#481 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:10 AM

View PostStefano McCarron, on 09 August 2012 - 12:30 AM, said:

Hey Hayden!

Could you please your remake ofthe McCarron´s Unit Insignia plus the regiment Insignias?
I would be pleased! Thanks a lot!

Do you mind if I take considerable artistic licence with 'em?

#482 Stefano McCarron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationCity of Bochum, Planet Menke

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:26 AM

hehe
What do you want to say?
On wich of the insignias?

#483 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:36 AM

View PostStefano McCarron, on 09 August 2012 - 02:26 AM, said:

hehe
What do you want to say?
On wich of the insignias?

Well, what I mean is, they'll look as they "should" per the textual descriptions. But expect them to be unlike the ones on cammospecs. You'll see what I mean.

ED: as an aside, I'll be doing the whole "set". I've been meaning to do these for a while.

Edited by Hayden, 09 August 2012 - 02:38 AM.

#484 Stefano McCarron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:00 AM

I know the ones on camospecs, but i need em in a size like the others in here...

#485 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

View PostStefano McCarron, on 09 August 2012 - 05:00 AM, said:

I know the ones on camospecs, but i need em in a size like the others in here...

All my insignia are the same size. Don't worry :P

#486 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

Hayden, can you contact me about creation of a unit logo for our Mercenary group? Thanks!

#487 Rheaper

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts
  • LocationDarkside of a Moon

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

Hayden, would you mind contacting me regarding the creation of an insignia for my corp?

#488 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

Alright, so this is going to be a bit of a trickle, but I've been finding some time here and there.

First up are the 1st and 2nd St. Ives Janissaries. I always liked the fact that these units were modeled on the Ceti Hussars, so instead of going with the shield depicted in canonical sources, I decided to break and go with one based off the Ceti Hussars insignia. The jump ship is replaced by a white horse, and the elements seen on the original insignia are maintained but moved around and in some cases re-sized. I interpreted the Gold (1st) and Silver (2nd) trim as non metalic (per my modus operandi), so that it appears gold/yellow and grayish.

ED: My take on what a Pre-Black May massacre St. Ives Janissaries insignia would look like. This is meant as a Brigade insignia, before the 1st and 2nd were upgraded to brigade levels in their own right.
Posted Image

1st St. Ives Janissaries
Posted Image
2nd St. Ives Janissaries
Posted Image
ED: 3rd St. Ives Janissaries. This unit never made it to "prime time". It was still in the process of being formed when the CCAF invaded the Compact. It's existing forces were later assigned elsewhere, and plans to build the unit after the end of the conflict seem to have languished.
Posted Image

Now for something completely different... The 1st Capellan Defense Force isn't formed from the remains of Stapleton's Grenadiers until around the 3060s, but I thought I'd throw it in, since I haven't been showing the Capellans as much affection as some others.
Posted Image
ED: Once upon a time there was a Terran March within the Federated Suns, which was later absorbed into the Draconis March. The notion of a Terran March Militia appeals to me to no end, but as far as I can tell one either didn't exist, hasn't been covered in existing source material, or was only very obscure. So, without a decent source I decided to make one up. The gold background and red stripe are meant to represent Robinson, which was the Capital of the Terran March and later the Draconis march (per Sarna, none of my sources had anything). The star is meant to represent both the traditional ties with terra, as well as the potential threat posed by the Terran Hegemony.
Posted Image
ED: Purely conjectural Insignia for a St. Ives Provisional Salvage Brigade. Some of these did see combat, specifically the brigade commanded by Col. Lucas Tolek on Milos. The colors are meant to be very simple and straight-forward, as is the design as a whole, given the wartime/provisional nature of the unit. I may have had the ROK's 9th Infantry insignia in mind when I whipped this up.
Posted Image
ED: Subdued version of my St. Ives insignia.
Posted Image
ED: 7th Capellan Reserve Calvary. To give the Cappies a little more love and attention.
Posted Image
ED: conjectural 3rd St. Ives Lancers insignia. Not sure if we'll ever see one, but I've had this idea in mind for a while and just wanted to do it.
Posted Image
Thanks for watching! More to come!

Edited by Hayden, 18 August 2012 - 08:33 PM.

#489 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

Damn those look good!

#490 Stefano McCarron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

Hayden PM!

#491 Ironhawk

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:48 AM

Hayden, that last set is your best insignia work so far. It was a good thing I was sitting down while browsing those because they blew me away. Really love them!

#492 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:05 AM

View PostKay Wolf, on 17 August 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

Damn those look good!

Thanks Kay, always good to hear from you.

View PostIronhawk, on 19 August 2012 - 05:48 AM, said:

Hayden, that last set is your best insignia work so far. It was a good thing I was sitting down while browsing those because they blew me away. Really love them!

Haha, awesome. I'm really happy to hear you liked them. I actually just though they were generally "OK" but I'll admit I was terribly pleased with the Janissary insignia.

#493 Lorash

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:46 AM

Wow, the art on these pages is really inspiring! This has to be one of the few threads I've read all the way through. :P
..and on a personal note: Yay Orloff Grenadiers!

#494 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:47 AM

View PostLorash, on 19 August 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

Wow, the art on these pages is really inspiring! This has to be one of the few threads I've read all the way through. :P
..and on a personal note: Yay Orloff Grenadiers!

Haha, on a personal note I have to redo that one. I got my hands on Field Manual: FWL and there are a few changes I'll need to be making. You can expect more FWLM insignia in the near future, ideally.

ED: Also, really glad you like the stuff.

Edited by Hayden, 19 August 2012 - 06:48 AM.

#495 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

I do enjoy this topic.

If you feel real bored and would "upgrade these 2 old unit Insignias from my Merc Corps, that'd be killer, since both are pretty basic, pen and paper stuff. (and made when I was 15-16.. with a slightly different aesthetic than today)

DAMAGE INCORPORATED
Posted Image
(Yes, I am still a huge Metallica fan)
This is the Mercenary Command that Bishop Steiner owns. It focuses on combined arms heavy assaults, mixing mostly heavy and assault mechs, with light and medium "chaos" flankers, supported by ARROW IV equipped VTOLs and Artillery Mechs. Definite proponents of the Steiner "HAMMER DOCTRINE" of battle.

HELL'S ARMADILLOS
Posted Image
A unit that likely wont see the light of day in MW:O, because they don't own a single mech. It is entirely composed of Armor, Air Cav, Artillery and Infantry units, along with some highly speciliazed SAS type infantry unit. A tough as neails, grizzled and reliable unit that is more than happy to deflate the ego complexes of "superior" Mech forces.

#496 3ffigy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

Out of curiosity where/how are you sourcing some of the shapes and such for use in these? Are you creating them yourself, buying stock images or using free custom shape packs etc? For instance I've tried looking for some of the horse designs, swords, sunburst, and star burst shapes I'm seeing in these logos, but am not having much luck finding them. I find plenty of free photoshop custom shapes and random images in google image search that take me to various stock photo type sites, but nothing that matches anything here.

#497 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

View Post3ffigy, on 23 August 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

Out of curiosity where/how are you sourcing some of the shapes and such for use in these? Are you creating them yourself, buying stock images or using free custom shape packs etc? For instance I've tried looking for some of the horse designs, swords, sunburst, and star burst shapes I'm seeing in these logos, but am not having much luck finding them. I find plenty of free photoshop custom shapes and random images in google image search that take me to various stock photo type sites, but nothing that matches anything here.

I'm pretty sure most of us are creating them from scratch using a combination of Photoshop, Illustrator and/or Gimp.

#498 3ffigy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

I thought perhaps folks were importing custom shapes and/or silhouettes into Photoshop for things like swords, symbols, horses etc to use as part of their logo design and then modifying them from there.

#499 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

View Post3ffigy, on 23 August 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

I thought perhaps folks were importing custom shapes and/or silhouettes into Photoshop for things like swords, symbols, horses etc to use as part of their logo design and then modifying them from there.

Nope, all home grown (at least in my case and I'm sure it's the same with Hayden and IronHawk).

#500 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

View Post3ffigy, on 23 August 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

When making my images I visually reference the source material when available (I.E. canonical insignia), or get textual descriptions when available/applicable. Using whichever source I feel fits best, I then go forward with the design. Almost all designs are done from completely from scratch (the only real exception to this rule is when I re-purpose images from other work, such as my rampant utilization of my rendition of the St. Ives Armored Cavalry Horse or in the cases where units have similar insignia, such as the Davion Guards, Hussars of Oriente, etc). Generally I tend to heavily favor the use of earlier references when I do my work, as these are generally more succinct and simple images. This is why my Davion Guards insignia look the way they do, instead of the later design that most people are familiar with.

ED: As Hartsblade said, homegrown.

Edited by Hayden, 23 August 2012 - 11:11 PM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users