Paul Brings Clarification To Psr And Tiers.

277 replies to this topic

#1 Kira Onime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:54 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...-tiers-and-psr/

Fkn lol.

"Tiers are NOT a RANK"

"If we were to turn off new player registration/sign-up and just let the current player base play on forever, eventually everyone will bubble up to Tier 2 or Tier 1."

EDIT: Let's bring a bit more clarification since some people don't seem to understand.
Yeah I didn't quote the rest of the sentence simply because it's ******** with the context of the PSR system.

It's fairly normal to assume a player will improve as he plays under the condition that said player wants to improve.
The system in its nature is also heavy flawled the moment you start putting groups into the equation. A low rated pilot can easily be carried by a good team since there are only 2 ways to lose PSR and both involve losing.

Edited by Kira Onime, 25 September 2015 - 06:41 AM.

#2 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:05 PM

"You are Tier 4/5 because you do not play as a team."
....but...
PSR can not drop if your team wins (regardless of how you played).

?? It is a win/loss plus games played counter but somehow that equates to teamwork?

You can get a zero match score but if your teams carrys and wins, you don't drop PSR. Go teamwork!

Edited by Chemie, 24 September 2015 - 05:05 PM.

#3 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:12 PM

View PostChemie, on 24 September 2015 - 05:05 PM, said:

"You are Tier 4/5 because you do not play as a team."
....but...
PSR can not drop if your team wins (regardless of how you played).

?? It is a win/loss plus games played counter but somehow that equates to teamwork?

You can get a zero match score but if your teams carrys and wins, you don't drop PSR. Go teamwork!

This.

It should be:

if ($matchscore > $avg_matchscore)
{
increase PSR
}

if ($matchscore = $avg_matchscore)
{
do nothing
}

if ($matchscore < $avg_matchscore)
{
decrease PSR
}

Not as it is:
Posted Image

Edited by Lord Scarlett Johan, 24 September 2015 - 05:14 PM.

#4 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:19 PM

So Paul says it is more of an XP bar then. Kinda what I thought it was.

#5 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:22 PM

View PostKira Onime, on 24 September 2015 - 04:54 PM, said:

Fkn lol.
"Tiers are NOT a RANK"
"If we were to turn off new player registration/sign-up and just let the current player base play on forever, eventually everyone will bubble up to Tier 2 or Tier 1."

Called it!

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 24 September 2015 - 05:19 PM, said:

So Paul says it is more of an XP bar then. Kinda what I thought it was.

Posted Image

#6 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:22 PM

I played last night and due to some horrendous lag (1000+ ping spikes) I only scored 60 damage and died.

The team won anyway and my PSR remained stable. I think that doing really poorly should drop your PSR, regardless of whether your team wins are loses.

Edited by Troutmonkey, 24 September 2015 - 06:29 PM.

#7 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:28 PM

Winning should honestly be a tertiary factor to your PSR. The bonuses, how much damage you did, how many assists, component destructions, kills, etc. should all be more prominent.

#8 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:29 PM

I rather thought he did a good job with the clarification. I dislike that it's so biased towards wins since I've done spectacularly well on a few losses recently, but oh well...

#9 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:34 PM

On the other hand, linking it so closely to wins does provide an incentive to play as a team, since the best way to raise your PSR is to win and the best way to win is to play together.

#10 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:35 PM

Someone will have to explain to me the point of tiers if technically, anybody and everybody can reach T1 if they just play enough.

#11 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:38 PM

View PostKira Onime, on 24 September 2015 - 04:54 PM, said:

Fkn lol.

"Tiers are NOT a RANK"

Next time quote the entire thing.

If we were to turn off new player registration/sign-up and just let the current player base play on forever, eventually everyone will bubble up to Tier 2 or Tier 1. That's because with experience comes better player skill. There would still be people in lower Tiers, it's just that that pool of players would be smaller than top Tier players. Lower tier players would end up being those who refuse to adjust to their team's dynamics and play a 1 trick pony type of gameplay.

High tier will still signify skill. It is just without new players, everyone who had kept playing MWO will reach high skill. Eventually. That last part is an issue though, as other games offer much faster climb to tiers if one is good enough.

View PostKira Onime, on 24 September 2015 - 05:35 PM, said:

Someone will have to explain to me the point of tiers if technically, anybody and everybody can reach T1 if they just play enough.

It is chiefly to make sure that T1 players are not gonna drop with/against newbies. Cause that would be CW level seal clubbing.

Edited by El Bandito, 24 September 2015 - 05:44 PM.

#12 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:40 PM

It can certainly explain certain people that are Tier 1, but probably aren't considered that.

It is a magical ninja grindfest after all.

#13 Flaming oblivion

• The 1 Percent
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:44 PM

^ no its mostly based on time played, So because I'm tier one i'm no better then anyone else in tier 6, I already knew that this post hopefully will put a few egos in place in the higher tiers.

Tier is more about a lack of a life outside your computer desk then it is skill.

And yeah I'm tier 1.

#14 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:48 PM

Technically, maybe but only if everyone starts playing as a unit though only after a very long time due to there being a "cap" if the PSR remains unchanged. But like everything that will eventually be changed.

Think of it like leveling up in other games but no resurrections if you die. The more effective your group is, the more experience you earn. Less effective, the slower the experience. This includes the archtypes being used, paladins for undead, mages w/pets, rogues. But if you fail, depending on badly you failed determines if you lose a little experience or lots of experience, or if you did great but still failed, may be gain a little experience.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 24 September 2015 - 06:11 PM.

#15 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:49 PM

View PostFlaming oblivion, on 24 September 2015 - 05:44 PM, said:

^ no its mostly based on time played, So because I'm tier one i'm no better then anyone else in tier 6, I already knew that this post hopefully will put a few egos in place in the higher tiers.

Tier is more about a lack of a life outside your computer desk then it is skill.

And yeah I'm tier 1.

It stands to reason that a person who played 5000 matches have more skill than a newbie with few hundred matches under his belt. It took me 200 matches at least, to get away from 0.25 WLR back in 2012-2013. One does not magically become as good as Proton, or Heimdelight, by playing few hundred matches.

Edited by El Bandito, 24 September 2015 - 05:51 PM.

#16 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:50 PM

Posted Image

Its stupid ... there is more case to rise than to drop ... more than twice it seem

Low match score = drop whatever your team won or lose... with low match score if your team win it only mean someone carry ya... also maybe tier 4 or 5 is good for you.

And yea merge Tier 1 and Tier 2

Edited by Idealsuspect, 24 September 2015 - 06:02 PM.

#17 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:51 PM

Not a big fan. If all it does is protect new players. Then it should never have been displayed.

Seems like a shotty system, not sure what its goal is. Not sure if it is able to accomplish it.

Seems like a mashem together of
  • Leveling System - to protect new players(LoL)
  • Ladder System - for ranked play (Starcraft2)
  • ELO - Matches players of equal skill
If you want my honest opinion, i'd describe it visually as some disgusting fused abomination that screams "Kill Me"

It does none of the above things well. If everybody eventually reaches Tier 1/Tier 2 then how does it match players various skill in the game against each other like the old elo system did?

Edited by Jin Ma, 24 September 2015 - 05:59 PM.

#18 AjerWerklWerkl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:59 PM

Wow, looks like people are not reading carefully...

Paul said that eventually people will all move up because he's assuming that people become better players over time.

So YES, a lower tier number means you are a better player.

That said, I do think it's stupid that even if you get the highest match score on your team, and even are higher than 80% of the enemy team as well, your PSR goes down!

#19 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:06 PM

View PostAjerWerklWerkl, on 24 September 2015 - 05:59 PM, said:

Wow, looks like people are not reading carefully...

Paul said that eventually people will all move up because he's assuming that people become better players over time.

So YES, a lower tier number means you are a better player.

That said, I do think it's stupid that even if you get the highest match score on your team, and even are higher than 80% of the enemy team as well, your PSR goes down!

And there is the falicy in his thinking.

To him "better" means conforming to the play style that PGI perscribes. Those who do not conform to that playstyle, regardless of skill level, will have lower Tier rankings.

I very rarely conform to their perscribed play style, but would be described by those that I play with as average to better than average in skill. Yet here I am in Tier 5.

Now I'm actually happy about being Tier 5 instead of going ...WTF.... Why, you may ask? because I have never wanted to play this as a soley team based game. I've been an early demander of bringing in Solaris VII and free-for-all matches. I have no desire to conform to their idea of how to play.

Edited by RussianWolf, 24 September 2015 - 06:09 PM.

#20 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:12 PM

View PostKira Onime, on 24 September 2015 - 05:35 PM, said:

No point like the rest of this game ;)

Just drop arena style... shoot a few mechs... support the next grab deal...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users