#121 Clideb50

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 194 posts
  • LocationMaine, United States

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:06 AM

View PostPeeWrinkle, on 20 November 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

It seems to me that these packs are geared toward a new player. But I can see people who have played for a while picking some up as well.

For the veteran players they know exactly what they are buying and there will be no guess work on whether they want the contents of the pack or not. For them getting a bit of MC, some premium time, and two mechs they want or may already be playing that have CBill bonuses could be enough to trigger a purchase. Do I see many doing that? Probably not, but some could and lets face it this cost PGI nothing whether they are purchased or not.

I have a friend whose favorite 'mech is the Raven 3L. He picked up the light 'mech pack because of that c-bill bonus. Everything else was just icing on the cake. I have to admit if the Vulture (Mad Dog), Centurion CN9-A, or CN9-D were in one of the packs, I probably would've considered picking one up too.

Personally I see these packs as decent start points for new players. They get a nice bonus of c-bills and mc to play with, and a strong starting 'mech. I know skill trees, and CW drop decks have been thrown about, but in my opinion; most new players aren't going to dive right into CW. If they do, they'll just be stomped right out of interest in it. (Hell I had a deck of mastered, modulated, and tuned for both factions, and I still just got rolled over.) Most new players aren't going to be worried about skill trees. They'll want to try out many different 'mechs before settling on one, and beginning the climb. The c-bill bonus will help them grind up c-bills for both trying new 'mechs, and the variants for those they want to master.

TL,DR: The packs feel like they're just meant to be a stepping stone in helping new players get on the right track.

Edited by Regulus1990, 21 November 2015 - 08:15 AM.

#122 Kira Onime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:16 AM

View PostLORD ORION, on 19 November 2015 - 09:42 PM, said:

The heavy pack is an excellent value.

They could also take away the 15$ worth of MC, let people decide if they want it, and sell the pack for 15-20$ cheaper and possibly get more sales.

Premium and camo is nice, but think about it, at the end of the day you're really getting 2 mechs and some goodies for 50$.

#123 MrElusive

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:32 AM

this might have been a good deal if the $60.00 pack included the other 6 mech's.

I just don't see the value in spending the $60.00 for the two mech's.

#124 MrElusive

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:45 AM

View PostDrake67, on 19 November 2015 - 11:01 PM, said:

The collectors urbie has a S

I bought the urbie pack. I must say they are worthless since they are slow if you try to add a small amount of fire power to them, and if you can make them a little faster then, they do very little damage.

#125 MADUSMC

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMurica

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:46 AM

I am going to preface this in admitting that I did not read every single post so someone may have said this already.

I think a better idea would be to sell a 4 Mech pack. Have preassembled drop decks for CW. I feel that it would be much more useful than these packs that they are offering. They could bundle 4 Mechs and a few modules or something. The community could vote on the composition of the drop deck as we get to with the champion Mechs.

#126 M T

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGouda, South Holland

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:14 PM

Is the phranken pattern for sale seperately? And if not, does buying this pack unlock the pattern for all the same mechs you already own? (same chassis)

#127 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:26 PM

View PostMrElusive, on 21 November 2015 - 09:45 AM, said:

I bought the urbie pack. I must say they are worthless since they are slow if you try to add a small amount of fire power to them, and if you can make them a little faster then, they do very little damage.

Sounds like you're doing Urbies wrong then.

Basically, stick a XL180 in there, fill the ballistic slots up with MGs, put a LL and some MLs in there, and top up with JJs and MG ammo. 106.9 kph with Speed Tweak, and a very capable little poke-and-scavenge 'mech.

#128 Kalamity27

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 145 posts
  • LocationEST

Posted 21 November 2015 - 02:00 PM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 19 November 2015 - 05:31 PM, said:

This seems nice o help some new players with some money to get a taste of top performing mechs before seeing what mech suites them best

I expect a few friends to start playing around steam launch. Diffidently going to recommend they go this direction first. Plus premium time, cbills and mc to get them started.

#129 Tahawus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:27 PM

With the inclusion of the MC, I think this is really an attractive entry point. Pricing might be a bit high, but probably not horribly so. When starting out, CBills are the primary limitation, and having two cbill bonus mechs with ok loadouts to generate a starting nest egg to use to figure out the game is a big leg up.

The cadet bonus with premium time and +30% CBills is a great way to start the game out. That'll have them somewhere in the 15 million CBill range (depending on performance), which will get them at least one more chassis of almost any class fully outfitted, and having the MC for some extras (additional premium time probably being the best investment).

If a new player were to ask me what they should do to get started, I'd probably suggest that they pick either the medium or heavy pack, and use those mechs through the entire cadet bonus period.

#130 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:43 PM

View PostTahawus, on 21 November 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

With the inclusion of the MC, I think this is really an attractive entry point. Pricing might be a bit high, but probably not horribly so. When starting out, CBills are the primary limitation, and having two cbill bonus mechs with ok loadouts to generate a starting nest egg to use to figure out the game is a big leg up.

The cadet bonus with premium time and +30% CBills is a great way to start the game out. That'll have them somewhere in the 15 million CBill range (depending on performance), which will get them at least one more chassis of almost any class fully outfitted, and having the MC for some extras (additional premium time probably being the best investment).

If a new player were to ask me what they should do to get started, I'd probably suggest that they pick either the medium or heavy pack, and use those mechs through the entire cadet bonus period.

A new player with a right mind would NEVER pick any of these...

Why?

because 60$ is a CRAZY high amount and for the same money a new player can easily get a tier 3 resistance 2 pack with:
9 mechs in three weight classes he can use in CW (including mechbays) with 3 cbill bonus mechs and 30 days premtime (banked). 4.. FOUR Freaking faction patterns and TWENTY FOUR colors.

Lets be real guys... a new player wants MECHs... it is all about MECHs and MECHs! and mastering them so...
the reality is this:
9 mechs with 3 special variants (6 usable mechbays) ability to master all
vs
2 special mechs (no usable mechbays) no mastering for you!

30 days bakned.
vs
30 days active prem time

Also compare this:
4 faction patterns for 3 chassis
vs
1 pattern for two chassis

24 colors
vs
3 colors

All we see here are old time whales with money to burn, praising these packs. I suggest you try and present these packs to a new player and tell us about their reaction. I did... they were first shocked... then started laughing at me.
And the comparison above was made by one of them.... so whales... just continue praising and ignore the reality!

Edited by Navid A1, 21 November 2015 - 06:40 PM.

#131 Tahawus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:05 PM

A very good point, that I hadn't considered. Still, I don't think this is entirely unreasonable, but sales numbers will tell.

#132 Dakkss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 185 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:38 PM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 20 November 2015 - 11:31 AM, said:

Why is everyone claiming the price is so high overlooking the MC included in the pack? The $60 Assault pack comes with $20 worth of MC. Plus $12 worth of premium time, ignoring all the rest of the fluff, that leaves $15 per 100 ton mech, which is significantly cheaper than a 100 ton hero mech.

Because MC in the long run is not a big deal. Most players will do one-shot patterns which are 75 - 125 MC (barely anything). Most people are discouraged from using it to boost GXP. Not many people buy singular mechs with MC, most people buy the packs that come out. The only thing worth having MC for is colours, really.

And the fact that you only get one variant of whichever mech instead of the usual 3 is appalling.

Tvrdoglavi is correct, buying the Assault pack costs more than it would to buy Fallout 4, at least for people in Australia.

#133 Orbit Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 499 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:01 PM

They're just more, expensive, hotrods to add to people's garages. If I didn't already have 1.5M xp sitting on a TBR-C, I'd sure be tempted to pick it up. That DWF-W(S) is calling my name, even though I already have two regular W's.

#134 Tahawus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:34 PM

Thinking back on my start about 3 years ago, when I was loathe to play the multiple transaction game, the MC being included would probably have been a significant inducement.

#135 Setun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 172 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:19 PM

View PostGreyNovember, on 19 November 2015 - 04:31 PM, said:

Will the S variants be available seperately, ever?

I only really want the raven at this point. It's a little too late to entice me for cbill bonuses now. I can live without the fancy addons.

I'm on the same boat as you friend, only I really want the KGC-000b (S), but I don't need/want the dire lol

#136 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:45 PM

I get that this MWO game at its heart is a mech collectible game, much like wizards of the coast Magic the gathering is a card collectible game. However, I need to see more Game developed... I want to see progress, not just tuning, but real progress on the maps, new game modes, and CW. I would like to see a solaris. I would like to see a reason for Units to have coffers.

After how many years, this game still feel half finished, but I have spent hundreds of dollars on it because I love battletech. But I have a large stable of mechs now. I do not think I am spending more on the game until PGI spends more resources doing more Game Development. Mech development, Mech package development and the ilk do not count in my book as game development. Am I dis-satisfied? in a word, yes!

Edited by 7ynx, 22 November 2015 - 10:46 PM.

#137 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:50 PM

View Post7ynx, on 22 November 2015 - 10:45 PM, said:

After how many years, this game still feel half finished, but I have spent hundreds of dollars on it because I love battletech...

You just summarized the marketing/pricing of MWO is a sentence !

#138 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:12 AM

Grabbed the Light Mech pak. Woot! I play Raven 3Ls about 90% of the time, so passing on the c-bill variant would be madness. The +30% bonus is stacking nicely with my +50% premium time. Clearing about 300k per match, which is more than paying for my UAV expenses.

Plus, she feels like she handles better than the C, but maybe that's just my imagination.... ;)

#139 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:49 AM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 23 November 2015 - 05:12 AM, said:

Plus, she feels like she handles better than the C, but maybe that's just my imagination.... ;)

It's the gold-plated myomer interconnects; everyone knows they give the digital-analog conversion much more depth. You'd have to have a lot of seat-time in a D to feel the difference, but once you feel it, it's obvious.

#140 signal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:58 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 21 November 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

A new player with a right mind would NEVER pick any of these...

Why?

because 60$ is a CRAZY high amount and for the same money a new player can easily get a tier 3 resistance 2 pack with:
9 mechs in three weight classes he can use in CW (including mechbays) with 3 cbill bonus mechs and 30 days premtime (banked). 4.. FOUR Freaking faction patterns and TWENTY FOUR colors.

Lets be real guys... a new player wants MECHs... it is all about MECHs and MECHs! and mastering them so...
the reality is this:
9 mechs with 3 special variants (6 usable mechbays) ability to master all
vs
2 special mechs (no usable mechbays) no mastering for you!

30 days bakned.
vs
30 days active prem time

Also compare this:
4 faction patterns for 3 chassis
vs
1 pattern for two chassis

24 colors
vs
3 colors

All we see here are old time whales with money to burn, praising these packs. I suggest you try and present these packs to a new player and tell us about their reaction. I did... they were first shocked... then started laughing at me.
And the comparison above was made by one of them.... so whales... just continue praising and ignore the reality!

I can't +1 this enough. These packs are way way too expensive, nothing can justify this price. Users on Steam actually know what a ******* microtransaction is! The key word is micro.
An 80$ or 120$ mech pack is a hard sell, but it gives you a metric **** ton of content, this on the other hand, is hilariously bad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users