178 replies to this topic

#61 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:22 PM

The problem is that SRMs just don't synergize with Energy or ACs well

not true at all. AC20 and SRMs synergize pretty well. That was a staple brawling loadout back when SRMs were actually good.

The problem is, people poke their head out when/where they shouldn't and get insta-killed leading to the illusion of low TTK.

um theres no illusion of low TTK. I have dual gauss/laser builds that do 60-70 damage to a location of my choosing. And I can fire at least 3-4 times before overheating!

dual gauss + triple large pulse dire wolf does 69 damage at a range of 660m for example.

im sorry but that is f-ing stupid. period. gauss and clan lasers need some massive nerfs to restore parity to weapon balance.

Edited by Khobai, 05 October 2015 - 05:36 PM.

#62 zagibu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:26 PM

The dude who suggested damage falloff for missiles must be high. What's next? Cockpit shake for laser hits?

#63 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:27 PM

View Postzagibu, on 05 October 2015 - 05:26 PM, said:

The dude who suggested damage falloff for missiles must be high. What's next? Cockpit shake for laser hits?

Only if you receive 20 or more points of damage within a single 10 second turn, then you have to take a piloting skill check and see if you fall from the force of the weapon's impact/loss of mass from damage.... :ph34r:

Edit: Grammar... I think? Did I get it wright this thyme? :o

Edited by Tesunie, 05 October 2015 - 05:32 PM.

#64 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:01 PM

Number of matches where I used SRMs, in 2015? ZERO. Missiles definitely need more balancing love.

#65 TheMadTypist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:28 PM

I'd definitely be behind upping their velocity, that's the primary problem I have with SRMs, tracking close targets moving perpendicular to me. It often feels like laying an airborne minefield ahead of the target. They're supposed to be brawling weapons, make them cover that short distance quickly!

#66 ScreamingSkull

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 184 posts
  • LocationSC, USA

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:52 PM

I already wreck face with my 3SSRM6 2ERML Shadowcat... not sure they need this big of a buff.

#67 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:53 PM

View PostScreamingSkull, on 05 October 2015 - 07:52 PM, said:

I already wreck face with my 3SSRM6 2ERML Shadowcat... not sure they need this big of a buff.

I think he's referring to SRMs, not SSRMs.

But I still agree with you. When SRMs register their damage, they wreck face.

#68 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:39 PM

With hitreg being bad, it's kind of hard to balance them by increasing damage. In some matches they will be ok, in other matches they will be terrifying.

But SRMs are not good enough right now. If they were, the laservomit meta wouldn't be so prevalent.

#69 Scar Glamour

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:34 PM

Brawling weapons have been the scrapings from the bottom of the barrel for a long time now. The edge they give in close quarters is so minute that unless you can keep your armor at 100% right until the time you can engage you aren't going to perform well.

Oh, yeah, for all those people who itch to demonstrate anecdotal evidence of their badassery with SRMs and AC/20s, you really shouldn't bother. I believe that you are l33t or whatever and your videos prove exactly nothing.

But I guess a buff to ballistic/missile brawler weapons isn't happening. Why spend time on balance when mech packs sell anyways.

#70 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:51 PM

in addition to nerfing the !@#$ out of gauss/clan lasers/ISquirks...

they need to increase IS srm/ssrm damage to 2.5 at most. C srm damage is fine at 2 since clan srms weigh half as much.

also increase both IS and C srm velocity.

and make artemis give at least a +5% crit chance bonus to srms and direct lrms. energy and ballistic weapons get that bonus from the targeting computer so missiles should get it from artemis.

Edited by Khobai, 05 October 2015 - 09:54 PM.

#71 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:13 PM

View PostTesunie, on 05 October 2015 - 04:59 PM, said:

You got "solo kill". That means that for the entire duration you where engaged, no other teammate hit him.

No, it does not mean that. It means you did the most damage and got the killing blow. Nothing more, nothing less.

Rewards 2.0 said:

Solo Kill:
Achieve both "Kill Most Damage" and "Killing Blow" for the same target.

Kill Most Damage:
Compared to all other players, deal the most damage to a target.
The target dies.

Killing Blow:
Deal the killing shot to a target.

Edited by stjobe, 05 October 2015 - 10:13 PM.

#72 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:27 PM

View Poststjobe, on 05 October 2015 - 10:13 PM, said:

No, it does not mean that. It means you did the most damage and got the killing blow. Nothing more, nothing less.

My bad. Thanks for the correction. (I hate it when I provide bad information... <_< )

Edited by Tesunie, 05 October 2015 - 10:27 PM.

#73 Golden Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 656 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:28 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 05 October 2015 - 01:39 PM, said:

People would cry if that happened, even if it's lore proper Dead-Fire Missiles which MWO has implemented.

You might get better results with multiple buffs.

Example, :
  • 2.5 damage for isSRMs, 2.0 for Clan SRMs (half weight)
  • 500M/s velocity boost (from 300M/s)
  • 30% Spread reduction for all SRM launchers, plus 34% from Artemis. Arguably less for cSRMs

The Ammo isn't half weight. The extra ton from Artemis isn't half weight.

I say thee NAY!

#74 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:39 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 05 October 2015 - 03:40 PM, said:

I still suspect that everyone crying about hit reg with missiles is actually experience the stupid HUD bugs that stop the cursor turning red (now fixed) or the paper doll not flashing (not fixed)

Nope, those who cry about hit reg are those that unload 3xSRM6 perfectly into the rear CT and the target paper doll still shows that armor was not breached. So what? The target had 40+ rear armor? I doubt it.

I can take a Commando armed with 2xSRM4, use chain fire and spend 300 missiles to deal 500 damage per match. (out of 645 possible). But when I tried using 6xSRM6 catapult, I could not break 500 damage even with 500 missiles.

The more missiles you fire at the same time, the less will register.

Hence my suggestion: increase the missile velocity. It has been proven that HSR works best with projectiles at higher speed.
Also, if the missiles put to much strain on HSR, introduce "ripple fire" (just like Clan LRMs) so that the missile impacts happen during a longer period. Balance longer face time with higher velocity (accuracy) and more ammo per ton (more tonnage for bigger engines).

View PostJohnny Z, on 05 October 2015 - 04:29 PM, said:

Changed to 3 MPL and 2 Streak 2's. Way better. WAY.

Streaks register damage server side, just like LRMs. You are gauaranteed to deal damage using streaks. Problem is, Clans have SSRM6 and mechs that can fire 30-36 of them at the same time. IS has ONE mech that can fire 12 SSRMs at the same time.

Edited by Kmieciu, 05 October 2015 - 11:03 PM.

#75 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:51 PM

View PostKmieciu, on 05 October 2015 - 10:39 PM, said:

The more missiles you fire at the same time, the less will register.

I chain fire my SSRM2s on many of my mechs when they have them, just so more damage registers.

Could also explain why large bursts of LRMs seem to sometimes vanish. (I also have this issue with every weapon, but mostly with ballistics and missiles. Lasers alphaed together sometimes drops damage. Had a match tonight in my old 6 ML Cicada where I pumped alpha after alpha into mechs at close range. When I died, I was shocked to find out I only did 63 points of damage. I did at least 6 alphas into one mech before running away (and finding another mech to shoot at and then promptly die).)

Hit reg needs to be looked at again. Either that or I'm just special to have it affect just me... :ph34r:

#76 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:56 PM

View PostKmieciu, on 05 October 2015 - 10:39 PM, said:

Streaks register damage server side, just like LRMs. You are gauaranteed to deal damage using streaks. Problem is, Clans have SSRM6 and mechs that can fire 30-36 of them at the same time. IS has ONE mech that can fire 12 SSRMs at the same time.

SSRMs and LRMs do seem to register damage a lot better than their unguided brethren. However, I've noticed massed LRM launchers sometimes drop damage too. It's just typically a lot harder to see, seen as so many LRMs might be landing on target. (It isn't nearly as bad as the entire volleys being eaten like with SRMs though. Very minor in comparison.)

#77 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:02 PM

View PostTesunie, on 05 October 2015 - 05:03 PM, said:

If the damage had registered properly, than by the 3rd volley the Nova should have been dead. At least what I would think when 20 SRMs (40 damage) is colliding with it so much. Even if it spreads a bit...

20 IS SRMS are actually 20*2.15 = 43 damage. Nova-S has 40 internal CT structure points. Nova has a big CT hitbox. Since it had no CT armor at the beginning of the fight, each and every SRM volley should have killed it.

View PostTesunie, on 05 October 2015 - 10:51 PM, said:

I chain fire my SSRM2s

You don't need to. SSRMs don't use HSR at all. You can fire 5xSSRM6 at a light mech and take off all of its armor in a single salvo, or instagib him in one hit.
In theory C-SRM6s have 50% more DPS over C-SSRM6s. But in practice Streaks register much more damage. But if your've using clantech, you might as well boat ERSL or SPL since they are superior against both light and assault mechs. A Nova armed with SPLs can outbrawl any IS assault, especially if its using SRMS ;-)

Edited by Kmieciu, 05 October 2015 - 11:09 PM.

#78 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:22 PM

in general I don't think increasing the damage of weapons is the way to go; TTL is short enough as it is.

reducing the damage/amount of long range pinpoint would give people more incentive to get into brawls, and is something that ought to be done anyway (long range weapons are not disadvantaged enough at short range currently.)

#79 TheCharlatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:07 AM

Fix SRM hitreg first.
SRMs are already brutal. Problem is they have bad hit-reg, which is why people don't use it.

#80 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:31 AM

I think the best solution is to nerf global laser duration. Make lasers harder to use, cause them to spread more damage... it would make SRMs and ballistics more attractive to use.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users