Merc Corp Size?

61 replies to this topic

Poll: Your corp size? (173 member(s) have cast votes)

How many members does your Merc Corp currently have?

1. less then 10 (26 votes [15.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.03%

2. 10 - 20 (18 votes [10.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.40%

3. 20 - 30 (14 votes [8.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.09%

4. 30 - 40 (12 votes [6.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.94%

5. 40 - 50 (7 votes [4.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.05%

6. 50 - 60 (19 votes [10.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.98%

7. Voted 60 + (77 votes [44.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LordKaos

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 9 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

I see alot of groups still recuiting when they boast 40+ players and am curious of the average size of merc corps. Personally I think large merc corps could have a negative impact on the game same as if any of the factions ends up with significantly more players.

#2 Grugore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

I say the more the merrier. I would like to see enough members so that you can get a group together anytime you like.

#3 Bad Samaritan

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

Is there any way to actually FORM these units yet other than just saying 'I'm part of Merc-Corps X'?

#4 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

In the short future after the initial release there will be. Its part of the Community Warfare Pillar ® Piranha is boasting about to bring together a better community experience for its players. So for the time being it is entirely up to the members of a Merc Corp to keep unity amongst its members.

#5 Sept Wolfke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

I think there will be two types of merc. corp:

Pirates and Raiders: takes contracts to disrupt control of a planet by successful conquest and gain the immediate payout that successful accomplishment of this objective provides (as is described in the community warfare blog).

Garrison Capable Merc Corps: takes contracts not just to take control of a planet, but to continually hold it, having a player base large enough to always be able to field a defense.

I think that there will be some resemblance to Eve Online in the border worlds that is the domain of the merc corps, where all the border worlds will be permanently occupied by the large merc corps, who will war against eachother to increase the size of their domain. This is encouraging to me.

Ultimately I think small merc corps will be like guilds that get together to raid and then log off. They may disrupt control of a planet temporarily, but will simply be too small to maintain control of worlds.

So far I'm liking what I'm seeing with the community warfare project, as it applies to the merc world.

Edited by Sept Wolfke, 15 July 2012 - 03:49 PM.

#6 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:53 AM

View PostLordKaos, on 10 July 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

I see alot of groups still recuiting when they boast 40+ players and am curious of the average size of merc corps. Personally I think large merc corps could have a negative impact on the game same as if any of the factions ends up with significantly more players.

I have 700+ members within BWC as a whole. Should we just go form our own faction and stop recruiting?

#7 BFett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

View PostFirefly, on 16 July 2012 - 05:53 AM, said:

I have 700+ members within BWC as a whole. Should we just go form our own faction and stop recruiting?

Yes, I recommend that you do form your own faction, as 700+ members is by far the largest Merc Corp I have heard of yet. Good luck making sure everyone is maximizing loyalty points by taking contracts from the correct house.

#8 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

I'm interested in winning matches, crushing opposition, and more importantly sharing brotherhood whilst having loads of fun. Loyalty points are a distant secondary concern for me.

#9 Hunter McGee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Location#7 Hiring Hall Tower. 3, Harlech City, Outreach

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

We currently have about 10 on the roster, but we have 15 to 20 more that are waiting till D-Day to become too active, you know how it is... they like to play, not wait around.

#10 Walter Soebchak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 157 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

We are currently only 11 members, but we don't aim to get much bigger than that. Our goal for the time being is 16 members, see how that goes, and expand up from there.

Edited by Walter Soebchak, 16 July 2012 - 12:37 PM.

#11 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostLordKaos, on 10 July 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

Posted Image

How are we negative again?

#12 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

View PostDihm, on 17 July 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

Posted Image

How are we negative again?

This is my interpretation:

"Large merc units that easily outnumber any particular faction can basically take over all of the space that faction owns." Or something like that. I don't think I'm properly phrasing my thought, but that's essentially the gist. Basically like playing a three-way MMO where one side has all the players because of how uber the gear/art/stats are, and the other two basically take it to the root.

#13 LordKaos

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 9 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

My point was only to gauge the size of my own corp against others and to see if anyone else was worried about the idea of this ending something like Aion where there are bonus for controlling the extra forts(like the planets) and towards the end everyone chose the Asmodians over the Elyos because items and that were cheaper being on their side.

As for should you stop recruiting at 700, your call buddy. Though good luck keeping organization with a group that large.

One of my mates was reading up on it after I made this poll and he said that merc corps can only have 1 world, if this is the case then it won't be so bad for us little merc corps. Time will tell.

#14 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:21 AM

View PostLordKaos, on 17 July 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

My point was only to gauge the size of my own corp against others and to see if anyone else was worried about the idea of this ending something like Aion where there are bonus for controlling the extra forts(like the planets) and towards the end everyone chose the Asmodians over the Elyos because items and that were cheaper being on their side.

As for should you stop recruiting at 700, your call buddy. Though good luck keeping organization with a group that large.

One of my mates was reading up on it after I made this poll and he said that merc corps can only have 1 world, if this is the case then it won't be so bad for us little merc corps. Time will tell.

Do you feel anything over 40 is "large"? Also, I highly doubt BWC is at 700+, considering their abject refusal to participate in the Operation Steel Dominion stat gathering because they were worried about "OpSec".

What we know of MWOs metagame so far seems to make your fears of large merc units taking over the game baseless. Hell, the metagame won't even be IN at Open Beta launch.

Here's some of what we "know", all subject to change.
  • Matches are limited to 12 vs 12.
  • It appears units can only hold one world at a time.
  • Taking contracts leads to loyalty point gain with that faction, and loss with others, and the higher the LP of the unit, the better contracts. You can't switch from one faction to another and instantly take a planet, you have to start from scratch on LP.
  • We have no clue how the contract system will really work.
  • PGI will put in place some sort of perk/benefit system for factions who are undermanned.
To me, I don't see how being "large" is some massive negative for the community, especially not if "large" is 40+.

Edited by Dihm, 18 July 2012 - 06:22 AM.

#15 John Clavell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:37 AM

Who cares about how big or how many people anyone has? Have fun, shoot people in the face, drink beer, eat healthy.

#16 swamp hag

• WC 2017 Participant
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:51 AM

View PostJohn Clavell, on 18 July 2012 - 06:37 AM, said:

Who cares about how big or how many people anyone has? Have fun, shoot people in the face, drink beer, eat healthy.

This is why I <3 you, JC.

#17 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

View PostJohn Clavell, on 18 July 2012 - 06:37 AM, said:

That's... my point?

#18 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

View PostDihm, on 18 July 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

That's... my point?

Sorry, I was not directly replying to your post. But yes, in a nutshell I offering support to the camp in which people don't really mind how big or small a merc corp may or may not be.

#19 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

Don't worry, I am just an egomaniac and think everything revolves around me.

#20 EmyLightsaber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationValhalla, Outworlds Alliance

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

View PostDihm, on 18 July 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

Don't worry, I am just an egomaniac and think everything revolves around me.

you mean you hold on to the lightbulb, and the world revolves around you?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users