Minimap Big Thread (Threads Will Be Merged)

717 replies to this topic

#21 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:17 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 20 June 2016 - 01:00 AM, said:

Pros for new mini-map...

You missed one additional plus for the new mini-map!

With the way the old mini-map rotated, there was no way to effectively narrow down a mech within a grid square. You could say, "Kodiak in D3," however D3 is ******* HUGE! Is it on the hill where D3 and E3 intersect? Down in the valley in the middle of D3? There was absolutely no way to know. That's WHY we have locations like, "Saddle," "Radio Tower," or just simply..."Theta."

Some extremely popular spots get names that most players can recognize, but there's more than just a few key positions on most maps, leaving many spots unknown to the vast majority of players. For example, on Tourmaline Desert, would casual solo queue players know what the hell I'm talking about if I call, "4 mechs on CSJ hill?" No, they wouldn't, however I bet you almost any comp player would know the exact spot I'm calling out, because it's been called that by most comp teams ever since...you guessed it...CSJ camped on that hill.

This new mini-map gives us the ability to call not just grid locations, but keypad breakdowns of those locations. Now, instead of saying, "Kodiak in D4," which could be any number of locations within the D4 grid space, you can say, "Kodiak in D4, keypad 9," which narrows the location of that mech into the upper most right corner of D4, giving a much clearer picture that most players should be able to understand and utilize to their advantage.

Edited by Aresye, 20 June 2016 - 01:20 AM.

#22 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:25 AM

View PostAresye, on 20 June 2016 - 01:17 AM, said:

No, they wouldn't, however I bet you almost any comp player would know the exact spot I'm calling out, because it's been called that by most comp teams ever since...you guessed it...CSJ camped on that hill.

Hmmm, I've never heard that before. But I'm sure it's one of three hills that I can think of. E3, F7, or H4?

#23 RedDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:36 AM

Don't worry. That's part of the new information warfare. See, you have to struggle to obtain any information from the minimap. Information warfare. You get it? Posted Image

#24 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:50 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 20 June 2016 - 01:13 AM, said:

And you think the new full scale map will make pugs realise where the assaults are? mostlikely not. And if they get swarme don the other side of the map they realise it now and will still not change anythign at the outcome. At elats they cna see now how the little blue arrows of those assaults disappear and mourn their loss.
yes that may be good stuff, however it the heta of the battle the newbies won't ebenfit from this while the non newbies voip it out faster and more effiicent.

I have no doubt that MWO players will b*tch and moan about pugs until the day this game is shut down. No amount of new features will change that. Did VOIP create magical teamwork in every match? No. Did it help? Yes. Will the command wheel fix bad teams in MWO? No. Will it help? Yes.

Just like it has helped in countless other games. Which is why it is a feature in countless other games. The whole "pugs are gonna pug" argument is just silly. Obviously, things can be done to improve the situation, even though it will never be perfect.

View PostLily from animove, on 20 June 2016 - 01:13 AM, said:

Oh no thats what we think, but at the moment look at many situatiosn when a team pushes together toght its already in zoomed in mode just a furry ball or red. now you really think you can identify light medium heavy and assault on a full out zoomed map? That won't happen unless the mech is quite a distance apart form the others or a lone warrior.

Before we get zoom, we will not be able tell apart a heavy or an assault in close proximity. We'll just see two enemy mechs on the minimap. This is exactly as it was before.

But now, if you see an isolated mech on the minimap, you'll be able to see instantly whether this is a harassing light mech or a helpless, bewildered Dire Whale. That's useful. And it's good that it happens automatically, because that's the kind of information coordinated groups are sharing via VOIP. Now multiple groups in group queue will be more coordinated, as will pugs in the solo queue. This feature is an equalizer, and MWO needs more equalizers to reduce the gap between well-coordinated groups and poorly coordinated ones. If people from different nationalities happen to drop on the same team, they need this sort of help to compete against a team where everyone is speaking the same language and communicating via VOIP.

View PostBurke IV, on 20 June 2016 - 01:09 AM, said:

The first 2 points i dont think should be in the game just me personally. As for asking for help pugs generally dont. If they do then they can say where they are. If somebody plays with no mic and then cant ask for help, tough.

I'm so glad the devs don't share your view. "If you don't have a mic and don't speak the same language as the guys on your team, tough". That attitude would be a fantastic way of driving away your European and Asian players.

#25 SirSlaughter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 370 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:01 AM

I don't get what are all of you angry about. The mini map is now finally mini so it's working as intended.

Prepare yourself: one more patch and it will be fixed like this:

Posted Image

#26 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:04 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 20 June 2016 - 01:50 AM, said:

I'm so glad the devs don't share your view. "If you don't have a mic and don't speak the same language as the guys on your team, tough". That attitude would be a fantastic way of driving away your European and Asian players.

Well i suppose its a fair point . I did forget that some gamers might not speak english, altho i think europeans for the most part dont have a problem with it.

Edited by Burke IV, 20 June 2016 - 02:07 AM.

#27 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:16 AM

View PostBurke IV, on 20 June 2016 - 02:04 AM, said:

Well i suppose its a fair point . I did forget that some gamers might not speak english, altho i think europeans for the most part dont have a problem with it.

You'd think so, but my brothers and sisters in Germany, Poland, Italy and other countries in the south / east are still struggling. Too much dubbing on tv and in cinemas.

Even norwegians are dubbing movies now. Kids are watching Harry Potter movies dubbed to Norwegian. <shudder>

#28 Belacose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 539 posts
  • LocationArlington Texas

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:25 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 19 June 2016 - 11:53 PM, said:

I think the people are missing the forest for the trees on this one.

In this particular case we'll be missing the trees for the forest.

#29 Kanil

• 1,067 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:36 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 20 June 2016 - 01:50 AM, said:

But now, if you see an isolated mech on the minimap, you'll be able to see instantly whether this is a harassing light mech or a helpless, bewildered Dire Whale. That's useful.

The problem is that it's only somewhat useful, and we're being forced to give up a lot to get it.

#30 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:39 AM

View PostKanil, on 20 June 2016 - 03:36 AM, said:

The problem is that it's only somewhat useful, and we're being forced to give up a lot to get it.

Well, that's just one element, but the zoom feature is apparently coming later this summer. I'll survive until then.

#31 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:53 AM

View PostSirSlaughter, on 20 June 2016 - 02:01 AM, said:

I don't get what are all of you angry about. The mini map is now finally mini so it's working as intended.

Posted Image

FTFY

#32 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:02 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 20 June 2016 - 03:53 AM, said:

View PostSirSlaughter, on 20 June 2016 - 02:01 AM, said:

FTFY

Nope. This:

Posted Image

(source)

#33 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:06 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 20 June 2016 - 03:39 AM, said:

Well, that's just one element, but the zoom feature is apparently coming later this summer. I'll survive until then.

Zoom Feature for minimap? Again this is nothing we really needed.
Even now there is a ZOOMable minimap. Just open the darn battle grid.

Those that demanded for a zoomable minimap will not be able to use this zoom function when they are not even able to use the battlegrid - wich makes a zoomable minimap redundant.

all the other functions well - could live with that. But the minimap - why?
Rather than the whole map could we just get the minimap with max zoom in - range 200-250m around your position? with good contrast.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 20 June 2016 - 05:08 AM.

#34 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:09 AM

All the minimap changes were done for one reason and one reason alone:

Now that the locust will be capable of submarine-ing on water maps, they needed to make sure we couldn't use the minimap te effectively target. In other words, the minimap changes are a nerf to the submarine locust. Balance is thus maintained.

#35 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:09 AM

The sky is falling. The sky is falling!

#36 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:10 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 20 June 2016 - 05:09 AM, said:

No, but the water is rising!

#37 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:11 AM

This is part of the current war on "information" (Which Russ stated he feels we have too much of).

Unfortunately the other side of the coin is that we use the minimap to stay alive - it is also a defensive tool.

Just add it to the enormous pile of things that PGI just doesn't seem to understand about their own game.

#38 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:17 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 20 June 2016 - 05:06 AM, said:

Zoom Feature for minimap? Again this is nothing we really needed.
Even now there is a ZOOMable minimap. Just open the darn battle grid.

Those that demanded for a zoomable minimap will not be able to use this zoom function when they are not even able to use the battlegrid - wich makes a zoomable minimap redundant.

all the other functions well - could live with that. But the minimap - why?
Rather than the whole map could we just get the minimap with max zoom in - range 200-250m around your position? with good contrast.

Using the battle grid temporarily blinds you and makes you defenseless. Zooming doesn't do that. That's why one will be used more than the other.

#39 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:21 AM

i skip the part, where the new minimap creator must've lost direction.

What is beyond... why the fak, is the basic blue UI in 640x480 resolution ? HEY DEV, ITS not year 1996,geez crist. SCALE it properly to 1440p.
it looks HORIBLY BAD.

Edited by Procurator Derek, 20 June 2016 - 05:56 AM.

#40 Egg Fu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:22 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 20 June 2016 - 05:09 AM, said:

Your nose is browning. Your nose is browning!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users