Battletech Kickstarter

716 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:26 PM

Our friends over at Harebrained Schemes are preparing to launch a Kickstarter campaign for the first turn-based, tactical combat BattleTech PC game in over two decades!

Given their outstanding success at introducing a new era of gamers to the amazing world of Shadowrun, we are extremely excited to see what Jordan Weisman and the Harebrained team will be able to accomplish for the BattleTech Universe with the backing and support of BattleTech fans across the globe.

To help foster a strong visual continuity across the modern BattleTech Universe, we are proud to be sharing the BattleMech designs and 3D models of MechWarrior Online with Harebrained Schemes.

What if every BattleTech fan in the world backed this Kickstarter on Day One, Hour One? If you want to contribute to this milestone return of turn-based, tactical BattleTech combat, help us perform a Day One Alpha Strike on the BattleTech Kickstarter campaign. Send a message to the world that BattleTech is back.

#BATTLETECH #AlphaStrike

#2 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:29 PM

I've been following this for a while and I can't wait to see what they create. Hopefully I can afford to back them early on, as I really want to see this game succeed.

EDIT: Oh, and THANK GOD they're keeping it to Succession Wars era. That should make for a great game basis and remove a lot of the technology problems that plagued Battletech ever since the clans were introduced. It reminds me of how the creators of Battletech even admitted they'd have done everything WAY differently if they could go back and do it over.

EDIT2: Maybe . . . just maybe . . . this is an opportunity for them to actually and truly do it over they way they want to, since Mr. Weisman himself is involved in this rebirthing of Battletech.

Edited by Sereglach, 25 September 2015 - 11:07 PM.

#3 ZnSeventeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:34 PM

Boss. I am really looking forward to this, and hopefully a new Mechcommander type game someday.

By the way, in the picture with the King Crab, is the Tank in front a Rommel?

#4 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:38 PM

I guess I will wait for more details before I make a pledge to that HBS' project.

I remember what PGI promised when they were raising money and what the today's state of MWO is.

Edited by martian, 25 September 2015 - 09:40 PM.

#5 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:45 PM

View PostZnSeventeen, on 25 September 2015 - 09:34 PM, said:

Boss. I am really looking forward to this, and hopefully a new Mechcommander type game someday.

By the way, in the picture with the King Crab, is the Tank in front a Rommel?

BattleMechs (left toright): Griffin, King Crab, Locust

That smaller tank in the front is the Scorpion Light Tank.

That second tank in the background - the one with that "box" on the turret - is the Manticore Heavy Tank. That "box" is LRM-10 launcher.

While the Scorpion is a cheap and not especially good vehicle (unless mass deployed), the Manticore is one of the best tanks you can use in this era.

in the background on the left you can see some Karnov UR Transport VTOLs.

#6 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:55 PM

Kickstarter.....or Marauder....Kickstarter....or Marauder...

Edited by Ed Steele, 25 September 2015 - 09:55 PM.

#7 Cranky Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 114 posts
  • LocationHarem of French Poodles

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:55 PM

Not sure what they are selling....is their a link to what the previous Battle Tech Game was 20 years ago? Is it similar to Battle Tech the Crescent Hawk Inception?

If so ....at least bring back the ATLAS and return it to the former glory of KING OF THE BATTLE FIELD.

#8 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:58 PM

View PostCranky Puppy, on 25 September 2015 - 09:55 PM, said:

Not sure what they are selling....is their a link to what the previous Battle Tech Game was 20 years ago? Is it similar to Battle Tech the Crescent Hawk Inception?

If so ....at least bring back the ATLAS and return it to the former glory of KING OF THE BATTLE FIELD.

From what I have read, it will be like Crascent Hawk's Inception / Revenge, but turn based, with allot more units on the field and hopefully, eventually PVP. I really hope that this game will pick up the slack from the horrible, downright fraudulent money grab that was Mechwarrior Tactics.

#9 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:58 PM

This is awesome.

I will wait to see if they have a similar "FTP" model for their new game, or if they will sell a traditional product before I commit though.

I have little interest in buying card packs like how that other turn based game was going for- if that is the direction they are even going in. Mech Commander old school, or FTP online magic the gathering style. I will wait to see some details first.

#10 Xander185

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 19 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:02 PM

Given that HBS is run by the creators of the game system, they should do a lovely job of staying close to the game they originally created. I have enjoyed their new Shadowrun turn-based games.

#11 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:07 PM

View PostEldagore, on 25 September 2015 - 09:58 PM, said:

This is awesome.

I will wait to see if they have a similar "FTP" model for their new game, or if they will sell a traditional product before I commit though.

I have little interest in buying card packs like how that other turn based game was going for- if that is the direction they are even going in. Mech Commander old school, or FTP online magic the gathering style. I will wait to see some details first.

From what I remember:
They said that they will sell a complete game with single-player campaign, and maybe multiplayer element as stretch goal. No F2P.

Edited by martian, 25 September 2015 - 10:08 PM.

#12 Ice

• PipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 20 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:22 PM

HBS also made the excellent Shadowrun games(Returns, Dragonfall, Hong Kong), so I'm definitely backing this up :)

#13 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,606 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:23 PM

MechWarrior Tactics was a sham right from the word go. It also caused me to be knocked out playing MWO for a few months. So I am glad its gone, and good riddance too.

As for this, Tactics didn't have the founder of FASA and creator of why we're all here, Jordan Weisman. With Mitch Gitelman at the helm, this game will definitely take off faster than Saturn II rocket!

#14 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:32 PM

View PostHawk819, on 25 September 2015 - 10:23 PM, said:

MechWarrior Tactics was a sham right from the word go.

I wouldn't say that.

But it's my opinion that it was very badly managed project, for the most of the time overshadowed by MWO (when both projects were under IGP umbrella)..

Edited by martian, 25 September 2015 - 10:32 PM.

#15 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:39 PM

Hmmm, three days ago...

The short of it is, Mr. Gitelman and I had a more than one-hour talk on the phone about this, because I was so very skeptical, and now I'm ready to go whole-hog. Why would he talk to me on the phone? Because I picked up the box set in November 1984 and I've been hot and heavy with nearly every community that has passed, since, including this one. He wanted to get my concerns down, try to figure out if HBS and I were on the same sheet of music, and I'm grateful and very very happy to report that, indeed, we agree on a LOT. I can't wait! I just hope my boss finds me a lot more hours, so I can pay off the debt I am about to incur, hehe.

#16 R1CK D0M

• PipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:41 PM

I'm pretty excited for this game. But I'd take a look over the backer perks before actually signing on. Otherwise I could just wait for release.

#17 Aylek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 292 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:45 PM

Looking forward to it. Absolutely backing that one!

#18 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:01 PM

If I'm here, still piloting mechs, it is because in the summer holiday of 1989, a friend of mine bought a TT, with which we played all days with 4-5 friends.
It was Battletech 2° edition.
Then during university college years, we couldn't regroup to play, so I played Crescent HAwk, 1 and 2.

It is from 1990, that I'm waiting for a Battletech PC title.

Thanks God, and thanks Kickstarter! :D

#19 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:07 PM

View PostZnSeventeen, on 25 September 2015 - 09:34 PM, said:

and hopefully a new Mechcommander type game someday.

X1000

#20 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:14 PM

View PostXander185, on 25 September 2015 - 10:02 PM, said:

Given that HBS is run by the creators of the game system, they should do a lovely job of staying close to the game they originally created. I have enjoyed their new Shadowrun turn-based games.

Jordan is the co-creator of BattleTech, I believe he was the one who wrote the Mechwarrior RPG (yeah MW was originally a pen and paper RPG). I do not doubt that HBS' BattleTech will be as true to lore as possible.

View PostCranky Puppy, on 25 September 2015 - 09:55 PM, said:

Yeah, I hate what PGI has done with the ATLAS (and the Dire Wolf to a lesser extent), I hope to see the Atlas actually stepping on light mechs rather than light mechs standing between it's legs shooting it with no consequences.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users