Mobile Clan Assaults: Warhawk Or Executioner?

BattleMechs

46 replies to this topic

#1 fat4eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 491 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:21 PM

I've decided to finally learn how to play assault mechs by getting and eliting a clan mech chassis, and I'd like some advice. I prefer mobile gameplay, and don't really have a weapon style preference (though I would like a mech that hits like an assault and is not just an up-armored heavy). The Dire Wolf has a great punch, but it is out because it's too slow. The Gargoyle is out too because though it's pretty fast it can't pack enough weapons.

That leaves the Warhawk and the Executioner. I've seen the Warhawk played well with different loadouts (laserboat, Gauss, LRM boat) which is definitely a plus, and it moves fast enough. I've mostly seen Executioner laserboats (boring but effective), but it does have jumpjets and more interestingly, MASC. It seems that the Executioner would be better at peekaboo than the Warhawk due to MASC, but it is a taller target. On the other hand the Warhawk looks way too much like a Dire Wolf and is a focus fire magnet (and like the Dire Wolf its side torsos are impossible to miss).

I'd like to hear some opinions from assault pilots to help me decide which one to pick. Some tips on how to pilot them effectively would be great too.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:24 PM

Warhawk:
  • Very good torso twist radius (especially compared to Exe)
  • Can utilize large payloads of energy with decent heat efficiency (especially 4 LPL)
  • Also better at using big missiles and ballistics if you're into those
  • Has some modest quirks

Executioner:
  • MASC is amazing on assault mechs
  • Hoverjets
  • High-mounted side torso weapons
  • Better hitboxes
  • Can boat lots of small or medium lasers better

#3 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:40 PM

warhawk or executioner?

gargoyle.

#4 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:43 PM

Fupdup laid it out better than I could.

If you need a large humanoid-ish Clan mech that relies on direct fire (and not LRMs), the Executioner is an excellent choice.

If you need "all the LRMs" on a Clan Assault or want more tonnage to play with (but having limited crit options), the Warhawk is a great alternative.

The Executioner will set you back lots of C-bills though... I suggest you consider waiting as much as you possibly can before a sale comes along.

View PostKhobai, on 15 October 2015 - 06:40 PM, said:

warhawk or executioner?

gargoyle.

lol no

Edited by Deathlike, 15 October 2015 - 06:46 PM.

#5 Neathdrawls

• PipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:19 PM

12 SPL Gargoyle =D

Very, very fun.

#6 Sixpack

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:06 PM

Warhawk.

Dual UAC-20's of doom.

#7 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:08 PM

Warhawk, because it can Dual Gauss, not well, but it can without sacrifices :D

Executioner might be a little more durable thanks to shield arms and good geometry for spreading damage much better, but Warhawk can carry alot more punch as well as viable mixed loads.

#8 Illya Ghost Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 500 posts
  • LocationTaking your planets, eating your cookies.

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:14 PM

I really like my Executioner so far..... whereas I have not grown fond of my Warhawk after a year of use.

Can't wait to unlock mine.

Of course, if the warhawk could actually use it's bloody PPCs, maybe IU would like it more.

Edited by Illya Arkhipova, 15 October 2015 - 08:15 PM.

#9 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:22 PM

In short, Warhawk is all around better for our current version of MWO (before the upcoming adjustment).
  • Warhawk is generally a medium to long range Mech because of the hardpoints. That you usually put all of your guns on the arms makes aiming accurate and easy.
  • Executioner can excel in short range combat because of its hardpoints and MASC. It can also do lasers or lasers + Gauss so it's not deficient in medium to long range engagements. It can't do missiles well because of 2M hardpoints.

Edited by Hit the Deck, 15 October 2015 - 08:23 PM.

#10 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:14 PM

Gladbag is an excellent berzerker/skirmisher.

I like my 5ERMed + LBX20 build, just have to hope I don't drop against too much meta.

But 2LPL+5SPL is ******* hilarious, 2UAC5+6ERSL is pretty fun too.

I WAS going to attempt twin UAC10s and 2ERMed on the loyalty Exe, but I'm not sure. The new right arm ballistic pod is much bulkier than the left, for no ******* reason.

#11 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:47 PM

Warhawk. Feels like a real walker mech.

Executioner. Its pretty brutal too but somehow feels like a walking totem pole, or a giant Frakenstein monster.

#12 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:50 PM

View PostAnjian, on 15 October 2015 - 10:47 PM, said:

Warhawk. Feels like a real walker mech.

Executioner. Its pretty brutal too but somehow feels like a walking totem pole, or a giant Frakenstein monster.

That's part of why I like it, It feels overbearing and intimidating.

#13 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:01 PM

If you can utilize MASC efficiently and play the poke (primarily from the right side), the Executioner is easily the 2nd best Clan Assault.

The WHK on the other hand, is better all around. It can do ballistics, energy, and missiles, with great heat efficiency, (somewhat) decent hardpoints, and an amazing torso twist radius.

My personal recommendation would be the Warhawk. I felt the Executioner was absolutely terrible at first, and it's taken a lot of practice to get a feel for the correct play style, so the Warhawk is definitely more forgiving.

Also, if most of the PTS changes make it into the final game, the big bad energy boating Executioner is not going to see very many happy days, so if you buy that now you may have a relatively useless assault mech by the time you get them elited.

#14 Archie4Strings

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 659 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:24 PM

I strongly recommend the warhawk. I mastered both and i was really waiting for the executioner. Masc, JJ... thought it is great fun. But the mech is really limited with just 26 tons for weapons...
The Masc surely helps you to avoid missiles, but you are not fast enough for outmanouevering a mech. Maybe it works for a direwolf, but just for a moment. And once he got you again, your are dead, cause your firepower isnt enough to get through his armor...
It is nice for brawling, but thats it....

The warhawk therefor is fine with dual gauss, dual AC10, 3 Er PPcs and lrms, 3-4 LPLs, very good LRM-Boat, or a jack of all trade-builds... I prefer the 3 ERPPC Sniper variant!
Exe is a Brawler! Laser Boat or UAC20 and a few lasers... thats it...

Actually the Warhawk can do everything a executioner can, except for the missing JJ and MASC, but he can also load a decent load of weapons and do much more damage with it.

#15 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:29 PM

Banshee! ... Oh uhhhh, I'd go with the Warhawk. It has more build options plus it's lighter for CW if that's your thing.

#16 Macster16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 576 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:04 AM

What kills it for me with the EXE is the atrocious torso YAW at just 70 which I think is the second worst behind the DWF's 65(?). Although its free tonnage is somewhat limited for a 95t assault, it's got all the energy hardpoints you could ask for to make full potential out of its limited tonnage. The thing can also tank like a champ with its humanoid hitboxes and shield arms. I was considering getting into them myself, but as someone who likes a workable level of agility in my mechs (which is why I'll never get a DWF), the EXE's torso yaw turns me right off.

The WHK is probably the safer bet IMO.

#17 1Grimbane

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,123 posts
  • Locationsafe. . . . . you'll never get me in my hidey hole.

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:08 AM

Nothing wrong with the dire, i have four and love every build, Warhawk is better than exec imo, lower profile and let's be honest 4 erppc's with a TC and the rest of weight in dbl sinks with the erppc quirks is a killer build, also multiple lrg pulse and srm's are another good option, i now have four executioners as well and wish i had four more warhawks instead

#18 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:33 AM

Warhawk is my best mech all in all. I have run everything from 4PPC 4Large Pulse over Laservomit+Lrm40 and mixed build of 2Large Pulse + Ultra10 + Srm18 down to dual Ultra20.
It fits my mobile playstyle perfectly.
Haven´t tried the Exe yet.

#19 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:34 AM

I would warmly suggest the Executioner.. And here are my reasons:

1) Exe is like if a gargoyle and a nova had a love child. Its a Gargoyle on steroids.
2) Exe is super manuverable, MASC makes it nimble (for an assault) and the Jump Jets are super useful.
3) Exe has high mounts in the torsos, and very low mounts in the arms. Arm mounts do take some getting used to, but the high ones are perfect for laser/ppc sniping.
4) Warhawk is like a Direwolf.. a box wit legs. It gets shot in the CT waaaay to easily, and because of this is the ONLY mech i ever sold in this game
5) Executioner can reach a top speed of 71.6 mastered.
6) Exe has a much thinner silhouette, and is therefore harder to hit from the side
7) Exe can boat the shait out of lasers, but can also effectively use ballistics and missiles
8) Lookes good even without cammo, and just basic paint installed
9) One of a few assaults that can totally take care of itself against a light if you know what you're doing.

It does have some drawback though:

1) Really low arm hardpoints that take some getting used to
2) UGLY arms stumps that look like it sustained a war injury and lost its arms in a previous drop.
3) You will always need that JUST ONE MORE slot for the perfect build.
4) Best Exe builds are not tonnage-effective.. my best and most powerful builds cap at 86-ish tons, out of the 95 available..
5) Lots of hard locked components (MASC, JJ's, and that one stupid heatsink)
6) Bad CT hitboxes. Fragile arms. You have to take care of that right arm or most of your lasers go byebye, but you can set up your mech to have all its weapons on the right and shield with your left, so it is manageable.

All in all... the EXE is SO much better than the Warhawk..

To prove this.. yesterday, on Frozen city, I stood toe-to-toe with a full blown DakaWolf. No cover, no movement, just two mechs shooting eachother's torsos. I walked away. The Wolf did not.

To be fair, I peppered him with LRM first, so he was yellow when we started.. but hey, serves him right for not bringing any LRM's to the party.

You have to play tactically with an Executioner.. But the feeling you get when you straight up advance and just keep coming at a DireWolf, or a Jegermech and they keep shooting you like at a wall, and you just core them dead in a few shots...

Felt like friggin Jason from friday the 13th.

Edited by Vellron2005, 16 October 2015 - 12:43 AM.

#20 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 01:14 AM

View PostFupDup, on 15 October 2015 - 06:24 PM, said:

Warhawk:
  • Very good torso twist radius (especially compared to Exe)
  • Can utilize large payloads of energy with decent heat efficiency (especially 4 LPL)
  • Also better at using big missiles and ballistics if you're into those
  • Has some modest quirks
Executioner:
  • MASC is amazing on assault mechs
  • Hoverjets
  • High-mounted side torso weapons
  • Better hitboxes
  • Can boat lots of small or medium lasers better

Hear hear. Very good.

Personally, I prefer the WHK due to large laser builds.
But a 6xERSL arm in the executioner is really funny :D

Also, this

Edited by Paigan, 16 October 2015 - 01:38 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users