-man Clanner ROFLSTOMPER.

That player, if they were in an IS Only queue, yes, would inevitably run into a laser vomit Bolt, but, they would hopefully be with other mechs of similar build methodology to be able to fight fairly against said Bolt.

Now, let's go back to the 12-man Clanner ROFLSTOMPERs... That Jenner, with no skills invested in it, would be absolute cannon fodder against, oh, let's say a Dual-Guass Whale. The Jenner gets taken out within seconds of even SEEING the enemy.

That player is likely to throw up his arms in disgust, swear a string at the TV (if they are a younger player, this may also lead to the parent getting involved, and that's a whole other can of worms), and, if they're old enough to think coherently about game balance, wonder why a game company would allow a new player to come up against a mech that he has absolutely zero chance against, and they may likely uninstall the game and find something else.

That's money PGI just lost because of the balance/skill gap.

That's not good business sense.

If you can't see my point now, completely hypothetical it may be is beside the point, then eventually, if MWO does get onto Steam, this particular event will at some point, play out, and more than once... And then word will get out, more people will leave the game, etc etc...

I don't think I should have to explain where this will eventually end, do I?

Posted Image

Please show us, where did the evil OP clan mech touch you,

#89 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:35 PM

well most feel(up intil recently) IS Ballistics are Superior,
with Ballistic implementation i feel they are pretty balanced now,
AC vs C-AC is more a Preference on which you think is better,

Missiles are still a wash,
IS are heavier but hit in a volley making them much more likely to land more hits,
Clan are lighter but stream makes long travel time longer and AMS eats C-LRMs for Breakfast, :)

Lasers are abit of an Odd position,
Clan do more damage longer range but longer duration and heat,
Is do abit less damage and have shorter range but shorter duration and less heat,
the debate can go on forever on which is better or if they are balanced,

i think its up to how people perceive these weapons, same with mechs(ACH/FS9) :)
(No PGI as well as Players have Tested their Hit Boxed(Good HitBoxes) =/= (Broken HitBoxes)

#90 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:36 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 06 September 2015 - 06:30 AM, said:

Let's take it down a notch there pal. Go back and look at my earlier post and you'll see that it's actually a way to improve a players skill more than a "take away the scary OP clan mechs" button.

If you still don't believe me after reading my earlier post... Well then I pity you.

I wasn't around for the introduction of the clans, but from what I've heard from people that were there, PGI or IGP, I don't know which, apparently said that the 10v12 model was simply impossible to implement with the matchmaker system they use.

Apparently there was a test of this at some point and it completely broke the system, putting 12 on one side and 4 or 8 on the other side, not the required 10.

That is actually just a myth.
All what they said is that would take few weeks of work on MM.

And that they are noobs and they don`t believe in ASYMMETRICAL BALANCE. Editing xml files adding idiot quirks are way easier then actually code and work on something. So they did SYMMETRICAL UNBALANCE instead.
I was actually in game play test 10v12 for them, and as far as I know, everyone was happy with asymmetrical game play balance.

But the right number is 10v16 anyway.
Tested in 5v8 settings in Stock by us. Best games ever.

#91 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:37 PM

View PostYellonet, on 06 September 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

The thing that you apparently do not understand is that I, and possibly many others, would like to play mechwarrior where the pilot is by far the most important factor in winning.

So... you want to play Counter Strike?

#92 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:38 PM

View PostMr Bigglesworth, on 06 September 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

Please show us, where did the evil OP clan mech touch you,

If that was an attempt at humor... You failed miserably.

You also did not provide any context what-so-ever, such as armor value or just overall build for the mech, so I can only assume that you are just being foolish. Go back and get an actual build screen and/or end of game screen, then we'll talk.

I would say we'll talk like men, but you've yet to prove you are capable of that level of intelligence.

I'm also severely tempted to report you, referencing sexual assault is not cool in any way, shape or form.

#93 Crixus316

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:42 PM

View PostYellonet, on 06 September 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

As it is now, certain mechs are so powerful that a mediocre pilot can do very well against very good pilots in lesser mechs.

And here's your biggest problem. You believe clan mechs are so OP they cannot be beaten.

Here is a little tip for you and Alan. Spend less time whining on the forums and more time playing. I was in a CW match against KCOM last night. Apparently someone forgot to tell them their IS mechs were under powered. Maybe you could show them how a true forum warrior plays.

#94 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:59 PM

Clanners just says same biased munchkin BS since the beginning.

#95 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:02 PM

View PostMr Bigglesworth, on 06 September 2015 - 03:42 PM, said:

And here's your biggest problem. You believe clan mechs are so OP they cannot be beaten.

Here is a little tip for you and Alan. Spend less time whining on the forums and more time playing. I was in a CW match against KCOM last night. Apparently someone forgot to tell them their IS mechs were under powered. Maybe you could show them how a true forum warrior plays.

Yeah, you see, your first mistake there was assuming I give a rat's butt about CW, because I don't. That mode is not worth playing, and my entire unit feels the same seeing as we've not touched CW for the last 3 months.

So, going from there, I've never heard of KCOM because I don't play a game mode that is not worth playing.

Also, don't start with me about what percentage of my time I spend on the forums compared to the game. I suffer from a severely debilitating illness IRL, so about 60 to 75% of the time I am curled up in excruciating pain, unable to properly play the game.

So, I have little choice but to spend more time on the forums than in the game in some instances.

#96 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:06 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 06 September 2015 - 03:37 PM, said:

So... you want to play Counter Strike?

Yes, but with robot skins. It's my mission to turn MWO into CS with mech skins.

Edited by Yellonet, 06 September 2015 - 04:06 PM.

#97 SolarCleric

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:18 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 06 September 2015 - 02:03 PM, said:

I have no doubt it'll get off the ground, what with the entire fan base of CGL behind it, since CGL worked very closely with HBS on their Shadowrun Returns series, it's a sure thing, the only question is how many extra features will they be able to add to the game when the month-long kickstarter campaign is over.

I'm hoping they get enough to add in options for Company-sized units, as well as AeroTech, Tanks and other Vehicles... Maybe even Dropships.

You forgot to ask for Proto-Mechs and Elemental units...come on man! Give those mech flamers something to toast since the trees and buildings seem impervious!

#98 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:21 PM

View PostMr Bigglesworth, on 06 September 2015 - 03:42 PM, said:

Wow.... I really LOLed :D

I'm having a difficult time controlling my urge to insult your intelligence, but I'll refrain from that right now.
In several posts you've shown that you apparently read things from my texts that just isn't there.
I do NOT believe that Clan mechs are unbeatable, nor have I written anything of the sort.

I believe that the best clan mechs are all the best mechs in each respective class, and that's really not as much belief as it is commonly agreed upon fact.

As to the "advice" you're giving, certainly you are a god at MWO as you can give advice like that to someone else whose skill you know nothing about.

Edited by Yellonet, 06 September 2015 - 04:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users