209 replies to this topic

#181 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:39 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 June 2016 - 07:35 AM, said:

Odds became 100% certainty once he locked the channel with non-stop hate speech invective..

Nope. The server can still go down even with a voip troll.

But way to miss the actual issues at hand, I guess?

Or did I just not comment on them?

#182 BigBenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 571 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:54 AM

"breaking the meta" will be impossible unless two things happen: First, PGI needs to address the lack of penalty in terms of boating a weapon of one type. A mech with all lasers is the most obvious "meta" mech there is. The second "meta" mech is one that is all loaded with SRM's or S-SRM's. I've yet to see a mech loaded up with LRM's or ballistics be "meta", they both have their inherent weaknesses otherwise we'd be seeing far more of them. Sure, certain few mechs can take quad AC5's and be devastating, but how often is that? The easiest way for PGI to address the boating of the same weapon type is to INCREASE drastically the heat penalty (aka "ghost heat") for mechs that use weapons of the same type. Lower the number of LL's to 2, ML's to 4, and SL to 5. For SRM's, lower the number to 2. ENCOURAGE chain fire or designated group fire, and discourage alpha strikes. Mechs that reply on massed weapons of the same type (Wolfhounds, Black Knights, etc etc), can be quirked up a bit, but not much.

Secondly, another adjustment is needed in terms of weapon balance. Lasers in particular need a bit of a nerf. Lengthen the duration slightly or the cool down time slightly. Heat, at least on an individual basis, is fine, imo.

Tertiary- there are a host of mechs that receive NOTHING in terms of a quirk for a single weapon that is iconic to their image. Case in point: Warhammer -6R. Why not give it a major range buff for the SRM6? Or give the Highlander armed with gauss a major gauss specific cool down quirk? Etc Etc. I strongly believe that some mechs are left in the hanger because they dont lend to boated weapons and instead rely on "combined arms" to prevail. Those combined arms mechs are what PGI should want on the playing field, not mechs consistently with the same boated weapons.

#183 YourSaviorLegion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSpace The Final Frontier

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:58 AM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 07 June 2016 - 06:15 AM, said:

Been sitting on this one for a long time.

Now imagine this in every single match, on top of the TKing.

Sits down, opens in new tab, rubs hand together, sips coffee, hits play button

Edit: (Post video) Spit coffee onto screen, died of laughter

Edited by YourSaviorLegion, 07 June 2016 - 08:02 AM.

#184 Alan Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:15 AM

View PostBigBenn, on 07 June 2016 - 07:54 AM, said:

"breaking the meta" will be impossible unless two things happen: First, PGI needs to address the lack of penalty in terms of boating a weapon of one type. A mech with all lasers is the most obvious "meta" mech there is. The second "meta" mech is one that is all loaded with SRM's or S-SRM's. I've yet to see a mech loaded up with LRM's or ballistics be "meta", they both have their inherent weaknesses otherwise we'd be seeing far more of them. Sure, certain few mechs can take quad AC5's and be devastating, but how often is that? The easiest way for PGI to address the boating of the same weapon type is to INCREASE drastically the heat penalty (aka "ghost heat") for mechs that use weapons of the same type. Lower the number of LL's to 2, ML's to 4, and SL to 5. For SRM's, lower the number to 2. ENCOURAGE chain fire or designated group fire, and discourage alpha strikes. Mechs that reply on massed weapons of the same type (Wolfhounds, Black Knights, etc etc), can be quirked up a bit, but not much.

Secondly, another adjustment is needed in terms of weapon balance. Lasers in particular need a bit of a nerf. Lengthen the duration slightly or the cool down time slightly. Heat, at least on an individual basis, is fine, imo.

Tertiary- there are a host of mechs that receive NOTHING in terms of a quirk for a single weapon that is iconic to their image. Case in point: Warhammer -6R. Why not give it a major range buff for the SRM6? Or give the Highlander armed with gauss a major gauss specific cool down quirk? Etc Etc. I strongly believe that some mechs are left in the hanger because they dont lend to boated weapons and instead rely on "combined arms" to prevail. Those combined arms mechs are what PGI should want on the playing field, not mechs consistently with the same boated weapons.

Problem is, that the laser meta crowd always cry foul anytime something attempts to disrupt their easy-mode gameplay.

The InfoWar PTS laser range nerf is the only example I can really think of, granted that had literally everyone up in arms, not just the meta-humper crowd, that kind of thing was just stupid and whoever came up with it should be ashamed.

The Ghost Heat 2.0 "Power Draw" mechanic was supposed to address the failings of the current ghost heat system, but that's either been put on the back burner or abandoned altogether. Which it is we don't know until we hear from Russ or someone else in authority at PGI.

As to your comments about specific mechs and specific weapons, the last mech I really know of that tried something like that was the Grid Iron Hunchback which with its quirks allowed the Gauss to fire as fast as an AC2 just about, which quite frankly is just ridiculous.

The biggest problem I feel there is with the heat system is that the heat takes too long to be delivered with some weapons compared to others. Heat from lasers takes much longer to be fully delivered than say, AC weapons.

I often talk about how MW2/Mercs had a much better heat system because, quite frankly it did. Part of that was due to the more limited game technology back then, but part of it was also due to the fact that the game followed core Battletech rules almost to a T.

All weapons delivered their heat instantaneously, especially lasers, and because lasers fired in bolts, which was also how they fired in the novels at the time, you could fire them faster than you can fire lasers in MWO currently, but at the same time you also racked up your heat really quickly, and if you weren't careful you could get into some serious trouble.

Another factor was, the override wasn't a simple toggle like it is here, you got several warnings about the reactor shut down and you had to override all of them... Which of course if you overrode your shutdown 2 or 3 times, by that point you'd reached the end of the heat scale and your mech tended to just blow up right then and there.

On the flip side though, there were a few weapons in MW2/Mercs that... Quite frankly were laughable in terms of how pathetic they were. The PPC and the Gauss specifically. People think the PPCs travel slow in MWO? Go back and play MW2/Mercs, PPCs traveled 10 times slower in that game, and Gauss wasn't much better, it didn't travel quite as slowly, but it was still way slower than it is in MWO.

Those weapons were relegated to fights within about 100-150 meters because of how slow they traveled, where as any other weapon could reach out to easily 500 meters if you aimed right, even small lasers, which can only reach, what? 200-something meters in this game at max range?

On a completely different topic, why, why, why, do you have to sign into the MWO forums 3-4 times a freaking day? Seriously, literally every other forum I've been a part of you can stay logged in for weeks at a freaking time, but not here? That needs fixing more than anything else IMO.

#185 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:23 AM

View PostUltimax, on 07 June 2016 - 07:09 AM, said:

It's not Stalinism, it's moderation of a forum for a privately owned game.

We have no rights here, there is no such thing as freedom of "speech" here.

So what? We can't complain about the rules of a forum because that's just the way things are?

#186 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:27 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 07 June 2016 - 08:23 AM, said:

So what? We can't complain about the rules of a forum because that's just the way things are?

Considering you signed a contract when you agreed to download and install this game?

If they don't want you complaining, you already agreed to that.

That isn't to say I necessarily like or agree with it, but those User Agreement and Terms of Service are contracts.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 07 June 2016 - 08:28 AM.

#187 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:33 AM

haha that guy is like the walking and talking personification of salty *** pug lord

#188 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:36 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 07 June 2016 - 08:27 AM, said:

Considering you signed a contract when you agreed to download and install this game?

If they don't want you complaining, you already agreed to that.

That isn't to say I necessarily like or agree with it, but those User Agreement and Terms of Service are contracts.

Yes I believe we've established this. But that doesn't mean we can't question the mods' actions.

I think some of you believe I'm tying to defend the OP. I'm not. The guy is a delusional scumbag who seems to think all of his dysfunctional relationships are the fault of others.

I'm talking about civil conversation on this board. A different topic I should have started a different thread for.

#189 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:37 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 07 June 2016 - 07:19 AM, said:

XL on an Atlas... just no

Gauss, XL atlas, no less

This is why I try to restrict myself to PUG LIFE
It gets the point across, with less toxicity, and an amusing mental image.

#190 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:41 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 07 June 2016 - 08:37 AM, said:

Gauss, XL atlas, no less

Wise. I've been unusually salty lately and feel bad about it. Perhaps I'll borrow your line.

#191 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:50 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 07 June 2016 - 08:23 AM, said:

Do you remember creating your account?

Posted Image

https://mwomercs.com/terms

https://mwomercs.com/conduct

Does that answer your question?

#192 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:03 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 07 June 2016 - 08:37 AM, said:

Posted Image

#193 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:10 AM

View PostUltimax, on 07 June 2016 - 08:50 AM, said:

Do you remember creating your account?

Posted Image

https://mwomercs.com/terms

https://mwomercs.com/conduct

Does that answer your question?

Posted Image

I'm sure many others did as well.

Still that does nothing to stop anyone from suggesting reasonable improvements to the CoC. Nor should it.

#194 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:17 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 07 June 2016 - 09:10 AM, said:

I'm sure many others did as well.

Still that does nothing to stop anyone from suggesting reasonable improvements to the CoC. Nor should it.

You mean except of course if you moderated for doing those things.

What "reasonable improvements" are you talking about? You think someone should be allowed to post an 18 minute tirade full of profanity after being banned for being toxic?

That's not a "reasonable" suggestion, that is the textbook case for why things like the Terms and CoC even exist in the first place.

#195 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:30 AM

View PostUltimax, on 07 June 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

You mean except of course if you moderated for doing those things.

What "reasonable improvements" are you talking about? You think someone should be allowed to post an 18 minute tirade full of profanity after being banned for being toxic?

That's not a "reasonable" suggestion, that is the textbook case for why things like the Terms and CoC even exist in the first place.

I'm going to assume you didn't read the part where I said the OP's posting requires moderation rather than take it as you being purposefully obtuse.

No, there is a line between acceptable posting and not. If you've ever been a mod you know what it is. Racial slurs, threats, spam, etc.

My beef is when people are having a discussion about a MWO topic. Person A gets into a heated argument with Person B, and even though nothing more than snarky jabs are made, Person A can complain to the mods about the posts he/she doesn't like and the mod will edit a whole thread just to prevent hurt feelings.

Edited by dervishx5, 07 June 2016 - 09:31 AM.

#196 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:43 AM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 07 June 2016 - 06:15 AM, said:

Been sitting on this one for a long time.

Now imagine this in every single match, on top of the TKing.

Red team had 2-3 UAV's in full view for near to a minute.

That's somewhat offensive.

Failing to shoot down UAV's is self destructive, toxic, team killing, behavior and should result in banning(this is meant sarcastically btw).

Posted Image

Blue Team: Are you calling us pu$$ies, Kris?
Kristian Radoulov: Yes, I am u pu$$ies.
Blue Team: Like they say bro, you are what you eat.

Posted Image

Edited by I Zeratul I, 07 June 2016 - 09:47 AM.

#197 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:50 AM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 07 June 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

Red team had 2-3 UAV's in full view for near to a minute.

That's somewhat offensive.

Failing to shoot down UAV's is self destructive, toxic, team killing, behavior and should result in banning(this is meant sarcastically btw).

Posted Image

Blue Team: Are you calling us pu$$ies, Kris?
Kristian Radoulov: Yes, I am u pu$$ies.
Blue Team: Like they say bro, you are what you eat.

Posted Image

that might explain why Kristian could be such a *Richard Cameron* then.....

#198 TKSax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:54 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 07 June 2016 - 07:15 AM, said:

I don't know, given what I've heard about the saltiness of the MWO Reddiots, he should fit right in there like a pig in shite.

You have heard wrong, at least about /r/outreach it is not "salty" at all, even r/mwo since steam launch is better.

Edited by TKSax, 07 June 2016 - 10:06 AM.

#199 DarthHias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:09 AM

Thread is getting better by the minute. Posted Image

View PostAlan Davion, on 07 June 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

Problem is, that the laser meta crowd always cry foul anytime something attempts to disrupt their easy-mode gameplay.

I hate to break it to you, but Laser and Gaussvomit are nowhere near as prelevant as a year ago. You can PPFLD just nicely, which also happens to be a good counter to Laser vomit if you can shoot and twist. You can also SRM Brawl very effectively. Laser vomit still works but it is no longer THE playstyle. Even a lowly puger as myself noted that meta change Posted Image

#200 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:29 AM

Only one thing upsets me in this thread:

We've been asking for a proper pink color since ******* forever and what does PGI do?

GIVES IT TO THE BANNED PLAYERS, IS THIS SUPPOSED TO BE FUNNY?

J/K

Edited by Sjorpha, 07 June 2016 - 10:29 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users