Mech Re-Balance Pts Phase 2

572 replies to this topic

#461 Fisslag

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:43 AM

the changes sound nice (overall), only thing we need now is passive radar! and stop whining about the max range (maybe you fear, you have to use something else than lasers now and are too ****** to aim properly with other weapons?), as i understand it, you`ll still have the same effective range for the lasers, only the dmg reduction after that is much, much steeper (hopefully the end of laser vomit - that brings me to the point, why aren't ppl bored playing boring meta?)

ps: reduced effectiveness of lasers when fired without target lock is utter bs

Edited by Fisslag, 15 October 2015 - 12:48 AM.

#462 K19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 355 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:12 AM

Alleluia Alleluia Alleluia :D It's time to change but PGI long players that go not like that style and they will fight good luck guys. Another note change the standard weapons especially for "mehs Money" ;)

#463 Blockpirat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 155 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:53 AM

Just like last PTS session I can't get any matches. Gave up after almost an hour of waiting. Maybe I can find the time to try again during European primetime.

PGI, what about allowing the PTS matchmaker to start 8v8 or even 4v4 matches if it can't get 24 players after, let's say, ten minutes of waiting?

#464 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:48 AM

man... PTS is like a ghost town.

i got online in it a few hours ago, Sean Lang was the only person on my list who was on at that time. spent about 20 minutes searching for games... nothing... i mean nothing.

the queue was light: 17% - M: 17% - H: 17% - A:50%
basically 6 people total.

#465 Teefrs

Rookie

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:07 AM

Well, I gave it about 2 hours this morning......couldnt get past the 72 meter range on my unlocked small pulse lasers .......try to cycle targets and get one thats 1200m away instead of the one standing right in front of me.....clan heat thing is a mess...
reduced effectiveness of lasers when fired without target lock is utter and complete nonsense. point at ground next to target, range says 210m, point at unlocked target, range says 72.....if i can hit the ground next to the target how wouldnt i be able to hit the target?

Edited by Teefrs, 15 October 2015 - 05:26 AM.

#466 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:25 AM

View PostCharlie Pohr, on 14 October 2015 - 10:37 PM, said:

For me, this is less about how many clan mechs I own (just slightly more) but more about the game's identity.

Clan tech is supposed to be superior. That's what Mechwarrior is all about.

If you take too much of it away, how is it even clan tech anymore? How is it even Battletech?

For me, when I choose to drive a IS mech, its making a conscience decision to not be so overly concerned about the meta and just have fun. I would rather PGI find some other ways to make this game more engaging than making it just about who dishes the most dmg.

how does your argument make any sense?
you wish the game not to be about who dishes the most dmg;
but you also want one side to be clearly able to dish out more damage than the other

what's going on in that little head of yours

is this one of those arguments born out of feelings and emotions?

"it doesn't FEEEEEEEEEEL like battletekz"

For me, when I choose to drive a IS mech, its making a conscience decision to not be so overly concerned about the meta and just have fun.

not having a level playing field is not "fun".
it is a waste of time for half the players involved - why would you take part in a race where only you have your ankles tied? to find out if you or the other guy wins? NEWSFLASH YOU LOSE!

the only thing you manage to have done is waste your time

so what it boils down to is that you want inner sphere players to give up any hope of competing in the first place and just like masochists; play a first person shooter in which you are supposed to have fun while losing.
and the people who play clan mechs should just happen to win; but not really care about winning

oh yeah and each player gets to pick a side. - (we're hopeful that 50% will choose IS)

thats hilarious man. consider a career in comedy.

Edited by Mazzyplz, 15 October 2015 - 05:39 AM.

#467 GenJack

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:25 AM

I enjoy all these changes!

Lock on Laser targeting system sounds awesome
and makes sense that you would need to focal point your lasers.

#468 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:40 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 14 October 2015 - 10:04 PM, said:

How would future mechs be more deadly even before this? Mechs themselves where not altered here. I don't understand how this would affect buying new mechs or not in any way, shape, or form vs. the present situation.

As well, adding more, always more powerful mechs results in power creep and pay2win complaints. Ideally, those new mechs should offer new and different build options, new and different geometries, etc. They should not be objectively better.

The future mechs themselves wouldn't be better, their weapons would be. As battletech advanced the time line, weapons went from tech 1, to tech 2 and eventually to tech 3. Each advance in tech brought longer ranged, more deadly weapons. Take the Stalker 3h, under tech 2 rules (if you allow customization of battlemechs) you could fit 4x MRM40's on to it. They are basically unguided SRM's with longer range (and less damage, each missile does 1 damage) An alpha from this stalker would be like getting hit by 8xLBX 20's at once. Mediums and small mechs would disappear, heavies (if they survive) would probably lose most of their weapons. They are available in 3058. Another example, the RAC 5, the muromets should be able to mount 3 of them. Each one could fire 6xac 5 rounds at once. That's a quick 120 point alpha, and would probably core every mech in the game. It is available in 3062.

This is why people talk about advancing the time line, within 10 years balancing IS weapons vs clan weapons is no longer an issue as both sides have very deadly weapons to choose from. In fact under current MWO rules, IS battlemechs will be greatly superior to omnimechs (both clan and IS) as they can change engines - that is the single largest advantage when it comes to fitting weapons. By nerfing clan weapons now (down to tech 1 weapons) PGI has pretty much forced themselves to either nerf the newer weapons or remove all nerfs from clan weapons, and acknowledge that tech 1 weapons are garbage as they were suppose to be. So if every weapon advancement is going to be nerfed down to tech 1 standards, are you still going to look forward to new weapons?

#469 Gentleman Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 733 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, the land of slurpees and potholes

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:01 AM

Man PTS servers are dead right now. What time do people normally flock on to it?

#470 Valkyrie Vewas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 349 posts
  • LocationPhx Az

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:18 AM

Starts packing his maddog hvy lrm mech into a box... I will miss you

#471 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:42 AM

we have "Fire here "Arrows over the heads , Zoom, Nightsight ,Heatsight ...and can not firing with a small Laser (only MW Game with beamtime for Laser) of a Shut down Mech with 14m Height in in 300m with full Damage ...good ,we have no Aerospacefighters in game:)

and TT is very Bad Rules .the Pilots making only Positions and Weaponsselect ...all others make the Dice ...a Superpilot can not aiming of a single Hitzone by a enemy Mech walking in 30m

Edited by CSJ Ranger, 15 October 2015 - 08:42 AM.

#472 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:54 AM

Can I please build IS lasers on my Clanmechs now, or are we now having low range superhot lasers? How this announcements speaks about "heat efficiency" balance and reduced the less heatefficient clanlasers to be even less heatefficient.

Now clanlasers have the higher base heat, less treshold, tiny more heatdissipation, still longer beamduration.
This will just detsroy 30% of the clanchassis even further, that by design don't have a chance to use something else than lasers, and keep everyone going with gauss, ppc and Ac's on the clanners.

This attemp did again failed to adress the chassis imbalance MWO has, and as long as PGI won't understand this, they will just ruin some chassis more and more.

at this point I just want every tech available on EVERY mech. that probably creates more balance than this, which is already a fail on paper.

Think about any squishy mech relying on hit and run tactics only able to carry lasers by it's tonnage? How are they not going to be totally pointless now.

30 fixed heattreshold is all we needed to fix a lot issues, instead lets make anything even more and more complicated to make sure on steamlaunch no new palyer is able to never undertsand the weird mechanics of MWO.

At least, this announcement made it easier for me to choose what game to play on weekend.

Edited by Lily from animove, 15 October 2015 - 09:15 AM.

#473 WeekendWarrior

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:22 AM

Do i understand that correctly that this TEST has Clan ER Lasers (the ER stands for Extreme Range btw) with a shorter range than IS Lasers, and Clan DHS that are actually worse than IS DHS?

#474 Domenoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 461 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:34 AM

View PostWeekendWarrior, on 15 October 2015 - 09:22 AM, said:

Do i understand that correctly that this TEST has Clan ER Lasers (the ER stands for Extreme Range btw) with a shorter range than IS Lasers, and Clan DHS that are actually worse than IS DHS?

No. You are mistaken. Please log in to the test and see for yourself.

#475 Gentleman Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 733 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, the land of slurpees and potholes

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:36 AM

Clan DHSs have a lower capacity than the IS's now (1.2 vs 1.5) but clan DHSs have the advantage in cooling rate (0.15 vs 0.1) This means that while Clan mechs will overheat faster than IS mechs under similar circumstances, they have much faster cooling.

As for the lasers, clan lasers still have a higher max range, although now it's not much higher than the IS's, but their optimal range is still the same as before, being significantly higher than the IS's. One thing not in the patch notes is that the IS's large lasers had their max range reduced so that they don't surpass the clan's

#476 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:37 AM

View PostMoenrg, on 14 October 2015 - 09:37 PM, said:

However, I had hoped that future mechs would be more deadly and thus we'd have a reason to get then. By treading down this path, PGI has eliminated this reason to expand our inventories. That doesn't seem like a well thought out decision on their part.....

Er, quite the opposite is true. People will try and buy balanced 'mechs out of a desire to pilot something new - if only to spend their c-bills. However, do you think those of us who've spent time (and money!) on older 'mechs are going to keep shelling out once the power creep sets in? I won't. If this game ever becomes pay to win, I'll find another game - and unless things have changed massively since the introduction of consumables, I'm not nearly alone in this.

View PostCharlie Pohr, on 14 October 2015 - 10:37 PM, said:

For me, this is less about how many clan mechs I own (just slightly more) but more about the game's identity.

Clan tech is supposed to be superior. That's what Mechwarrior is all about.

Really? What was it about before they released the Clan sourcebooks? You cannot have a PvP game where one side has a massive firepower advantage in a format where one person controls one 'Mech - it causes problems. Assymetric team sizes don't fix the issues; "but, BattleValue" isn't a solution either. The bottom line is that if you want to have a competitive team game, the teams need to be competitive. We all know the Clans were broken (and only beaten by a terribly improbable deus ex machina) when FASA released them - but we're not playing that game. Put the rulebook for the other game down, and stop hitting. We've been having this conversation for years. Just... stop.

View PostIaldabaoth, on 15 October 2015 - 12:00 AM, said:

Adjusting damage based on target lock is incorrect; instead, you should only get convergence if you have a target lock (and convergence should be to the distance to the locked mech, instead of distance to the reticle).

Unfortunately, delayed/variable convergence is incompatible with the netcode at this time. That's not to say we might not see it later, but for right now there are nontrivial software engineering hurdles that must be crossed before we can integrate HSR and convergence.

#477 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:43 AM

No, at least fire the clan DHS clan DHS now have less heattreshold than a IS DHS, but they dissipate more heat.
But the laser things, wow JUST WOW, i don't think someoen did the math here at all, he just thought those values sound good and implemented them. WHta would happen if the time advances so IS ER meds are available? are they going to compeltely change ANYTHING again? there is just no valid concept because they adjust the wrong things.

#478 Dagorlad13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 516 posts
  • LocationClan Ghost Bear Occupation Zone.

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:40 AM

Ok, I am over my initial shock, I don't have time to waste being upset over this, so I will just wait and see how it turns out.

#479 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:45 AM

First.... No it doesn't, tge ER stands for 'Extended Range'
Second, no, they still have a longer range than IS lasers. The IS ERLLs got the same nerf... The normal range on both has stayed the same. It's only instead of doing damage out to twice their normal range, they do it out to 160% of normal range.... This makes sense to me, and I like the way they did it... After I calmed down and thought about it a little bit.

Also, no on the DHSs... Well.... Depending on your perspective... The Clan heatsinks will cool you down FASTER than IS ones, at the cost of having a lower capacity for heat. Which isn't a bad deal at all, really. The values may need sone tweaking, but I'd rather have a mech that sheds heat faster than one that gets hot and stays hot.

Thjs mechanic is familiar to me from the Armored Core franchise, which is one of my favorite game series ever. I actually suggested this concept in the previous PTS thread, I really think we don't give PGI credit for how much they do listen for ideas.

View PostLily from animove, on 15 October 2015 - 09:43 AM, said:

No, at least fire the clan DHS clan DHS now have less heattreshold than a IS DHS, but they dissipate more heat.
But the laser things, wow JUST WOW, i don't think someoen did the math here at all, he just thought those values sound good and implemented them. WHta would happen if the time advances so IS ER meds are available? are they going to compeltely change ANYTHING again? there is just no valid concept because they adjust the wrong things.

IS ER weapons are effected the same as the clan ones... So it actually makes a good reason for one to choose one over the other, dependong on build. And I like how they did it,actually...

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 15 October 2015 - 10:51 AM.

#480 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:05 AM

View PostElit3 Nick, on 15 October 2015 - 08:01 AM, said:

Man PTS servers are dead right now. What time do people normally flock on to it?

Evenings, PST. Last night, I got matches with shorter waits than I do on live - pretty much instantly, throughout the evening.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users