How Is The Pilot Skill Rating (Psr) And Tier Level Determined?

219 replies to this topic

#41 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:26 AM

PSR is determined by a combination of three things.

Blindfold
Rotating dart board
Nerf dart gun.

This is the same set of tools they use to determine which aspect of the game to 'fix' or 'improve' next, kinda like when they were supposed to be implementing CW, but instead, we got Cockpit glass...

#42 agentSanders

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:42 AM

I don't usually make comments. But, it seems to me that basing a tier system off of win/loss ratios and kill death ratios is the most logical approach. Anyone that can shoot strait can hop in a mech and do 200-400 damage. But, if one wants to make a difference in the outcome of a match one must do more then simply shoot red and do damage. You have to put your mech where it is needed, target weak points on mechs, and have a great deal of patience. You can't control drawing a bad team occasionally but neither can your opponents. Not saying you cant just hop in a mech and go out and shoot red and have fun, just dont expect to win as many matches with that strategy.

Good hunting.

#43 Fraz Haznik

• Pip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 11:02 AM

This is a ridiculous ranking system.

How well the team does has nothing to do with how good a pilot you are.

Should go by match points, kdr, damage dealt on average.. ANYTHING but if you won or lost.. if that is factored in at all, it should be very low.

When i do 750 damage and end up on the losing team, my pilot rank stays the same.

When I do 100 damage and end up on the winning team, my rank goes up.. How does that make any sense?

Match points is a much better measure, since you can get points for doing all kinds of teamwork things and skill stuff besides shooting red.

#44 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 11:02 AM

Yeah the rankings don't make a whole lot of sense to me. Every tournament I participated in I ranked in the top 50 players (out of 2000+ Participants in any given class or mech) and even got to the top 17 on one occasion. However I am a tier 4 below average player? If so then the tournament players must all be below average or downright bad.

#45 Fleeb the Mad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 441 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:59 PM

Don't get wrapped up in your tier being a measure of you as a player. The system has holes in it since the initial seeding is based off skewed historical data.

If you consistently do well it will eventually correct itself. But trying to work the system to get to a higher level is a mistake. Enjoy your matches. It's vastly better to be seeded too low than too high.

#46 Fraz Haznik

• Pip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:15 AM

The more games you play, the less each one matters. You have to do good over the long haul.. and since winning or losing a match is pretty much out of your control (and the biggest factor in whether you increase or decrease in skill rating), it's a super poor ranking system.

#47 Kerensky98

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:32 PM

View PostDeath Proof, on 24 September 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

I had 8 consecutive wins last night, with good match scores (300-600+). Each one I got the green up arrow....but my bar barely moved. I screen shot each time and compared them, looked like it moved maybe a pixel or two.

So, it looks like whatever tier your got placed into is where you will be...for a long time.

I'm noticing this too. Maybe I have too much historical data but I don't move at all. Even after 4-5 losses in a row I don't move. Same when I pull out a 600 point slaughter. Doesn't seem to do anything.

Also I'm smack dab in the middle of tier 3. Does that mean I'm getting matched with Tier 1 on one game and Tier 5 on the next? It would explain why I get teamed up with god like gamers one match (and no points because they got them all), then on a team of window lickers next (and no points because they hide behind each-other). It makes me think that Tier 3 would be the hardest to move out of. I'm half tempted to start throwing games left and right to see if it moves.

#48 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:59 AM

View PostKerensky98, on 28 September 2015 - 10:32 PM, said:

I'm noticing this too. Maybe I have too much historical data but I don't move at all. Even after 4-5 losses in a row I don't move. Same when I pull out a 600 point slaughter. Doesn't seem to do anything.

Also I'm smack dab in the middle of tier 3. Does that mean I'm getting matched with Tier 1 on one game and Tier 5 on the next? It would explain why I get teamed up with god like gamers one match (and no points because they got them all), then on a team of window lickers next (and no points because they hide behind each-other). It makes me think that Tier 3 would be the hardest to move out of. I'm half tempted to start throwing games left and right to see if it moves.

Less than a week later, and after about 30+ matches played, I've compared the screenshots and my bar has moved about 25-30% up toward T3.

So, it's not as slow as it initially seemed (i.e. about 1% up per match). At this rate, if it holds, I should be T3 in another 40 matches or so based on my progress bar.

It just seems slow when you look at it match to match. However, I'm guessing once you get to the tier you belong in, it will slow down to a halt. I expect once I get to T3, I will remain there for quite some time.

So yeah, T3 is the "sandtrap" of this game. :lol:

Edited by Death Proof, 29 September 2015 - 06:00 AM.

#49 Alderann

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMarseille

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:09 PM

Agreed. I'm currently Tier 4 and slowly going toward Tier 3 despite of 1.5 win/loss ratio and 2.5 kill/death ratio.

Problem seems to be Tier ranking is based on overall stats - since the beginning of MWO - and my current 3 matches a day are not enough to catch up with the horrible dozens of newby matches I've played in the beginning, 6 months ago.

However, it seems it will slowly get better... let's be patient !

#50 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:04 AM

View PostFraz Haznik, on 24 September 2015 - 10:46 AM, said:

My W/L is 1.05 and my KDR is 1.25
I rank Tier 2

Hope that helps

I have way better W/L but 1.14 Kdr and rank 3 So i guess "tanking for the team" is not something you should do to gain rank.
I would consider myself as a better than average player. Man I just lost interest in this game. GOGO snipers/LRM for tier 1

#51 Inappropriate1

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:02 AM

Public tier info.

Once determined, the rank should be made visible on the field so that everyone can focus on the bad players and cull them out of the serious game play. Anything below tier 2 or 3 is not acceptable for serious game play. The player's that matter pay for better equipment/mechs and are worthy to play. Want a better tier, then spend money or be ridiculed.

This is why you are being told how bad a player you are so you will spend some money.

Edited by R3N3GADE, 02 October 2015 - 12:08 PM.

#52 Henric Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 109 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationYork II

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:38 AM

View PostBlue Pheonix, on 22 September 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

My PSR says I am a tier 5 so I must really suck or the system/rating is really messed up.

I actually consider myself a good player. I mostly run lights (Jenners) though and have since I started. While I died a lot in the beginning while I was still learning the game, I usually:

- score around 300-500 on my match scores.
- I target and hold targets for LRMs
- I get points for scouting multiple targets
- I usually last the whole round or am among the last 3-4 to die
(which is easy to do if your team is being "spanked" and everyone starts targeting the last who are left).
- I usually do around 300-700 damage per round (so I am not just hanging back to survive). I could do more in my Oxide if it had more ammo.

With these things being true, I am confident I am not a tier 5 quality player if indeed tier 5 is the worst and tier 1 is the best.

Blue I empathize with you. I too, generally run as a Cav - Scout and I have been playing Mechwarrior on the net in its various incarnations since MW2. Moreover, I have been playing tabletop Battletech since it first appeared way back in 1983 (and continue to do so). so I am very well versed in the original game theory as well. I do not consider myself a bad player either and find my current rating to be a Tier 4. Which, if I understand correctly, is a low end rating of my PSR. I do not feel that it is an accurate gauge by which to measure ones effectiveness in the course of a game.

In the final analysis, I feel that PSR is just yet another useless statistic that has no real value in the overall scheme of things. The Devs would do well to either make it a useful statistic, or just remove it from the game entirely.

Good Hunting, Mechwarriors, I salute you. Die with yer boots on.... B)

#53 Star Dust

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:31 AM

I'm not sure about initial tier rating, this topic seems to be the best write up I've found on PSR.

#54 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:34 AM

How is it determined?

In such a way that the top 3 tiers are full of gash players that don't know they have a minimap and should be in the bottom tiers. The system is a complete joke.

#55 Hal Greaves

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 304 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:46 AM

I'm tier 3.

Posted Image

I probably should not be tier 3. Surprise CW was taken out of the formula.

#56 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:44 AM

View PostHal Greaves, on 03 October 2015 - 06:46 AM, said:

I'm tier 3.

Posted Image

I probably should not be tier 3. Surprise CW was taken out of the formula.

And CW probably shouldn't be used. With CW there's no way to make sure you're being matched up against people of a similar skill.

#57 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:49 AM

View PostWater Bear, on 03 October 2015 - 07:44 AM, said:

And CW probably shouldn't be used. With CW there's no way to make sure you're being matched up against people of a similar skill.

You won't be matched with people of similar skill anyway.

#58 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:52 AM

View PostSpr1ggan, on 03 October 2015 - 07:49 AM, said:

You won't be matched with people of similar skill anyway.

If an Elo type system is working, then you will.

#59 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:55 AM

View PostWater Bear, on 03 October 2015 - 07:52 AM, said:

If an Elo type system is working, then you will.

With the previous Elo system i was still seeing trial and stock mechs in drops. Under the new system it's the same ol ****. Players that don't know they have access to a minimap, camp the worst spots, nascar etc. Matchmaking and match quality are still dire.

Edited by Spr1ggan, 03 October 2015 - 08:05 AM.

#60 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:04 AM

View PostSpr1ggan, on 03 October 2015 - 07:55 AM, said:

With the previous Elo system i was still seeing trial and stock mechs in drops. Under the new system it's the same ol ****. Players that don't know they have access to a minimap, camp the worst spots, nascar etc. Matchmaking and match quality are still dire.

I still see some of those things, too, but by far most of my matches are much harder to win than when I group with T5 players. I suspect it's just the matchmaker relaxing its requirements to prevent matchmaking from taking forever.

To be honest here, I think most people are just upset that their tier rating isn't as high as they were telling themselves it was. This is the harsh reality that competitive players have been living with since ratings were introduced. Sometimes you think you're grandmaster but you're really only bronze.

Edited by Water Bear, 03 October 2015 - 08:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users