#21 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:07 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 22 September 2015 - 09:38 PM, said:

What the hell were people thinking when they asked for the Black Knight to be brought into this game?

Especially without jump jets so it cant even pop tart lol

Dunno - had the same question on my mind when i have seen the Wolfhound, Crab and Black Knight in the package - i did buy it anyhow :D

Maybe they thought they get this one:
Posted Image

or this one
Posted Image

Really would like to upgrade the BKNT into a Flashman or a Falconer (heck would even reduce all 4 variants into a single one)

#22 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 22 September 2015 - 11:33 PM, said:

...........or the jump jets theyre supposed to have

Now, now. We cannot have Highlander Burials in this game....

#23 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:44 AM

Don't limit MY mech choices because they don't fit in with the meta!

#24 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:12 AM

View Postcdlord, on 23 September 2015 - 08:44 AM, said:

Don't limit MY mech choices because they don't fit in with the meta!

I agree,

If we all thought this way the Urbanmech would have never mad it into the game. Hell if we all thought that way we wouldn't need any more mechs other then the STK and TBR honestly.

Variety is the spice of life my friends.

#25 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:12 PM

View Postmartian, on 22 September 2015 - 11:59 PM, said:

1) As far as I know, there is no Black Knight variant with ballistic or missile weapons (if we discount the Dark Age model with Plasma Rifles which are weapons that lie somewhere between ballistic and energy weapons).
2) However, PGI may unveil its own in-house model. After all, they have created a few non-canon "P" models in the past.
  • Madcat can be equipped with Jump Jets, although not exactly as in canon.
  • Daishi can be equipped with Jump Jets, although not exactly as in canon.
  • Hankyu can be equipped with Jump Jets, as in canon.
  • Ryoken cannot be equipped with Jump Jets, but there is no canon configuration with Jump Jets. Probably the result of PGI's decision not to create their own "P" configuration. Ryoken is probably the best medium OmniMech in the game. With the option to mount Jump Jets it would be "doubly best".

Youre REALLY going with canon 3 YEARS after that argument went off the rails in this game?

really?

And I was talking about MW4 (IE the only reason ppl wanted it for this game). Thats canon?

View PostPivateer, on 23 September 2015 - 06:05 AM, said:

Yeah if at least one variant had ballistics or missiles, they are all basically the same mech x4. :(

Thats the other thing. The variants are like one ams difference. Sorry but AMS isnt a powerful enough thing to swing an entire variant around on -.-

View PostTom Sawyer, on 23 September 2015 - 06:17 AM, said:

I will master them as all I have bought. Perhaps its not a tier one but I have found builds that are at least fun to play. Time will tell if they as others collect dust.

Ill be running a wub version with the R and sell the rest likely

View PostBaconCouch, on 23 September 2015 - 06:38 AM, said:

Its at least as good as the Grasshopper,

two words

jump jets

View PostDarthRevis, on 23 September 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

I agree,

If we all thought this way the Urbanmech would have never mad it into the game. Hell if we all thought that way we wouldn't need any more mechs other then the STK and TBR honestly.

Variety is the spice of life my friends.

I agree! Thats why I dont like the BK's variants. Theyre all the same -.-

#26 Victorion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:15 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 22 September 2015 - 11:33 PM, said:

I play "for fun". I dont play to get killed as soon as I see an enemy and doing 60 damage.

And... you're blaming that sub par performance on the black knight?

I my average damage is 400 in it, with 1-3 kills and 5-7 assists with my 6B's 3x LPL, 6x ML, XL350 build, and I only just started playing it like... today?

#27 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:58 PM

View PostVictorion, on 23 September 2015 - 08:15 PM, said:

I my average damage is 400 in it, with 1-3 kills and 5-7 assists with my 6B's 3x LPL, 6x ML, XL350 build, and I only just started playing it like... today?

Sweet youre showing off how ****** the build is AND how bad the quirks are all at once

#28 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,275 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:59 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 23 September 2015 - 08:12 PM, said:

Youre REALLY going with canon 3 YEARS after that argument went off the rails in this game?

really?

As long as the overwheling majority of 'Mechs in MWO are canon 'Mechs (or at least are pretending being so), then the argument with "canon" is valid.

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 23 September 2015 - 08:12 PM, said:

And I was talking about MW4 (IE the only reason ppl wanted it for this game). Thats canon?

1) How was I supposed to know that you are talking about MW4 if you haven't mentioned it before?
2) Anyway, MW4 has never been canon - see the first part of this post.
3) Your argument that "JJs - IE the only reason ppl wanted it for this game" is not true. Posts from the topic with poll about the next Heavy 'Mech tell us that people voted for BK because:
  • looks cooler
  • love arm shields
  • IS needs more 75t mechs
  • etc.

#29 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:42 PM

View PostVictorion, on 23 September 2015 - 08:15 PM, said:

Posted Image

Doesnt make it a good mech, sorry

View Postmartian, on 23 September 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

As long as the overwheling majority of 'Mechs in MWO are canon 'Mechs (or at least are pretending being so), then the argument with "canon" is valid.

as long as we have all the double armor 3x rof 10 damage clan ERPPCs that splash torsos, pinpoint damage, etc that we have in this game, the canon argument in quite invalid

#30 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,275 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:24 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 23 September 2015 - 09:42 PM, said:

as long as we have all the double armor 3x rof 10 damage clan ERPPCs that splash torsos, pinpoint damage, etc that we have in this game, the canon argument in quite invalid

This thread has been about Black Knight, its canon variants and hardpoints and if variants with JJs or with ballistic weapons are canon.

When being told that there are no canon Black Knights with JJs or ballistic hardpoints, now you are starting to talk about Clan ER PPCs splash damage. LOL

Your clumsy attempt to shift goalposts amused me. Thanks.

Plus, you told us that the only reason why people wanted Black Knight was that it had JJs in MW4. Somehow, you failed to notice when I told you that people had other reasons too.

#31 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:38 PM

Yeah power to da peeples!
Da man's been holdin us down for to...........
OOoooooty wrong thread.
Carry on :unsure:

#32 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:46 PM

Rule of cool and the zen of fun man.

#33 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:01 PM

What the hell were people thinking when they asked for the Black Knight to be brought into this game?

Maybe they do not need meta crutches and wanted a fun, cool-looking mech to use. It seems similar to the Grasshopper, with which I have had a great time.

That said, most probably knew nothing about if from canon, and asked for it based on their memories of that silly, half-salvaged custom scrapheap called a Black Knight from MW4, which was a broken pop-sniping türd that everyone abused back then.

EDIT: apparently, 't u r d' is censored, lol.

Edited by Aethon, 23 September 2015 - 11:05 PM.

#34 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:05 PM

Maybe we can get the Bandersnatch to make up for it.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bandersnatch

#35 Red Shrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:06 PM

I wonder if the Wolfhound will get the same amount of whine....

#36 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,275 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:00 AM

View PostTimberwolf581, on 23 September 2015 - 11:06 PM, said:

I wonder if the Wolfhound will get the same amount of whine....

Of course it will - from the same people who now rage about the Black Knight.

It is going to sound like this:
"How is it possible that PGI offers Wolfhound, so bad 'Mech when compared against Firestarter and ECM-carrying Hankyu?
Wolfhound is crap because it doesn't have the same set of quirks (or better quirks) as Firestarter!
Playing for fun? Wolfhound is not a meta 'Mech!
Liking the 'Mech's appearance? Impossible!"

Just wait ...
:)

#37 Victorion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:29 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 23 September 2015 - 08:58 PM, said:

Sweet youre showing off how ****** the build is AND how bad the quirks are all at once

Posted Image

Pub drop in the 6b. Using a 4x LLas 4x MPL set up and a XL350 engine, which seems to be becoming the standard engine people run on the BK (don't you ruin the hitboxes when you "fix" them PGI...)

Ended up in a small BK lance, which isn't uncommon right now, and a Thunderbolt. Not bad. Lasers for everyone!

The heavy line up was pretty balanced (depending on your illustrious opinion of course) 2 TBR's and an EBJ vs 2 BK's and a TDR. We're discounting the CPLT and the BK both of whom didn't really do anything.

Now, I didn't manage to out perform the TDR, though I kept up with him for the most part, and while his damage application was more formidable then mine due to heat efficiency, my maneuverability puts most TDR builds to shame.

I did manage to however outperform both of the TBR's combined, and one of our BK's had a great match, pulling almost 800 damage.

Let's go back to the analogy of a junk car vs a Ferrari that seemed to get so much praise.

Take two average joe drivers and put them behind the wheel of each in a race with other people. The people in Ferrari's are going to blow the doors of them every single time.

I've been having games like this one all day. I'm a Tier 3 avg joe player, playing probably mostly other T3 avg joe players. Many of whom use TBR's. If the difference was anywhere near the absolute repugnant hyperbole that you're making it out to be, these games would be completely and utterly impossible to get.

#38 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:57 AM

To be fair PGI did a good job giving the Urbie all the help they could. It's not actually that terrible; not as bad as it should have been. I think the expectation was that PGI would no go out of their way to absolutely take a huge dump all over an iconic classic like the BK and would actually try to use the quirk system PGI created to make sub-standard mechs better. Like they did on the Thudder, Firestarter, Raven, Stalker, Battlemaster, Blackjack, etc. etc.

You know. All the ones that are not terrible.

PGI went out of their way to put a hatchet in the BK. I think part of the confusion is that the BK being so terrible can only be the product of one of two things -

1. PGI intentionally made the BK bad, because.... otherwise it wouldn't be bad and somehow that's a problem. They understand how to make good or bad mechs and went through the intentional design choices to make the BK T4 or T5.

2. PGI really, truly and deeply doesn't understand how to make mechs, at all and any good/bad results are total accidents and after years and years and dozens and dozens of mechs, thousands of threads and millions of posts, videos, websites devoted to breaking down exactly what does and doesn't make mechs in MW:O good they still are absolutely 100% clueless on how that actually plays out.

Neither one of those is good.

#39 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:09 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 24 September 2015 - 12:57 AM, said:

To be fair PGI did a good job giving the Urbie all the help they could. It's not actually that terrible; not as bad as it should have been. I think the expectation was that PGI would no go out of their way to absolutely take a huge dump all over an iconic classic like the BK and would actually try to use the quirk system PGI created to make sub-standard mechs better. Like they did on the Thudder, Firestarter, Raven, Stalker, Battlemaster, Blackjack, etc. etc.

You know. All the ones that are not terrible.

PGI went out of their way to put a hatchet in the BK. I think part of the confusion is that the BK being so terrible can only be the product of one of two things -

1. PGI intentionally made the BK bad, because.... otherwise it wouldn't be bad and somehow that's a problem. They understand how to make good or bad mechs and went through the intentional design choices to make the BK T4 or T5.

2. PGI really, truly and deeply doesn't understand how to make mechs, at all and any good/bad results are total accidents and after years and years and dozens and dozens of mechs, thousands of threads and millions of posts, videos, websites devoted to breaking down exactly what does and doesn't make mechs in MW:O good they still are absolutely 100% clueless on how that actually plays out.

Neither one of those is good.

I feel like it's a combination of not wanting to paywall good mechs that aren't Clams (inb4 pay2win, ACH overquirk looooool) and Paul hating weapon quirks and not wanting to use them any more, despite them being the only thing bringing IS even remotely close to being in line with Clans.

I straight up refused to buy a single Resistance/IS style pack this year because I knew the mechs would, without fail, be worthless without good quirks (and lo and behold, none came with good quirks).

Edited by Vlad Ward, 24 September 2015 - 01:10 AM.

#40 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:11 AM

View PostVictorion, on 24 September 2015 - 12:29 AM, said:

Posted Image

Pub drop in the 6b. Using a 4x LLas 4x MPL set up and a XL350 engine, which seems to be becoming the standard engine people run on the BK (don't you ruin the hitboxes when you "fix" them PGI...)

Ended up in a small BK lance, which isn't uncommon right now, and a Thunderbolt. Not bad. Lasers for everyone!

The heavy line up was pretty balanced (depending on your illustrious opinion of course) 2 TBR's and an EBJ vs 2 BK's and a TDR. We're discounting the CPLT and the BK both of whom didn't really do anything.

Now, I didn't manage to out perform the TDR, though I kept up with him for the most part, and while his damage application was more formidable then mine due to heat efficiency, my maneuverability puts most TDR builds to shame.

I did manage to however outperform both of the TBR's combined, and one of our BK's had a great match, pulling almost 800 damage.

Let's go back to the analogy of a junk car vs a Ferrari that seemed to get so much praise.

Take two average joe drivers and put them behind the wheel of each in a race with other people. The people in Ferrari's are going to blow the doors of them every single time.

I've been having games like this one all day. I'm a Tier 3 avg joe player, playing probably mostly other T3 avg joe players. Many of whom use TBR's. If the difference was anywhere near the absolute repugnant hyperbole that you're making it out to be, these games would be completely and utterly impossible to get.

Your team had six people, other than yourself, who were good enough to carry. The other team had a total of 3.

You got that score because you had a better team of people playing against bads. Can you put that score up consistently? Is that an average match?

That's the difference. A decent TW pilot can put up 500 damage on any map just about regardless of the relative teams. Why? His mech is really, really good and if he knows a bit about how to play it he can wreck face, win or lose.

A bad mech is, at best, situational. You can put up 500 damage in an Urbie (I've seen people do it) especially if you're with a good team.

Where it becomes relevant is in anything like an organized setting, especially in anything even remotely competitive - as in both teams going tryhard to win. In that context you see the difference in performance between T1 and T4, or even T2 and T3.

What you're describing is a daily commute to work. In that context, sure. The difference between a sedan and a Ferrari seems manageable. You'll have days where you beat the traffic and things play out in your favor.

Go to a race-track however and suddenly there is no competition. Go participate in a street race with two teams, with you taking a sedan. You being in that sedan will absolutely bone your team because it's just not anywhere up to snuff for actual competition compared to actual high performance vehicles.

Does that make more sense? At some point I'll probably pick the BK up for cbills and have a good derp around in it. I absolutely love my Orions; like a baby Atlas (my first love) and I play it from time to time too and do alright. For the daily commute they are comfortable, fun, low stress playing around toys.

I don't take them to private matches for challenges or to CW if I'm playing matches I care about winning.

That's the issue. This isn't about wanting something OP or an 'advantage'. It's that the IS competitive drop-deck is 2 years stale, even above and beyond being flat out inferior to the Clan competitive drop deck. It's been years, people who enjoy competitive gameplay experiences want something new on the IS side brought to the table. All the good stuff we have is actually really old stuff that's been given quirks to make it good. The Thudder was DoA in the Phoenix Package until the great Quirkening.

People want something new that's viable and useful for that level of gameplay. Also balancing Clan/IS overall, but even when it's balanced all these mechs, the last 2 years worth, are still unlikely (due to intentional design choices like bad scaling, hitboxes and hardpoint placement or maneuverability limitations) to be better than some of the oldest mechs.

I want an IS mech or 3 to be comparable to the Timber Wolf. My preference would be to see that by nerfs to Clan tech and an overall rebalance of Clan/IS tech. I also want something new to play when I don't want to roll into a match with something that is inherently by design inferior to what the other guy is going to bring.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users