How Is The Pilot Skill Rating (Psr) And Tier Level Determined?

219 replies to this topic

#21 Blue Pheonix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:50 PM

Thanks Andi and Fat4eyes,

Yes, I actually think with experience and time I have learned to become a good pilot. Similar to what I posted earlier, here are my averaged stats for each category after running another 10 straight tonight. You will see that my stats increased since yesterday. I had a good night (skill level) tonight as I really tried hard. I was tops of my teams (as usual) but still rated tier 5. Here are my stats for tonight (each category is averaged over 10 matches) in my Jenner Oxide.

Score I Kills I Assists I Damage I My lance position I My position on my team I Survived I Won/Lost I
342.7--I--1.4--I----4-----I---497.4---I------------1.1-----------I---------------2.4----------------I-----6/10-----I-----6/4------I

While I saw a bunch of green "improvement arrows" I don't see anything else really happening. Still tier 5. As fat4eyes says it may be the win loss ratio (which would stink because as you see on my earlier post I put up good numbers regardless, but on a loss, I am usually on crappy teams and lose/die no matter what).

Maybe the "PSR" also has a lot to do with the kill/death ratio. Since I started this game, I have run with mostly lights which tend to get "one shotted" and picked off pretty easily (I enjoy the challenge). Also, when I started, I didn't really know what I was doing (didn't know you could build mechs) so I died a lot just messin around. My kill death ratio is horrible 763/1279 or .59. I don't really see me crawling out of this kill/death ratio hole (in reasonable time) so I am screwed if PSR is determined by this stat.

Can someone who also runs a Jenner Oxide tell me if these are good stats (averaged out over 10 games). Maybe in the grand scale of things these numbers/stats are low, hence my tier 5 rating.

Edited by Blue Pheonix, 23 September 2015 - 08:10 PM.

#22 Bloody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 569 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:01 PM

i lost the last 15 out of 20 game with damage averaging around 120 and still my bar has not moved , no idea if this PSR even works

#23 Blue Pheonix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:09 PM

Bloody, my "bar" is not moving either despite my good stats.

#24 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:48 PM

View PostBlue Pheonix, on 23 September 2015 - 08:09 PM, said:

Bloody, my "bar" is not moving either despite my good stats.

It is moving. By pixels. It doesnt looks like it, but it does.

#25 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:38 AM

I would agree that a better explanation of the Tier System and PSR as a whole would be great.

It has me listed as a Tier 4 player, and I consider myself completely average, so this could be correct. Although based off of Blue Phoenix's stats he list: 300+ match scores, with 300+ damage per match and all the support rolls he fills in matches, I would agree he should be higher than a Tier 5 player. I am usually between a 150-350 match score and I will do anywhere between 200-800 damage depending on the match, sometimes less, but not often more. I also only have a .9 kill to death ration, which means I die more often than I kill someone. Which is actually not entirely true. In most of my mediums have a 2 KDR, in most of my Assaults I have 1 KDR, but in lights and heavies I really struggle and am around a .7 average. I hardly ever kill anything in a light. Just haven't figured them out quite yet. I also usually don't get many kills while leveling any chassis variant - its not until I elite them that I will kill more than I die so that definitely skews it since I usually master a variant and move on. I rarely play one after it is mastered. So when figuring PSR out are certain classes weighted more? Or if you only play one or two classes are you punished because you don't have any score for the others?

Win and losses are tougher to gauge in my opinion. Winning is usually 100% dependent on the quality of the team as a whole. So if that is a major factor in PSR that could be a problem. Many mechs I do the best in with the highest KDR have below a 1 for 1 win/loss percentage. Some that I never get kills in and do poorly in have a much higher percentage than I'd expect.

Also does it factor in Chassis variant level? I can play mechs while leveling and completely blow in them until I unlock all the basics, then start to perform better in them. Others I have to double basics to get them to play well. So in the process of leveling a chassis variant that you are only leveling so you can master one of the chassis variant you actually like, you could end up negatively affecting your PSR.

It also seems like the PSR is overall and not class based. It also seems like going up or down moves at the speed of slow. I played the other day and lost almost every match with a PSR Drop indicator and did not notice any difference in my PSR Bar.

I would say that I have also won a few matches, but in the 25+ I have played since PSR came out my team has only won 2 or 3 of the matches.

I will say I have noticed a difference in organization in these matches. So I do believe I am playing against other below average players. Mostly because no one ever takes charges and if they do no one ever listens to them. Prior to PSR usually every couple matches you would drop in a group with people who would follow orders from someone who was actually willing to give them.

That said, I have only had a small sampling to base this off of, so I am really interested to see how it affects the game and over all competitiveness in the long run. I only hope I can keep playing if my win to loss ratio stays at 8% like it has been recently.

Lastly they did post some information on PSR in the patch notes, but this is all I could find on it:[color=#00FFFF]
PSR and Skill Tiers
[/color]
[color=#00FFFF]
With the new PSR system in place we are now able to put players into Skill Tiers.
[/color]
[color=#00FFFF]
There are 5 Skill Tiers in which a pilot can be ranked: Tier 1 being comprised of the best-rated players in the game, and Tier 5 being comprised of pilots who are in dire need of additional training. That being said, we now have much more control over who plays against whom, without the presence of the ‘release valves’ that were in place under the original system.
[/color]
[color=#00FFFF]
The original Elo system for MWO employed these release valves to allow the matchmaker to relax restrictions in an effort to start games faster. This could result in top-tier players being matched with newer or lower-skilled players. With the release of PSR, that system is now gone.
[/color]
[color=#00FFFF]
A Tier 1 player will never play against a Tier 4 or Tier 5 player.
New players are automatically seeded into the mid-to-high range of Tier 4.
All current players will be seeded into whichever Skill Tier best aligns with the historical data already present in their account. The historical data pool used for generating your Tier placement goes back until January 2015.
[/color]
[color=#00FFFF]
The weighted formula and action triggers will not be released publicly. However, we are currently debating the merits of making all players’ respective Skill Tier levels publicly accessible. Part of this potential public Skill Tier listing is the possibility for opting-in or opting-out of listing your Skill Tier publicly. Tina will likely be putting up a poll to gather feedback about which option the community feels would be the best choice for handling public Skill Tiers.
[/color]

#26 Blue Pheonix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:55 AM

All valid questions Winkle.

As you said, I fill my roles and fill them well. I am top ranked each match regarding stats in tier 5. I now find it very easy to do damage and take out mechs on the other team (please see my stats). While I died a lot when I first started playing the game, I really only die now if my team loses. I am usually among the last 3-4 to die (often being the last to die) and I still manage to do damage (the most on the team) which is hard because you are the focused target because you are the only one left.

Because of this, although no one has said it, I really think "PSR" is largely based off of kill/death ratio. As I said earlier, although totally different now, my kill death ratio is bad (.60) because I died a lot in the beginning while learning the game and just messing around. This game is really fun for me but it is also really competitive for me now too. I'd like more info on how this PSR is implemented so I know where to improve. Although I am tops of my teams in stats, maybe I am not doing something(s) right, even though I think I am.

I too also hope this PSR is class based. A "light" like me usually requires you to be one of the best pilots as there is much less room for error. One has to be very aware of your surroundings and pick your shots as it is very easy to get picked off and "one shotted". I can not "brawl" and take hits like the heavies and even some mediums. Doing this and being tops of my team is impressive so, tier 5, I don't get it.

Edited by Blue Pheonix, 24 September 2015 - 08:56 AM.

#27 Fraz Haznik

• Pip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:46 AM

My W/L is 1.05 and my KDR is 1.25
I rank Tier 2

Hope that helps

#28 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:58 AM

I had 8 consecutive wins last night, with good match scores (300-600+). Each one I got the green up arrow....but my bar barely moved. I screen shot each time and compared them, looked like it moved maybe a pixel or two.

So, it looks like whatever tier your got placed into is where you will be...for a long time.

Additional notes after playing since patch; Win/Loss is the main factor in determining your PSR, despite it being described as being based on your match score. Match score plays a part, but win/loss is the main stat that affects whether of not your PSR goes up or down after a match.

Edited by Death Proof, 24 September 2015 - 11:00 AM.

#29 Torric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:27 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 22 September 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

From the impression I am getting after today's patch, I think you have to try to get to tier 5. It isn't easy to get there...

Indeed. And "trying" means playing thousands of matches, and doing really bad on purpose, which prolly is not fun.

#30 reverendbacon

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 6 posts
  • Locationthe mountains

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:51 PM

I have almost maxed out tier 5, is there a 6? I've been playing for years... probably about 1300 1857 matches logged..

Edited by reverendbacon, 25 September 2015 - 09:56 PM.

#31 Phadrus Corpus

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 19 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:52 PM

Is Tier 5 the BEST? Then I don't feel so BAD. However, if we all start out at the bottom; then the lesser gifted players will have a difficult time of it, until the gifted players move on to more difficult matches with their peers. If Tier 1 is the best then why am I getting my assets kicked in a majority of the games now? LOL. New system stinks on ice; like me! Thanks PGI for the illuminating explanation of the rating system.

#32 SGT Schlock

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:51 PM

I am truly confused with the tier level is set up. It says I am a tier 5 player. From what I have read I must truly suck. I have been playing this since beta and play on a regular basis. I have died a lot because that is just my play style. I hate hanging back. I ususally score between 250-400 per match on the new score system on average. It seems to me that the tier system is going to penalize my play style. Too bad that I don't really care. I just enjoy the game. Is there anyone official to explain the tiers (is 1 or 5 the best, etc...)???

#33 SolarCleric

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:10 PM

View PostBlue Pheonix, on 22 September 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

Well, while I still fairly new to Mechwarrior Online, I am not completely new.
I have been playing for aprox about 6 months now, ballpark. Maybe more, maybe less.

My PSR says I am a tier 5 so I must really suck or the system/rating is really messed up.

I actually consider myself a good player. I mostly run lights (Jenners) though and have since I started. While I died a lot in the beginning while I was still learning the game, I usually:

- score around 300-500 on my match scores.
- I target and hold targets for LRMs
- I get points for scouting multiple targets
- I usually last the whole round or am among the last 3-4 to die
(which is easy to do if your team is being "spanked" and everyone starts targeting the last who are left).
- I usually do around 300-700 damage per round (so I am not just hanging back to survive). I could do more in my Oxide if it had more ammo.

With these things being true, I am confident I am not a tier 5 quality player if indeed tier 5 is the worst and tier 1 is the best.
I honestly play a lot now and would have thought I am more in line with high tier 1 through low tier 3. Somewhere in there. I believe I am top 1/3 and am really confident I am at least top half. This is why I ask the question because this is so shocking to me. I know I am truly not among the group of the worst players in the game. The ones who don't really know what they are doing yet. I am so confident of this that I would be willing to bet money on this.

Similar scores as you...landed me in T4.

#34 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:22 PM

Y'all need to read this.

#35 Fraz Haznik

• Pip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:52 PM

Tier one is top tier, tier 4 is where they place noobs, so you can imagine tier 5... is worse than noobs. The description says it is for folks unfamiliar with mechwarrior.

:(

#36 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:01 PM

I started Tier 4 with the progress bar about 75% full. Now I'm a match or two from filling the bar and "graduating" to Tier 3. All from just a few days of solo drops.

#37 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:08 PM

#38 WhiteRabbit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 377 posts
  • Locationover there

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:14 PM

View PostBloody, on 23 September 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

i lost the last 15 out of 20 game with damage averaging around 120 and still my bar has not moved , no idea if this PSR even works

little anecdote here:
i didn't really play the game since last december. Came back Friday and was seeded in tier 4 with about 95% filled. It took me 17 matches (10 of those wins/KDR in those matches 4.8/ average damage~450ish maybe more) to get to tier 3. It is moving but you need pretty high scoring games to really notice anything. and you don't really lose anything in a loss...seems to get up but never really down (even in some really bad games with about 100dmg i didn't see anything severe)

Edited by WhiteRabbit, 26 September 2015 - 02:16 PM.

#39 Tenderfoot Dragon

Rookie

• The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:51 AM

Since last two-three days I got many losses ~10...15 matches. And my Tier 3 bar is reduced SIGNIFICANTLY (~1.5-2 letters in word "pilot info" under the bar). So the bar is moving:)

#40 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:21 AM

I started to think about it today, and I think the problem is not just with PSR. I think PSR has made people think about a system that already can't be tracked or predicted. What I mean is if moving up or down in tier is based on victory and match score and neither is really a value that you control how do you really improve.

I know that sounds odd, so let me try to explain a bit better what I mean.

Victory is based on how well your team does, or possible how poorly the other team does. The teams ability to play as a team. This is out of individual control. Yes you can be the best team player or leader out there, but if no one else is you will still have a front row seat to defeated lane.

Match Score, well I am almost positive this in an arbitrary number. Yes damage, kills, assists, component destruction all seem to make it higher, but it seems to completely under value every other aspect of the game. When you are doing things like tagging, narcing, spotting, scouting, capping, etc you don't get very high match scores generally. And all of those things are very important to helping the team win.

For example I played two matches today. Both as a brawler and in both my team was victorious. (I also got the little green up arrow by tier for both)
Match one my score was 302. My stats were: 442 Damage, 1 Kills, 6 Assists and I died at the end.
Match two my score was 142. My stats were: 189 Damage, 2 Kills, 3 Assists and I lived.
Based off those numbers you'd say the score looks right. But here is what this does not take into account.
We only won match two because we captured their base. We were down 4 kills to 2. Their lights were moving our our base, Myself and three others were close to their base, so we decided to cap their base. Without that decision at that time we loose that match. As soon as we moved on their base we lost 2 more mechs (6-2). The enemy was so far away that they could not get to us, only one cicada did. Ended up wining by cap loosing 8 mechs while only killing 3. Yet being involved in capping and directly winning the match for your team had very little impact on the match score.

It seems like all the support type of play really only boosts your CBills reward and XP, but honestly when doing those things in a match my overall match score is always lower that it would have been if I just tried to accumulate as much damage as possible.

I hope I am wrong on that, but that is truly what it feels like to me. It just seems like we have many ways to play the game, but only a few of them are rewarded with statics that we see at the end of the match. And if they are going to let you know what they are I would hope players could gain a clearer understanding of what affects those numbers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users